Feb 1st any news on the rest of 2014?

I haven't done a Med cruise yet, but Alaska was awesome with a 5 year old and so many exciting excursions to chose from it was hard to narrow it down in each port. I don't think I would have wanted such a long international flight with a 5 year old for a med cruise. ;)

A few pix...

photo4.jpg

Had the Mickey pool to herself (and yes it was warm enough to swim)
photo3.jpg

Saw a pod of Orcas in Juneau (DD still talks about it)
Orcas6.jpg

Train in Skagway with Suspension bridges
P9022700.jpg

P9022796.jpg

Glacier tour
IMGP9956Large.jpg

Awesome pics! Still leaning towards Alaska with him, right now seems more his style. For us in NH it would probably be faster to get to Europe than Alaska though, to be honest ahaha.

I've been to Rome and Venice and while they were beautiful, interesting and architecturally stunning cities, I can't see my son being interested in seeing any of it. I'm going to book Alaska in 2014 if it's offered and wait to do a Med cruise when he's older. He will be 7 in the summer of 2014. I think he will get a kick out of seeing the wildlife, all of the trees, etc. since we live in a desert, panning for gold, seeing the lumberjack show, and experiencing a dog musher camp. He's always begging me to take him camping and hiking. I think he'd really love Alaska.

I know, I totally agree and that's what I am trying to determine. I do believe Alaska seems more like him right now, that was why I was trying to see what excursions people did in Europe since I do see some geared towards the kids, but I just don't know anything about them.

We sailed Alaska last summer during the last week of August. There were still bergey bits floating as we sailed through Tracy Arm Fjord. I don't know what it looked like in May to compare though.

GREAT thanks! I haven't settled on a time to go yet, but good to know we could still see the "calves" (funny name!).

I have to say my boys were 15 & 12 at the time and even ds12 couldn't sit to watch the glacier calve more than a few minutes at a time. He could easily take himself back to Edge when he got bored. This is the same child who spent half our time at the Grand Canyon playing with a stick in the dirt. :laughing:
There were lots of small kids on the cruise but I sort of felt bad for their parents who missed a lot of viewing time to take care of their young children. If you don't mind missing out some things, then do it.
We are doing the Med this year and though both boys enjoy history, must come from dh's side, :sick: we'll probably do the Top Car Museum (Prince of Monaco's car collection) in Villefranche since ds12 loves cars so hopefully will be one less day he might find things a bit boring after a while.

I totally think that is the thing, gotta find the right things for him to do in order to decide. I am sure I can drop him in the kids club to watch Tracy Arm. Then again I'd feel bad I did that, too. How far is the kids club from the top deck so I could run him down when he was bored:rotfl2:

Yes, kids get antsy watching glaciers, but i can't imagine them enjoying the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg, or the Russian ballet either, both of which were major highlights of our Baltic cruise. The Sistine Chapel and Pompeii are also amazing but I doubt a small child would appreciate them, and all the walking involved. The pope made an appearance at the Vatican when I was there, along with sooooo many tour buses and cheering crowds(!) -- it would be difficult to keep track of little ones there as well.

As previous posters have mentioned, there are kid-friendly shore excursions to do in Alaska. I'd recommend saving the historical sites in europe for when the kids are old enough to appreciate them more.

BTW, there's enough glacial ice in May that some ships can't get all the way into Tracy's Arm and/or have visited another "arm" in the area.

Good to know again about the glaciers! Thanks. Exactly what I want to know. Is the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg a kid's touch n feel museum ;) Just kiddin'. Everything you said about not being at the age where he would likely appreciate a lot of this stuff is what runs through my mind. He might appreciate the Pope though since he goes to a Catholic school, but I don't have a good track record with the guy. Last time I was to see him in audience, he was dying! I'd feel almost wrong trying to go back again! :rolleyes1

We did the Med in 2011 when our kids were 6 and 8 (almost 7 and 9). And we did Alaska in 2012 when they were 8 and 10 (my DD turned 10 in Juneau). Both cruises were fabulous, but as a family, the Med gets the nod. My kids did GREAT throughout our entire 19-day trip which included several days in Barcelona prior to the cruise and a few days in Paris after. We deliberately opted for excursions that were not museum-heavy, but we had some long days, and they held up fine and were interested in what we were doing, including St. Peter's in the Vatican. We did things like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pompeii, Capri, Rome highlights like the Trevi Fountain and the Coliseum. I'd highly recommend the Med cruise as a way to introduce younger children to Europe. My kids also really enjoyed Alaska, but I think they missed getting to swim a lot on the ship which they were able to do on our sea days in the Med (we did the 11-day which had 2 much-needed sea days to regroup in between the very intensive port days). I would be a little leery of the 7-day Med cruises which don't have any days in between the ports. The highlight for us in Alaska was taking a helicopter to the glacier and dog sledding. I highly recommend this if you opt for Alaska.

Good to think about with the 7 day "go, go, go" pace! Luckily I think my son would be ok with not swimming really. He swims almost every day at home, so it typically isn't a must have with him. But the rest to break up the busy port days is really something to think about!

My 5yo dancing with Belle at the Catherine's Palace Ball in St. Petersburg. Priceless

4873890064_c0eb665412.jpg

4873279897_14b31612a4.jpg

At Tivoli, touring and riding rides...

4873237541_3e3f7852cf.jpg

And in the Med the next yr at Cincque Terre

5815749605_267eca5436.jpg

With dw and both my boys in Rome
5816273252_1bdea49e6a.jpg

My youngest at the time watching us sail into Malta
5816139384_703e0f9583.jpg

We had a great time on both cruises.

The Belle pics are so cute!! What sort of excursions did you do while in Europe?
From your pics, I don't think these are the same ports offered this year (who knows about next!). I see you are heading on an ABD this year? Have you done those before? If you have been before, which do you think is a better option, the cruises or the ABD?

I really appreciate everyone's help!!! I really hope they release them tomorrow so someone can shed some light for me on what is offered. Maybe that will help my decision making popcorn:: waiting waiting waiting

Here's a YouTube video review. There's others for each day.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fge5Jtl3qf4

They had a DCL excursion where they opened up Tivoli an hour or 2 before the general public. They gave a tour of the park and then you were free to ride the rides. The rides included classic rides and modern roller coasters etc. It's certainly not Disneyland, but it is charming and you can see the influence it had on Walt.

The Belle pics are so cute!! What sort of excursions did you do while in Europe?
From your pics, I don't think these are the same ports offered this year (who knows about next!). I see you are heading on an ABD this year? Have you done those before? If you have been before, which do you think is a better option, the cruises or the ABD?

The first few pics are from the 2010 Baltic. Seems like there's a possibility DCL will be returning there next yr. We'll soon see. We did the Catherine's Ball "excursion" in Russia. Definitely not your typical excursion... More of an event. The Tivoli excursion was in Copenhagen. The other ports we either did on our own or with a private guide.

In the med, we mostly did private tours or own our own. We did a tour in Palermo, but its unlikely they're going there next yr. In general I think a mix of excursions, doing things on your own, and a private guide for a couple of ports is a good mix.

I've been to most of the Western Med ports a couple of times now between a DCL cruise and other trips. I'm still looking forward to seeing them again this summer. There are so many things to do in places like Rome and the south of France, it's always a new adventure. I've never been to Greece or Turkey so I am especially looking forward to that. As far as booking a new cruise, I'll be looking into the possible Repo cruise to Dover and/or the Baltic again. I do hope they offer a new port or two on the Baltic. We'll see.

As far as ABD vs DCL, without hesitation I prefer ABD. However, I have young children including a new infant. European cruises with the kids is a blast. With young kids its the only way to go. But we did take our oldest on an ABD this past summer (7 ys old at the time) and it was wonderful. If I had older kids, I'd concentrate on ABD - no doubt.

So , getting back to the original subject of this post (although I certainly enjoy everyone's comments, pics, etc:-)) does anyone know what TIME the new itineraries may be released tomorrow? Are we talking first thing in the morning or just at some point tomorrow? I can't book until Wednesday, but I'm just so anxious and excited!!! Looking for Alaska in August 2014...although all this talk of Europe sounds tempting too!

So , getting back to the original subject of this post (although I certainly enjoy everyone's comments, pics, etc:-)) does anyone know what TIME the new itineraries may be released tomorrow? Are we talking first thing in the morning or just at some point tomorrow? I can't book until Wednesday, but I'm just so anxious and excited!!! Looking for Alaska in August 2014...although all this talk of Europe sounds tempting too!

yes!!! I sure hope it is tomorrow. My question is, will we even see anything online before Wednesday? I know that Platinum and Gold can't book online on Tuesday, so would the Monday release (oh please oh please:wizard: ) just show up for people like the TAs? How does this work?

Right I realise only they can book, but do you know if the schedules are released can everyone see them online or will only TAs see them on Monday and Tuesday and the gold and platinum people have to call in and ask a zillion questions to find out what cruises are available? I guess I'm just wondering if we (those who any book until Weds) can plan starting Monday and Tuesday just by seeing the web page but of course no options to book until Weds?

pequele said:
Right I realise only they can book, but do you know if the schedules are released can everyone see them online or will only TAs see them on Monday and Tuesday and the gold and platinum people have to call in and ask a zillion questions to find out what cruises are available? I guess I'm just wondering if we (those who any book until Weds) can plan starting Monday and Tuesday just by seeing the web page but of course no options to book until Weds?

I don't think anyone will see anything online until Wednesday. At least how the beginning of 2014 release was I'm pretty sure.

You won't see anything on the DCL page but most Platinum/Gold Disers will post rates and dates from quotes that they have received on each ships 2014 Sticky thread at the top of the boards. So that will give you an idea of rates and whether they are rising fast or remaining steady.

You won't see anything on the DCL page but most Platinum/Gold Disers will post rates and dates from quotes that they have received on each ships 2014 Sticky thread at the top of the boards. So that will give you an idea of rates and whether they are rising fast or remaining steady.

Oh, how does that work? I just look there and see what they are getting? Is there a list updated or do I just have to keep going to the end? I wouldn't be able to call a TA on Monday or Tues would I, even if I can't book?

Has any one else heard anything about the announcement coming tomorrow? I talked to my TA today and he seems to think the announcement won't be made until Tuesday with booking starting on Wednesday.

What exactly do they announce ahead of time if it isn't dates/itineraries...? Just a quick 'Hey, gold & plat you can book the unknown tomorrow and silver & new can book the STILL unknown Wed"? Surely there is a place of dates/ports so we can actually know what we want to book...? :worried: I don't like the idea of finding out just to have to wait all day to talk it over with my husband that night, possibly letting the rates go higher and higher... :crazy2:

Usually the quotes are updated throughout the day in the first post.

I meant to say that the only information that will be gotten the first day for gold/plat is by phone. There will be nothing available ot look at online or elsewhere for rates. That was the reason we started doing the opening day threads here to share that info with everyone else.

pequele said:
Oh, how does that work? I just look there and see what they are getting? Is there a list updated or do I just have to keep going to the end? I wouldn't be able to call a TA on Monday or Tues would I, even if I can't book?

If you are using a TA just let them know what you want and let them book you on the day Silver CC/general public can book. What I do is watch the DIS because someone will post what we need to know in order to decide what to tell our TAs what to book on Silver/General Pub day. Don't worry. You will see it on the DIS and have time to make a decision before you can book. Also your TA might send you an email with all of the info. Mine has done that before. Just wait and watch. It will all be here.

What exactly do they announce ahead of time if it isn't dates/itineraries...? Just a quick 'Hey, gold & plat you can book the unknown tomorrow and silver & new can book the STILL unknown Wed"? Surely there is a place of dates/ports so we can actually know what we want to book...? :worried: I don't like the idea of finding out just to have to wait all day to talk it over with my husband that night, possibly letting the rates go higher and higher... :crazy2:

That information will be available and someone will post it here if you don't receive the email. No prices will be posted though. Sometimes there is not an advance notice given...it just opens that day and you find out where they are going at the same time. I transfer our reservations to dates that will work for us based on the schedule and then tell DH what I booked later that day. If you wait on the popular cruise dates especially, the rates will increase even the first day.

If i'm reading this correctly, the big news is the port of Sitka and a possible 9-night AK cruise? Really? THAT's it?? Big deal. Pass on Rest of 2014 if that's the case. :rolleyes1

Subi WRX said:
If i'm reading this correctly, the big news is the port of Sitka and a possible 9-night AK cruise? Really? THAT's it?? Big deal. Pass on Rest of 2014 if that's the case. :rolleyes1

There "should" be more that that..... If the rumors we heard were true, then we will be blown away!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Silverfox97 said:
There "should" be more that that..... If the rumors we heard were true, then we will be blown away!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm counting on it! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!