Exclusions ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
what annoys me about the DDP is that when you call disney directly they don't tell you about exclusions. I called MS (vacation club) and was told that she knew of no exclusions. She just continued to read off her paper. I emailed disney and asked about exclusions and I got an email back telling me the same info that is on the website. If they have exclusions then they should say it! Why not say the truth? I would like to know before I try to eat somewhere what I can and cannot order. Also, some of the items that you cannot order make no sense, they cost the same if not less then some items that are excluded. If you read what disney's website says about their dining plan it says one app, one entree and one dessert. So you should be able to order one of each it never says that different entrees and app are excluded.

I emailed disney too and got the same response ... just a the exact info. that the web page has ... that I can choose one of each with no mention of any exclusions or extra charges for anything. I replied to the "generic" email with the question, "yes or no, are there any exlusions, extra charges or surcharges on any items (app., dinner, dessert) at any of the partisipating resterants?" I guess I will wait to see if they answer the question directly ...

That sounds as good as reason as any to not use the Dining Plan.

bicker said:
That sounds as good as reason as any to not use the Dining Plan.

Posters on DISBOARDS, probably including myself, are making the exclusions sound like a big deal. Officially there aren't any exclusion. It's questionable if the restaurants are suppose to have any restrictions. Disney owned restaurants have no exclusions. Adult beverages, souvenir mugs including glowing ice cubes and specialty coffees aren't included but that's pretty clear. Bicker--you'd be amazed at how generous the plan works.

These discussions revolve around 2 or 3 restaurants that aren't owned by Disney. Don't sweat it. Does it really matter if the restaurant in Japan excludes lobster from the plan, removes it from the menu but sells it to cash guests as a daily special or stops serving it altogether? The bottom line is the restaurant isn't willing to serve lobster to MYW Dining guests for what Disney is paying them. Avoid the restaurant if you consider their behavior to be sleazy.

Given the fact that I was one who questioned the exclusion of sushi as an appetizer at Teppanyaki, here were my thoughts for being disappointed...

I want the DP to make sure I have 95% of our food budget covered. I don't drink and DH may have an occasional beer, so I figure my own clumsiness knocking over the occasional drink or snack will cost as much as our booze bill. I am not out to get the expensive items and beat the system. I simply don't want a surprise at a restaurant where I have an ADR. My older DD will be 13 when we travel. I can guarantee she will order a couple of times from the children's menu due to the offerings or the amount of food. That will be a meal I lose on. I don't suppose they will credit me for that? That is the whole thing with the DP, someone has to come out ahead or behind at the end of the day; Disney or me. If I factor in how much "free food/benefit" I will get at the end of our stay vs. what I will be paying to stay at Disney (exclusivley) for 10 days, I'd say Disney comes out the real winner. I figure it is like the loss leaders in the grocery store every week. I put them on my list and if I buy the full price stuff while I'm there, the store gets my money. If I don't go to Disney, I won't be buying souvenirs there. If I drive around Orlando and look for the cheap places to eat, I won't be seeing Disney merchandise or opting for the extra drink, etc. I think the comment, on another thread I believe, about Disney having thought this out pretty well is correct. Some people will make out like bandits, some will break even and some may even come out behind for whatever reason. Disney had a pretty good idea how that could work.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with lobster being excluded or desserts/appetizers that are intended to be shared (samplers, etc.) being for 2 people. That actually makes sense to me. I do not like to see wastefulness just because they will give it to us-- "We paid for it". I don't like that mentality. Still, my sticking point with Teppanyaki's apparent exclusion of the sushi is a price issue. I know for a fact that we will never order the 3 adult appetizers we are entitled to with my family's DP. Why I can order more expensive apps at a less expensive restaurant is what I don't understand. While we are on this line, I believe only one person posted that the sushi was excluded. For all I know, that may have been an error or it may have been a 2 person appetizer. I just hope I know before I get there.

Soup or salad as appetizer makes sense to me.
Bicker, while I respect your opinion on this, I do not agree. Many restaurants include soup and/or salad as a part of the meal. The Japanese restaurant near us includes both with the meal as part of the dinner price. It is not cheap there either. If I am going to a nice restaurant, I don't like the idea that I am limited to the 3 cheapest items on the menu. It is Japan, I am going there with the intention of having the sushi. If the sushi is in portions meant to be shared, then they should present it that way. I have absolutely no problem with that. (Given the price as compared to comparable ones here--dinners much cheaper at Teppanyaki but sushi more expensive-- I would imagine it is just that-- shared amounts.)

The whole issue to me is in the knowing. I do wish that the CM's in dining and elsewhere had a better grasp of the exclusions, but as noted on the bottom of the DP sheets, it is "subject to change without notice". Aren't they all.

The best way I can compare the exclusions to me, is to buy my MMyW tickets and find out that they cover all the rides except...the ones built this year, the fastest rides, the longest rides. There would be an upcharge for them or you could only ride those one time per day on your pass. That would be outrageous.

Bicker, while I respect your opinion on this, I do not agree. Many restaurants include soup and/or salad as a part of the meal.
Which is a good reason why it makes sense to me. Remember, with the dining plan, a combo meal counts for a full TS credit -- you don't get a separate appetizer and dessert when you order one of those inclusive choices. So, the objective clearly is to provide an appetizer, and a dessert, but not necessary any you care to have. It makes sense to me that a discount plan would include limited choices, and more specifically the ones that the patron is least likely to purchase separately (OOP) themselves. Anything that is on the menu that folks on the dining plan are likely to pay for OOP if not included in the dining plan should probably be excluded.

The whole issue to me is in the knowing.
I know what you mean, and that's a good bit of what was behind my earlier statement that perhaps we're better off without the dining plan. Folks who are willing, in return for the discount, to enjoy what is unquestionable a good value, but still an unknown quantity, may do very well with the dining plan. If, like me, you want to know what you're going to get for your money, it seems to me that we'll be better of paying OOP, so we'll always know.

I do wish that the CM's in dining and elsewhere had a better grasp of the exclusions, but as noted on the bottom of the DP sheets, it is "subject to change without notice". Aren't they all.
Precisely -- and that's really the core of this: If "subject to change without notice" isn't acceptable, folks should not get the dining plan, because that is part of the terms and conditions of the dining plan.

Look I have no prob with things being excluded for whatever reason. I do think that you should be able to find out what is and what is not included. I do not think that it is fair to just say well don't buy the plan if you don't like it. I don't think people are saying that they don't like the plan I think people including myself are wanting to be informed. I myself called the dining number and asked about what is and what is not included. I was told that if it is listed under app, entree or dessert then you can order whatever you want. Now this is the third time that I have tried to ask. I am hoping that someone else will also call and see what a different person tells them. Anyway, I know the DDP is a great deal and I intend to buy it for my next trip also. I just want to know what to expect.

Well, sorry, but it is fair for a supplier to say that a buyer must accept all the conditions of an offering, or their only alternative is to decline the offering. That's just basic business. It's not practical to have mass-market suppliers required to entertain counter-offers from every individual consumer. That sort of customer service would severely balloon the cost to consumers.

Remember, written terms and conditions always overrule the verbal. If you want assurance that what you're told verbally is true, get it in writing.

My understanding of the confusion is menus list items differently. The plan covers an appetizer, an entree, a dessert and beverage.

If the menu lists soup as Soups and not under Appetizers at that Restaurant you might not be able to get soup as your Appetizer.

However another restaurant might list Soups and Salads, under the Appetizer heading and you would be able to get it.

So basically there are no exclusions, there are only items listed differently.

Now of course consistency is not Disney's best trait, so at any restaurant they might let you subsitute.

Overall the plan provides good value and there are very few restrictions but your understanding is not correct.

Pepper Market limits you to a tier 1 bakery item, basically cookies and muffins, for dessert. There is no question the more expensive items are desserts, they just aren't included.

Earl of Sandwich limited me to a fountain drink. Bottled soda or water is included almost everywhere else. Likewise they limited me to a cookie for dessert.

I've never heard of a customer being refused soup as an appetizer, no matter where it is on the menu.

Basically there are exclusions at a few non-Disney restaurants.

Sammie said:
My understanding of the confusion is menus list items differently. The plan covers an appetizer, an entree, a dessert and beverage.

If the menu lists soup as Soups and not under Appetizers at that Restaurant you might not be able to get soup as your Appetizer.

However another restaurant might list Soups and Salads, under the Appetizer heading and you would be able to get it.

So basically there are no exclusions, there are only items listed differently.

Now of course consistency is not Disney's best trait, so at any restaurant they might let you subsitute.

I think I would just plan on asking the CM when they come over to take our drink order. Ask them if there are any exclusions, can kids order appetizers, can we get the sushi, etc. BTW, why would they not let you pay oop pocket for sushi? I mean, what could it possibly cost-$10? Wouldn't the CM let you pay for it at the end when you pay for alcohol? I know Cape May Cafe lets you pay oop for the crab legs that are not included with the dining plan. We saw people do this in Dec. The CM informed them of the extra charge and they said fine. Wouldn't it be the same as ordering a beer instead of getting the free soda?

Overall the plan provides good value and there are very few restrictions but your understanding is not correct.

My understanding is correct based on what I was told when I requested information on the Dining Plan. It might not agree with your understanding, but I don't think you can just blanket say my understanding is not correct. Obviously from the other comments, others have been told the same thing about exclusions.

Pepper Market limits you to a tier 1 bakery item, basically cookies and muffins, for dessert. There is no question the more expensive items are desserts, they just aren't included.

Here is a perfect example of inconsistency.

Earl of Sandwich limited me to a fountain drink. Bottled soda or water is included almost everywhere else. Likewise they limited me to a cookie for dessert

Another example of inconsistency based on what Disney is telling their customers about exclusions.

I've never heard of a customer being refused soup as an appetizer, no matter where it is on the menu.

No offense, but surely you do not think you are aware of every circumstance of this happening. Soup was an example, there are salads that are listed differently on menus. So perhaps Salad would be a better example.

Basically there are exclusions at a few non-Disney restaurants.

Again this is a perfect example of you can call or email Disney and get a CM to quote the Dining Plan, but then when you use it, you run into this. So I think I understand the situation very well. What they say you can have on the plan and what is actually happening in the restaurants is not the same.

Your understanding doesn't match the real world experience of myself and numerous others who've posted regarding what we've been allowed for dessert at Pepper Market.

Have you used MYW Dining at the Pepper Market? I have so I am qualified to correct the misinformation you posted.

I don't really care what you were told by Disney, it doesn't match what's allowed at the Pepper Market. I spoke a food manager at the Pepper Market who confirmed their dessert policy. Disney allows them to limit desserts but doesn't allow them to put up a sign. Doesn't make much sense to me. Disney can insist that there aren't any posted exclusions but when you ask for your dessert you're told what's allowed and when you go to check out you're charged the extra cost if you select an upgraded dessert.

Sammie said:
My understanding is correct based on what I was told when I requested information on the Dining Plan. It might not agree with your understanding, but I don't think you can just blanket say my understanding is not correct. Obviously from the other comments, others have been told the same thing about exclusions.

Here is a perfect example of inconsistency.

Another example of inconsistency based on what Disney is telling their customers about exclusions.

No offense, but surely you do not think you are aware of every circumstance of this happening. Soup was an example, there are salads that are listed differently on menus. So perhaps Salad would be a better example.

Again this is a perfect example of you can call or email Disney and get a CM to quote the Dining Plan, but then when you use it, you run into this. So I think I understand the situation very well. What they say you can have on the plan and what is actually happening in the restaurants is not the same.

bicker said:
Precisely -- and that's really the core of this: If "subject to change without notice" isn't acceptable, folks should not get the dining plan, because that is part of the terms and conditions of the dining plan.

I don't think you can generalize that. It really depends upon the dinning experience that you want to have. If you are going to eat at just the Disney places then the dinning plan in essence has no limitations that are not already documented in the brochure. Even with the non Disney owned places at Epcot the only one with serious limitations is the place at Japan. Even then they aren't draconian. Right there you have convered a large percentage of the WDW guests. Many will never make it to DTD or may not want to eat at the Japanese restaurant. For the vast majority of WDW visitors the Dinning plan works fine and has not exclusions other than what is identified in the brochure. (specialty drinks, alcohol ect.)

In some ways it almost seems as if you wish the dinning plan didn't exist.

My reference above to subject to change without notice
The whole issue to me is in the knowing. I do wish that the CM's in dining and elsewhere had a better grasp of the exclusions, but as noted on the bottom of the DP sheets, it is "subject to change without notice". Aren't they all.
Bicker, when you responded to that you said

I am quite impressed with the dining plan. I know at least a half dozen friends who have personally used it and loved it. Unless there are some big changes before I go, I will get it. My "aren't they all" was in reference not just to Disney, but all rules we seem to run into today in relationship to any corporations, etc. All the rules are "subject to change without notice".

I am sure if I pay thousands of dollars to go to WDW that the one $8 sushi won't break the bank. I think my interest in this thread is based on the principle of the exclusions and lack of consistency in what items are excluded not necessarily being price based. That's my side. I'm sure the planning peace of mind I'll have by knowing 95% of my food is pre-paid will far outway any rare exclusion I encounter.

Heidi

P.S. Pedlar, you may be onto something
In some ways it almost seems as if you wish the dinning plan didn't exist.

suedisney said:
all the sushi is excluded or just the sampler. I 've been dying to try this rest. but may go somewhere else. Not to "play a game" but to avoid an embarrassing dinner. I think any awkward moments can ruin a dinner that could be hassle free. I'd rather they remove the item from the menu (that they give dining plan customers) than we have to ask or be suprised at the end! :confused3

My sons and I dined at Teppanyaki in December using the dining plan. The server asked if we were using the dining plan and told us exactly what was included. There were no awkward moments at all. My son was looking forward to the sushi sampler, so I ordered it. It was huge and delicious and worth the $7.95 upcharge. He is a seafood lover and ordered shrimp/scallop combo which was included in the plan. My other son had chicken/shrimp and I had chicken/steak. There was a salad included as an appetizer. For dessert we had a choice of several ice cream flavors or cake. Both were not fancy, but very good. All in all it was an excellent meal and great fun. We will definitely return and I'd buy the sushi sampler again!
ENJOY!

Jill,

Thanks for the great review and all the handy information! Glad you all enjoyed it so much.

Heidi

Luvamouse said:
P.S. Pedlar, you may be onto something

I do think that there are several "DIS Vets" that would rather the dinning plan in its current form go away. I can only speculate the reasons but I think part of it is that some items like the slipper at CRT have dissapeared from menus. For some its that the popularity of the dinning plan has increased the crowds at the restaurants with, dare I say it, the type of people that would purchase the dinning plan. :rotfl2:

bicker said:
Well, sorry, but it is fair for a supplier to say that a buyer must accept all the conditions of an offering, or their only alternative is to decline the offering. That's just basic business. It's not practical to have mass-market suppliers required to entertain counter-offers from every individual consumer. That sort of customer service would severely balloon the cost to consumers.

Remember, written terms and conditions always overrule the verbal. If you want assurance that what you're told verbally is true, get it in writing.

Wow, I am a Sr. Buyer and I could not have said it better myself.

You must be a buyer too?

Pedler said:
I do think that there are several "DIS Vets" that would rather the dinning plan in its current form go away. I can only speculate the reasons but I think part of it is that some items like the slipper at CRT have dissapeared from menus. For some its that the popularity of the dinning plan has increased the crowds at the restaurants with, dare I say it, the type of people that would purchase the dinning plan. :rotfl2:

I am a little slow so could you explain to me what kind of people you are talking about? I am buying the dining plan so I am just wondering what kind of person I am .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter