Done with DCL

There are a couple of things that can be deceiving about these numbers. First of all, any particular crew member is on board at most half the time, as they work for a multi-month contract, then are home for at least the same period of time before starting the next contract. So, even maiden-voyage crew members will have been on at most half the sailings.

Then there's the issue of passenger counts vs staterooms. The Dream and Fantasy have 1250 passenger cabins, and a passenger capacity of 4000. So, those ships can sail at capacity only if there are an average of 3.2 passengers per cabin. If you have a lot of people traveling as couples on a particular voyage (which may be the case when school is in session in most places), then the vessel can get to the point where every stateroom is booked, yet there are hundreds of people apparently missing from the dining rooms. From the MDR's perspective, all that counts is head count, so they may perceive that a particular sailing is way undersold even if every stateroom is occupied.

I can see this issue potentially becoming more of a problem as time goes on. I suspect that there are a lot of people that would never consider booking a DCL cruise unless they had young children sailing with them, thinking Disney is "only for kids." But, they may go on a sailing anyway, either as grandparents or others on an extended family trip, or as parents who eventually become empty-nesters. At least some of those people will like the experience enough to rebook without kids the next time, often staying just 2 to a room. As more and more of that passenger demographic accumulates over time, it makes it harder and harder for DCL to fill the ships to capacity. One way that could address that from a revenue standpoint would be to raise the fares for the first two passengers per stateroom, and reduce the fares for additional passengers. Families could end up paying about the same, while double-occupancy cabins would pay more.
dinning service teams work six months on and two off, it is never six on six off so no, they do not work half the time. even the shops crew sail mostly with six months contracts and two off then back on. plus most of the staff know each other and tend to talk about 'what went on while I was away'. it is not inconceivable that what the server has said is correct.

i agree with you about your comment about the issue of passenger counts vs staterooms. the thing the server was mentioning is that the sailings have never been that low so regardless of how many cabins were occupied the numbers were, in her opinion, the lowest she had seen. it still lowers the $$ amount Disney collected for that sailing even if all cabins were full and doesn't change the passenger count of 3500.

while you suspect that there are a lot of people that would never consider booking dcl unless they had young children i suspect that there are just as many that would. us for example. last year it was us and our two grown sons and their significant others but no children there either. i see lots of couples who are on board, just the two of them, in fact there's a lot of posts by those people who want to know what its like without children.

i find it all very interesting and i think we can both agree that time will be the deciding factor in all this. i just wonder if they are seeing a down trend already. maybe, maybe not.

while you suspect that there are a lot of people that would never consider booking dcl unless they had young children i suspect that there are just as many that would. us for example. last year it was us and our two grown sons and their significant others but no children there either. i see lots of couples who are on board, just the two of them, in fact there's a lot of posts by those people who want to know what its like without children.

They are separate populations. There will always be a certain number of passengers that are willing to book DCL without kids and have never been on DCL before. My point is that in addition to that, there's another group of passengers that would not do so sight unseen, but will do so going forward once they experience it with kids. This second population is going to tend to increase over time.

i just wonder if they are seeing a down trend already. maybe, maybe not.

The recent changes (e.g. price increases for 2017, adding paid food to the bars, adding paid ice cream and candy to the Dream, and the new alcohol policy announced over the summer) are unlikely to have had much of any effect on the recent Fantasy b2b with low passenger counts being talked about here. As to their effect on 2016/2017 bookings, only time will tell.

DCL is in a somewhat unique position with their pricing: AFAIK, it never goes down after sailings are initially released, and usually goes up. I would imagine that the amount it goes up is dependent on how booking is going for each sailing. They do offer the *GT rates, but only after final payment deadline such that people already booked can't take advantage of them. And, AFAIK, unlike many other lines, DCL doesn't have any "opaque" booking channels, where "cruise liquidators" offer "deep discounts on unsold cabins." With the exception of Disney cast member rates, and the now-scarce Florida resident and military discounts, everyone pays the same rate. So, they don't have as much opportunity to "dump" unsold inventory if they guess wrong about supply and demand and overprice a sailing by too much. Also, I think that DCL is very wise in their pricing model, and have not made the mistake that WDW has made, where they've offered deep discounts in the off-season and run promotions like "dining plan at no extra cost" during certain periods. WDW has trained a certain population of guest to not book an on-site resort except during these discount periods. What initially was planned to be something to put "heads in beds" with the notion that an occupied room at almost any price is better than an empty room has instead turned into something that has eroded the pricing power. Hotels in general did the same thing when Priceline first came out: they sold rooms in many cases at half the price that they normally would charge, under the notion that half-price is better than an empty room, and that with Priceline being opaque, it wouldn't cut into their normal pricing. But, once enough people started using Priceline, a good number of them figured out that they really don't need to pay any more than half price, and that with careful planning, the cost savings is well worth not knowing exactly what property they'll get.

Contrast this with pricing at Disneyland: for example, it's neigh impossible to get a room at the Grand Californian for much less than $400 a night at any time of year, even if it's the off season. They simply don't price the rooms below a certain level, regardless of booking levels. But to fill empty rooms, they offer "extend your stay for $150/night" offers to current guests if they have lots of empty rooms. They can fill up many otherwise-empty rooms at a discount rate instead of leaving them empty, but without ever discounting the price required to book a room. This way, people are not trained to wait until the discount period to book, because there never is any.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter