Done with DCL

And this is not to say that DCL sails rusting hulks. Quite simply, DCL may not be the best in its field to many people, and even if it is perceived to be the best in its field, the gap is narrowing, all the while the price gap is growing. When the lines stop intersecting, then people are going to leave. And they are.

I Couldnt agree more, We went on the NCL Getaway a few weeks ago and had a GREAT Time, had GREAT service,FANTASTIC Food, and the kids had a lot of fun. My 4 year old said he liked the NCL cruise BETTER than Disney. My 7 year old (huge mickey fan) said he liked both the same..... unless Disney comes out with a new Ship or lower prices, count this family out. We love Disney (going tomorrow!)..but NCl, Carnival and RCCL are cranking out some amazing ships and running some great promo's. The competition is heating up... We already did a DCL classic Ship (magic) and "newer" ship (fantasy) so I feel like we've done them all..i wish they had plans for another ship

We love disney...and we love cruising. However we find by fullfilling our needs separately by going to disney world to get our Disney Fix...and going on some of the Newer more exciting cruise ships for our cruise fix (for LOWER price than DCL) is working out better for us both financially and just overall.

BUT if disney were to come out with a NEW ship count on us to be book it opening day!!lol

There are so many factors to consider when choosing how to spend our vacation dollars. The only thing I will caution against is missing the Disney cruise experience when your children are young. There is no going back. They won't be in 5 to 12 year old range for very long and suddenly one day, before you even realize what happened, you will wake up and realize they are grown up. They are going off to college or getting engaged to me married or starting a new job. Every age of a child is special....but there is something especially special in that 5 to 12 age period. Doesn't last long and you slowly realize they no longer want to hold your hand anymore. Or they don't grab your arm for security because, while Mickey is very cool, he is also a little bit scary. So many good memories on our Disney cruises.......
This is beautiful and very well said. we loved the DCL experience for our kids. we went when they were 1.5 and 4 and again when they were 4 and 7...both trips were magical for them. I encourage friends and family to def. try DCL for their young kids.

I cruised on the Dream 3-day cruise in Sept for about $700 per adult for a veranda room. If you found a 7 day cruise for that in a verandah room for less than that then you got a bargain. I'm not a fan of NCL.

Last December, I booked a studio room for $399 on NCL Epic. An inside would have been about $359pp I believe. Way, way cheaper than a 3 night on DCL!

I so much agree! The freestyle dining is very under-rated! Even though I love DCL's MDRs, (especially Animator's Palate,) I can't really see myself enjoying other non-DCL cruise lines now. Loved all of the choices on the Getaway. The MDR (Tropicana) on the Getaway, BTW, was great at dinner too!

I also love Freestyle dining. It was the only cruise I didn't gain weight on because I didn't snack. I just ate when I was hungry. Cagney's was amazing. One of the best steaks I have eaten ever.

Whenever I look at other cruise lines (and I do all the time because I choke at DCL prices), I find myself drawn to the suite or whatever and since we are booking interior rooms with DCL the price difference generally goes away. But the interior rooms on other lines are so so tight, that I think it would make us miss DCL so much that it would not be worth it. Not sure if anyone else has run into this. Or if anyone has booked on the interior rooms of other lines. I also like hearing what people have to say about DCL prices and switching lines.
I get a little freaked out at the room sizes on other cruise lines. But, we did 14 nights with our boys in the same room as us on the Wonder in May. 306 sq ft verandah room. We decided then that sailing with our boys in the same room as us just isn't going to be comfortable anymore. They're so big. So much stuff. And I don't want to be picking up their junk or stepping over their size 13 shoes while they sleep different hours from us. Disney or not, big rooms or not, our boys will need heir own space. Or, more importantly, I need my space. LOL! But I do get what you're saying and, no, you aren't alone in that thought process. When we sailed Allure in 2013 (boys were younger) we put them in an inside room across the hall from our balcony room. At the tween/teen ages that's a viable option. Worked nicely. It's also helpful that other lines do have the beds that split into 2 twins. That's another big plus when bringing our sons & having them in their own room.

I don’t know if the pricing is that out of line, there are a lot of things to look at. When people talk about RCCL being less expensive I think it come down to how you look at the ships.

With a family of 4, 2 Adults and 2 Kids.

The Cat 5 verandahs on Fantasy Eastern Carib in Feb 2017 were about $1500 more the same equivalent stateroom size wise on RCCL . ( 182 sq feet + verandah RCCL vs 204 sg feet + verandah DCL) while the going up to Cat 4 verandahs DCL was about 200 cheaper without the OBB and even more with the OBB. Cabin sizes for equivalency were 287 + Verandah for RCCL and 241 + Verandah for Disney).

At double occupancy RCCL for the same week on an equivalent ship has about 41 tons of ship per passenger vs 56 tons of ship per passenger on DCL. When we max out occupancy on both it drops to 35 tons for each.

So when people talk about how much cheaper RCCL is it is because they have smaller cabins, thus they can fit more people onto a ship and sell more for less.

This doesn’t even take into considerations like more dedicated children space, quality of programing, and the such.

So to book Harmony of the Seas the same time period as my Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy Cruise in Feb 2017. (Disney Feb 25th, Harmony March 4th) I know harmony is new but it is still about the same price as the others for same itinerary in the RCCL line there was about a $100 to $200 difference between Oasis and Harmony for the same cruise over the same two week period. Plus they are to have the largest kids area at sea which is a huge plus for us.

For my Family of 4

Harmony of the Seas in Jr. Suite (287sq feet + Verandah) is $6334.38, Disney Fantasy Cat. 4e (241sq feet + verandah) is $5733.40 and with my OBB was $5198.00

Royal does have some pretty awesome suite perks
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/.../enhanced-program-for...

However the fine print does say that doesn’t include junior suites. So looking at the fine print unless you upgrade to a Grand Suite which is $6619.68 for the equivalent cruise you are treated the same as everyone else, just like disney non-concierge.

If you are comparing concierge to concierge then RCCL wins on price hands down.

I understand the comparing DCL from one year to the next. That is why people are upset because the cost has gone up.

If you are going to book on another cruise line you have to compare the two.

In the end you have to do a fair comparison to what you are getting for the price. I know everyone is upset but I still have yet to see any convincing price that makes me say another cruise line is better value, especially for the category stateroom we want to sail.

Just priced out a 3 night DCL vs a 7 night celebrity in the same time frame and the celebrity cruise is only 300$ more to get 4 extra nights. Also looking at celebrity's options for the Panama Canal cruise, we will probably go with them to start earning more loyalty points on another line.

Hi JW,
Well.... the forum IS the place to vent!!! All kidding aside, if DCL reads this, perhaps it will impact in a positive way. People are also comparing cruises and cruise lines, and I for one, appreciate them sharing experiences.
While I appreciate that you think DCL price mongers will see this post. They look at the big picture. The ships capacity per cruise. I'm sure for everyone that leaves DCL and heads another way. We have just the same that comes to Disney. Good thought though.

While I appreciate that you think DCL price mongers will see this post. They look at the big picture. The ships capacity per cruise. I'm sure for everyone that leaves DCL and heads another way. We have just the same that comes to Disney. Good thought though.

VERY VERY True.... Supply and demand keeps driving these prices up. I am guilty too... I keep rebooking. My pockets are deep, but I get upset when I feel the price outweighs the value.

You are correct, someone will always be in line.

Grand Floridian is about $450 a night.

Pop Centurty is about $100 a night.

Just say in'....

:-)

Cost and value are entirely different. Cost is simply money. Value is very subjective and personal.

If you are happy that you are sailing on the cheapest cruise line I am happy for you. A Disney cruise is a unique experience.

Comparing cruise lines is like comparing cars. We all have different needs and desires and tastes. I think my Ford F-150 Raptor 4WD is bad to the bone....but if you are a soccer mom, my 13 mpg pickup is not for you. :-).

Grand Floridian is about $450 a night.

Pop Centurty is about $100 a night.

Just say in'....

:-)

Cost and value are entirely different. Cost is simply money. Value is very subjective and personal.

If you are happy that you are sailing on the cheapest cruise line I am happy for you. A Disney cruise is a unique experience.

Comparing cruise lines is like comparing cars. We all have different needs and desires and tastes. I think my Ford F-150 Raptor 4WD is bad to the bone....but if you are a soccer mom, my 13 mpg pickup is not for you. :-).

I stayed at Disney value resorts in January and May (Music, Pop Century, and Sports) - all at less than $100/night. They were perfectly adequate. I'd love to stay at the Grand Floridian, but I am unwilling to spend that much money for a hotel room where I will only sleep. I feel the same way about cruise ship cabins - regardless of the cruise line. I am perfectly happy to stay in an inside cabin and spend my money on other things - like more and/or longer trips. However, I have booked oceanview and balcony cabins on the few occasions when price drops made the higher category cabins not much more money than an inside.

We will probably be back to DCL for a Panama Canal cruise. The Hawaii cruise was unbelievable, and I have heard they handle the Panama Canal cruise in a similar way. For that trip we want to go with a line that we know what to expect. For a winter getaway cruise to the Caribbean we will go with the best value.
We just did the Hawaii cruise in Sept and it was amazing. Were planning on Panama 2017. I would go in August next year, but the prices were really high. A lot higher then May 2016. Not sure why maybe they're counting on people taking their kids out of school for the first week.

My goodness... We just booked the same trip in May 202
We just came back from the San Diego to Ensenada 3 nights on the Wonder and had such an amazing trip. But it was under $3000 for 5 of us and I thought that was OK pricing. I just asked for a quote for a 5 night from Miami in March 2017 and it was just shy of $8000. Plus, we'd have to travel to Miami. Looks like a great trip, but we won't be sailing then. Maybe another time, another trip. I do want to do one more Disney Cruise while my kids are still a good age for it, but have cruised Royal Caribbean with just adults and enjoyed it.

My goodness.. I just booked the same trip for May 2016 and four four paid almost four grand!

DS and I were excited waiting for April 2017 to be released Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. He will be travelling with his girlfriend and we are tagging along. As a working adult this is the first time he will be paying for his own trip. We were shocked and disappointed at the eyewateringly extortionate increase in price over current April 2016 prices. DS can't afford it. I can but I chose not to. Enough is enough:sad2:

Bye bye DCL it's been nice knowing you but time now find a new cruising friend with a more realistic expectation of how much it can prise from my wallet

Whenever I look at other cruise lines (and I do all the time because I choke at DCL prices), I find myself drawn to the suite or whatever and since we are booking interior rooms with DCL the price difference generally goes away. But the interior rooms on other lines are so so tight, that I think it would make us miss DCL so much that it would not be worth it. Not sure if anyone else has run into this. Or if anyone has booked on the interior rooms of other lines. I also like hearing what people have to say about DCL prices and switching lines.

Yes - on Carnival there are two types of less expensive cabins that I highly recommend.

1. Porthole cabin - these are priced the same as their regular inside cabin and on the newer ships (which BTW, sail out of Galveston) are 220 square feet with 2 port hole windows.

2. Deluxe Ocean view cabins (not balconies - they have the big picture window). These are designed to sleep 5 and have a split bath (same as DCL).

The Carnival Breeze is moving to Galveston in May 2016. It's Carnival's newest ship and has some really great bells and whistles including the Waterworks area, ropes course, Guy Fieri Burgers, Sports Square, and the Red Frog Pub.

At double occupancy RCCL for the same week on an equivalent ship has about 41 tons of ship per passenger vs 56 tons of ship per passenger on DCL. When we max out occupancy on both it drops to 35 tons for each.

So when people talk about how much cheaper RCCL is it is because they have smaller cabins, thus they can fit more people onto a ship and sell more for less.

This doesn’t even take into considerations like more dedicated children space, quality of programing, and the such.
I've been on all of the Disney ships, and three Royal Ships (Enchantment, Freedom and Oasis). Even though Freedom and Oasis can hold a lot more passengers, I NEVER found the ships crowded. The Fantasy and Dream I DO find crowded. Royal designs their public areas a lot better than Disney does. They can fit more people onto a ship, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's more crowded or "worse" for it.

Harmony has inflated pricing right now since it's a new ship and is in the inaugural year of sailing. I picked a random week on Oasis, since she is moving to PC when Harmony arrives:

7 Night Eastern on Fantasy (1/14/17)
Inside (169 sq ft) - $2698.70
Outside (204 sq ft) - $2810.70
Verandah (246 sq ft) - $3006.70
Concierge 1-Bedroom (622 sq ft) $11042.70

7 Night Western on Oasis (1/15/17)
Large Interior (172 sq ft) - $1791.28
Oceanview (179 sq ft, since Oasis doesn't have OVs that are larger where you can see the ocean) - $1951.28
Superior Oceanview with Balcony (232 sq ft) - $2251.28
Grand Suite (476 sq ft) - $5233.28
Owner's Suite (799 sq ft) - $6333.28

At worst, with a similar size room, you would save $700 by sailing Oasis. And if you're going to pick an inside then that's the same as paying for another 1/3 of a cruise. It does become less if you have an OBB with Disney, but it's still a decent chunk of change. Comparatively, suites are a LOT cheaper on Royal. Disney includes the balcony in the sq ft of a room whereas Royal lists them separately. So while Disney says their verandahs have 246 sq ft, Royal says theirs have 182 sq ft plus 50 sq ft balcony.

NCL Epic is also moving to PC in late 2016, which is yet another cheaper ship to sail on than Disney. I will agree that NCL's insides are MUCH smaller than Disney on the Epic, and they don't have any family sized rooms. A balcony room on that same week sailing would be $2262.38, so similar to Royal, BUT NCL is offering their choice promo right now which would make it cheaper overall if you are going to use their free stuff. :) Insides were also only $1362.28, so you could get two insides and still come out the same price as Disney for much more space!

Plus, this is an off peak week. I can't imagine the price difference if I picked a week when kids are out of school! Or if I picked Freedom class vs Oasis. There are some wonderful deals to be found on Freedom class.

Edit: Looking at this, I might be sailing the Epic a whole lot in 2017. ;) LOL

7 Night Eastern on Fantasy (1/14/17)
Inside (169 sq ft) - $2698.70
Outside (204 sq ft) - $2810.70
Verandah (246 sq ft) - $3006.70
Concierge 1-Bedroom (622 sq ft) $11042.70

7 Night Western on Oasis (1/15/17)
Large Interior (172 sq ft) - $1791.28
Oceanview (179 sq ft, since Oasis doesn't have OVs that are larger where you can see the ocean) - $1951.28
Superior Oceanview with Balcony (232 sq ft) - $2251.28
Grand Suite (476 sq ft) - $5233.28
Owner's Suite (799 sq ft) - $6333.28

You really should compare itinerary to itinerary as both RCCL and Disney charge more for eastern vs western
Also as i stated some rooms are cheaper but not always the case

On RCCL the week of Jan 22 a verandah with 187 sq foot room and 50 sq foot balcony (237 total sq feet) is $2293.90
On DCL the week you showed the standard verandah is 204 sq feet with a 42 sq foot balcony (246 total sq feet) is 3006.70

On RCCL the same week a Jr Suite 287q feet and 80 sq ft balcony is $3595.90
On DCL the Deluxe family oceanview with verandah Cat 4e extended balcony 241 sq feet with 80 sq foot balcony is 3412.70

Don’t be fooled by the name of the RCCL room as a suite, it gets no extra perks or suite privileges.

Since we book Cat 4 when sailing Disney as we like the extra room it is cheaper for us than RCCL.

My point is everyone is complaining that Disney is so expensive compared to RCCL. I am just saying that is not always the case, Not every Category is more expensive, just most of them.

Also the argument that Harmony is newer ship and that means it will cost more can also be used for why Fantasy is more expensive, after all it is only 3 years old compared to 8 years for Oasis.

I don’t know if the pricing is that out of line, there are a lot of things to look at. When people talk about RCCL being less expensive I think it come down to how you look at the ships.

With a family of 4, 2 Adults and 2 Kids.

The Cat 5 verandahs on Fantasy Eastern Carib in Feb 2017 were about $1500 more the same equivalent stateroom size wise on RCCL . ( 182 sq feet + verandah RCCL vs 204 sg feet + verandah DCL) while the going up to Cat 4 verandahs DCL was about 200 cheaper without the OBB and even more with the OBB. Cabin sizes for equivalency were 287 + Verandah for RCCL and 241 + Verandah for Disney).

So to book Harmony of the Seas the same time period as my Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy Cruise in Feb 2017. (Disney Feb 25th, Harmony March 4th) I know harmony is new but it is still about the same price as the others for same itinerary in the RCCL line there was about a $100 to $200 difference between Oasis and Harmony for the same cruise over the same two week period. Plus they are to have the largest kids area at sea which is a huge plus for us.

For my Family of 4

Harmony of the Seas in Jr. Suite (287sq feet + Verandah) is $6334.38, Disney Fantasy Cat. 4e (241sq feet + verandah) is $5733.40 and with my OBB was $5198.00

Royal does have some pretty awesome suite perks
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/.../enhanced-program-for...

However the fine print does say that doesn’t include junior suites. So looking at the fine print unless you upgrade to a Grand Suite which is $6619.68 for the equivalent cruise you are treated the same as everyone else, just like disney non-concierge.

If you are comparing concierge to concierge then RCCL wins on price hands down.

I understand the comparing DCL from one year to the next. That is why people are upset because the cost has gone up.

If you are going to book on another cruise line you have to compare the two.

In the end you have to do a fair comparison to what you are getting for the price. I know everyone is upset but I still have yet to see any convincing price that makes me say another cruise line is better value, especially for the category stateroom we want to sail.

timing also has something to do with this: Cat 7a on Fantasy for April 16 was $8200. 246 sq feet including Verandah. On RCI pretty much same size room...not obstructed at Cat 7a is...and it was $5111. Thats a $3100 difference....that's HUGE. So when comparing apples to apples on the same cruise time frame.. RCI just made more sense.

for now, i'm playing both sides. i have put a deposit on april 15 Harmony for $5111 verahda ocean view room. and i put a deposit down on DCL Fantasy April 16 that is only Large Porthole window, $7150. Family of 4. i will give it a year or more and really decide. if my finances work out better and it won't harm me, i'll stick with DCL. and For me i'd rather have Eastern on RCI than western on DCL that cruise. So there is itinerary and cost. Trust me...it's not like i'm just giving up on DCL. I am absolutely torn as to which way to go. Save $2100, lose the balcony and still have the Disney experience and feeling? or see what another cruise line is like. I know what i can do on the Fantasy. I know what Sea Days are like, i know the restaurants....i have no idea if i'll enjoy RCI dining or the activities on sea days. I just don't know. it's like universal orlando or WDW. Very different. There is no magic and "bubble to live in at Uni, but there is harry potter world that is AMAZING. But WDW is just so awesome and makes our family love it.
So i'm sure there will be pros/cons to both. my daughter will be 12 then and will totally love the rock wall, zip line and surfing. The kids clubs look cool, and to be honest my 8 year old was growing tired of the oceaneers club.
If money weren't an issue, it would be DCL hands down!

I don't get the room size comparison when you comparing prices for value. So what if an inside room is smaller on say Celebrity or RCCL vs DCL. I know that we only use the room to sleep in, or stop at briefly during the day to change. Being that we are a family of 3 it really is not an issue for us, especially since we normally sail 2 to a room. Now I get it if you are trying to fit 4 in a room, that may not be possible on some lines where you can on DCL.

Maybe the calculation should be cost divided by square ft of public space divided by some number that represents the number of fun things to do on the ship divided by etc.....

What I am really saying is don't try to sell us on well if you figure this and this DCL is really not that expensive. Trust me most of us have tracked that yearly as we have looked at our vacations, and over the last 3 years DCL has risen above the others in price.

We all have/had reasons to justify sailing DCL, for us and it sounds like others DCL fell outside of what we felt was a good value for our vacation buck. If it doesn't for others, they will have an awesome vacation on DCL and we will have an awesome vacation on another line:)

I don't get the room size comparison when you comparing prices for value. So what if an inside room is smaller on say Celebrity or RCCL vs DCL. I know that we only use the room to sleep in, or stop at briefly during the day to change. Being that we are a family of 3 it really is not an issue for us, especially since we normally sail 2 to a room. Now I get it if you are trying to fit 4 in a room, that may not be possible on some lines where you can on DCL.

It is the same reason why we are not talking about how much less expensive Carnival is compared to RCCL, value is in the eye of the beholder. If you are fine with a smaller room then you can certainly save money with RCCL vs DCL. If you want a larger room like we do then DCL for the size we want is less expensive. It’s just that simple. There is no right or wrong answer but to say that DCL prices are through the roof and out of control I just do not find to be the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter