Ellen & Pods alone at last at F&W-with a twist of Vero!9/25-10/1/09 Update12/14 p.15

In all my excitement recollecting Pods' instant ageing process, I forgot to mention that when we returned to OKW it was to a new room, 2820. It was still a studio, but now on the second floor and not HA. And NOT next to noisy neighbors! But....this part of Bldg 28 is very close to the road, and the buses going by sounded like airplanes landing, they were so loud!! I think it had something to do with it being right on the part of the road where the buses were accellerating. Fortunately, we didn't hear them too much when we were sleeping.

2009_100106summer0497.jpg

2009_100106summer0498.jpg

2009_100106summer0499.jpg

2009_100106summer0500.jpg

2009_100106summer0501.jpg

2009_100106summer0502.jpg

It was interesting how there were all these little special Mousekeeping touches- like I've posted above, that were not in the other room at OKW at all. :confused3

In the morning, i decided to have a breakfast sandwich from Goods to go-

2009_100106summer0503.jpg

which I shared with Pods before we headed over to SSR for our Mystical Therapies treatments. Unfortunately, i did the unthinkable- I forgot my camera!! :sad2: Well, we both went in to our treatments, which I have had now (including this one) 3 times- I just love it! 25 minutes of upper body massage followed by 25 minutes of reflexology. Pods enjoyed it, but said the refexology he couldn't even feel- really, if this ever happens to you, you need to tell the therapist to APPLY MORE PRESSURE!!!! We showered up, and headed out to the SSR pool to relax....we were feeling hungry, so we got lunch at AP, which was thankfully very empty. I think we split a chicken spinach artichoke flatbread and a house salad. I decided to blow off the 2pm Puglian wine seminar I had booked us into from home in favor of hangin' by the pool. Where I lasted about 30 seconds before I drove back to OKW to get my camera.

2009_100106summer0504.jpg

2009_100106summer0510.jpg

2009_100106summer0505.jpg

2009_100106summer0506.jpg

2009_100106summer0511.jpg

2009_100106summer0512.jpg

After a nice swim, I changed into some workout clothes and headed to the gym. WOW, does SSR have a gorgeous and HUGE gym!! :worship: Of course, there were maybe 3 people in there, and by the time I finished, i had the whole place to myself.

2009_100106summer0507.jpg

2009_100106summer0509.jpg

2009_100106summer0508.jpg

I headed down to the sauna and the steam room for a bit before rinsing off and going back outside to join the very relaxed Pods. We couldn't stay much longer, since we had to get ready for our 5:30 V&A ADR.

Next...is V&A's really worth it?

Oh yes, YES it is!!!:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

El, you just crack me up!:lmao:

I'm so glad! That's the point! :rotfl:

oooh! I can't wait to hear about V&A's. I want to eat there but I'm not going to be able to for a few years. The girls really wouldn't do well there and I'm not too keen on leaving them in a daycare at the hotel. Oh well. Love the F&W pics. Could Pods and Tim be releated? That 9 pm thing is just too common.

Really? 9 pm? UGH! Pods isn't normally like that, so it was really, really annoying!! I felt like I was married to his brother instead of him. UGH again!

And V&A's has an age limit- I think it's 10. There's no kids anything in there. It's Disney heaven for grown-ups! :cloud9: I think our meal lasted about 3 hours, and it was very, very high end. Sooooooo incredible!!

Oh the 9 pm thing is him getting sick of people. He is an exteme introvert and I am on the other end of the spectrum. Getting him to Disney is a real treat. I do social stories with him so he knows what to expect. LOL

I was cracking up through parts of that. :lmao:

Ellen I'm so glad you already have another trip to write about after this one. It is so fun to read your reports! What will I do when there is nothing new?! :scared1:

Looking forward to hearing about V&A's.

Oh the 9 pm thing is him getting sick of people. He is an exteme introvert and I am on the other end of the spectrum. Getting him to Disney is a real treat. I do social stories with him so he knows what to expect. LOL

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Hey! I've got a nifty 40 page social story you can borrow for him for your next trip! You'll just need to fly out of Newark, NJ and stay at Kidani, HRH, and BLT for it to work! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I was cracking up through parts of that. :lmao:

Ellen I'm so glad you already have another trip to write about after this one. It is so fun to read your reports! What will I do when there is nothing new?! :scared1:

Looking forward to hearing about V&A's.

Awww....thanks, Myst! :hug: Ya made me feel all special and stuff. :blush:

And ...what do you mean "when there is nothing new?" As in...I'm NOT on vacation every 10 minutes???? :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: Bite your tongue!!! That is just too awful to think about!!! I have plenty of vacations planned for 2010- St John in January with our friends, Skiing in the poconos Presidents weekend, WDW Apr/May with the crazy DISmoms, A weekend in NYC in May, Washington, DC followed by Pigeon Forge Log Cabin Family vacay in August, WDW with Pods in Sept and WDW in OCT/DCL Western Oct 30th/ 1 night in Vero when we return. See? LOADS to look forward to!!! :yay:

Your latest updates are so funny. :laughing: Pods turning into an 85 yr old right before your eyes.:lmao: It's obvious you were so disappointed, but I'm glad he redeemed himself. And your Illuminations dilema. You have to try the spot over near Norway. Worked for me two trips in a row. Really don't have to get over there until last minute.

Oh well....I want to comment more, but have to keep it short. On my way out.

Cant wait to hear about V&A and the spa treatment sounds relaxing.

Hi, Ellen! I just stumbled across your TR, and of course I had to join in!! I loved reading about Vero and seeing all the pics. Before reading this, I never would have thought that VB was someplace that I might like to visit, but of course you changed my mind. I must admit, I am totally jealous of all your travels!!
OKW sounds so nice! Can't wait to read more!

Your spa/pool day sounds wonderful, and you haven't even gotten to dinner yet! I'm looking forward to hearing about that!

Your latest updates are so funny. :laughing: Pods turning into an 85 yr old right before your eyes.:lmao: It's obvious you were so disappointed, but I'm glad he redeemed himself. And your Illuminations dilema. You have to try the spot over near Norway. Worked for me two trips in a row. Really don't have to get over there until last minute.

Oh well....I want to comment more, but have to keep it short. On my way out.

Cant wait to hear about V&A and the spa treatment sounds relaxing.

Thanks ME for the Norway tip!! I will do my BEST to position myself there at 8:59 on my next visit! :rotfl:

Hi, Ellen! I just stumbled across your TR, and of course I had to join in!! I loved reading about Vero and seeing all the pics. Before reading this, I never would have thought that VB was someplace that I might like to visit, but of course you changed my mind. I must admit, I am totally jealous of all your travels!!
OKW sounds so nice! Can't wait to read more!

So glad you stopped by! :goodvibes I've been enjoying your cruise TR! :thumbsup2 Vero is where I want to go after our next cruise- sooooo relaxing and low key. PERFECT post cruise, I'm hopeing!

Your spa/pool day sounds wonderful, and you haven't even gotten to dinner yet! I'm looking forward to hearing about that!

well, I can tell you that...it will be up soon! I just finished uploading all the pics to photobucket...wow! i just love looking at them!!! So it should be fun to write about and share with all of you- but I AM cooking Thanksgivng, and I AM one to go a little overboard foodwise...so it might have to wait until Friday (when I'm in a pumpkin pie/cooking coma). But hang in there ( I hope everyone is!) and I'll finish it up soon! :thumbsup2

Ellen

Awww....thanks, Myst! :hug: Ya made me feel all special and stuff. :blush:

And ...what do you mean "when there is nothing new?" As in...I'm NOT on vacation every 10 minutes???? :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: Bite your tongue!!! That is just too awful to think about!!! I have plenty of vacations planned for 2010- St John in January with our friends, Skiing in the poconos Presidents weekend, WDW Apr/May with the crazy DISmoms, A weekend in NYC in May, Washington, DC followed by Pigeon Forge Log Cabin Family vacay in August, WDW with Pods in Sept and WDW in OCT/DCL Western Oct 30th/ 1 night in Vero when we return. See? LOADS to look forward to!!! :yay:

You're right. What was I thinking?! :eek: :laughing: Looking forward to reading about all of those adventures too.

In case I haven't been clear, I really, REALLY like food. I'm a foodie. I just LOVE it. I love to cook it, and I love to eat it. And I will try anything....pretty much. SO this dinner we were going to at V&A's? I'd been dying to go here FOREVER. But, it's not somewhere you go with your kids (under 10 year olds are not even allowed in), so this was a place we had never tried. Until now. Tonight we were going to see exactly what all the fuss is about.

2009_100106summer0515-1.jpg

2009_100106summer0517.jpg

2009_100106summer0518.jpg

2009_100106summer0519.jpg

And can I just say, even all the fuss about it doesn't come CLOSE to how spectacular V&A's is. :worship: We arrived for our 5:30 ADR (just the one seating at this time of year on this night) and were seated by the most wonderful CM- her name is Diane. I think they should have Diane's picture up all over the backstage areas at WDW with a sign saying "If you try REALLY, REALLY hard, one day YOU might be almost as good as Diane". She was just....awesome. They all were there, but I guess i really just liked Diane alot. Because when she seated us (and she SEATS you- she pushes that chair under your butt so strongly you have no choice but to SIT DOWN!) she said, "Please, take photos. Please take as many photos as you would like, it's ok with us." :worship: Just what I needed to hear!

The personalized menus are waiting on the plate in front of you like a precious gift waiting to be opened.

2009_100106summer0521.jpg

We decided to order different plates for every course so that we could try as much as possible. And of COURSE, we would be doing the wine pairing! One of the things we noticed as we went down the list of items was that Pods & i had different menus...because when they had called us a week or so prior, I had mentioned DH doesn't like melon or bananas- so of course, all melons and bananas were removed from his menu, i suppose so his eyes would not be offended by these heinous fruits!

We were poured a glass of Pommery Royal Brut NV, and served the amuse bouche- and yes, my bouche was once again amused, thank-you very much! This was 4 different dishes using tomatoes-

2009_100106summer0522.jpg

I apologize, i did not write down exactly what each offering was, and just this one is not on the menu. But I believe the top left was with feta or goat and pignoli with dried tomatoes, the egg held the most AMAZING tomato custard (it was heavenly), the one below that was a tomato sorbet, and the bottom left was tomato carpaccio with mozzerella. I think. (Sorry). Before the 1st course, i asked if someone would be able to take our picture- and who out of the 3 of them was the best photographer. Both Bill & Ann (our two exceptional servers) said DIANE! without hesitation. So Diane runs over and starts telling us how to pose, moving things on the table to get it just right- she was hysterical!!

One like this...
2009_100106summer0523.jpg

Ok, now please toast with your glasses...
2009_100106summer0524.jpg

Just one more toast from this angle please...
2009_100106summer0525-2.jpg

Then she said when we were done she would come back at the end because we HAD to pose in front of the flowers, etc. This woman REALLY loves her job, she was sooooo into it! We were served the first bread, an absolutely perfect baguette with the sweetest, creamiest butter-

2009_100106summer0526.jpg

DH- Prosciutto Wrapped Gulf Shrimp with Jamon Iberico (and no melon) served with Maximin Grunhauser Reisling Kabinett Abtsberg, Mosel 2007

2009_100106summer0529.jpg

2009_100106summer0530.jpg

I had Seame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with tat soi Salad and Tamari honey foam, paired with Marcel Deiss Pinot blanc Bergheim, Alsace 2005-

2009_100106summer0527.jpg

2009_100106summer0528.jpg

The sesame tuna was so pretty-

2009_100106summer0532.jpg

Next, Pods had Alaskan halibut with Zellwood Corn & Bamboo Rice Ragout, paired with Langtry Sauvignon Blanc Guenoc Valley Estate 2007-

2009_100106summer0533.jpg

I was having White king Salmon with California Asparagus, Crab & Sauce Bernaise, with Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes, Belgium. Yea, that's right, I was havin' a beer. :rotfl:

2009_100106summer0534.jpg

2009_100106summer0535.jpg

2009_100106summer0536.jpg

Bill told us white salmon is very, very rare, that the reason the fish is white is because of what it chooses to eat. I felt so lucky to be trying it. And it tasted very different from regular pink salmon, it was more delicately flavored. More bread, an herb bread served with an herb butter, i believe-

2009_100106summer0537.jpg

2009_100106summer0538.jpg

Cont'd next post...

Next came the poultry course- I was having Poulet Rouge with mushroom Truffle Ragout, English Peas and Yellow Chanterelles, and an Apollo-Falter Spatburgunder Rheinhessen 2007-

2009_100106summer0539.jpg

2009_100106summer0540.jpg

Pods went with Duck breast, sausage and confit with Salsify, Cherry Sauce and Acacia "Winery Lake Vineyard" Pinot Noir, Carneros 2006

2009_100106summer0541.jpg

Sorry, Donald. I know we promised not to, but you duckies just taste so darn good!
2009_100106summer0542.jpg

The final bread, a grainy one-

2009_100106summer0543.jpg

And it's special butter, that i can't recall-
2009_100106summer0544.jpg

Ann brought us our main course-

2009_100106summer0545.jpg

Pods-Niman Ranch Lamb with fall vegetables and Celery Root, and Castillo Perelada La Garriga Samso, California 2005

2009_100106summer0548.jpg

2009_100106summer0549.jpg

And THIS creation- the potato basket- I think EVERY plate should have one- it was beautiful, of course, but it was also so crispy and so not greasy- incredible-

2009_100106summer0550.jpg

So cute! I had Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Baby Beets and Sherry Bacon Vinaigrette. It was paired with Trinitas "Old Vine" Zinfandel, Contra Costa County 2005. This is why I chose this over the veal tenderloin- I LOVE Old Vine Zin!

2009_100106summer0546.jpg

2009_100106summer0547.jpg

Now it was time for coffee, cheese, and dessert. Like we had any room left for this! The coffee is very special- It is "Celebes" coffee, and it is made in a very special apparatus which Bill explained creates a vacuum and makes the coffee. I was fascinated, really!

The coffee grounds are on top, the water on the bottom, the flame underneath-

2009_100106summer0551.jpg

As the water heats, the vacuum created pulls the water up to the coffee grounds-

2009_100106summer0552.jpg

Then it goes back down-

2009_100106summer0557.jpg

And the very skilled server. Bill, pours it for you. Kids! Don't try this at home!

2009_100106summer0558.jpg

While all this was going on, we were enjoying some cheese- Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farms Goat, 36 mo aged Parmiggiano-Reggiano and Thomasville Tomme. Paired with Quita do Crasto Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2002-

2009_100106summer0553.jpg

2009_100106summer0554.jpg

2009_100106summer0555.jpg

2009_100106summer0556.jpg

For dessert, the Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid, Hawaii Kona Chocolate Souffle and Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream and Puff Pastry.

2009_100106summer0560.jpg

Chocolate Eyelashes- WOW!!

2009_100106summer0561.jpg

2009_100106summer0562.jpg

See the little gold leaf on top?

2009_100106summer0563.jpg

Cont'd next post- too many pics!

We were soooo full...it was nearly impossible to fit this in! We were also served little Friandise, which they packed up in a little box and we ate at home. They put the little box in a black bag, along with our menus and a rose for me, and it was time to say good night to V&A's.

2009_100106summer0564.jpg

2009_100106summer0586.jpg

Sadly, our friend Diane was no where to be found when we made our exit- so no Good-bye and no pics in front of the flowers. :sad1: (It's ok- we'll see her again at some point....:rolleyes1).

Dinner at V&A's is absolutely incredible- very expensive, but really one-of-a-kind (and a TIW card helps!). We have had the opportunity to go to some very fine restaurants in our lifetime, being that we live a stone's throw from NYC. This was right up there with the best of them, but actually a bit better- because of the service. The staff at V&A's has been working together for years and years, and they are serving very high end food in a very friendly manner. They are not at ALL condescending, and THAT is something that very often goes hand-in-hand with high end restaurants, unfortunately. We so enjoyed our dinner, everything was perfect- even the harpist who plays throughout the meal (the Beach Boys, no less! When's the last time you heard T-Bird played on a harp?) :rotfl: was just perfection. I am so glad we decided to go!! :love:

Up next- where do we go from here? Let's "ride the rail!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter