Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Uber supposedly can schedule rides in advance for certain cities, including Orlando. But I can't get it to work. It won't show the schedule button. Their tech support is terrible. Ideas?

Just returned from WDW, and used Lyft for the first time. Last fall, we used Uber and had 1 driver, out of 3,cancel on us (and try to charge us.) This weekend, Lyft was 1/4. We had 3 drivers cancel last night trying to return from AK to Dolphin. (There was an accident reported around 4-5 pm when we got to AK, so not sure the issue at 9 pm) Today, trip from Dolphin to MCO was great. Wish they could pickup from MCO, because cab from MCO to Dolphin $60, Lyft from Dolphin to MCO $26.

My husband and I have been using uber almost daily during our 2 week vacation.

Staying offsite. We use uber from our resort to the boardwalk to get to Epcot for food & wine!

Been working out perfectly. Especially on the return trip. A drink and / or desert on the boardwalk before we head back has been a great way to end the day.

So let me get this straight. If we are a family of five we need to use something called Uber XL? We have never needed to go from Universal to MK before but want to go to MVMCP one night and obviously wanna get the best deal

So let me get this straight. If we are a family of five we need to use something called Uber XL? We have never needed to go from Universal to MK before but want to go to MVMCP one night and obviously wanna get the best deal
Yes, standard Uber (UberX) is a car with room for 4 riders. UberXL is a mini-van or SUV with a 3rd seat, and room for at least 6 riders. If you choose Lyft, they call the same thing Lyft Plus.

Is is possible to request an Uber, Lyft or taxi with a car seat for toddler?
Yes, there is an option with Uber to request a car seat. There is a surcharge and it's only offered in limited areas in Orlando

Is is possible to request an Uber, Lyft or taxi with a car seat for toddler?
Many taxis at WDW also carry a car seat, but I don't think you can request one directly. If you're at a park, it's likely one will be in the queue. If you're at a resort, the bell people may be able to help.

Lyft does not offer car seats.

So me and my wife want to go to Epcot on a Sunday in a few weeks and we are staying in Tampa near the airport. I know now with Uber you can schedule pickups. Do you think I'd have a major problem getting a taxi from Epcot to Tampa say 7:30 at night? If no driver accepts, are there other taxis that might be able to take us back to Tampa?

Hello Everyone!

I had the pleasure of driving some wonderful DisBoards members on property recently and I wanted to take a moment to answer some questions and provide information on how Uber at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL works with some FAQ:

1)Are drivers allowed in the parks and resorts for pickup or dropoff?
YES YES YES! For resorts, we can pickup simply by stating we are there for pick up and we get right in. Please wait in front of the lobby entrance. If your resort is not listed below, we may also be able to pick up by your building. Please send a txt because we always assume lobby.

Exceptions:

Coronado: We can pick you up, however you must be waiting at the main lobby entrance upon our arrival. If youre not there, we will be sent to checkin parking and you have to walk over to us. This is the only place we are allowed, however if the gates are open during the day we might be able to get closer to your room.

Caribbean Beach: We can now get in easily. Please wait in front of your building by the loop. Do not wait in the bus stop and be sure your pickup location is accurate since this is a very large resort.At CB, we assume your location is what you pinned on the map ( Barbados, Trinidad, Old Port Royale,etc)

OKW/Saratoga: Assumption is pickup is at the location entered, which may be your building. Do not wait in the bus stop itself.

Dropping guests at resorts is also easy, but you still must be staying there or have a dining reservation.

For Parks, we do not have to pay for drop off or pickup. Again, we simply state we are droping off, or picking up, and we get let right through. Generally speaking, here are the pickup/drop locations for the parks and Disney Springs:

MK: Ticket/Transportation Center, in front of the taxi queue. Also: you may choose to walk to the Contemporary and get picked up from there. Drop off at CR is technically not allowed for MK but I have had some success by stating I am dropping off for the DVC lounge. The key seems to be indicating that Im not parking. Will update as I get more info.

Epcot: I recommend that you walk to the Boardwalk Inn, and call for a ride from there. (This is a great option if ending your evening by the International Gateway between England and France) We usually sit at the gas station across the street and can have you picked up in a minute or less.

FOOD and WINE UPDATE: The pickup and drop off area is now located near where the Mears cab pickups are. The area appears to be well signed and barriers put up. Look for the green umbrella. Also, please note that there is now a castmember assigned to this area and your car cannot wait for more than a couple minutes before being asked to leave. Therefore, please wait until you are already in this area before requesting a ride.

If you must request from the front of Epcot, expect a 10-11 minute wait just for us to get over, around, and in.
There is now a designated uber/lyft/other pickup and dropoff area located in the Journey parking lot. The location is behind bus bay 1-2, and there is a walkway and signage. We cannot pick you up in the taxi stand or at the busses.

Hollywood Studios: We are in the main parking lot, right next to the taxi queue. There will be a white sandwichboard sign for pickup/dropoff.

Animal Kingdom: Walk to the left as you exit, towards handicapped parking and the main parking lot. Where the sidewalk meets pavement is where we will be. Youll see the taxi queue on your right about 100 feet up. To your left about a 100 feet will be a white tent, and directly in front of you will be traffic barriers and the first row of handicapped parking.

DTD/Disney Springs: Due to the construction, this tends to change on an almost daily basis. For Westside, the Strawberry parking lot seems to be the pickup/dropoff spot. Marketplace now has no access except via the bus loop area (no cars allowed here...drop off or pick up at rhe wyndham right by the closest lighted sign, just off the roadway for easy access).

Water parks: theres a drop/pickup spot near the entrance so no problems.

Port Canaveral: No problems. However, the rates coming back will be higher than going out. Generally, a family of four or more will find this a savings over the shuttle services. At the port, there are approximately 60 permitted uber drivers so getting a ride back to Orlando(or wherever) is super easy.

Additional Note: We do not pick up or drop off from bus loops, taxi stands, the side of the road/active travel lanes, or other potentially unsafe locations.

2)Are larger vehicles available for my family?
Yes. As of 8/31/15 when I wrote this, UberXL can carry up to 6 passengers. Expect a minivan or large SUV (I drive a white Buick Enclave..if you get me, say you saw this post!). We are also cheaper than taxis on property.

3)Can uber take me to the airport?
Yes. We cannot pick you up from the airport property (You may want to take a free shuttle offsite somewhere and then request a pickup) unless you book Uber BLACK (the professional towncar service).We can however, drop off at the airport no problem (all service levels)and we're all happy to do it.

4)Who drives for uber at WDW? Will I get a CastMember?
Odds are pretty good that you will get a castmember, or former castmember. I also happen to know a guy personally who works at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek and drives UberX. Having said that, Disney is an obvious place for new drivers to go since it's big and there's always alot of traffic so you'll get some of these and it'll be obvious. If you get a driver you really like, go ahead and ask for our number for future rides. If we can accommodate you, we will.

5a)Can I go a long distance such as Cocoa, Tampa,etc?
Yes. Although we ask that you do it earlier in the day/evening, and contact your driver to make sure it's ok. I once had a run to Sarasota from the Yacht Club which picked up at 7pm. It was an hour and a half out, plus an hour and a half for me to get back. So if it had been too much later at night, I would've had to decline.

5b)Can I schedule a longer ride in advance?
Within the apps, you cant.

6) Are car seats available?
UberX and UberXL now have options including one car seat. It launched on 3/1/16 and is in a trial phase. Please do not assume widespread availability of these vehicles as of yet.

If you have any specific questions about using Uber at WDW, please feel free to reply to this thread and I'll try to keep it updated. I do want to keep this informational, however questions about how the app works, your account, pricing,etc is offtopic and this is not the venue for that.

Have a Magical Day!
Rob

Also, if it's 8pm at night at the ttc and we need an Uber back to Tampa, and let's say we don't have any luck, what are our options back to Tampa at that time? Should I have car service numbers in my phone? Is Tampa that much of a hassle? Does mentioning I'll tip good help?

Thanks

Apparently, there's not much experience in Ubering to/from Tampa on this board. There's this thread.

Seems like most folks think it's easier and more economical to just rent a car for the day.

Prescheduling an Uber doesn't guarantee the driver will take you that far. It just summons a driver near the pickup spot at the requested time; maybe it gives you priority over ad hoc requests -- I don't know the internal workings. But the driver still won't know your destination until he picks you up.

I think a conventional taxi will cost well over a hundred dollars each way. When I took the free shuttle to Busch Gardens, that's what the driver warned would be our situation if we missed the return bus.

If you're planning on "drinking around the World," consider getting a room for one night on property, or at the Swan/Dolphin or one of the Disney Springs area hotels that have regular shuttle service. Or be prepared to pay the price for a taxi.

Last edited:
Apparently, there's not much experience in Ubering to/from Tampa on this board. There's this thread.

Seems like most folks think it's easier and more economical to just rent a car for the day.

Prescheduling an Uber doesn't guarantee the driver will take you that far. It just summons a driver near the pickup spot at the requested time; maybe it gives you priority over ad hoc requests -- I don't know the internal workings. But the driver still won't know your destination until he picks you up.

I think a conventional taxi will cost well over a hundred dollars each way. When I took the free shuttle to Busch Gardens, that's what the driver warned would be our situation if we missed the return bus.

If you're planning on "drinking around the World," consider getting a room for one night on property, or at the Swan/Dolphin or one of the Disney Springs area hotels that have regular shuttle service. Or be prepared to pay the price for a taxi.

neither of us have a license, and we wouldnt wanna spend 500+ on a night hotel at disney, when we have a reservation at our perfectly good tampa hotel....then the next days theres still no guarentee to be taken back to tampa...we might reconsider the whole trip :/

ridesharerob where are you!?

neither of us have a license, and we wouldnt wanna spend 500+ on a night hotel at disney, when we have a reservation at our perfectly good tampa hotel....then the next days theres still no guarentee to be taken back to tampa...we might reconsider the whole trip :/

ridesharerob where are you!?
Just checking tonight ... rooms are available at All-Stars for under $100. Not luxury, but a place to sleep with free transportation to Epcot. Of course, that will vary by time of year.

Rob has said in the past that there are Uber drivers willing to drive to Tampa, but think it might take a few tries to find one. You might also have more success with UberXL, which is a higher fare and more pay for the driver. As I said in the other thread, if the driver's more than 5 minutes away, text or phone the driver when he's on his way and ask him if he's OK with it. You could also try offering a specific substantial cash tip in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter