• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eat at home 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lilyWDW, still thinking about you and your mom, and sending prayers.

Tonight we had chicken ceasar salads.

Small menu to plan this week..

Last night.. Spaghetti Pie
Tonight.. dinner at my sisters
Wednesday.. Potato Soup and Salad and biscuits
Thursday...Breakfast for dinner..

Friday-Monday.. mini vacation to the mountains:cool1:

Chili in the crockpot for dinner. Just having crackers with it since my family doesn't like cornbread. :rolleyes2

This week will be fun as we start hockey and football hasn't ended yet. So we will be running from football to hockey.

Saturday: Brats & Hot dogs, fruit, chips
Sunday: Lasagna, salad, garlic bread
Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Sloppy joes, fries,
Wednesday: Tacos, corn pudding
Thursday: leftovers (football game)
Friday: BBQ Chicken, baked potatoe, fruit

So this week it's just me and Hubs.. (DD is coming home for the long weekend from college but I don't thinks she'll be sleeping/eating over till next Sun)
so last night me and Hubs has leftovers from Sat night out - DS bday is this Wed (10/3) but because he is at his dad's this week we took him out on Sat night.. He picked his fave pizza place and ordered a large pizza for himself and ate most of it.. Ah to be (almost) 16!

Tonight we are having homemade Chicken Stirfry and frozen pot stickers

Tuesday is homemade Chicken Parm & pasta w/ Garlic bread

Wednesday is Coconut Chicken Tenders, white rice and corn ?? * I might swap this with Sat as our local movie theater does free movie wed night and it's "Dirty Dancing" (no one puts baby in the corner!) and I have a $5 off coupon for food

Thursday is a Pork Roast in the crockpot with fingerling potatoes and carrots and gravy w/leftover Garlic bread and Cranberry sauce

Friday is Chicken Pillows, Rice Pilaf and Green Beans

Saturday we will likely eat out - My bday is the 10th so it'll be my Bday dinner * might be Wed night dinner - depends..

Sunday will be leftover day around DS hockey schedule (2 games, 11:30 and 3:30 in towns that are 1.5 hrs apart UGH)

Well we scrapped the stir fry last night and had more leftovers.. Hub has a 1/2 of a pastrami & corned beef sandwich left and I had some leftover KFC..
resto of the week looks on track however.

I used to teach a living/eating/cooking on your Army pay class to young soldier spouses so I fancy myself pretty good with stretching a buck. I am an ole’ country girl with no formal training but did end up running my own catering business for a while as one of my “1000 Army Wife” jobs. My family consist of me (a lady never tells her age but I will tell you my DH is younger than me, I married directly out of high school and had my first kid at 20), DH 42 (my second marriage, his first), DS 24, DD 23. DD is moving out next month and DS is a full time graduate student living at home. DH and I both work full time and I have been cooking this way since I had kids, DH and I have been married almost 14 years.

We cook at home 99% of the time for dinner and we pack most of our lunches for work. My DD and DS do purchase most of their own lunch items but DH and I usually take leftovers or I get a turkey breast when they are on sale and roast it and we use it for sandwiches. DS is Gluten Free so I make a lot of GF meals or items he can eat if the meal isn’t GF. I have found it is pretty easy when you are not using prepackaged items. I do not use formal recipes, things change each time depending on what I have on hand. I am very lucky that although my mom was a typical 70’s/80’s mom and didn’t cook, I have a wonderful granny and ex-mother in law that taught me how to cook without wasting anything and stretching everything. They called it depression cooking. It is a very healthy way to eat, I have Crohn’s so have to be careful about fat and since I tend to run on the Pooh side of the equation I try to watch those calories. If you see I listed something as fried it is either dry fried in a skillet with non-stick spray or oven fried using my convection setting. With the exception of flour, sugar and beans/rice I try to shop the perimeter of the store. I also have a freezer and love to get things that are on sale and freeze them, I do this with everything from peppers to nuts to veggies. We keep our grocery bill to $350 per month which isn’t too bad for 4 adults.

We aren’t big leftover fans for dinner but I do a lot of what I call “Part Deux”, you will see what I mean below. I don’t buy packaged convenience items or sweets due to the above reasons but for these 2 weeks I baked a pumpkin pie the first week and it is brownies for the 2nd week. We have a lovely family run produce store close that sells local produce and am able to get fresh fruits and veggies for the week for less than $10 as they sell what is “in season”! I also keep items from the garden in the freezer which helps a lot. Another tip I use is to buy bags of frozen THIN SLICED boneless skinless chicken breasts. I can get multiple meals off 1 bag due to their being portioned to about 4 ounces each and the casserole/rice meals only use 2 portions of meat which healthier and cheaper and my family doesn’t realize it is light on meat. I use ground chicken instead of turkey because in my opinion it picks up the flavor of the beef better so I can use less beef, when using ground meat in recipes I use a 50/50 mix of ground chuck and ground chicken. I will use part of the apples to make pancakes with apple topping one weekend morning so I do double-dip a lot on items. Here we go!

Friday - BBQ Turkey Kielbasa with homemade oven fries and mixed veggies.
Saturday –GF chicken/beef meatloaf with oven roasted sweet potatoes and corn
Sunday - cookout – homemade burgers with grilled veggies and slaw
Monday – kids were gone so DH and I had meatloaf sandwiches and fruit
Tuesday – chicken/beef chili
Wednesday – Part Deux night - nachos using leftover chili
Thursday - Crockpot green beans with ham & potatoes– I use a smoked turkey wing to add the smoky ham flavor to the beans and then stir in cubed lean ham before serving
Friday – Order a Pizza
Saturday – Grilled Chicken with a side of left over green beans and potatoes
Sunday – Indulgence night! Pork Chops with “fried” apples(I put the apples in a skillet sprayed with non stick spray and soften them using a bit of apple juice, then at the end I stir in cinnamon, a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and few drops of light maple syrup to help caramelize them); baked mac and cheese (high calorie yummy variety – one of my few indulgences my tummy can take on occasion), daughter will eat what is left for her lunch as long as it holds out since I don’t make it very often.
Monday – Crockpot Roast with Potatoes and carrots
Tuesday – Part Deux night – pork fried rice using the leftover grilled chops
Wednesday – GF Pasta with Chicken and veggies
Thursday – Part Deux night – open faced roast beef sandwiches using leftover pot roast and peas/carrots out of the freezer
Friday – Soup Beans and corn bread and skillet “fried” taters(using another one of those smoked turkey wings and stirring the cubed ham in at the end for the beans).
Saturday – Beef/Chicken taco’s with a side of Part Deux refried beans using left over soup beans to make refried beans
Sunday – Chicken and Dumplings (not GF but son has plans)

All of this, not counting the pizza which I am getting because someone gave me a gift card, cost less than $100 and it is comforting and very healthy.

Items Purchased:
Turkey Kielbasa $5.00
10 lb taters 2.99
5 lbs mixed veggies - from GFS 4.99
2 lbs ground turkey 4.78
2 lbs ground chuck 4.58
2 lb sweet potatoes 1.98
Slaw mix 0.89 on sale
Sandwich rolls 0.79 clearance but still good
canned chili beans 1.29
tortilla chips 2.5 on sale
2 packs frozen green beans 3.98
smoked turkey wings 2.37
1 lb cubed lean ham 2.5
Bag of thin cut frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts 7.99 Pork Chops - 1 1/2 lbs 5.99 on sale
GF Pasta's 3.96 on sale for .99 each so I got 4 - amazing deal as they are normally $2.99 each so I stocked up
Bagged Green Apples 2.99
Two types of Cheese for mac & cheese 6
Gallon 1% milk 2.39 on sale
Chuck Roast 8.69
Rice - 5 lb bag 4.99
Bread 2.89
corn taco shells (I make my own flour tortillas) 1.89
Apple juice 1.99
tea bags - can't live without our iced tea 1.99 coupon!

Grand Total $90.40

I spent an additional $7 and some change (can’t find my receipt) for grapes, peaches, carrots, onions at the produce market.

I also had basics on hand: flour, butter, sugar, cocoa, nuts, spices, canned pumpkin, beans, etc.

Wow ^^^^^^^^^^ that is AWESOME!

My Grocery store bills are around $100 per week but include toiletries, paper products and other household needs so I feel I do pretty well but always room for improvement.. We are Me, Hubs all the time, DS 1/2 time and DD 1/4 time (she's at college now)

I actually took some inventory last night and with items in the freezer we are all set for the main dish of dinner for the next 3 weeks! I amazed myself with that.. I will have to work on the sides, lunches and produce but that should cut my bill quite a bit -love stocking up at Sam's and when our local GS has great meat sales!

Monday was breakfast for dinner

Tuesday was crockpot cheesy potato soup. Yuck! Won't make that again.

Today: Cincinnati Chili 4-ways

Tomorrow: tacos

Friday: if we don't eat out then it will be grilled cheese and tomato soup

Saturday: most likely eat out

Sunday: spaghetti and garlic bread

Last night's crab rangoon wasn't a bit hit, it was ok but I so prefer the ones from the chinese restaurant however the pork fried rice was good so that one will stay on the rotation. Tonight its a new tuna casserole recipe so... hope its good if not dollar menu at mcd or ham sandwiches (lol)

Yesterday, Tuesday. Took In-Laws shopping so they treated to dinner out.
Today, Wednesday. Finally getting to cook the turkey, with stuffing, potatoes, and green bean casserole. We usually don't do desserts but I'm making hand apple pies from Pinterest.
Thursday will be leftovers.

Last Night: barbecued chicken tenders, mashed sweet potatoes, corn
Tonight: Haddock, potatoes and onions oven poached in apple juice, peas
Thursday: Pork chops with a dijon apple juice pan sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans
Friday: Bay scallops in apple juice/yogurt sauce, leftover mashed potatoes, asparagus.
Saturday: no cook day
Sunday: Brunswick Stew in the slow cooker; apples, pears and dried cranberries poached in what's left of the apple juice; maybe biscuits
Can't think past that.

I am making pressure cooker pot roast tonight. I will put the link up later. Our bill is around $100.00/4 of us but sometimes higher if I find a meat deal like I did this week. Monday is a great day to find clearance meat from the weekend.

I keep my pantry stocked with the basics like rice (just bought a 20 lb bag), couscous, beans like black beans I buy by in huge bags and then divide up and freeze. I also freeze and portion soups such as the French onion I am using in my pot roast tonight. That way I just go in and pull out what I need. I just made tamales this weekend but will have to make more. They freeze really well and can be cooked in the mircowave for a fast snack.

I just got into canning this year too. I made my own jam this last weekend and last month made pickles. I may be making pie filling and apple sauce after we go to the pumpkin farm.

unfortunately we only have a top side freezer (not a chest) since we've moved into our own place - a mobile home. so not too much room for extra stuff, however I am going to try and do some "make ahead meals" this weekend using the stuff in my freezer so there is room for the once it's cooked to go back in.. I think it should work out good but we all know what happens sometimes to our best laid plans.. so the plan is ---
cook some meatloaf muffins, some ground beef for sauce and HBH, bake off some chicken breast in gravy (maybe in my crockpot) make the homemade M & C and I'll be good for 4 of my 5 meals next week (not cooking the steak ahead) then if I am feeling up to it I will start on the week after as well which is skillet lasagna, chicken cordon bleu pasta skillet chicken stiry fry w/ homemade egg rolls. I also have 6 brown banana's to make 1 loaf banana bread and some banana muffins. and I have enough apples to make a pie. I also want to make a big pot of Onion soup for my lunches next week.. WOW I'm gonna be pretty busy! LOL

Changed tonight to cheesy bacon baked potato soup (simmering in crockpot) with sliced apples/pears and cinnamon muffins.

ended up with leftover potatoes from the pot roast. I used them and some of the ham I had left from the green beans and made potato ham chowder. That gives me an additional day of meals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter