Exclusions ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to find out what is and is not included too. I am a dvc member and tried to ask MS about the dining plan all she could tell me is that you order off the reg menu and nothing that she knows of is excluded. I know that is not true and tried to explain that I have read about people being told that they could not order some things from different menus. I am wondering if I call disney dining direct if they can give me a list of what menu items are not included in the plan. On a side note it' funny that the lobster steak combo is not included, the other menu items are only a dollar or two less!

at Teppanyaki, that doesn't leave much else.

At Teppanyaki in Japan the Lobster with the Steak is now considered an "Add On", so it is not included in the plan. Also ordering Sushi as an appetizer is not on the plan.

Appetizers (May 2005)

Sushi Sampler - tuna, yellowtail, salmon nigiri, and two pieces of California roll $7.95

Combo Roll - spicy tuna roll and California roll $7.25

Spicy Tuna Roll - tuna mixed with chili pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil and reverse rolled in sushi rice and seaweed $7.25

California Roll - avocado, cucumber, crab meat, mayonnaise, smelt roe reverse rolled in sushi rice and seaweed $6.95

Edamame young soybean pods $3.59

Garden Salad - mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, carrot topped with ginger dressing $3.29

Misoshiru Soup - soybean soup with tofu and seaweed $2.49

I've had Nachos that were more than $7... so many other restaurants offer more expensive appetizers.

Any chance anyone had a different experience??

sniff...snifff... I was soooo looking forward to that. :sad1:

Heidi

Soup or salad as appetizer makes sense to me.

I must say, I really like the Japanese pavillion. Having sushi in the afternoon and dinner there is quite nice. However, why can't they play like everyone else. They don't give the 20% DDE discount. And, they seem to be the most restrictive with the DP.

I'm getting a little irritated with them! :confused3

bicker said:
Soup or salad as appetizer makes sense to me.

This doesn't make sense to me. I have ordered crab cakes as an appetizer that were more than the price of the sushi. I would think they would let you, but they don't let you order sushi at WPC as an appetizer either. I was so looking forward to a little sushi at WPC, but I didn't want a whole dinner of it, so I had to skip it :(

Disney pays the restaurants a little over $20 including tax and tip. A few restaurants are trying to get the value of the food you get closer to what they're getting paid as opposed to participating in the internet game of seeing what restaurant lets you get the most $$$ worth of food for your 1 TS credit.

It looks like the included entrées are $20-$30. Add an appetizer (even just soup/salad), drink, dessert (even limited to one or two items) tax and tip and the guest is still getting a reasonable deal.

It's a shame some restaurants and some customers have to make a game out of the dining plan. Almost any priced fixed menu limit some menu items and have some surcharges. This restaurant got tired of being the only 1 credit restaurant that offered lobster on the menu.

I'm not making a game out of it. I just think the sushi thing is strange because there are other appetizers that are more expensive or at least the same price as the sushi. When I look at the menus I'm looking at what appeals to me, not so much the price. If I did do that then I would have filet every single night.

Kirsten77 said:
I'm not making a game out of it. I just think the sushi thing is strange because there are other appetizers that are more expensive or at least the same price as the sushi. When I look at the menus I'm looking at what appeals to me, not so much the price. If I did do that then I would have filet every single night.

The game reference was a general comment not directed to any specific poster.

The issue for the restaurant isn't the menu cost of the item but rather the food cost, how labor intensive the item is to prepare/serve and if the item can be prepared in advance. Soup can be made in advance and requires very little labor to serve. The slipper dessert at CRT was labor intensive and was dropped from the menu.

I am sure that some of the non disney owned places would rather the dinning plan didn't exist at all. They are in essence caught between a rock and a hard place. If they don't take the plan then they loose out on customers. If they take the plan then they could loose out on revenue due to the lower compensation. If they go to 2 credits then they risk loosing customers. For these places they really need to make it work on the food service alone. They don't get the additional benefits that Disney does with higher room occupancy and additional revenue from keeping people on site.

In essence the plan works for moderate priced places but does but the higher priced non Disney owned places in a very awkward position.

The higher priced non-Disney restaurants have a chance if customers order adult beverages like wine and specialty coffees such as cappuccino.

The restaurant in Japan became known as the only 1 TS credit restaurant on the plan that had lobster on the menu. They were getting families picking the restaurant just to order lobster and I don't think they were ordering any of the extras.

Those restaurants should be allowed to offer a reasonable price fixed menu as a compromise. For an appetizer allow soup, salad or one or two specialty. Offer almost any entrée and some type of dessert sampler for the table.

Pedler said:
I am sure that some of the non disney owned places would rather the dinning plan didn't exist at all. They are in essence caught between a rock and a hard place. If they don't take the plan then they loose out on customers. If they take the plan then they could loose out on revenue due to the lower compensation. If they go to 2 credits then they risk loosing customers. For these places they really need to make it work on the food service alone. They don't get the additional benefits that Disney does with higher room occupancy and additional revenue from keeping people on site.

In essence the plan works for moderate priced places but does but the higher priced non Disney owned places in a very awkward position.

Lewisc said:
Those restaurants should be allowed to offer a reasonable price fixed menu as a compromise. For an appetizer allow soup, salad or one or two specialty. Offer almost any entrée and some type of dessert sampler for the table.

Having that type of setup, while reasonable, would probably cause more problems for Disney than they would want. Then you would have two different classes of restaurants on the dinning plan, those that let you order off the menu and those with a fixed menu. I would think that would dilute some of what Disney is trying to achieve with the plan by adding an additional complexity. I know it may not seem like its that complex but you can just imagine the irrate dinning plan person showing up at a fixed price menu dinning place and complaining that they can't order what they want. I would think the mouse would want to avoid that.

Like I said its the non Disney places that have it the hardest. I don't see Disney changing the plan just to help them out. It may seem harsh but if the plan works for Disney I wonder how much they care about the effect it has ont he non Disney owned places.

but restaurants already basically do this. Pepper Market limits your dessert. Japan excludes most of the appetizers, some of the entrées and most of the desserts. The CS in Morocco excludes most of the desserts. Earl of Sandwich limits us to a fountain drink and a cookie for dessert. Disney just deleted the more expensive items from some menus. Instead of excluding the slipper dessert at CRT they removed it from the menu. Cash guests could order it even though it wasn't on the menu but MYW dining guests weren't allowed to order it.

Disney is already diluting the plan by allowing these "secret" exclusions. I might be one of the few customers who would prefer some reasonable rules rather than the secret exclusions that are creeping it.

I've never seen a price fixed meal plan that didn't have an up-charge for the more expensive items. Even cruise ships and all inclusive resorts frequently charge extra for lobster.

Pedler said:
Having that type of setup, while reasonable, would probably cause more problems for Disney than they would want. Then you would have two different classes of restaurants on the dinning plan, those that let you order off the menu and those with a fixed menu. I would think that would dilute some of what Disney is trying to achieve with the plan by adding an additional complexity. I know it may not seem like its that complex but you can just imagine the irrate dinning plan person showing up at a fixed price menu dinning place and complaining that they can't order what they want. I would think the mouse would want to avoid that.

Like I said its the non Disney places that have it the hardest. I don't see Disney changing the plan just to help them out. It may seem harsh but if the plan works for Disney I wonder how much they care about the effect it has ont he non Disney owned places.

Lewisc said:
but restaurants already basically do this. Pepper Market limits your dessert. Japan excludes most of the appetizers, some of the entrées and most of the desserts. The CS in Morocco excludes most of the desserts. Earl of Sandwich limits us to a fountain drink and a cookie for dessert. Disney just deleted the more expensive items from some menus. Instead of excluding the slipper dessert at CRT they removed it from the menu. Cash guests could order it even though it wasn't on the menu but MYW dining guests weren't allowed to order it.

Disney is already diluting the plan by allowing these "secret" exclusions. I might be one of the few customers who would prefer some reasonable rules rather than the secret exclusions that are creeping it.

I've never seen a price fixed meal plan that didn't have an up-charge for the more expensive items. Even cruise ships and all inclusive resorts frequently charge extra for lobster.

There is a difference between a fixed menu and deleting some things or eliminating deserts. If you have a fixed menu then immediately you will have to let people know what the menu is for each place otherwise they will most likely avoid the dinning plan. And even then since they require the plan for everyone on the reservation for length of stay I would think that many people currently using the dinning plan would not be that comfortable with having a set menu at each place. Of course they probably couldn't get away with just one menu per place. You would need a vegetarian menu, a chicken dish, pasta dish, meat dish maybe sea food. It would change the nature of all of the restuarants. Once again a logistical challenge that I would think they want to avoid.

I could be wrong but I think it would change the plan enough to make it so less people would want the plan and that is not in the Mouses best interest. The plan is one of the things that helps keep people on site and not spending money elsewhere.

BTW is the pepper market owned by Disney? I know they were late getting on the plan so I assumed they weren't.

LewisC ...
How do you know that disney gives only 20 bucks per person per TS credit for both food & tip ... that does seam really, really low. :guilty:
If you add up the average app., meal, dessert and drink plus tip that is way over 20 bucks per person.
My group of six adults has made res. at three really nice rest. ... should I assume that disney is only giving that rest. and that server 120 bucks for our whole thingl ???????????

Bronte said:
LewisC ...
How do you know that disney gives only 20 bucks per person per TS credit for both food & tip ... that does seam really, really low. :guilty:
If you add up the average app., meal, dessert and drink plus tip that is way over 20 bucks per person.
My group of six adults has made res. at three really nice rest. ... should I assume that disney is only giving that rest. and that server 120 bucks for our whole thingl ???????????

It may only apply to non-Disney owned restaurants and it may have gone up in 2006 but last year the rate was around $22-$23 with tax and tip. Do a search someone had the actual dollar amount. I saw my bill being rung up at Chefs in France. The gross total was shown and then the amoount being billed to Disney over-rode the total. The bill I was given to sign showed zero. I think the non-Disney restaurants actually base the tip on the discounted fee that Disney pays the restaurant.

The issue for the restaurant isn't the menu cost of the item but rather the food cost, how labor intensive the item is to prepare/serve and if the item can be prepared in advance.
This is a good point. The Dining Plan is intended to draw in patrons. Many times, restaurants will have other ways to do so, specifically loss-leaders, items that are priced lower to patrons that they cost to provide. Since the Dining Plan already is drawing patrons in, there is no need to devote loss-leaders to patrons on the Dining Plan.

Then you would have two different classes of restaurants on the dinning plan
Don't you mean three? And since they already have two, why not three? Having discrete, reliable classes, even if there are five or six of them, is less confusing that having to employ a set of exclusions, exceptions and special cases, on a restaurant-by-restaurant basis.

I would think that would dilute some of what Disney is trying to achieve with the plan
In the same way that increasing the price of CRT dilluted what Disney was trying to achieve with offering a princess breakfast in the castle, yet it was unquestionably the best decision they could make. The objective is not high attendance; the objective is to maximize profit.

all the sushi is excluded or just the sampler. I 've been dying to try this rest. but may go somewhere else. Not to "play a game" but to avoid an embarrassing dinner. I think any awkward moments can ruin a dinner that could be hassle free. I'd rather they remove the item from the menu (that they give dining plan customers) than we have to ask or be suprised at the end! :confused3

bicker said:
In the same way that increasing the price of CRT dilluted what Disney was trying to achieve with offering a princess breakfast in the castle, yet it was unquestionably the best decision they could make. The objective is not high attendance; the objective is to maximize profit.

I don't think increasing the price at CRT is dilluting what Disney was trying to achieve with a princess breakfast. The goal was to sell seats at the castle at a high price. Givent he popularity of CRT it just made sense to increase the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter