Drowning at POP Century

Yes very traumatic. I have worked in a hospital for 3 years and never seen CPR, so seeing it for the first time here and on a teen was tough!

just so everyone knows (it seems like some don't) there are NEVER any lifeguards at the quiet pools at the moderate resorts.

(just don't want anyone sending there kids down to the quiet pool, thinking there are lifeguards)

and no, I don't want this to change. I would hate to see the pools close when the guards go home. we enjoy night swims.

my prayers are with this boy and his family. I see no "fault" at all.unfortunately accidents happen, plain and simple.

The father was obviously right there at the pool, because the article says that he immediately began CPR on the injured boy. The thing about drowning is that it doesn't happen in real life the way it does in cartoons, a person drowning can look OK to an untrained eye (yes, even a watchful parent!), when they are really in serious trouble. Check out this link about what to be watchful for and for information about the drowning response. http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

If you have kids and they spend any time in the water, you really should take a look. Most childhood drownings happen while a parent is present and watching.

Thank you so much for the link to that article. My daughter almost drowned when she was a child and this article describes her spot on when I knew she was in trouble. Sharing with everyone!

Thank you so much for the link to that article. My daughter almost drowned when she was a child and this article describes her spot on when I knew she was in trouble. Sharing with everyone!

That is a fabulous article and shows just how quickly something can be wrong, which is why I was so adamant to the parent who asked at what age can you send your child to a Disney pool without an adult, that this is a dangerous thing to do.

In the article:
And parents – children playing in the water make noise. When they get quiet, you get to them and find out why.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

That poor family! That is just awful

I agree with the others - it can happen so fast. Last year we were at an indoor waterpark and DS(10) was playing in the wave pool which was deeper than his height. DD and I were in the paddling bit at the edge so I could keep an eye on DS. He was fine and then got a funny look on his face. I shouted to ask if was OK but he just stared at me. I swam over, grabbed him and dragged him to the handrail at the edge- only about 7 feet away! He'd all of a sudden just gotten really worn out and couldn't keep afloat. He's a strong swimmer- swims in a swim squad and trains several times a week, but even a good swimmer can get into trouble with little warning.

So sad.I've been praying this boy is ok. I wonder about the lifeguard situation. I know last June DS and I were at POFQ. The lifeguards would check the whole pool, do a head count over and over. It seems unreal a tragedy can happen at such a happy place.

We were at CSR last week and the lifeguard hours were 10 to 8. I noticed because that meant we had to make a point of a mid-day break for the kids to use the pool slide, and I remember thinking that was awfully short compared to our past trips and that maybe it was because of the unusually cool weather. Disney's lifeguards are probably the most attentive I've ever seen but that's no help if they aren't on duty during the times of day most families are swimming.

It is truly a blessing that the father knew CPR. If no one present had known it the boy wouldn't even have a chance at recovery. I used to lifeguard when I was younger and two things I remember from my training was the inability of most people to recognize the signs of drowning and the low percentage of the population who have taken CPR courses. I think a public-awareness campaign aimed at changing both those things is sorely needed.

Updated information on the near-drowning at Pop Century. It includes an interview with a man who talks about helping rescue the teen. Prayers continue to be with the teen and family.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Lo...pool/-/1637132/19276918/-/4th18x/-/index.html

That poor little brother. :worried:

The article says the 13 year old was in 4 feet of water and was a good swimmer. This would lead me to believe that either he dove in head first or had some sort of medical issue which happened to occur in the pool. Regardless, I hope this boy makes a full recovery.

It was at the main pool, the Hippy Dippy. There were many people in and around the pool. It was 9:30pm. The lifeguards left at 8pm. The young boy dove into the pool and hit his head. He is in critical condition and the scene looked very grave. The EMT was straddled on the stretcher performing CPR. The next day the investigation continued as there was many detectives and Disney management in the area. Disney really stepped up and took care of the family. Reedy Creek Emergency Response were brilliant; quick and professional. This was a horrible horrible accident. Please keep the family and boy in your thoughts.

moporho said:
It was at the main pool, the Hippy Dippy. There were many people in and around the pool. It was 9:30pm. The lifeguards left at 8pm. The young boy dove into the pool and hit his head. He is in critical condition and the scene looked very grave. The EMT was straddled on the stretcher performing CPR. The next day the investigation continued as there was many detectives and Disney management in the area. Disney really stepped up and took care of the family. Reedy Creek Emergency Response were brilliant; quick and professional. This was a horrible horrible accident. Please keep the family and boy in your thoughts.

Yes, please pray for them!!!! This is not going to have a good outcome...this is a true tragedy!!

So very sad.. We were also at pop that night but were over at the computer pool at that time. We were over at the other two pools earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter