DVC Annual Meeting - Summary

Blue carpet at BLT - blech. I like the carpet color they have now and the blue that is on the walls. But sure - it's an industry trend.

Guess I need to complain that everything is getting too light and bright.
One of the items specifically mentioned at yesterday's annual meeting by Sonya Deese-Bynes was that the color palettes for all the resort refurbishments are going to a lighter, brighter pattern. Not only are the colors lighter and brighter, but items such as new light fixtures and make-up mirrors are being added to the villas in an attempt to brighten the villas.

Over the years, I've read several comments from people saying, specifically about AKV, that the villas were too dark.

I'll wait until I see the finished product before I pass judgment. But, knowing me, I might not even notice I'm in a refurbished villa at either AKV or BLT because I will be too focused on the view from my villa instead.

The walls are not white, they are cream. Only a little lighter than what is in the rooms now. Just curious but what specifically do you not like about the refurb? AKV is getting a soft goods refurbishment only: carpets, paint, windows. Furniture, lamps, artwork, tile...all appear unchanged.

Current:
jambo-2014a1br-8t_zpsfexkc0sy.jpg

Proposed:
AKV_Refurb_2015_zpssp9mfxoj.jpg

Have the changes to paint, carpet and drapes really taken the resort from "special theming" to "Motel 6 quality"?

I personally like them.

Since there will now be an expiration date , and current members will likely get new "member" cards every year , only "current" members will be able to use any current DVC discounts.

As it stands now , since the current cards do not have an expiration , even if a member sells their DVC property interest , they can still claim (and show proof) they are DVC members and get the discounts .

Thats the end of that loophole (that I am sure a lot of "ex" members might trying to use due to the sellers market of DVC properties right now ) !

One more door slammed shut by Disney ...........in kind of a sneaky way !

dvc_card-png.139438

My first reaction to this is-really? Do people really do this? But unfortunately, I'm probably being too naive and people probably do. So instead, now I'm mad about it-I mean, why should we have to pay (having to make new cards every year or so must cost us something)? Those people who do this, I wish we could figure out how to make them pay!

When I was first a member, we got year stickers for the back of the member card. I'm pretty sure they do verify membership when getting ticket discounts, the number has to be keyed in.

I don't know how using just magic bands would work. Someone could pass off their band to their friends when they are going to the parks. There would have to be a way to read the member name from the band and verify with ID to prevent scamming.

When I was first a member, we got year stickers for the back of the member card. I'm pretty sure they do verify membership when getting ticket discounts, the number has to be keyed in.

I don't know how using just magic bands would work. Someone could pass off their band to their friends when they are going to the parks. There would have to be a way to read the member name from the band and verify with ID to prevent scamming.
Magic bands are tied the ba finger print just like park tickets

They would have to put finger scanners in all the shops, in parks and outside. Also restaurants for the restaurant discounts.

Exactly ........as it stands now when trying to get a DVC discount for retail items, restaurants, etc, the cashier CM, just kind of loosely glances at the members DVC card and ID .
Now they may be required to verify the expiration date too .

Blue carpet at BLT - blech. I like the carpet color they have now and the blue that is on the walls. But sure - it's an industry trend.

The AKV is a bit shocking looking. From all the photos it appears that it is getting the lightest wall color whether it be a very pale off white or just white. I'm guessing that the rust colored accent walls are disappearing too. The design factor of paint color for all the rooms seems virtually non-existent. It's pretty much off white walls. One thing I liked best about DVC is the greater variety in room feel. AKV and VWL were darker. BCV, BWV, VGF were all lighter and I thought SSR, OKW and BLT fell a little more in the middle to lighter end. At least PVB managed to get in before they got the mega deal on off white paint. There are still design variances but the stronger themes are being eliminated. I for one am sad about that. Guess I need to complain that everything is getting too light and bright.

Disney sameness discussions often center on the "One Disney" notion (e.g., we no longer have Disneyland and Walt Disney World, but, instead, Disney Parks). To me, this is "One DVC." Our resorts are becoming more and more alike. Regarding AKV, the carpet, wall color, and window treatments give the room a modern appearance, rather than African artisan craftsmanship. The hallways are lined with African arts, from clothing to jewelry, and colored in earth tones, but the proposed colors of the room are a visual contradiction. I wonder if the main lodge hotel rooms will follow this same industry trend.

Personally, the responsiveness to guest feedback is nonsense. It seems unimaginable that lodge and treehouse villa regulars would covet white modernity. I have yet to take a survey that has asked the direct impact of wall color on my room experience. Moreover, I really would like to know how many people are writing "please paint the walls a lighter color" in the open-ended response section of our surveys.

White, eggshell, antique ivory, natural white, or whatever you want to call it, is easier to spackle, sand, and touchup paint. It is a matter of cost savings.

The walls are not white, they are cream. Only a little lighter than what is in the rooms now. Just curious but what specifically do you not like about the refurb? AKV is getting a soft goods refurbishment only: carpets, paint, windows. Furniture, lamps, artwork, tile...all appear unchanged.

Current:
jambo-2014a1br-8t_zpsfexkc0sy.jpg

Proposed:
AKV_Refurb_2015_zpssp9mfxoj.jpg

Have the changes to paint, carpet and drapes really taken the resort from "special theming" to "Motel 6 quality"?

It is a question of suspension of beliefs. The proposed coloring is clearly a traditional hotel room. The current coloring gives the appearance of stucco/clay. Moreover, the bed has a mosquito net, which is a fitting thematic touch. Now, it seems to have a gold drape.

Although the refurbishments may enhance the overall quality of the rooms, the extension of park theming and ties to resort storytelling is lost.

One of the items specifically mentioned at yesterday's annual meeting by Sonya Deese-Bynes was that the color palettes for all the resort refurbishments are going to a lighter, brighter pattern. Not only are the colors lighter and brighter, but items such as new light fixtures and make-up mirrors are being added to the villas in an attempt to brighten the villas.

Over the years, I've read several comments from people saying, specifically about AKV, that the villas were too dark.

I'll wait until I see the finished product before I pass judgment. But, knowing me, I might not even notice I'm in a refurbished villa at either AKV or BLT because I will be too focused on the view from my villa instead.

When we stayed at AKL before joining DVC, I am pretty sure they had a card in the room asking the blinds be closed at night so the lights would not disturb the animals.

Brighter lights in the room will be nice to see, but it takes away from some of the ambience for the animal watching. No matter what Disney does, there will be some who complain.

Personally, I am thrilled they will be updating rooms more often.

The design factor of paint color for all the rooms seems virtually non-existent. It's pretty much off white walls.

The Boardwalk updates feature walls that are painted shades of green and brown which are at the darker end of the spectrum.

I can understand personal objections to specific color choices or fabrics. No design will ever be universally praised. What confuses me are the knee-jerk reactions from some posters (not necessarily yourself) who immediately scream "the theming is gone!" and "it's a Motel 6!"

Really? Lighter paint tones and suddenly we're equating AKV to a $29.95 per night dive motel chain?

It is a question of suspension of beliefs. The proposed coloring is clearly a traditional hotel room. The current coloring gives the appearance of stucco/clay. Moreover, the bed has a mosquito net, which is a fitting thematic touch. Now, it seems to have a gold drape.

Although the refurbishments may enhance the overall quality of the rooms, the extension of park theming and ties to resort storytelling is lost.

Thank you for this. That's a more reasoned response than I've read so far.

Nevertheless, Disney has an obligation to balance storytelling with overall quality and consumer expectations. Storytelling was at the heart of Walt's theme park business many years ago, but (I suspect) even Walt would agree that businesses cannot turn a deaf ear to the demands of their clientele. Effective businesses adapt and change with the times. They don't arrogantly state "in 1996 we designed the BoardWalk Villas with pink walls and lime green upholstery, so that's the way it's going to stay!"

As for AKV, personally I would choose a slightly darker tone for the walls myself. But the designs aren't finalized, and we don't know what sort of tricks the lighting conditions at the annual meeting may have played with the images posted online. The Jambo hotel room walls are very light as well--perhaps not this light but nothing I would call clay or stucco.

Even if these colors are accurate, it's neither a home run nor a strikeout.

Grrrr! The lack of theming in all these refurbishments really upsets me. Wasn't that one of the things that made Disney resorts so special-the theming? The pure white walls at AKV upsets me the most. OK, I understand the complaints that the rooms seem too dark to some, but is it necessary to go to the white extreme? Theme-gone. As an aside, the whole "It's too dark to me" makes me wonder these days-is there anyone around who stayed at AKL within the first year or so after it opened? I remember that my first stay there was in January, 2002 and at that time my room was so dark that one night when I was trying to read, I had to give up and go down to the lobby to read because the room was just too dark for me to see the pages very well. Since then, it's never been nearly that dark. To me, it's already lightened up significantly at AKL now-I can even read in my room. What more do you need?
I agree. I am currently staying at VWL and I am so disappointed in the room updates, the "Mission/Arts and Crafts" theme is gone. What is in its place is awful and does not go with the rooms, the curtains with the "sticks" on them don't even match the decor, the paint colors do not match. The Theming is ruined. Can we go back to the original decor? Can't DVC come up with like 3 designs and let OWNERS vote on them?

I never thought the studios at VWL were arts and crafts styling. But more of a cabin look with a lot of mismatched fabrics. I have not seen the new look because I am not thrilled with the lack of a real table with chairs versus the attached table to Murphy bed. The photos from trips reports look good. However, you definitely cannot watch TV while sitting at the table and typing on a computer.

I never thought the studios at VWL were arts and crafts styling. But more of a cabin look with a lot of mismatched fabrics. I have not seen the new look because I am not thrilled with the lack of a real table with chairs versus the attached table to Murphy bed. The photos from trips reports look good. However, you definitely cannot watch TV while sitting at the table and typing on a computer.

We just stayed at a renovated BWV room that had the fold down table. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We kept it down the entire time with two laptops on it. And while we didn't watch TV while on the computer, it didn't block anyone else's view of the tv while we were at the table.

We just stayed at a renovated BWV room that had the fold down table. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We kept it down the entire time with two laptops on it. And while we didn't watch TV while on the computer, it didn't block anyone else's view of the tv while we were at the table.

I thought the same. This was a solo trip so I didn't use the murphy bed, I just kept the table open. I had both my iPad and my laptop, I just brought them over to the couch or the bed. I charged the laptop from the table, I loved the plugs under the TV. I also charged my phone under the TV at night, luckily I brought 2 chargers so I charged the iPad on the nightstand so I could pick it up during the night to see the time (I missed the clock).

I loved the TV, I checked the back and it's a 55". The picture was amazing!

Yes the TV in the Boardwalk refurbished studio is amazing! We loved the display that shows what's happening around the world that day, and kept it on just for the music.

This BWV refurb was once referred to as "soft goods with some elements of hard goods."

In reality, I think this ended up being the first hard goods refurb for BWV. Under the original 24 year schedule, it wouldn't have been due for a full rehab until 2030. Far as I could tell, pretty much every element of the rooms was updated including tile, countertops, fixtures and flooring.

The refurb back around 2009/2010 was almost entirely soft goods, with a few other minor changes like that teacup lamp.

IIRC there has been a prior hard good refurb since we've gotten new TV's (before this last batch) fridges, stoves and sofa sleepers.

At boardwalk 1 bedrooms, one room had new nightstands with the power and USB ports, the other room had repainted nightstands missing the power and USB ports. One had a new refrigerator with an old stove, the other an old refrigerator and a new stove.

At boardwalk 1 bedrooms, one room had new nightstands with the power and USB ports, the other room had repainted nightstands missing the power and USB ports. One had a new refrigerator with an old stove, the other an old refrigerator and a new stove.

And they were both considered "refurbed"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter