Ellen & Pods alone at last at F&W-with a twist of Vero!9/25-10/1/09 Update12/14 p.15

Welcome Back Ellen! Glad you had such a nice time and that Sean did so well (except for HRH). Sorry everyone got sick. Looking forward to reading more!!!!!

I'm so sorry everyone got sick.:hug: We had some of the best meals of our trip at the Universal restaurants!

This was my favorite thing (foodwise) at Universal- the nachos at the BeachClub restaurant at the pool at HRH. O.M.G. it was HUGE!!!!!:worship:

2009_110906summer0090.jpg

We also ate at The Kitchen and Mythos, both very good. Where did you eat?

Welcome Back Ellen! Glad you had such a nice time and that Sean did so well (except for HRH). Sorry everyone got sick. Looking forward to reading more!!!!!

Thanks! I'm going to update this TR now-

2009_100106summer0294.jpg

So, waaayyyy back in November 2007 when we were purchasing our DVC, Pods had made the comment (after the sales CM had suggested it), "Can't ya just see us going down to WDW and staying at OKW for a golf getaway without the kids someday?" Hmmm...well, yes, yes I can. Even if someday to Pods means "somewhere in a galaxy far, far away", and to me someday means, "Yippee!!! Another vacation to plan ASAP!!!" :rotfl: At least that's what he said when I told him where we'd be staying this trip. But I digress... I was very much looking forward to seeing OKW, I had heard it was very relaxing, had huge villas, and was absolutely POPPING with a fervent DVC loving community. And I can say now, that ALL of this is true. :thumbsup2 We were checking in kind of late, so i wasn't expecting much, just hoping for a golf course view if at all possible. Well, there was exactly ONE studio left- it was on the golf course, but without much of a view, as it was on the first floor and was HA. But, they did tell us when we asked, after checking with the MGR, that we could move the next day if we were unhappy, which I thought was very nice. Here are some pics of the great big studio, Rm. 2816-

2009_100106summer0295.jpg

2009_100106summer0296.jpg

2009_100106summer0297.jpg

2009_100106summer0298.jpg

2009_100106summer0299.jpg

2009_100106summer0300.jpg

2009_100106summer0301.jpg

2009_100106summer0302.jpg

We got settled into the new digs and I went out to explore. Since we were very centrally located in Bldg 28, this was easy to do-

2009_100106summer0305.jpg

2009_100106summer0306.jpg

2009_100106summer0309.jpg

The landscaping at OKW is so mature- so beautiful & tropical-

2009_100106summer0310.jpg

2009_100106summer0311.jpg

2009_100106summer0312.jpg

2009_100106summer0313.jpg

2009_100106summer0315.jpg

2009_100106summer0316.jpg

2009_100106summer0319.jpg

2009_100106summer0320.jpg

2009_100106summer0321.jpg

2009_100106summer0304.jpg

2009_100106summer0324.jpg

Very pretty, isn't it? And every person I passed said hello, how are you, etc, it was very warm and welcoming. I think DVC resorts in general have a "community" feel, but this one feels a little different- everyone you meet seems like they've been in the family forever; at the newer DVC's, it feels more like nice people who just got married and are on their honeymoon. KWIM? It is just a very comfy/cozy and relaxing place. Glad we went.

Next up- time for our first dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse!

We arrived at the Yachtsman for our 8:20 ADRs and were handed a blinker and asked to wait in the Crew's Cup Lounge, which we were happy to comply with. I enjoyed my first ever flashy cocktail while DH had a vodka on the rocks-

2009_100106summer0326.jpg

Everyone sing along.."How much is that mee-eet in the window?? The one with the waggl-ee ta...." Oops. Sorry.

2009_100106summer0325.jpg

Soon we were seated and our very attentive, very nice, and very knowledgable CM was ready to wait on us! He recommended some favorites, and we proceeded to order....First came the rolls and butter and roasted garlic-

2009_100106summer0327.jpg

I would like to clearly state, for the record, that these onion rolls are EVEN BETTER than the DIS makes them out to be. OMG, pull-apart flaky deliciousness in every bite.... YUM! :worship: I debated about ordering the scallops, since I had had them the night before and thought nothing could top THOSE. Unfortunately, I was right. These came out...burnt.

2009_100106summer0328.jpg

Oh well, our server was great, he took them right off the bill. He also apologized profusely for the new chef working tonight who was just getting used to things. DH did better with the escargot-

2009_100106summer0329.jpg

Those were yummy. We both ordered the NY Strip for dinner, as that is our favorite cut.

His-
2009_100106summer0330.jpg

Mine-
2009_100106summer0331.jpg

LOVED the potato gratin that came along with this. :love: The steaks were good, but not as tender as many we have had at home restaurants. We also drank a bottle of red wine with our meal, sorry i don't recall which one, I think it was a Cabernet (since I was still Jonesin for that Caymus from earlier in the day that never was). I knew we were full, but we HAD to try the Trio of Valrhona Chocolate, as I had been eyeing it for MONTHS here on the DIS-

2009_100106summer0335.jpg

The espresso one was my absolute favorite-
2009_100106summer0336.jpg

Salted caramel?
2009_100106summer0337.jpg

Peanut?
2009_100106summer0338.jpg

We also went for after-dinner drinks. Pods got a Porto, and I looked over the menu...what's this??? MAGICALE????? You call Fairytale Cuvee Magicale
on your menu???? To which our very friendly, very kind, and VERY HONEST CM says, "NO...those are two different wines. We just got a new wine list 2 days ago (sound familiar?????????). Magicale is meant to replace the Rosa Regale on the dessert menu- it is less expensive, so Disney switched. The FairyTale Cuvee was just supposed to be for the Year of a (2) Million Dreams....but I think I might be able to scare up a glass if you'd like to try it."

:confused3

:eek:

:idea:

DUH. That server in Vero Beach at Shutters...the one we double tipped??? Who we ordered Fairy Tale Cuvee from and who I questioned the Magicale bottle about??? The one who said it was the right wine???? SHE WAS WRONG!!!!! If it weren't for the CM at YS, I never would have known (well, maybe someday I would have figured it out, but still....). I have to say, double-tipping the girl at Shutters DID come up- and this CM explained that Disney leaves the "we've already been tipped with the TIW card" to the discretion of the server. In other words, when they circle the tip on the check, or mention to you that it is included in the bill, they are doing you a BIG favor that they are not required to do. AND....they can get double tipped if they don't bring it up. Hmmmmm......very interesting....the server at Shutters just gets curiouser and curiouser to me.....ANywhoooo....

The Fairy Tale Cuvee bottle-

2009_100106summer0332.jpg

And the Fairy tale cuvee wine-notice how it is NOT RED!

2009_100106summer0333.jpg

I thought about calling Vero and ratting the girl out. But I just can't because I am holding onto a shadow of doubt that says maybe she didn't realize what she was doing- I did like her when we ate there. But I CAN tell all of YOU so that it doesn't happen again. And that is why, I just did. :goodvibes DH & his port-

2009_100106summer0334.jpg

Happy us after dinner-

2009_100106summer0339.jpg

2009_100106summer0340.jpg

We thanked our server profusely for his service and honesty, and it was time to go-

2009_100106summer0341.jpg

2009_100106summer0342.jpg

We were sleepy and ready for bed when we got back to OKW. Unfortunately....our neighbors in the adjoining 1 bdrm villa were NOT as eager to sleep as we were. They were excited about EVERYTHING until 12:30 am when DH got out of bed and knocked on their door and asked them to pipe down please. And they were quiet....for a few hours. But I heard them at 3 am....and again when we got up at 8am, screaming who knows what at each other (although I do recall one girl asking someone about which hairstyle she should wear that day, and I was very happy to yell MY opinion through the door to her). We called up front and said we would be fine staying in this room...if our neighbors were checking out that day. Which, of course, they weren't. So I packed us up, and we got out before our morning of golf at LBV.

Can I just mention....I am soooooooo tired of packing up. I am sooooo not doing any more split stays....:sad2:

Up next- our morning of golf on the beautiful LBV course!!

I really like the looks of OKW and would love to stay there someday if (when) we buy DVC.

Your dinner looked sooo good!

I really like the looks of OKW and would love to stay there someday if (when) we buy DVC.

Your dinner looked sooo good!

We met soooo many people at OKW who have owned since the beginning and won't stay anywhere else. It's very sweet!:goodvibes

And dinner was goooooooooooooood!

So glad you liked OKW. That resort seems so "old school disney" to me...one that I always remembered passing when my family was driving around WDW when I was a kid. Stinks about your noisy neighbors but maybe they were a bridal party? That would explain being up all night, being super excited and discussing hairstyles.

Did you now KNOW about the TIW automatic tip before you left or did you just forget about it? I don't think we've ever had a server remind us that the tip has is uncluded but I either read about on the DIS or when I was looking into buying the card.

So glad you liked OKW. That resort seems so "old school disney" to me...one that I always remembered passing when my family was driving around WDW when I was a kid. Stinks about your noisy neighbors but maybe they were a bridal party? That would explain being up all night, being super excited and discussing hairstyles.

Did you now KNOW about the TIW automatic tip before you left or did you just forget about it? I don't think we've ever had a server remind us that the tip has is uncluded but I either read about on the DIS or when I was looking into buying the card.

They weren't a bridal party. They were a family with at least a Dad and several teenagers- I think 2 girls and one boy. At least based on the myriad of conversations I couldn't help but hear all night long.

Yes, I did know TIW was an automatic tip- I just snoozed because it was the first time using it since the spring. DUH!!! We used it this whole past week, and nearly all of the servers circled the tip on the check. But, of course, now I'm paying attention to it!! :rotfl: We always tip more if the service was really good, anyway. Just something to keep in mind, though, so I never forget again! :goodvibes

By the way...one marking period down, 3 more to go!!!

They weren't a bridal party. They were a family with at least a Dad and several teenagers- I think 2 girls and one boy. At least based on the myriad of conversations I couldn't help but hear all night long.

Oh....oh well, I tried! Then they SUCK!

By the way...one marking period down, 3 more to go!!!

I know!! Can you believe it!! November and December always fly, too...

BTW, LOVE the new family pics in your sig. Are they from this past trip?

Oh....oh well, I tried! Then they SUCK!

I know!! Can you believe it!! November and December always fly, too...

BTW, LOVE the new family pics in your sig. Are they from this past trip?

Thanks! Yes, the pics are from the new trip ( the avatar is from V&A's with Pods in Sept) and....thanks for tryin', but YES! THEY SUCKED!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

All caught up again. Guess I wasn't too far behind since we were gone for the same time. :laughing:

It was fun texting to see where we both were. :cool1: I know now though that I was getting texts far later than they were sent. My niece and nephew let us know that when they complained we weren't answering. Point being I hope you didn't get a 3am text I sent at 9pm! :scared1:

We headed over to SSR for our morning of golf at LBV, the course that winds through OKW & SSR. I was a little nervous, because i am a very, very, UBER Beginner golfer, and i really didn't want to ruin some strangers' round with my cluelessness on the course. I was just certain that we would be matched up with golfers the likes of tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, and i would be humiliated beyond belief.

Nothing could have been further from who we were paired with. Not that they weren't good golfers- they were- just that, they were so nice and understanding and encouraging and I couldn't have hoped for a better couple to complete our foursome. :goodvibes Even if I did stink it up, BIG TIME, out there! :rotfl: They were a couple from California, Mary & Larry, owners at OKW since the beginning, yearly 10 day Disney vacationers- alternating their visits to OKW with each of their grown children and their families. And they play a LOT of golf while on vacation at WDW. So, pretty much, this is who Pods & i hope to become when our kids are grown one day. Especially, I would like to become Mary. Because Mary was the best golfer of us all. :worship: AND....Mary told me that just 10 years ago, she was a beginner JUST LIKE ME. So there is hope, after all!! And FWIW, for the rest of my life, when I golf with DH and I actually have a nice shot? Well, that's a Mary shot- and it will be for all time. Some pics from our day-

2009_100106summer0346.jpg

2009_100106summer0353.jpg

2009_100106summer0347.jpg

I took alot of pictures because I decided in the interest of everyone, I would golf every other hole to keep things at a decent pace. And, since this round of golf was only $39 pp because of the DVC golf membership we got, I didn't feel that bad doing that.

2009_100106summer0348.jpg

2009_100106summer0349.jpg

2009_100106summer0351.jpg

2009_100106summer0352.jpg

2009_100106summer0355.jpg

2009_100106summer0357.jpg

2009_100106summer0359.jpg

Sadly, DH golfed the absolute WORST game of his life! He is not one to be bothered all that much by his golf game, and he has been playing since he was a kid. But THIS game...well, it put him in a fairly crappy mood for the rest of the day. And that was stink-O!!!

2009_100106summer0360.jpg

Stick kids on the course!!

2009_100106summer0362.jpg

2009_100106summer0369.jpg

2009_100106summer0371.jpg

2009_100106summer0373.jpg

2009_100106summer0377.jpg

2009_100106summer0378.jpg

One last thing- all of the CM's who worked at the course, from the ones who checked us in to the CMs who worked in the proshop- ALL of them were SPECTACULARLY nice, and kind, and friendly- really, really making it a day of golf with a Disney difference! We finished up just in time to quickly shower up in the clubhouse and head over to Tokyo Dining for our 3:30 Sake & food pairing demo. JUST in time!!

Great Update Ellen !!! I took Golf lessons in High School in England and we walked 3 miles to the golf course only to find that afterthe first time the PRO forgot !!:lmao:So we started calling before we walked the 3 miles and if he wasn't there we hit the local coffee shop!!! Did that all year till we got BUSTED and in BIG trouble :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Ellen! Nice to see you back! I'm so happy that Sean joined you and had a good time! OKW looks very nice. I had heard so many bad remarks about old and worn out, I've been afraid to try it.

I admire you for getting out there and taking up golf. You will be a Mary someday. :thumbsup2

All caught up. So glad you hear you had fun on your most recent trip but sorry everyone was sick. :sick: OKW is just lovely, isn't it? You can almost forget that you're in WDW (not that you'd want to but it's just that relaxing). Yachtsman looks yum-o! Glad you finally got your Fairytale Cuvee. I saw bottles of that for sale when I was there in Sept in various "kitchen" stores.

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

All caught up again. Guess I wasn't too far behind since we were gone for the same time. :laughing:

It was fun texting to see where we both were. :cool1: I know now though that I was getting texts far later than they were sent. My niece and nephew let us know that when they complained we weren't answering. Point being I hope you didn't get a 3am text I sent at 9pm! :scared1:

Don't worry- the phone never rang from you at 3 am! I liked texting withyou while we were there, too. :goodvibes Sorry we could never work out a meet- guess we'll have to go to lunch again soon!

Poor Ellen and the NOISY neighbors !!! Your supper looked very good except for the burnt scallops !!!

Great Update Ellen !!! I took Golf lessons in High School in England and we walked 3 miles to the golf course only to find that afterthe first time the PRO forgot !!:lmao:So we started calling before we walked the 3 miles and if he wasn't there we hit the local coffee shop!!! Did that all year till we got BUSTED and in BIG trouble :rotfl2::rotfl2:

You're a TROUBLEMAKER?????? Nawwww....;)

That's great that you got paired up with such a nice couple! Glad you enjoyed the day!

Thanks, me too!

Ellen! Nice to see you back! I'm so happy that Sean joined you and had a good time! OKW looks very nice. I had heard so many bad remarks about old and worn out, I've been afraid to try it.

Hi Tammie! I definitely liked the vibe at OKW- extrememly homey. It did not look worn out at all to me, it was very relaxing.

I admire you for getting out there and taking up golf. You will be a Mary someday. :thumbsup2

Ooohhhh...I hope so! She was da Bomb!! Every tee shot sailed straight down the fairway! :worship:

All caught up. So glad you hear you had fun on your most recent trip but sorry everyone was sick. :sick: OKW is just lovely, isn't it? You can almost forget that you're in WDW (not that you'd want to but it's just that relaxing). Yachtsman looks yum-o! Glad you finally got your Fairytale Cuvee. I saw bottles of that for sale when I was there in Sept in various "kitchen" stores.

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

Yes, it was a bummer we were all feeling under the weather while we were there- but it all worked out. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter