• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Extra room for new countries at world showcase

8 new countries?? Sweet! My choices:

1. Russia
2. Brazil
3. Cuba
4. South Africa
5. Australia
6. India
7. Poland
8. Micronesia/South Pacific Islands

I would love to have Brazil, Egypt and Isreal. I can't see Russia today based on their Politics.

1. Russia
2. Brazil
3. Cuba
4. South Africa
5. Australia
6. India
7. Poland

This is a good start.

These will not happen given the current political climates:
Russia (which is a shame but understandable for now)
Cuba

Brazil, South Africa, Australia, and India are all great choices however, I would like to see what the South Africa pavilion offers before I would take it. There does need to be some type of African country though.

Pacific islands also sound nice.

1. Russia
2. Brazil
3. Cuba
4. South Africa
5. Australia
6. India
7. Poland

Is it wrong that as I read people's suggestions for new countries, all I really consider is what food I can get at whatever restaurant they put in?

Brazil - gotta be a Brazilian Steakhouse, right? So that gets a thumbs up from me.

Poland (full-disclosure: I am 25% Polish) - Kielbasa? pierogies? potato pankcakes? Yes, please.

India - no thanks...they'd have to quadruple the number of restrooms in world showcase.

Australia - maybe. some BBQ and Foster's? That works for me.

Russia - Borscht? Strogonoff? Nah...I'll pass

South Pacific - Nope. Too much seafood and coconut.

South Africa - negative. there's already african cusine at AK/AKL that I avoid

Cuba - Cuban sandwiches, of course, lots of rice....I'm 50/50 on this one.

These will not happen given the current political climates:
Russia (which is a shame but understandable for now)
Cuba
Actually, Russia and Cuba would make fine additions to Epcot's World Showcase.

World Showcase is not about celebrating or vilifying any particular regime or leader. It's not even about the system of government.

Back when World Showcase opened, the real world had the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the so-called German Democratic Republic (Communist East Germany). World Showcase simply had Germany.

Relations between the U.S. and China only began to thaw a few years before the opening of World Showcase, when planning for EPCOT Center was already well underway. Diplomatic relations between the U.S. and China were established on January 1, 1979.

There's nothing wrong with a World Showcase pavilion showcasing a nation's traditional culture, popular culture, architecture, food, and so on.

I find it funny that someone is proposing that they build a fake Cuba in Florida...

A county 90 miles from key west that few Americans have legally been in since 1959

Also...the fact that the last person to slap paint on the stave church in Norway represents the last person ever to participate in construction in the showcase...

And that was 26 years ago...
I know it's all for fun...but don't waste TOO much thought on this.

World Showcase is not about celebrating or vilifying any particular regime or leader. It's not even about the system of government.

Back when World Showcase opened, the real world had the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the so-called German Democratic Republic (Communist East Germany). World Showcase simply had Germany.

Relations between the U.S. and China only began to thaw a few years before the opening of World Showcase, when planning for EPCOT Center was already well underway. Diplomatic relations between the U.S. and China were established on January 1, 1979.

There's nothing wrong with a World Showcase pavilion showcasing a nation's traditional culture, popular culture, architecture, food, and so on.

While I agree with the original intent of the WS unfortunately they won't build them in the near future for the same reason we haven't mentioned Israel. In this day and age I am sure Disney does not want to get into another PR nightmare. They have enough PR issues without adding this to the mix.

Having said that....I do agree that they would be great additions however, I think the big picture plans for WDW is to move in the direction of Star Wars, Cars, Avatar, etc. instead of this. Hopefully since they just changed the head of EC he will at least put a long term plan in place to add countries over say the next 25 years.

I would just like one single new pavilion in the showcase...and perhaps a replacement for imagination and/or wonders of life...

To prove to all of us that the concept of Epcot center hasn't been abandoned and that at least that dream is still part of the experience...

It's more of an ideology than just need for fastpasses and construction

While I agree with the original intent of the WS unfortunately they won't build them in the near future for the same reason we haven't mentioned Israel. In this day and age I am sure Disney does not want to get into another PR nightmare. They have enough PR issues without adding this to the mix.

Having said that....I do agree that they would be great additions however, I think the big picture plans for WDW is to move in the direction of Star Wars, Cars, Avatar, etc. instead of this. Hopefully since they just changed the head of EC he will at least put a long term plan in place to add countries over say the next 25 years.

Israel? Motzah ball soup and pastrami sandwiches....definitely!

~I totally agree that Russia & Cuba would be fabulous additions to Epcot's World Showcase!

~The mouse ears featured in my avatar were created by Russian born Anya Caliendo.Couture Millinery Atelier. Anya Caliendo's fabulous hat collection for Spring/Summer 2014 was a breath of fresh air during New York's fashion week -- it had been decades since a hat designer debuted a full collection of couture hats. Part of her inspiration is drawn by her upbringing in the sparkly snowy countryside of Russia and the Russian Royal Family.

~Her mouse ears, in particular, are what caught my attention. I was immediately drawn to them -- and sought to find a Disney connection. Disney has been known to dabble in the world of fashion every now & then -- as we've witnessed recently with the Electric Holiday collaboration at Barney's.

~And besides, where could one possibly don mouse ear hats outside of Disney World -- other than a costume party or perhaps an editorial piece, lol!

~Anyway, I was totally surprised to find *no* Disney connection -- and I thought that was even *more* fabulous! :cloud9:

AC_Col7-198-Edit+-+Copy.jpg

AC_Col7-198-Edit+-+Copy+(2).jpg

~The hat is simply called ~The Survival Of The MousT Wanted~ from Caliendo's Confessions Collection for SS 2014. The hat has become the *IT* hat from her collection -- at last count there were at least 50 orders for this piece!

10155914_634482619955583_1300169360_n.jpg

~The second hat is called the ~Rocco-Barroque Mouse Hat~.

shocking-2.jpg

~The third hat is not mouse ears but the name alone made me think of Disney, lol!!! It's called ~Shocking - in tribute to the great *Elsa* Schiaparelli~. :lmao:

~It may be somewhat outlandish, but I can totally see Anya Caliendo's Couture Millinery Atelier in Epcot's World Showcase representing Russia and featuring these one of a kind avant garde mouse ear hats for Disney -- and of course, other Russian inspired arts & goods. :artist: :goodvibes

~ETA: I forgot to add that I know this is just wishful thinking on my part -- and that both, Russia & Cuba have been embroiled in way too much conflict and controversy to be considered for Epcot's World Showcase. That's too bad. :(

I was watching the Grand Opening TV special for Epcot on You Tube last night when they mentioned the next three "countries" would be Spain, Israel, and Africa. They even showed a glimpse of a model for Africa. Was nostalgic to see what was/was not there when Epcot opened. On a side note, I watched the one for the Magic Kingdom also. It looked so bare and naked -- none of the trees were very large. Must say that the castle looks much better with the trees. We all remember our favorite things from opening, but seem to forget all the other things that make the parks what they are today.

I was watching the Grand Opening TV special for Epcot on You Tube last night when they mentioned the next three "countries" would be Spain, Israel, and Africa. They even showed a glimpse of a model for Africa. Was nostalgic to see what was/was not there when Epcot opened. On a side note, I watched the one for the Magic Kingdom also. It looked so bare and naked -- none of the trees were very large. Must say that the castle looks much better with the trees. We all remember our favorite things from opening, but seem to forget all the other things that make the parks what they are today.

You might want to check out www.Yesterland.com. Not only do they have info about the World Showcase countries that never were, they also have a photo series called "Then and Now". It compares old photos of WDW to new photos taken from the same spot. You can really see how the tree have grown in some of them.

The good news is Disney knows they need to update Epcot. They have overhauled the board of directors for Epcot and now there is new leadership for the park. Fingers crossed this will mean some changes coming soon. I personally would love to see a new pavilion added.

I would just like one single new pavilion in the showcase...and perhaps a replacement for imagination and/or wonders of life...

To prove to all of us that the concept of Epcot center hasn't been abandoned and that at least that dream is still part of the experience...

It's more of an ideology than just need for fastpasses and construction

Amen to this.

When considering a new pavilion I think there are two things Disney would take into account: Architecture and a unique culture that they can capitalize on. Food is unimportant because everyone has great food!

This is why I believe that Greece and Egypt would be the most likely new pavilions. They both have the architecture and cultural history that can be exploited and they are unique to any other countries at WS.

A lot of the other countries that have been mentioned either lack one or both elements. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see a new addition to World Showcase, but I just think there are not as many possible countries as you would think. Just because you would love to visit a country in real life doesnt mean the country would make a great pavilion. Also, South America, Australia and the Pacific Islands are awesome places that I would love to visit in real life as well as their Disney representations, but wouldnt they be executed much better in Animal Kingdom?

A few people have mentioned Scotland and Ireland. I dont know if they would make an entire pavilion out of one of them, but it would be interesting to see some shops featuring the two countries or maybe a counter service restaurant added to the UK pavilion.

I wish Disney would install pavilions for Brazil and India. That's it. Interesting cultures, they could provide new dynamics to the food selections and nevermind the fact that there really is no corresponding Disney films that would make sense to promote in either land. Spain would be pretty cool if they went that route.

Or, they could just finish the Equatorial Africa one and upgrade that pit-stop in between Germany and China.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter