Eat at Home 3!

Cooking dinner is my #1 least favorite thing to do! This thread has given my a lot of great ideas. Thanks!

A family favorite of ours is soft tacos:
Saute ground turkey (or chicken or beef) until cooked. Add a can of refried beans, packet of taco seasoning and can of Rotel diced tomatoes and cook together for a couple of minutes. Spray a 9x13 dish with olive oil. Hold small, soft flour taco shells in the "taco shape" and spoon in about 2/3 cup of the meat mixture into each shell. Put into dish (still in taco shape) and sprinkle each taco with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, etc. Easy go-to meal for us!

Starting January 1- pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.
2- steak, salad and rolls
3-fried potatoes cooked with scrambled eggs and bacon
4-northern bean soup
5-pasta, bread and salad
6- shepard's pie
7- bean and rice burritos, guacamole and salad

Leftovers will be lunches, if there aren't any available I have frozen soups and can make grilled cheese.

Breakfast will be cereal, yogurt and fruit, scrambled eggs and toast or frozen waffles throughout the week.

I still need to get after school snacks. I always think about making fun and exciting things but usually just end up buying stuff.

Menu Plan - Week of Jan 2nd

Saturday - corn/kale/ham chowder
Sunday - meatballs with tomato sauce over spaghetti squash
Monday - lemon pepper salmon, mushroom risotto, and zucchini
Tuesday - cauliflower soup
Wednesday- black bean burgers and sweet potato fries
Thursday - roasted turkey breast, mashed butternut squash and brussel sprouts
Friday - tomato soup with tortellini / spinach

Sun - Most of family at Church spaghetti dinner party, so I'm doing leftovers of tonight's dinner for me (Rotisserie chicken, stuffing, cran sauce, mashed sweet potatoes)
Mon - Dental Issue Day 1 - Gonna do a few days of soft dinner for the family member getting a tooth pulled - Tonight will be a soft Chicken Pot Pie (single top crust with all very sauteed soft vegs), Strawberries (for those can can do these)
Tues - 2 New Year's/Epiphany parties and Dental Issue Day 2, so this will be a leftover Pot Pie/PBJ dinner day for anyone who wants to still eat - I will be dipping 40 people's worth of chocolate pretzel rods with different toppings for the parties in the morning
Wed - Dental Issue Day 3, so this will be a soft Italian Dinner - should be Lasagna and Green Salad
Thurs - Leftover lasagna, Roasted Broccoli (pretty sure the family member should be able to eat this by then)
Fri - Cookie baking day for friend lunch Saturday - I will be making PB kiss cookies, more choco-dipped pretzel rods, and pumpkin spice white chocolate oatmeal cookies (and maybe M&M cookies) for 6 cookie gifts (so about 12-15 dozen total cookies)...so dinner will be Pizza (soft crust) and tropical fruit smoothies (pineapple, clementine, banana)
Sat - Possibly Out, since I'll be making a simple late Christmas lunch for 12 (probably Crockpot Mac and Cheese with fresh sliced apples and peeled clementines and extra cookies for dessert) - if not, this could be leftovers depending how much we eat all week

I will also be making a banana bread and a sweet potato pie for desserts and/or breakfasts (probably on leftover days)...with all the soft foods, I'll be ready for some crunch and texture the following week:)...

Back from vacation, had fun but happy to be home.

Monday: Scrambled eggs, toast, sausage for H
Tuesday: I saw a idea in food network magazine on the plane for grilled cheese and tomato soup, but the soup is part of the sandwich and THEN grilled. I think we are going to try that. Frozen veggies from freezer.
Wednesday: Skinny Taste Crock Pot Chicken taco chili on brown rice http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html
Thursday: I have my workout class. Canned soup/easy night/leftovers
Friday/Saturday (will do one Friday and one Saturday, not sure the order): Grilling cheese burgers, alexa waffle fries and Huevos rancheros
Sunday: Going to Olive Garden. I don't care for OG but we got a gift card for Christmas, so whatever. o_O

Another week, another menu..

Yesterday we went to SIL's for a visit and munched all day on various things.

Monday...Home made wonton soup with veggies on the side. This was a huge hit. I'd give it 9/10 and so did ds11. It's fairly healthy as well. An all around winner that will make it into the regular rotation.

Tuesday.. Pasta with bolognese sauce (ground turkey)

Wednesday.. baked chicken thighs with a bbq dry rub, sweet potato fries, and broccoli

Thursday.. Breakfast for dinner. Eggs, Toast, Juice,Pineapple

Friday.. Not sure yet. Something quick because dh and ds have to run off to basketball.

Saturday..Homemade pizza night. Looking to make a bread machine dough that uses all or mostly whole wheat. I might have to buy the whole wheat bread machine flour though as the regular whole wheat makes the crust too dense.

Sunday.. not sure, maybe dinner with my sister at her place. If not, then wraps (chicken, cheese, veggies etc.). DS and DH have basketball all day again and dd is leaving to go back to University Sunday night :(

Well, I'm sure it's starting to sound like a familiar story to you all by now but...DH was not "ready" to go back to low carb this week.

<sigh> I should have known.

Not much will change though...except that some carb-y side dishes may be added to the mix.

Mon-ham, green beans, twice baked potatoes for the adult and mac and cheese for the kids
Tues-ham and baked beans, pancakes for the kids, fruit
Wed-chicken chili rice bowls, salad
Thurs-spaghetti bolognese (using ground chicken), veggies and dip
Fri-chili topped baked potatoes, clementines (we need to eat them up!!)
Sat-chicken tikka masala, rice, naan, peas
Sun-leftovers

The crockpot is getting quite a workout this week. Last night we had a rotisserie chicken, so I made stock with the carcass overnight. This morning I cleaned it out and put some beans in to cook. When they were done, I cleaned it out again and then the ham bone went for more soup stock. Tomorrow I'll use the ham stock to make lentil soup. That will be lunch. Once that's done, the crock goes back on to make baked beans. On Wednesday, the crock will make chicken chili for dinner and then get a bit of a break until the weekend. I rev it up again on Saturday for the chicken tikka masala. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it all.

And I know this sounds like an obscene amount of food for a family of four (and it IS) but much of it will feed us for lunches as well as dinner and then any leftovers will be frozen for another day.

I'm having a hard time this week coming up with a menu- probably just trying to get back in the swing of things after the holidays :confused3

Sunday- Steak and Au Gratin Potatoes with broccoli
Monday- Tonight, marinated grilled chicken breasts with parmesan zucchini chips, salad, and rice for the guys
Tuesday- Chili
Wednesday- Cajun chicken pasta
Thursday- Leftover chili
Friday- No idea! Maybe pizza?

Oy, holidays are over!!!! Our family is on a super tight budget this month, so meals will be CHEAP! I am going back to school. My tuition is free since I work at the University, but there was a $300 fee that we did not anticipate or budget for. Fortunately, we have a freezer full of venison, smoked pork BBQ, some meatballs with marinara, a bit of shredded chicken, and a ham I got on sale a few weeks ago. All of this should keep the grocery budget down while we catch up financially. This week's menu...

Last night: Chili and Cornbread
Tonight: BBQ Baked Potatoes (BBQ from the freezer)
Wednesday: Pancakes and Bacon
Thursday: Chili Mac (using leftover chili) and Broccoli
Friday: Leftovers

Sunday - Tacos, re-fried beans
Monday - Italian Chicken, pasta, salad, garlic bread
Tuesday - Loaded Nachos, fruit salad
Wednesday - Mac and Cheese, green beans, (boys will eat subway after soccer game)
Thursday - BBQ Chicken, leftover mac and cheese, green beans
Friday - Pizza

I am really craving Chinese take out. However, I really shouldn't break my pledge to not eat out on only January 6th, ugh!

Does anyone know how to make orange chicken or sesame chicken? Vegetable lo mein? Green beans with ginger and garlic? Hot and sour soup?

I have a Veggie Lo Mein dish that my family really likes. It is very easy and quick. I am not the best cook so considering I can make it and my family likes it says a lot. LOL Here is the link to the recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2014/10/03/easy-lo-mein/ I just use whatever veggies I have on hand plus my kids are not fans of spinach. So I usually just use carrots, bell pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms. I have also added water chestnuts and bamboo shoots just for something different. You can do it! Just think how great you will feel knowing you stuck to your plan.

Sun - Most of family at Church spaghetti dinner party, so I'm doing leftovers of tonight's dinner for me (Rotisserie chicken, stuffing, cran sauce, mashed sweet potatoes)
Mon - Dental Issue Day 1 - Gonna do a few days of soft dinner for the family member getting a tooth pulled - Tonight will be a soft Chicken Pot Pie (single top crust with all very sauteed soft vegs), Strawberries (for those can can do these)
Tues - 2 New Year's/Epiphany parties and Dental Issue Day 2, so this will be a leftover Pot Pie/PBJ dinner day for anyone who wants to still eat - I will be dipping 40 people's worth of chocolate pretzel rods with different toppings for the parties in the morning
Wed - Dental Issue Day 3, so this will be a soft Italian Dinner - should be Lasagna and Green Salad
Thurs - Leftover lasagna, Roasted Broccoli (pretty sure the family member should be able to eat this by then)
Fri - Cookie baking day for friend lunch Saturday - I will be making PB kiss cookies, more choco-dipped pretzel rods, and pumpkin spice white chocolate oatmeal cookies (and maybe M&M cookies) for 6 cookie gifts (so about 12-15 dozen total cookies)...so dinner will be Pizza (soft crust) and tropical fruit smoothies (pineapple, clementine, banana)
Sat - Possibly Out, since I'll be making a simple late Christmas lunch for 12 (probably Crockpot Mac and Cheese with fresh sliced apples and peeled clementines and extra cookies for dessert) - if not, this could be leftovers depending how much we eat all week

I will also be making a banana bread and a sweet potato pie for desserts and/or breakfasts (probably on leftover days)...with all the soft foods, I'll be ready for some crunch and texture the following week:)...

Dental issue was worse than planned (they had to do additional work requiring stitches in a different area of the mouth, so it was 2 areas of the mouth they couldn't eat in), so plans are changing a little. Rather than roasted broccoli, since we need 7 days of very little chewing, I got a request for last month's broccoli cheese soup (made from scratch - 1st time I made it last month was a hit) and for chicken fried rice which requires little chewing (since I'm gonna almost mince the chicken and leave out veggies), so that's today's plan (we had also moved lasagna to Monday/Tuesday, b/c that was all the family member wanted to eat for the 1st 2 days)...we'll do the chicken pot pie tomorrow with any leftover soup. I ended up eating the salad as my lunches for this week to save the lasagna for the hurting and to make sure it got used up (usually I eat the leftovers, but not this week:))...

I have a Veggie Lo Mein dish that my family really likes. It is very easy and quick. I am not the best cook so considering I can make it and my family likes it says a lot. LOL Here is the link to the recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2014/10/03/easy-lo-mein/ I just use whatever veggies I have on hand plus my kids are not fans of spinach. So I usually just use carrots, bell pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms. I have also added water chestnuts and bamboo shoots just for something different. You can do it! Just think how great you will feel knowing you stuck to your plan.
Yum, thank you. I will totally be making this!

Monday: Ravioli bake (will freeze half), mixed fruit
Tuesday: Skinny Taste Cheeseburger casserole http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/03/cheeseburger-casserole.html
Wednesday: I have my workout class. Leftovers/easy night
Thursday: Using the rest of the ground beef from the cheeseburger casserole to do tacos. Chips and salsa
Friday: Orange BBQ "dump" chicken, Caesar salad, corn (maybe)
Saturday: Going to a wedding!
Sunday: Leftovers....I think. If not I will come up with something!

Still planning next week, but have the 1st few days...
Sunday - 3 Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells (Aldi's deal) in fresh tomato sauce with Beef Meatballs and Caesar Salad - low work for me so I can watch NFL playoffs:)
Monday - Chicken Fajitas, Fresh Diced Mango
Tuesday - 2nd Chicken Dinner - Mexican is popular here, so I may do Chicken Soft Tacos, Refried Beans, and Raspberries
Wednesday (or Thursday) - Thinking of making a large turkey breast or ham dinner to get it out of my freezer - whichever I choose will be the makings of both Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday dinner. I will make sides of mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry orange bread, stuffing, and some fruits/veggies (still to buy - ham would probably be fresh pineapple, clementines, beans, and turkey would be apples, spinach salad, berries) over these days, depending what the family picks (we'd do the meat the same twice, but change all the sides - 3rd dinner would be TBD based on how much meat is left and what sides are left, but some form of soup/stew likely)...
Saturday - Out

I stayed pretty much on menu last week. I did cave and pick up pizza Friday night after a long work day. This week's menu will be...

Tonight- beef stew with biscuits
Monday- grilled cheese and tomato soup
Tuesday- lemon chicken with rice and sautéed veggies
Wednesday- ham with pierogis and green beans
Thursday- roasted chicken with sweet potatoes, carrots, and salad
Friday- chicken enchiladas
Saturday- leftovers

Hope everyone is enjoying your weekend! :flower1:

I didn't really stick to my menu last week, we ordered take out one night which was pretty gross. Lesson learned, won't order from there again and should have not been lazy and just cooked dinner.

I really plan to stick to it this week though :)

Saturday(last night)- had a couple people over and I tried Lasagna Soup for the first time! It was a hit! Budget friendly too! http://damndelicious.net/2013/12/14/lasgana-soup/ Served with a delicious rosemary sea salt baguette I picked up at Fresh Market. This will be my lunch for a couple days.
Sunday- A bit of a splurge, steak and twice baked potatoes from Fresh Market. Hubby and I rarely do date nights, so this is just something a bit special :love: and costs WAY less than eating out!

Monday- Turkey pot pie with turkey from Christmas from the freezer. I'm going to try making my own crust too!

Tuesday- Hubs is in charge of dinner as I'm going with my son on a big field trip and won't be back in town until 6:30. I'm thinking of having hubs put a roast in the crock pot.

Wednesday- Baked chicken and rice

Thursday- Tacos

Friday- Sweet and sour chicken with fried rice, per request of the kiddo ;)

That's all I've got! Fingers crossed I stick to the plan- if so, I should have no need to go to the store!

Okay. I *think* DH is actually going to do the whole low carb thing this week for his work week. I've planned a nice menu to meet his meat lovin' needs.

Tonight-tacos and bean burritos http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/easy-mexican-side-dish-recipes-refried-beans/

Mon-bacon, eggs and pancakes, fruit
Tues-bacon wrapped mini meatloaves, green beans
Wed-ham, broccoli cheddar baked potatoes
Thurs-crockpot mushroom chicken, salad http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/easy-crock-pot-recipes-mushroom-chicken/
Fri-stir fry for DH, pizza for carbers, veggies and dip
Sat-turkey dinner
Sun-leftovers

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter