1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Drowning at POP Century

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by dbhpsu, Mar 10, 2013.

1. gwynne

gwynne Be always blooming

This so very sad. The family and responders continue to be in my prayers.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. dp911

dp911 Mouseketeer

It says no diving and yet people do what they want. Bad Choices have consequences. I feel bad but hope people take it as a lesson to follow the rules posted They are not just there for show.

4. roomthreeseventeen

roomthreeseventeen Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

It would be awesome if we didn't blame a dead child.

5. a1tinkfans

a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Beyond words to explain the grief and sadness!

That poor poor family and friends and responders as well.
    :hug:

:sad1:

6. NHTikiBeckie

NHTikiBeckie DIS Veteran

Seriously!

7. Polydweller

Polydweller DIS Veteran

Extremely sad to learn he didn't make. My thoughts go out to the family in what must be an unbearable time for them. Heartbreaking.

8. wdwmom3

wdwmom3 Mouseketeer

Well said. Can't believe what his family is going through.

9. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

Or hit his head doing any number of normal pool things... My older DD, who is a strong swimmer and very comfortable in the water, once hit her head hard enough to "see stars" while practicing flip turns. She wasn't doing anything wrong, it was just a shallower pool than she's used to and she went too deep on the turn. I imagine the same could happen when doing somersaults or otherwise just playing around underwater. Sometimes accidents happen even when no rules are broken. Tragic, but a sadly unavoidable fact of life.

My heart breaks for the poor family that is dealing with this nightmare. No matter what the circumstances, the bottom line is that instead of making wonderful family memories they're dealing with an unimaginable tragedy. :sad1:

10. roomthreeseventeen

roomthreeseventeen Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I hope that if any good can come out of this horrible tragedy, that maybe Disney will revisit its policies regarding having unattended pools. As good as parents can be about watching their children, as has been mentioned many times in this thread, ANYONE can drown without it looking like a movie drowning. Paid professionals should always be there.

11. KingofSwing3000

KingofSwing3000 Mouseketeer

12. osugal

osugal Mouseketeer

No kidding! What's wrong with some people? God Bless that poor kid's family right now.

13. AuroraRora

AuroraRora Princess

So sad and tragic, that poor family :( How heartbreaking

14. bowbat

bowbat DIS Veteran

Oh, no. :sad1: Horrible, my heart breaks for his poor family. Just tragic.

And THIS times a million:

15. siskaren

siskaren DIS Veteran

You expect them to have lifeguards at the pools 24 hours a day?

16. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

More likely they would stop allowing people to swim when the lifeguards go off duty. Which would be a shame. If people are willing to take the chance of swimming once the lifeguard leaves, they should be allowed to do so. I know we have many times, and the pools are usually still full of guests, so we are not the only ones.

I also don't think they will pay for another 60 or so lifeguards to watch the quiet pools.

17. Grandmatoniko

Grandmatoniko Mouseketeer

:sad1:So very sad:sad1: My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

18. jhryb

jhryb DIS Veteran

very very sad - sorry not much to add I am just in shock. I really hoped that we would get some good news.

19. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

My heart goes out to the family, the responders and the people at the hospital who worked tirelessly to attend to the family. I am sure everyone's hearts are heavy tonight.

Sadly, people use this type of situation to chastise Disney since they seem to think they must be held to some higher standard than many other resorts and parks. Ultimately, we need to take responsibility for our actions.

I myself have enjoyed on my solo trips to POR staying near one of the quiet pools and happily dangling my feet in the pool at 2:00 am or so. I would be disappointed if as a PP stated Disney has to provide people watching their guests 24 hours a day. That cost would be passed along to us and people complain about the cost already.

20. suemom2kay

suemom2kay DIS Veteran

My prayers are with this family. I cannot begin to imagine their grief.

For those blaming the dead child for diving, really? First of all no one knows what happened. He was found unconscious. May hav hit his head. But no mention of blood so probably unlikely. May have had a medical event. May have grabbed a bite of food, and went in the water and choked.

Hold your judgement.

21. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

I'm hoping for just the opposite - that Disney doesn't revisit their policies, and understands that sometimes accidents happen despite reasonable precautions. The only thing that can come from a reevaluation of 'swim at your own risk' policies is a sharp reduction in the hours and locations at which swimming is available, because Disney isn't likely to go to the expense of having more lifeguards on staff to extend attended hours or to station lifeguards at every quiet pool around the property.