• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Annual Meeting - Summary

Ken said they couldn't yet share anything about "the second DVC project" at the Wilderness Lodge resort, since they haven't filed the necessary paperwork. However, his terminology seemed to confirm, at least to me, that this will be a new and separate condo association.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/SM/Disney_Wilderness_Lodge_DVC_Exp_Vert_640.png​

If this site plan really happens, and based on the survey markers on site it looks like this is the plan, half of the bungalows will have a blocked view by the island.

I wore this t-shirt to the meeting, and as a result met some new people.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/DM_HOD_TS.png​

Your shirt and pointed questions will probably gain you "friend of DVC" status, welcome to the club.

Thanks for the report!

I'm in a BWV studio right now, love the refurb! I was wondering, what is the difference between soft goods and hard goods? This refurb has practically everything new but I believe it is considered soft goods. New laminate flooring in the entryway/kitchenette/bathroom sink area, new carpet in bed area, all walls painted. 55" Samsung TV, murphy bed, new sofabed, new coffee table (did not have one before), new curtains. Not sure if the nightstand is new. New cabinet with drawers (although all but one contain bedding). I saw them delivering new mattresses the other day. New bathroom mirror, lighted makeup mirror (doubles as a night light). Kitchenette has a new back splash, fridge is new. The only thing that is not upgraded is the bathroom (floor looks new, matches the back splash) and the bathroom sink. Plus the darn Sunbeam toaster that I have a hard time using with my morning bagel (won't stay down until I push it at least 10 times).

Thanks for the report!

I'm in a BWV studio right now, love the refurb! I was wondering, what is the difference between soft goods and hard goods? This refurb has practically everything new but I believe it is considered soft goods. New laminate flooring in the entryway/kitchenette/bathroom sink area, new carpet in bed area, all walls painted. 55" Samsung TV, murphy bed, new sofabed, new coffee table (did not have one before), new curtains. Not sure if the nightstand is new. New cabinet with drawers (although all but one contain bedding). I saw them delivering new mattresses the other day. New bathroom mirror, lighted makeup mirror (doubles as a night light). Kitchenette has a new back splash, fridge is new. The only thing that is not upgraded is the bathroom (floor looks new, matches the back splash) and the bathroom sink. Plus the darn Sunbeam toaster that I have a hard time using with my morning bagel (won't stay down until I push it at least 10 times).

This BWV refurb was once referred to as "soft goods with some elements of hard goods."

In reality, I think this ended up being the first hard goods refurb for BWV. Under the original 24 year schedule, it wouldn't have been due for a full rehab until 2030. Far as I could tell, pretty much every element of the rooms was updated including tile, countertops, fixtures and flooring.

The refurb back around 2009/2010 was almost entirely soft goods, with a few other minor changes like that teacup lamp.

Well, it is official. Animal Kingdom Villas will have stark white walls.

I wonder if the design team is aware of the Lodge's color palette and the representation of color at Animal Kingdom Park.

I am sure that is in response to guest complaints about it being so dark. They look kinda off white or beige in the photo, did they say they were going to be white? In the photo Mike shared if you look at the bedding compared to the wall they are not the same color.

Grrrr! The lack of theming in all these refurbishments really upsets me. Wasn't that one of the things that made Disney resorts so special-the theming? The pure white walls at AKV upsets me the most. OK, I understand the complaints that the rooms seem too dark to some, but is it necessary to go to the white extreme? Theme-gone. As an aside, the whole "It's too dark to me" makes me wonder these days-is there anyone around who stayed at AKL within the first year or so after it opened? I remember that my first stay there was in January, 2002 and at that time my room was so dark that one night when I was trying to read, I had to give up and go down to the lobby to read because the room was just too dark for me to see the pages very well. Since then, it's never been nearly that dark. To me, it's already lightened up significantly at AKL now-I can even read in my room. What more do you need?

I agree that the walls appear to be more of an off-white. It actually makes the white bedding appear less bright. I don't mind the lighter walls, but I worry about that light colored carpet. It's a nice design, but I can see that getting stained and dingy fairly quickly. The bathroom and kitchen will still be dark -- which is fine with me!

I love the pics of the new rooms. I even like the white walls at AKV. I don't think it' has taken away from the theming at all. Although I love the bright and simple lines they are going with. IMO... Thank you for update. I wonder what the surprise is? I really need a new member card too. Ours are falling apart.

I asked a question:

Housekeeping fell 1.3% at BWV, with modest increases at others, but rose 11.1% at BLT, and 17.3% at SSR. Why?

So should the cash guests not cover the higher housekeeping expense instead of being born unto us? Should that not be covered in their nightly fee for daily housekeeping?
Was there a follow up to this?

Great job by the way Mike, thanks for keeping us all informed.[/quote][/QUOTE]

So should the cash guests not cover the higher housekeeping expense instead of being born unto us? Should that not be covered in their nightly fee for daily housekeeping?
Was there a follow up to this?

Great job by the way Mike, thanks for keeping us all informed.
I wanted to ask the same thing. The cash guests should cover all of their own costs, not DVC members. Seems fishy, where is the follow up question?

If this site plan really happens, and based on the survey markers on site it looks like this is the plan, half of the bungalows will have a blocked view by the island.

"Blocked view" is in the eye of the beholder in this case! I'd rather have a view of the island instead of what? The Contemporary? :hippie:

The new member cards have something extra listed, and includes another way that Disney is preventing "rule bending" .

Since there will now be an expiration date , and current members will likely get new "member" cards every year , only "current" members will be able to use any current DVC discounts.

As it stands now , since the current cards do not have an expiration , even if a member sells their DVC property interest , they can still claim (and show proof) they are DVC members and get the discounts .

Thats the end of that loophole (that I am sure a lot of "ex" members might trying to use due to the sellers market of DVC properties right now ) !

One more door slammed shut by Disney ...........in kind of a sneaky way !

dvc_card-png.139438

Grrrr! The lack of theming in all these refurbishments really upsets me. Wasn't that one of the things that made Disney resorts so special-the theming? The pure white walls at AKV upsets me the most. OK, I understand the complaints that the rooms seem too dark to some, but is it necessary to go to the white extreme? Theme-gone. As an aside, the whole "It's too dark to me" makes me wonder these days-is there anyone around who stayed at AKL within the first year or so after it opened? I remember that my first stay there was in January, 2002 and at that time my room was so dark that one night when I was trying to read, I had to give up and go down to the lobby to read because the room was just too dark for me to see the pages very well. Since then, it's never been nearly that dark. To me, it's already lightened up significantly at AKL now-I can even read in my room. What more do you need?

I agree, lack of theming upsets me also. If the villas are too dark, put in brighter lights, don't just make all the resort villas look alike. If I wanted that, I could stay at a motel 6.

The new member cards have something extra listed, and includes another way that Disney is preventing "rule bending" .

Since there will now be an expiration date , and current members will likely get new "member" cards every year , only "current" members will be able to use any current DVC discounts.

As it stands now , since the current cards do not have an expiration , even if a member sells their DVC property interest , they can still claim (and show proof) they are DVC members and get the discounts .

Thats the end of that loophole (that I am sure a lot of "ex" members might trying to use due to the sellers market of DVC properties right now ) !

One more door slammed shut by Disney ...........in kind of a sneaky way !

dvc_card-png.139438

I didn't even know Ex's did this. This couldn't be a huge thing could it?
The thing that caught my eye was member since. Well with the resales on the member site it lists the member joined as the one when it was first bought. Will this be the same?

They should make the member cards like a credit card or a bar code on it that has to be scanned to receive the discounts.

Grrrr! The lack of theming in all these refurbishments really upsets me. Wasn't that one of the things that made Disney resorts so special-the theming? The pure white walls at AKV upsets me the most.

The walls are not white, they are cream. Only a little lighter than what is in the rooms now. Just curious but what specifically do you not like about the refurb? AKV is getting a soft goods refurbishment only: carpets, paint, windows. Furniture, lamps, artwork, tile...all appear unchanged.

Current:
jambo-2014a1br-8t_zpsfexkc0sy.jpg

Proposed:
AKV_Refurb_2015_zpssp9mfxoj.jpg

Have the changes to paint, carpet and drapes really taken the resort from "special theming" to "Motel 6 quality"?

Blue carpet at BLT - blech. I like the carpet color they have now and the blue that is on the walls. But sure - it's an industry trend.

The AKV is a bit shocking looking. From all the photos it appears that it is getting the lightest wall color whether it be a very pale off white or just white. I'm guessing that the rust colored accent walls are disappearing too. The design factor of paint color for all the rooms seems virtually non-existent. It's pretty much off white walls. One thing I liked best about DVC is the greater variety in room feel. AKV and VWL were darker. BCV, BWV, VGF were all lighter and I thought SSR, OKW and BLT fell a little more in the middle to lighter end. At least PVB managed to get in before they got the mega deal on off white paint. There are still design variances but the stronger themes are being eliminated. I for one am sad about that. Guess I need to complain that everything is getting too light and bright.

What should happen is that it should be used and enforced primarily from the MBs. Period. The card should be a BACKUP.

DVC isn't large enough to make it worth the hassle of modifying the software to include membership status. In addition most companies would require that DVC pays for the software changes.

I would rather have them fix the DVC website, the DVC inventory, and the housekeeping schedule.

DVC isn't large enough to make it worth the hassle of modifying the software to include membership status. In addition most companies would require that DVC pays for the software changes.

I would rather have them fix the DVC website, the DVC inventory, and the housekeeping schedule.

You have a PM from me. :)

When I was getting ready this morning in our Kidani Village studio, I noticed how dark the tan paint made the room look. It didn't help that all of the light fixtures all had heavy yellow shades. I am hoping a lighter paint shade that coordinates with the gold soft goods will lighten the entire room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter