Extra room for new countries at world showcase

Greece and Egypt would be awesome.

Going by arcitecture, Australia would be good. A scaled down Opera house, BBQ food, digerio doo players etc.

India, I would love due to the cuisine. Though not to spicy! Bollywood dancers in the street, a scaled down Taj Mahal.

Switzerland could be cool!! Especially if they have chocolatiers. People playing the Alphorn, Yodeling, a Wandering Oaken tradings post and Sauna, where big summer blow outs could happen hehe!!

~Tara~

Mike and Natalie said:
I believe at least Morocco had Moroccan government sponsorship.

I beleive they are the only nation that had a hand in building there pavilion. Look for the jacks blog on it on I think allears.

A lot of nations like Isreal and Russia didn't make the cut becuase of political reasons. Disney tries to please everyone with no controversy. There is a few countries that I think could be fun like Brazil or Columbia.

I beleive they are the only nation that had a hand in building there pavilion. Look for the jacks blog on it on I think allears.

The Norwegian government contributed some money to their pavilion. They no longer sponsor it, though.

The Norwegian government contributed some money to their pavilion. They no longer sponsor it, though.

Close...
It was a quasi governmental/private travel consortium with reps from all thigh Scandinavian countries...

It broke up even before the pavilion was opened. I believe the fact it was "Norway" led partially to the Demise.

I believe there are pads for 18 pavilions...there are currently 11 occupied.

EPCOT was the worlds
Largest private construction project at the time... And they built as much as they physically could with the time and all the money they could round up.

It wasn't meant to sit there with addition as it has since 1988...not fulfilling it's own promise.

I know and I recall back then there was going to be equitorial africa, but it was never done due to Animal Kingdom. They just left some of the stores. That is a large area as well.

I know and I recall back then there was going to be equitorial africa, but it was never done due to Animal Kingdom. They just left some of the stores. That is a large area as well.

I think that spot is actually 3 spots...
Currently it's only the backstage illuminations barns...aka "gunpowder depot"

"We can blow it up...you can watch"

My 8.

1. Spain - how did they leave this out to begin with - i never understood
2. Greece - nice culture to represent
3. Russia - again, even with the politics at play now - we cant refute their world power
4. Switzerland - just love the beauty of the country
5. Brazil - could be cool
6. Israel - aren't they our world partners
7. South Africa - we could do a jaws ride :)
8. Fiji - i liked that idea.

great thread btw.

Israel was there during the 2000 celebration. The had a themed movie in their attraction.

Other than Israel, I'd only want to see Kenya or Tanzania, a South American country (Peru? Chili?), and maybe Australia.

Although - an Australia section in AK would be cooler. :)

I know you aren't trying to be a smarty, but while the UK includes Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, the pavillion is very British centered!!!
I would like it if they incorporated the surrounding pavilions into a countries of the United Kingdom display area.
I also would love to see Greece, Russia, Switzerland, Brazil or Argentina, and Australia represented.
Ireland is not part of the UK, and British is a term for all of the UK. British is not a term only for English people (if you must refer to them as something to distinguish from the Scots, Welsh, N. Irish call them English).

If I were to pick a pavilion or two to add, it would be a south american country (probably Brazil) then Russia could work well too due to their distinguishable architecture.

I think at MOST we'll get one new country in EPCOT anytime soon. They've done a large building job at Magic Kingdom, Downtown Disney & Animal Kingdom are currently ongoing. Hollywood Studio's is in need of work and is probably next in lie, but after all that they will get around to EPCOT.

Anew country is a far bigger marketing opportunity than a new attraction(s) in the existing countries or improving bits of Future World.

So let's look at the possible countries first 6 that won't happen

1) Russia - Currently very anti-America and vice versa, the chance to build Russia was during the late 90s but has passed

2) Israel - They are not going to build a pavilion dedicated to a country with a nearly permanent war.

3) Africa - If they suddenly move from countries to a full continent it seems a massive change plus which there's already a Africa section in Animal Kingdom

4) India - Once again already exists in Animal Kingdom, there is no benefit in duplicating an area.

5) Saudi Arabia/Arab Emirates - Morocco seems to have become a catchall for this entire part of the world already so you would be taking away from the Moroccan pavilion to build this one.

6) Spain or Portugal - Different food options not already covered, however architecture and culture not massively different from other existing countries

Now 5 that could happen.

1) Greece - Unique food that isn't anywhere else in Disney World, lots of history and unique architecture to work with and an existing Disney movie to work in.

2) Egypt - Not really touched on in the Africa areas and is unique enough to stand out. Lots of unique standout architecture and mythology to work with.

3) Brazil - Huge marketing opportunity south of the border and unique food/culture to work with along with existing characters. However the characters are already in the Mexican pavilion.

4) Australia - Huge untapped theme with a large untapped market, lots of opportunities. This seems the most likely fit unless it is left out to be placed in Animal Kingdom at a later stage.

5) Switzerland - Already planned out with breath-taking scenery that can be used, everybody wants the Matterhorn ride.

3) Africa - If they suddenly move from countries to a full continent it seems a massive change plus which there's already a Africa section in Animal Kingdom

4) India - Once again already exists in Animal Kingdom, there is no benefit in duplicating an area.

4) Australia - Huge untapped theme with a large untapped market, lots of opportunities. This seems the most likely fit unless it is left out to be placed in Animal Kingdom at a later stage.

There is a huge difference between showcasing human cultures (food, architecture, traditional music, popular culture, etc.) and showcasing animals and their habitats.

One does not preclude the other.

Harambe at Animal Kingdom is a scruffy little village near a wildlife preserve. It does not showcase the traditional and modern cities of equatorial Africa or the country of South Africa. There are completely different stories to be told.

Anandapur at Animal Kingdom is a scruffy little village near the Anandapur Royal Forest. In the forest, nature has reclaimed the land from people, and the old buildings are in ruins. It's about animals. It's not about the people and culture of India. Modern India has a population of around 1.25 billion people, with a rich history, a growing economy, and a popular culture that includes the world's largest film industry.

Australia at Epcot would be likely to focus on the people of Australia, including the Sydney Opera House and a terrific wine industry. Australia at Animal Kingdom would be likely to focus on the unusual wildlife of the continent.

Unfortunately, I don't expect Disney to fund any new countries at Epcot. The only chance would be if a company like Patina Group wants to build another restaurant around World Showcase Lagoon, this time featuring food from a country not currently represented.

I think at MOST we'll get one new country in EPCOT anytime soon. They've done a large building job at Magic Kingdom, Downtown Disney & Animal Kingdom are currently ongoing. Hollywood Studio's is in need of work and is probably next in lie, but after all that they will get around to EPCOT.

Anew country is a far bigger marketing opportunity than a new attraction(s) in the existing countries or improving bits of Future World.

So let's look at the possible countries first 6 that won't happen

1) Russia - Currently very anti-America and vice versa, the chance to build Russia was during the late 90s but has passed

2) Israel - They are not going to build a pavilion dedicated to a country with a nearly permanent war.

5) Saudi Arabia/Arab Emirates - Morocco seems to have become a catchall for this entire part of the world already so you would be taking away from the Moroccan pavilion to build this one.

6) Spain or Portugal - Different food options not already covered, however architecture and culture not massively different from other existing countries

Now 5 that could happen.

1) Greece - Unique food that isn't anywhere else in Disney World, lots of history and unique architecture to work with and an existing Disney movie to work in.

2) Egypt - Not really touched on in the Africa areas and is unique enough to stand out. Lots of unique standout architecture and mythology to work with.

3) Brazil - Huge marketing opportunity south of the border and unique food/culture to work with along with existing characters. However the characters are already in the Mexican pavilion.

5) Switzerland - Already planned out with breath-taking scenery that can be used, everybody wants the Matterhorn ride.

Egypt could be an unwanted magnet

I know it's just wishful thinking, but here are the main countries that I would like to see:

1. India-- I know not everyone does, but I love the food
2. Greece - great food and country
3. Russia - things are tense now, but it seems odd that this country was left out
4. Brazil - can you imagine a Brazilian steakhouse in Epcot? yum!

Close...
It was a quasi governmental/private travel consortium with reps from all thigh Scandinavian countries...

It broke up even before the pavilion was opened. I believe the fact it was "Norway" led partially to the Demise.

The pavilion was going to be Denmark for the longest time. The bathrooms in the area when the park opened were even themed to Denmark style buildings. The pavilion then became a Scandinavia: Norway, Denmark and Sweden pavilion. Representing all three of those countries. Norway ended up being the only county to give money so it became Norway. Ten Norwegian companies gave money while the government gave about half of the funds.

I think Greece, Thailand and India would be natural, given that each has a well-known and popular cuisine that could be an easy draw in world showcase. Each of those also has unique architecture and entertainment associated with the countries.

Ireland could be a popular draw as well, which Raglan Road already shows.

Spain is another that seems obvious.

Netherlands could be interesting.

I think Greece would be an amazing addition. Disney could totally pull off their beautiful cliffs! It would be awesome. Just me daydreaming...:)

I think Greece would be an amazing addition. Disney could totally pull off their beautiful cliffs! It would be awesome. Just me daydreaming...:)

They could add Greece, if only to add a shawarma stand for a very thinly veiled Avengers reference (see: The Avengers near the end, and the post-credits stinger). :scratchin

They could add Greece, if only to add a shawarma stand for a very thinly veiled Avengers reference (see: The Avengers near the end, and the post-credits stinger). :scratchin

Shawarma is an Arab meat preparation. Gyros is a similar but different Greek meat preparation.

The Tangierine Café at Epcot's Morocco has Shawarma on its menu.

Shawarma is an Arab meat preparation. Gyros is a similar but different Greek meat preparation.

The Tangierine Café at Epcot's Morocco has Shawarma on its menu.

You learn something new every day. I didn't know that, actually. Thanks for sharing that!

I've also not been to the Tangierine Cafe, but I know where I'll be stopping next time I'm there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter