1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Drowning at POP Century

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by dbhpsu, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jillmc40

jillmc40 DIS Veteran

I had nightmares about this last night...This type of accident/tragedy really shakes me to the core. I pray for this family.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. lucigo

lucigo DIS Veteran

4. roomthreeseventeen

roomthreeseventeen Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

5. luvdisney77

luvdisney77 Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, it looks as though the boy passed. :( Does anyone know if he had a seizure? With some forms of epilepsy, seizures start right at puberty which he was right at this age. So, so sad. :(

6. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

Agree with everything you said! I was a lifeguard from age 15 to 21. I was always amazed at the parents who would send their kids, some under 10, to the pool for the lifeguards to "babysit." I actually had one mom tell me that! Luckily, the pool was never crowded so it wasn't an issue and it was the late 80's when things seemed so much more simple.

I hope that this incident will make ALL parents think twice about appropriate pool safety. Like someone else above said, you can drown in an inch of water. Doesn't matter how much water Disney takes out of a pool (mentioned in a post above somewhere) if they aren't completely EMPTY, you can drown.

God Bless the family of this precious young boy who is gone way too early.

7. lucigo

lucigo DIS Veteran

All I can tell you is that I got it from a friend who is a friend of a family member. I will try to get something more concrete.

8. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Thanks I did not know this.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

9. Dis703

Dis703 DIS Veteran

Oh no, that's so terrible to hear he didn't make it. I had been following the story and was so hoping to hear some good news. Absolutely heartbreaking.

10. lovethattink

lovethattink DIS Veteran

This is all so so sad, and hits so closely to home. I was wondering the same thing, luvdisney77. My son had a seizure at swim lessons a couple summers ago.

Whatever the reason, it's such a tragedy and my heart breaks for the little brother and family.

11. kdzgon

kdzgon DIS Veteran

I disagree (re: "paid professionals..."). Accidents happen - it's a fact of life. My guess if any change in policy comes about, it will be closure of the pools when lifeguards go off duty (not predicting it, just saying the more likely outcome of two options).

No matter what, I know my heart breaks for the family!

12. lucigo

lucigo DIS Veteran

She said it was posted by a cousin to a military site and that he knew information about him and his condition before it was made public, but still, donate at your own risk I guess.

13. danny25

danny25 I love Disney and I´m friend of STICH

No words to say how feel. :(
    Our hearts are with this family

14. VACamm

VACamm DIS Veteran

So sad... Praying for this family xo

15. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Thank you for an excellent post.

When I was a child a friend of the family (age 6) had a seizure in a bathtub of 3" of water, fell forward and drowned.

I am a Horse Person and I completely concur with what PP said. You can employ every safety measure (gloves, helmet, impact vest) and still have terrible tragedies like Christopher Reeve.

16. tazdev3225

tazdev3225 <font color=darkorchid>I sucked my thumb up with t

I read about this from a FB posting and was so saddened by it. I agree with others anything could have happened. I cannot swim but made sure my kids and now my grandkids can swim. We have belonged to a swim club for years and I will be in the pool way more often than I want to be again this year. I made complaints several times to the management last year about people who let their 3 year olds wearing "swimmies" go in the big pool alone while they napped and worked on their tan. :confused3

I can attest to the fact that drownings happen fast and silently. My DD was in the pool with 2 of my grandsons last year and turned her back for a second. My older DGS started screaming so she went to him thinking he was in trouble. The boys were within arms reach of 3 adults. He was screaming because my DD's son was drowning and he didn't know what to do. The older boy, by a year, couldn't swim and was trying to save him. The lifeguards and other adults there all looked stunned. They thought the boys were playing. The lifeguard apologized to me all summer for not jumping in quicker. The entire incident happened in less than 10 seconds but it seemed like an eternity. My heart breaks for that family.

17. slg4crzn

slg4crzn Mouseketeer

I agree. I read his parents were at the pool and the boys had been playing and a short time passed and they realized he wasn't around. He could have jumped in and hit his head ?? Pools are not the place for horse playing and it only takes a very short time for an accident to happen. Fault doesn't have to go on anyone. Not the boys, parents, no lifeguard or Disney. It's always posted NO LIFEGUARD and sadly accidents happen. Prayers and sadness to the family---a Missourian

18. MELSMICE

MELSMICE Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be

I'd wait to see if it's verified. The name of the resort is incorrect

The firefighter that was at the pool bar that helped him was on our local news tonight as he helped him. I didn't know it was someone from our area. He did not speculate on whether he hit his head, had a seizure or anything else.

19. mjperry

mjperry One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of

So it was not at the Pop Century Resort?

20. smitch425

smitch425 DIS Veteran

Yes. It was at Pop Century.

21. mjperry

mjperry One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of

That's what I thought.