February 3rd, 2011: 3-NIGHT DREAM CRUISE (lots of pics!) - COMPLETED 3/3!

DAY 3 - February 5th, 2011 - Castaway Cay (Part 1)

There was no need to set an alarm for today. The thrusters of the ship woke us up as we were arriving at Castaway Cay! We didn’t mind though...we like this “natural” alarm clock! As we were waking up, I decided to take a picture of the detailing on the red pillow they place on the bed:

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

At about 8:45 we started getting ready and by 9:15 we were on our way to Cabanas for another scrumptious breakfast! Apparently, everyone else had the SAME idea as it was VERY crowded (but that was to be expected in all honesty). Breakfast, once again, was very satisfactory and within 20 minutes or so, we were on our way down to the gangway.

For whatever reason, the gangway being used was the forward one. As the ship backed in (which is what happens the majority of the time), this meant we were getting off the ship at the furthest point from all the island stuff. It was a MADHOUSE trying to get off the ship. The stairwells were backed up. The elevators were backed up. The elevator lobby on deck 1 forward was packed. It was just a mob of people trying to get off. Eventually, we got off and it was smooth sailing from then on out.

We didn’t make it too far before stopping. A sort of “tradition” for us is to get a picture with whatever character is at the Post Office (the only exception has been when Stitch was the character...we just kept on walking...not a fan of Stitch). At the Post Office, we normally see Chip & Dale (and for whatever reason, we always seem to purchase that picture from Shutters...I guess it always turns out well!). This time, Daisy was there! That’s fine! So, we got in line, and we noticed that the Post Office was actually open:

IMG_7469.jpg

(I had to take a picture, because when we went with my parents, my Mom made sure to buy a post card on the island and as we were walking back to the ship, the darn thing wasn’t even open!)

While we were waiting in line, some guy passed and said “Oh look! It’s Daffy!” Really dude? Daffy?! Disney Cruise Line. D-I-S-N-E-Y. And it was a female duck anyway. Oy. Sorry.

ANYWAY, we took a picture, but found it interesting that Daisy didn’t have an “attendant” with her...just the photographer.

After that, we continued walking toward the beach. On the way, we noticed that there were ZERO shore excursions cancelled! We couldn’t believe it...normally that board is full of cancelled excursions when we’ve been to Castway Cay. So, naturally, I took a picture!

IMG_7473.jpg

We continued walking and stopped at Mount Rustmore to get a picture with Minnie and Goofy. Minnie was looking quite scandalous in her short little shorts, though! What would Mickey say?! Here are some pictures looking back at the ship from this point:

IMG_7474-1.jpg

IMG_7475-1.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

We walked further along, knowing that our final destination was going to be Serenity Bay. Sometimes we walk there, but it was already pretty warm so we decided to take the tram. The “new” tram stop was confusing as it didn’t seem to outright say the tram was going to Serenity Bay. It listed a tram stop that we had passed on the way, and that was not the direction we wanted to go. Maybe we missed something, or maybe it provides tram service to two different tram stops? Either way, we hopped on the tram and it went to Serenity Bay.

After the lovely ride there, we went to the beach to find a couple of chairs to claim. Thankfully we didn’t have to walk too far. We plopped our stuff down, put some lotion on, and started absorbing as much sunlight as we could in our loungers! Here was the view from our loungers:

IMG_7481.jpg

Shortly after getting settled, we flagged down a bartender walking along to beach so that we could order some Konk Koolers. He took our order and it took almost 20 minutes to receive our drinks. I know we were lazy and didn’t go to the bar ourselves, but this seemed a little too long for our liking. We were craving the drink and couldn’t stand to wait so long, haha!

In all honesty, it was probably the worst Konk Kooler I’ve ever had. It wasn’t bad by any means, it just wasn’t near as great as it normally is. I guess it all depends on who makes it! So, we started inhaling our drink:

IMG_7492-1.jpg

After slurping it alllll down, we ventured to the water. BRRRRRR! It was way too cold for my liking. James pointed out this fish to me:

IMG_7493.jpg

More pictures of the beach/water:

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

Looking back at our loungers:

IMG_7498.jpg

Within 5 minutes I was back in my lounger. I was already sweating a great deal at this point, and I really wanted to just swim in water that wasn’t so cold. James felt the same way. How pathetic of us! It was only 11:15 and we were ready to get back on the (amazing) ship! We normally like to at least eat on the island before heading back to the ship but (a) we were still stuffed from breakfast and (b) they didn’t start serving until 11:30! So, on a tram we went back to the family beach area! NOTE: we LOVE Castaway Cay! It’s just, we love the new Dream as well and want to spend more time on it! Three days just isn’t enough! Also, seeing as this was my 8th cruise, I’ve spend a fair amount of time on the island, too. We also hoped that the ship would be deserted, thus allowing us to explore even more without a bunch of people around!

Waiting for the tram, I took a couple more pictures:

IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7504.jpg

And more pictures as we were heading back to the ship:

IMG_7509.jpg

IMG_7510.jpg

IMG_7512.jpg

IMG_7515.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

Before long, we were back at the ship. I wanted to get some pictures of our stateroom location (since we were facing the dock side), so we made sure to do that before getting back on the ship. James pointing to our stateroom window (the one above his finger):

IMG_7526.jpg

What was first on our agenda? A ride on the AquaDuck (with NO line, hopefully)! We got our wish and waited barely 5 minutes (more like 2-3 actually). We each rode separately to try and get pictures of each other while on the ride. After that, I wanted to enjoy some time in the Quiet Cove Pool. Off we went, and I was a little disappointed when we got there. There was only a SLIVER of sunlight on the pool!

IMG_7534.jpg

Bad design on Disney’s part. Architecturally, the area looks quite wonderful. However, there’s so much that it blocks sunlight from reaching the pool (unlike the Magic/Wonder where it’s more open). Oy. So much for relaxing IN the water AND getting some sun. After about 15 minutes, we were done with the pool and decided to now grab some lunch at Cabanas. Before leaving, I took more pictures of the area:

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7536.jpg

IMG_7538.jpg

Ship in the distance:
IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7541-1.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

On our way to Cabanas, you all won’t BELIEVE what we saw!!!! Remember the story I included in Day 1 of this trip report about James not getting to ride the AquaDuck?:

James didn’t get a chance to ride it the AquaDuck our Preview Cruise for a valid reason: We were in line (line was about 30 minutes long on the Castaway Cay day for this cruise), and the lady in front of us kept talking about disgusting food she’s eaten and how it’s made her sick, and blah blah blah. Mind you, at this point we were inside the funnel portion of the line with NO air flow and it was quite warm that day. And to top it all off, the teenage boy in front of us had something seriously wrong with one of his big toes. It had dried blood on it, and like dried pus/fungus looking stuff allllll over it. GROSS! With all these factors, James started to get sicker by the minute before ultimately turning ghost white and said he felt like he was going to throw up, so away he went. The sad thing was, we were like third in line to get on at this point! So, I tragically rode by myself while he tried to make himself feel better. When I got off, he thankfully didn’t end up throwing up, but still wasn’t feeling too hot.

Well, that boy was TOTALLY in line to ride the AquaDuck! James’ comment (without hesitation): “No more AquaDuck for us this trip!” HAHAHAHA! So true. But what are the odds?! And on we kept walking with our minds set on food at Cabanas!

TO BE CONTINUED...(still TWO more parts from today!)

Extra Castaway Cay pictures taken on our December cruise (our first time seeing all the new additions). I though I’d include them seeing as though I would have taken all these pictures on this cruise had we not had all these!

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

New merchandise shop:
IMG_5627.jpg

New volleyball court area:
IMG_5628.jpg

Kiddie area:
IMG_5629.jpg

Where the volleyball court used to be:
IMG_5630.jpg

New “Cookies Too” restaurant:
IMG_5633.jpg

Teen area:
IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

Tram stop turned into a game area:
IMG_5655.jpg

We are cruising on the Dream in September so we are sooooo excited and I have absolutely loving your TR but i do have one question ..... in the restaurants do they have a childrens option or do the children eat the same as the adults??? Oh 2 questions sorry ..... If there is a childrens option, can an adult order from the childrens menu???

Many Thanks and looking forward to your next installment xxxx

I'm loving this TR, too. My sister and I are taking our mother on a 3-day in February, 2012 for her 70th birthday.

We are cruising on the Dream in September so we are sooooo excited and I have absolutely loving your TR but i do have one question ..... in the restaurants do they have a childrens option or do the children eat the same as the adults??? Oh 2 questions sorry ..... If there is a childrens option, can an adult order from the childrens menu???

Many Thanks and looking forward to your next installment xxxx

I haven't cruised yet, but I think I know the answer to your question. There is a kids' menu at each restaurant. (Here's are photos of the childrens' menus: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58989703@N02/?saved=1 ) It sounds like the kids' menu is a separate menu and is usually only given to kids. However, adults can get a kids' menu by requesting one from their server, and anybody can order off either menu.

Loving the report although I cannot believe you left Castaway Cay! I consider that place heaven on earth. Your pics bring back many good memories :)

Thanks for the wonderful report with all the great pictures. I am taking my very first cruise ever, on this ship in September.

I have a couple questions about the aquaduck. Are there a lot of stairs to climb to get on it? Does it let you off near where you get on?

I have mobility issues, but I am definitely going to ride this at least once. I just did not know how far apart the entrance and exit are, so that I could leave my wheelchair or scooter nearby.

I am also trying to decide if I want to bring a scooter or go with the regular wheelchair for this cruise. The scooter gives me more freedom, but I am thinking the regular chair will be needed for the shore excursions??

I know we do have an accessible cabin on deck 2, and I can't wait!!!!!!!!

So glad you're back to feeling better! I've loved reading your TR and been checking daily for updates. Your pictures are THE BEST!!! With the Dream being a new ship, your pictures really help those of us never having set foot on it get a better visual. I'm so glad you included the food pics with food likes/dislikes. It's even helping me decide what to order! Thanks for sharing. We leave NEXT WEEK!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Let me answer some questions that have come up! Keep the questions/comments coming! I love reading all of them!

And thanks to design_mom for answering one of the questions for me!

Loving the report although I cannot believe you left Castaway Cay! I consider that place heaven on earth. Your pics bring back many good memories :)

I know, I know! We're crazy. We truly do LOVE Castaway Cay, though! We just really wanted more time on the ship since it was a 3-night cruise. Our next cruise (the EBTA) we plan to spend all day there before our 6 days at sea in a row, haha!

I'm absolutely loving your report; thanks so much for taking the time to share!

You're welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Thanks for the wonderful report with all the great pictures. I am taking my very first cruise ever, on this ship in September.

I have a couple questions about the aquaduck. Are there a lot of stairs to climb to get on it? Does it let you off near where you get on?

I have mobility issues, but I am definitely going to ride this at least once. I just did not know how far apart the entrance and exit are, so that I could leave my wheelchair or scooter nearby.

I am also trying to decide if I want to bring a scooter or go with the regular wheelchair for this cruise. The scooter gives me more freedom, but I am thinking the regular chair will be needed for the shore excursions??

I know we do have an accessible cabin on deck 2, and I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Regarding the AquaDuck, essentially you're walking up stairs from the bottom of the funnel all the way up to the top (roughly 2 decks I would imagine). The exit is somewhat around the corner from where you start going up the stairs for the ride.

So glad you're back to feeling better! I've loved reading your TR and been checking daily for updates. Your pictures are THE BEST!!! With the Dream being a new ship, your pictures really help those of us never having set foot on it get a better visual. I'm so glad you included the food pics with food likes/dislikes. It's even helping me decide what to order! Thanks for sharing. We leave NEXT WEEK!!! :banana::banana::banana:

WOW! Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot! I'm glad I can help others in their planning process!

Thanks for the awesome pics!

No prob! Thanks for reading!

I'm starting to work on the second (of 3) parts for the Castaway Cay day! Stay tuned!

I love reading your trip report. Nice pictures!

We are going in March. Wondering how was the debarkation process? On Magic/Wonder, we always skip the dining room breakfast and leave our stateroom around 8:15am, grab some quick breakfast at Topsider and get off the ship. We were always out at the port before 8:45am.

how are the prices on the souveniers, like tshirts and towels. I likes the castaway cay towel in your photo

I love reading your trip report. Nice pictures!

We are going in March. Wondering how was the debarkation process? On Magic/Wonder, we always skip the dining room breakfast and leave our stateroom around 8:15am, grab some quick breakfast at Topsider and get off the ship. We were always out at the port before 8:45am.

The debarkation process wasn't too bad. We went to our scheduled breakfast at 7:45 in Enchanted Garden, ate cereal and left. There wasn't a line to get off the ship...there was, however, a line to get through customs in the baggage terminal. Thankfully it kept moving, so it wasn't too bad.

how are the prices on the souveniers, like tshirts and towels. I likes the castaway cay towel in your photo

I believe the t-shirts range from $19.95-$24.95. Not sure on the towels though.

Loving your trip report. Thanks so much for taking the time!!!

You're welcome! It's my pleasure!

Great Trip report! I am definitely following along :thumbsup2

We chilled for a second or two, then found our way back to the atrium to check out this “Princess Gathering” (six princesses! WOW!):
IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

This right here is going to make the whole trip worth it for my daughter. I can't wait!!

DAY 3 - February 5th, 2011 - Castaway Cay (Part 2)

We entered Cabanas to find it practically deserted! (Not too surprising...everyone was on the island!) Naturally, I snapped some photos!

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7546.jpg

We were seated right by the window. (Good view of the island!)

IMG_7550.jpg

Did you notice the window all cracked?! Here’s a close up:

IMG_7551-1.jpg

Once we were settled, we went up to the buffet to fill up a plate! Dessert anyone?

IMG_7548.jpg

We enjoyed yet another scrumptious meal. I must say, I really do enjoy dining at Cabanas!

Our dessert plate:
IMG_7552.jpg

On our way out, I made sure to take some more pictures (are we surprised?! Haha).

IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7555.jpg

IMG_7556.jpg

IMG_7557.jpg

IMG_7558.jpg

So let’s see. We left the island early. We rode the AquaDuck. We had lunch. What should we do? Why go exploring of course! There’s always SOMETHING to see on this huge, beautiful ship! We had Palo reserved for tonight...why not go check out that area?? And so we did. On the benefit cruise, we were able to walk through Palo, but the doors to Remy were not unlocked at the time we were exploring the area. Could we get into Remy this time?

I like the decor of the area/elevator lobby outside Palo/Remy/Meridian:

IMG_7559.jpg

The podium to check in for dinner:
IMG_7560.jpg

Looks like maintenance was doing some work inside Palo! Better get it done before dinner tonight!
IMG_7561.jpg

Remy/Palo menus:
IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7564.jpg

Next, we walked through Meridian (the lounge/bar in between Palo and Remy).

IMG_7565.jpg

There was a door leading to an outdoor area outside Meridian, so outside we went!

IMG_7567-1.jpg

Back inside Meridian:

IMG_7570.jpg

Nature was calling, so we went to the bathroom real fast (back by the elevator lobby/stairwell). We opened the door and our jaws dropped! Look how beautiful the BATHROOM is!

IMG_7573-1.jpg

IMG_7574-1.jpg

Then, we went back towards Remy and oh my gosh! The door was unlocked! Do we sneak in and have a look around? OF COURSE!

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7581.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7584.jpg

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7587.jpg

Next, we decided to head outside to Goofy’s Sports Deck area. Here’s some of the artwork in the elevator lobby before heading outside (appropriately themed):

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

Clock/basketball court:
IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

Different angle of the AquaDuck:
IMG_7591.jpg

No one was at the mini-golf course, so we played a round! We had fun and goofed off (get it? “Goof”ed off!)...definitely worth checking out. Disney did a good job adding this!

Before long, we found our way heading back toward the atrium. As we walked past the Vista Cafe, I saw they had chocolate covered strawberries for the taking! I am a HUGE sucker for these. Thankfully, between here and the Quiet Cove Cafe, I was able to get one (or two) each day of the cruise!

IMG_7601.jpg

DVC desk:
IMG_7602.jpg

Port Adventures desk:
IMG_7605.jpg

And then we went back to our room for a hot second, and got depressed when we saw this:

IMG_7607.jpg

We looked through the Navigator and we saw that “Making of the Dream” was being shown in the Buena Vista Theatre at 2:30pm. A movie all about the making of the Dream? Okay! Sounds right up our alley! So, off we went!

Fun picture along the way:
IMG_7609.jpg

Inside the Buena Vista Theatre:
IMG_7610.jpg

IMG_7611.jpg

IMG_7612.jpg

It wasn’t long before we realized that this wasn’t going to be a movie. Rather, it was going to be a sort of presentation. There were maybe 50 people at most in the theatre. Sure enough, a member of the cruise staff pretty much gave us a PowerPoint presentation about the making of the Dream. I must say, there wasn’t much we didn’t already know and I felt like I was in a college lecture all over again. The guy did a GREAT job presenting it, but I just wasn’t in the mood for a “lecture.” One thing he did say stuck with both of us, though. You know that LONG hallway going away from the atrium towards Animator’s Palate? The hallway that runs alongside the Royal Palace? Well, there are “sketches” of Disney princesses all along the hallway. These sketches are meant to connect the space between to two restaurants together. Get it? Princesses (Royal Palace) in their sketch form (Animator’s Palate). Pretty neat, eh? They think of everything!

After the riveting “presentation”, more wandering ensued. I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the Luigi’s menu and station, so I snapped some photos at this point.

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

And, back to the room we went to relax before “Disney’s Believe” at 5:00. We turned on “D2: The Mighty Ducks” in hopes of finishing it before the show. (Almost made it, too!)

TO BE CONTINUED!

Thanks for more of the report, I am really enjoying it. Remy looks so elegant, I'm glad you were able to sneak in. Karyn

This report is FABULOUS!!!! :worship:

I LOVE all the pictures and you have really captured your cruise in word form. I feel like I've been on the Dream! YAY! Can't wait until we book for 2013!!!

Thank you,

Joelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter