Favorite Little Thing?

Hi,

I have a few "little things" that I absolutely adore on DCL ships. One of my favorite little things on the ship is hearing the disney music in the hallways as to go into or out of our stateroom. Another thing I love that may be seen as a little thing is the announcement chime that is used when the cruise director or captain has something to the guests, it makes me smile! I also love the napkin hats that the waiters make each member of the family during the character breakfasts. The napkin hats make great pictures and memories!

Watching our amazing server Srejan on the Magic last week great our 17 yr old at the entrance to the MDR almost every night. The two walked to our table arm and arm laughing like old friends. For a kid that usually likes to "fly under the radar" it was so heartwarming so see him brought out of his shell by someone he knew for such a short amount of time. Well done DCL!! It made a mom smile (and a little teary eyed) each night.

It was our first cruise of longer than a week (11 nights) and initially we thought we'd skip the MDR at least once or twice. Nope! There was no way we weren't going to end our day in the careful hands of Srejan and Amphie.

-Different variations of Disney "mood music" depending on the time and destination...
-The water and towels in que to get back on the ship after excursions. I never understood the cold towel served with tongs thing (like in the movies) until they handed me one in Cartagena, Columbia and I could have kissed the girl who gave it to me!
-Door decor
-Mouse ear sprinkles
-Disney Cruise Line Bath Robes are just a request away and oh so magical
-the oversized showers in the gym locker room complete with spa soaps, shampoos, conditioners and lotions (and I never even worked out!) and again...the robe to wear while you are getting ready.
-Characters and their handlers make everything magical
-On our cruise, the captain blew the horn at noon every day. I looked forward to that all 14 days!

I remember the flavored waters! Those were amazing! Gosh, how I had forgotten! There are so many little things I like...from towel animals, the friendly people, Mickey...but I really like the final show and the fairy dust or mickey heads drop from the ceiling! A magical goodbye to the shows!

For us it's the simple "welcome aboard" greetings you get from all the cruise staff. Even the staff doing maintenance stop, smile and say good morning the entire cruise. It really makes us feel welcome.

I didn't enjoy my Castaway Cay experience. I had run the 5K in the morning and it was REALLY hot. I went back and showered and changed and went back to the island. But I was still very hot and miserable. The food wasn't my favorite and was way too heavy for how I was feeling. I couldn't go snorkeling because the mask didn't fit over my glasses (and I can't see with out my glasses, so no point going without). My daughters went parasailing and when we met back up I was not feeling my best and was sort of miserable and cranky. We walked back to the ship because we had just missed the tram and I didn't want to wait. When we got back through "customs" and were nearing the ship they had lemon infused water set up all along the dock. I had one cup and then another. By the time I was back on the ship I had finally cooled off and was feeling better. I'm guessing I got a bit dehydrated on my run even though I drank water every time I passed the water spot (four times plus once at the top of the loop). Who knew that a little lemon water would totally change my entire day. The rest of the day was fabulous and we even found food that was appealing!

It's great to read everyones expierences. :) We will go on our first cruise September 2016, I'm so much looking forward to it! :sail:

you will have a blast!
I remember now how I loved the final goodbye party (see you real soon? can't remember the exact name) and I pointed out the banner they had hung as you exit which said "see you real soon"..nobody else in my family was as impressed but it stays with me. My DGD wanted to watch TRON II of all things! I think she liked sitting in that big beautiful theater almost all alone....there were maybe 10 people there.
The more you think, the more the memories flood back....and FORGET looking at the pictures/videos you shot! You will laugh and, perhaps, cry.
So now it is time for you and yours to make a literal lifetime of memories....remember, life is short and, for some, very short. Give your kids memories..money and possessions are fleeting; memories are permanent

I know its not a little thing but the staff! We have been so lucky on all of our cruises to have amazing staff willing to go above and beyond. When my mom really, really wanted a xmas ornament you could only get by winning the raffle in BINGO (hint: she did not win), we had a staff member surprise her with one on the last day. It was such a sweet gesture and one the many reasons we keep coming back to DCL.

Running into Goofy-wandering around in his pajamas one morning up on deck. He would stagger, stop, wrap himself around a pole and fall back to sleep. Wake up, stagger to a lounge chair, curl up, fall asleep again. He had an audience of kids and adults. It was just hilarious. Little moments to make you smile and laugh out loud. Those little things...

The castmembers in general, from the Captain all the way down. It's wonderful to see the small childrens' eyes light up as they see the REAL Cinderella, Belle, Jasmine, etc. I remember seeing a princess kneel down next to a little girl in a wheelchair, look directly into her eyes, talk to her, and give her a huge hug. I'm sure that girl (and her parents) will remember that forever. I know I will.

I was near the bow of the Fantasy last fall, and there was a perfect rainbow in front of the ship as we were underway. A woman nearby was staring at it. As she was doing so, one of the ships officers walked past. She asked him incredulously, "How do they DO that?"

Without missing a beat or breaking stride, he replied, "Compliments of Mr. Disney."

Our son dug in the sand with Pluto at Castaway Cay. The spent a good 5 minutes together just digging (like dogs, of course). No one was rushing him along. Of all of the wonderful things that happened that week, that was the best for him. That was also the reason we rebooked and decided to bring my mom along.

I have my first little thing, and I haven't even been on a cruise yet: character calls! My daughter's face lit up like a Christmas tree when she heard Mickey and Minnie on the phone. :love:

This thread is all about why we choose to pay more for DCL than we would for "another" cruise….. love it! And all my kids, who were young when DCL first launched, love DCL. And a couple of them are pretty tough customers to please. I loved hearing my engineer son, who can be grumpy at times, tell his bride how wonderful the Disney cruises were that he took growing up. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter