Eat at Home 3!

I really like za'atar seasoning, but other than making za'aatar naan to dip in baba ganoush, I wasn't sure what to do with it. how do you make the pizza?

We sprinkle it on top of hummus, toss it with popcorn, or sometimes just mix some with olive oil for a pita dip. So tasty!

I haven't made it before, but this is the pizza recipe that I'll loosely follow - http://whenshaikhacooks.tumblr.com/post/29473675027/todays-slice-yall

I'm also going try this za'atar recipe soon - http://thelemonbowl.com/2014/04/zaatar-roasted-carrots-and-green-beans.html

This is a recipe we make frequently - http://www.olivesfordinner.com/2012/08/zaatar-tofu.html

I sometimes make a pizza with hummus, eggplant, caramelized onions, pine nuts, olive oil, and za'atar inspired by this pizza. http://whatjewwannaeat.com/vegan-israeli-pizza/

My kids love za'atar so I have been looking for more recipes to incorporate it into lately.

Monday - Leftovers
Tuesday - Chicken fajitas, rice and beans
Wednesday - Sausage and peppers sandwiches, pasta salad
Thursday - Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans
Friday - Orange chicken, rice and broccoli
Saturday - Sloppy joes, tater tots, salad
Sunday - dinner out

Usually from pinterest! I plan most of our meals out and have them in a certain board so that I can easily find all of the recipes for the week. Here's my pinterest if you'd like to browse! I move all of our favorite recipes onto my "tried and true" board.

Thanks, I am following you on Pinterest now :)

I've been cooking and cooking! I'm trying, once again, to use up the meat in the freezer, and stay away from the store! I have a grocery store here that marks down meat 2 days before expiration. I buy it and freeze it when I get home! I can't pass it up! So my freezer is usually bursting with meat.

Last night we had homemade pizza...buffalo chicken and cheeseburger
Tuesday we had grilled chicken and garlic butter orzo with asparagus. Yum.
Monday we had scalloped potatoes and ham. Yum

Tonight will be beef and bean burritos, rice, chips
Tomorrow will be pork tenderloin , asparagus, broccoli salad
Saturday??? I will be digging in the freezer again!

Sunday - Easter Dinner with in-laws - My daughter announced that she now is a vegetarian. I don't know what brought this on so I will have to figure out what to make to ensure she has enough to eat without me making two meals every night.
Monday - Pancakes, bacon
Tuesday - Pasta, salad, garlic bread
Wednesday - Hamburgers, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes
Thursday - Chicken and rice, green beans, rolls
Friday - Pizza

Thursday - Grilled ham & cheese, waffle fries, fruit salad

Friday - Chicken and Yellow rice, fresh green beans

Sat - Pulled pork sammies with corn on the cob

Sun - make your own nachos or taco salad

Monday- Burgers, baked potatoes, salad

Tuesday - Breakfast - bacon, eggs, apple pancakes

Just back from a great week at Disney!!
Menu Plan for this week:
Mexican chicken in crockpot
BBQ beef, avocado slices, baked beans
Rotisserie chicken, couscous, asparagus
Leftovers
Pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans

Saturday: Free for all - mom was not feeling well so everyone made their own dinner
Sunday: Oven baked chicken, fruit salad, green beans, and baked beans
Monday: Italian beef sandwiches, fruit salad, chips
Tuesday: cheeseburger pie, salad
Wednesday: Chicken Fajitas, corn, chips/salsa
Thursday: Pasta, salad, rolls
Friday: Buffalo Chicken, fruit

Suggestions needed :

I have an overly difficult family of five to cook for. We eat out way too much, but at the same time eating at home can prove difficult.

I'm not a short order cook, I'm not into making 3 different meals for 5 people, but I do need some flexibility in being able to omit or alter ingredients, such as pasta, I'll just pull out some plain noodles before saucing the rest.
I'm from the school of : this is what I made for dinner, eat it.

DH : love all things from a crock-pot, he likes heavy "man-food". If I made a roast 5 nights a week he would be happy. NOBODY else in our family likes food like this. He really liked thick, hot, hearty food, somewhat I call "winter food" If DH wants meatloaf he better order it while we're out to eat.

Me: Allergic to shell-fish and our entire family doesn't eat any type of fish in general. Also Lactose-intolerant to varying degrees. I can do most cheeses, but things like straight milk or ice cream are no-go's. I grew up on "man-food" as that was what my father dictated we ate. I hate most of it; roasts, stews, pork chops, gravy covered steaks, pot pies, tuna-noodle casserole, heavy crock-pot food. Strongly dislike tomatoes, and tomato sauce, don't even care for pizza sauce. Mushrooms and brussell sprouts are off the table.

DD15- loves all things salad. well, almost all things salad. Generally will eat just about anything I make for dinner in an effort to help prove to her 2 little brothers that they won't die if they eat their (insert food)

DS9 - the most difficult of them all . Both boys used to be lactose intolerant as babies and tots. For the most part their tummy has gotten better, but DS9 has a strong adversion to anything with cheese. He has convinced himself that he would probably die if he ever ate a mouse-size nibble of cheese in his life. He is the king of all things plain. Pasta - plain, sandwiches - plain, chicken - plain, biscuits - plain. He also has himself convinces that I intentionally make specific things for dinner that he doesn't like........( I shop by sales, budget, coupons, etc.....I don't sit around and plot dinner meals against him :charac2:

DS 7 1/2 - Loves all things C H E E S E. Just about anything and everything that could have cheese added to it makes him happy. Has decided in the last year or so that he likes simple grilled chicken breast. Sometimes I can convince him to eat a small steak. Likes very simple type meals. Would live off of grapes and goldfish if I let him

Other problems we face : left-overs. I'll make something, we'll have left-overs, nobody will eat them, they'll sit in the fridge until garbage day and out they go. DH will say he'll take it to work for lunch and very rarely does. I generally make things to appease my family, not because I really wanted that meal in the first place, so if I didn't really want it the first time, I'm not going to care to eat the leftovers of it.

I find that things like pulled pork tacos or beef/chicken fajitas (meat made in crockpot) is easy to fit for picky eaters (top as you want, use leftovers in a taco salad, roll into a burrito and freeze for snack later), or crockpot rotisserie chicken are easy. Also putting meat cubes on one skewer and veg on another-season simply and toss onto a grill-kids can add cheese (or not) or a side sauce (or not) as desired. Meatballs are another easy to do (prep ahead of time -make big big batch-bake off-freeze in meal size portions)-make a quick cheese/cream/olive oil and garlic sauce, a marinara sauce, plain noodles, side veggie and let family mix/match.
I use leftover meat/veg in a "fried rice" recipe that the kids love-topped with lots of scrambled egg for extra protein as needed.

I have a panini press so we will also do a hot sandwich night (another good way to get creative and use up combo of meat/veg) or "breakfast for dinner". Or we will do an "appetizer" dinner-couple baguettes, combine leftovers into a dip/chopped for toppings etc.

Now to this weeks menu:
Sunday: cheese ravioli with sauteed spinach/garlic
Monday: whatever kids can find in freezer
Tuesday: Pulled Pork tacos
Wed: Salmon in Couscous crust, green beans
Thurs: Italian meatloaf, roasted carrots and potatoes
Fri: leftover night/pizza night
Sat:-hoping it is nice enough to throw something on the grill

This week started out rough with me being sick. I hope that I don't give it to anybody else!

Monday: husband brought home quinoa, salad, pasta salad, and a hummus plate from work (freeeee!)
Tuesday: Japanese tofu in slow cooker, leftover rice, roasted veggies from hubs work
Wednesday: slow cooker mushroom soup, homemade whole wheat bread
Thursday: sweet potato burger w/ roasted garlic cream and avocado, slow cooker green beans
Friday: chickpea flour scramble w/ avocado, on toast
Saturday: slow cooker soy curl fajitas, slow cooker refried beans, guacamole, tomatoes, salsa
Sunday: dinner at family baptism gathering

I think this is going to be the cheapest week of meals that we've had in a while and lots of slow cooker meals since I don't know when I'll be feeling better or who will be next!

This is what we've eaten this past week:

Thursday - we ate out at a hibachi grill

Friday - we ate out at Red Robin for lunch and then thai for a late dinner :headache:

Saturday – steak, baked sweet potato, salad

Sunday – Kielbasa and cabbage, salad

Monday – Market day chicken fingers/battered cod, salad

Tuesday – Island pork tenderloin, jasmine rice, Brussel sprouts, salad

Wednesday - I think we will have breakfast for dinner

Rest of the week ??? I work nights starting at 7 pm, and worked 4 out of the 5 last nights. So long as I have a plan, it is easy for me to eat home on the nights I work, because I usually wake up between 3-4 pm and have to leave by 6, so it doesn't leave much time to cook, eat and get ready for work. There's no way I'd want to rush through a dinner out. My nights off is when exhaustion hits and I have not desire to cook/do dishes.

Things have been crazy around here. We lost another employee (theft) and were already short handed so I have been back to crazy hours. Eating at home has been difficult. We have not done much takeout but a lot of grab and go foods from the grocery. I do have this weekend off and am planning to do some prep to make this next week go smoother.

Menu
Saturday- Homemade chicken paprikash with speatzle noodles and green beans
Sunday- Corned beef with roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts
Monday- Spaghetti with homemade turkey meatballs and salad
Tuesday- Beef stew with biscuits
Wednesday- Orange Chicken Stirfry with lo mein noodles
Thursday- Butternut squash soup with sandwiches
Friday- Homemade pizza

Haven't posted in awhile, but here's my plan...
Yesterday - Aldi's pear and gorgonzola ravioli with a homemade "light" beurre blanc sauce and chopped pea tendrils on top (from my farm basket - never had them before and they were good:), caprese salad, blueberries
Today - Subway
Sunday - Hawaiian shredded pork from the crockpot (grocery store huge deal - got 2 to crock - one this weekend and one later:) over southern turnip greens and mashed potatoes
Monday - BBQ Pork Sandwiches (with leftover pork - only cooking it originally with liquid smoke and salt - will add BBQ sauce here to 1/2 of leftovers), caprese salad, strawberries
Tuesday - Pork Tacos (same pork with some taco seasoning and spices added to other 1/2 of leftovers), Green Salad, Refried Beans
Wednesday (if pork is gone:) - Baked chicken thighs, roasted garlic dill potatoes, blueberries
Thursday - Planning to have any protein leftovers and make a green salad and my homemade "poor man's" garlic bread with any extra rolls/breads from the week

Sunday - Cheesy Chicken Spinach Dip Casserole, salad
Monday - Pork and Mushrooms in Red Sauce, rice, broccoli
Tuesday - Chicken Souvlaki, roasted red potatoes, tomato and onion relish, pitas
Wednesday - Kale and Turkey Meatball Soup, grilled cheese sandwiches
Thursday - Cowboy Cornbread
Friday - Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Saturday - Philly Cheese Steaks and fries

After eating out Thursday night, Friday night AND Saturday lunch and dinner (we did go to Philadelphia overnight Friday), I made a plan and went food shopping today. :worship:

Today – grilled chicken with lemon basil pasta, plus I made some of this vegetable thing my husband made

Monday – homemade pizza, salad

Tuesday – Hot dogs, sauerkraut, homemade fries

Wednesday – Chicken tacos

Thursday – Lasagna, salad

Friday – Sweet and sour chicken over jasmine rice

Saturday – left over lasagna

Sunday – Roasted chicken in the crockpot

Monday – slow cooker pepper steak with potatoes over jasmine rice

It will just be me and the kiddos for most of the week so we'll be keepin' it simple.

Sunday: snacks at a baptism party
Monday: slow cooker refried beans, tortillas, salsa
Tuesday: creamy white bean & greens pesto soup, grilled vegan cheese sandwich w/ homemade bread
Wednesday: BBQ Tempeh Sauerkraut Arugula Sandwich on leftover bread, leftover soup
Thursday: family dinner out
Friday: creamy tomato tempeh one pot pasta meal, steamed broccoli
Saturday: cashew spinach spanakopita, roasted carrots, slow cooker granola baked apples

I have been feeling stuck in a dinner rut so I asked each of my children to choose 1 meal that they wanted me to make this week :)

Monday - DS 19 choice - chicken francese with linguini
Tuesday - DS 11 choice - chicken and waffles
Wednesday - DS 12 choice - homemade meatball sandwiches with fries
Thursday - roast in the slow cooker, risotto, asparagus
Friday - Sherpherds pie
Saturday - DD 8 choice - strombolis, pasta salad
Sunday - cookout we are hosting for 100 of DH employees! Burgers, Hotdogs, sides and I get to make 100 cupcakes

Ordered Papa Johns pizza last night, 50% off!
Sloppy joes, baked beans, Ruffles tonight.
Tomorrow, grilled chicken and broccoli, rice, cheese casserole (I've been craving that!)
Friday....if anyone is home, crispy chicken salads.
Sat....probably baked tators topped with sloppy joes for lunch. Dinner....fish tacos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter