• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

Happy to report I finished my second half marathon today. I managed to finish almost 10 minutes faster than my first half marathon 3 weeks ago as my knee is feeling much much better.

Augie- Glad to hear you are ok

ZFamily5 - good to hear about being cleared to run again! Hooray!

Quack everyone!

Carolynn: nice job on your half. :thumbsup2
I'm glad the East Coaster made it through Sandy OK, hopefully Karen the electricity will be back sooner than you were told.
Duckling: Yaa on the running again, the sweater run sounds cool.

I did a 14 mile run yesterday and it went good. I wore a pair of compression socks and my feet, calf's & shins didn't have any problem and minimal soreness after the run. My hips are sore though, I think I need to wear a full body compression sock next time. :goodvibes
The 14 miles was the longest run I've done this year, I was glad to get over that 13.1 mile hump. I am still behind on my training for January's marathon. I am supposed to do 20 miles next Saturday. I'm going to try that, but I will have Debbie on speed dial in case she needs to pick me up.
Now that it will be getting dark by the time I leave work we joined a rec center this weekend, so I will be doing my short runs indoors. I will be doing some swimming for cross training which I'm looking forward to.

Have a good week.

Joe

Happy November Ducks! 2 months (or so) until Marathon Weekend! :eek: Time if going to FLY from here on out.

I did my first big back to back this weekend, 9 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. They went great! It feels good to have them under my belt. My next back to back will be Thanksgiving weekend (10 and 20).

Marathon Weekend Ducks~Here's what I have as of now for our ADR's. Let me know if I have anything incorrect, or if anyone else wants to join in!

Turf Club, Sat. Jan 12 at 5:10pm
Colleen and coworker
Joe and Debbie
Augie
Me
(6)

Chef Mickey's, Sun. Jan 13 at 5:05pm
Joe, Debbie, Sister and BIL
Karin, Bryan and Madison
Augie
Me
(9)

The Turf Club ADR is made for 10, so 4 spots remain.
The Chef Mickey's ADR is made for 14, so 5 spots remain.

Joe~Lol, you could wear a Morphsuit...
Northlake Mall is on the opposite side of Charlotte from us, I've never been there. Get some signs into Carolina Place Mall and I'll see them. ;) I bet they look great!

Carolynn~Congrats on your great half!

Duckling~That's great you can run again! Take it slow!
That sweater run looks hilarious! Lol!

Karin & Augie~I'm glad you guys are ok up there!

Jeni~What pace did you and your dh end up doing for your 13 miles?

Renee~Happy taper time! Have a great race this weekend!

Tanya~Your shirt sounds cute! I'll just be wearing my usual running attire, I'm so boring. Lol

Vic~Did you do 21 with your group? I hope your knees are ok!

Hey ducks!!

I thought since I just got power back I would check in with you all and give you an update.
We were without power for 8 days
I was just at the point where I thought I might break! It was cold and stressful but our house made it through without damage.
I can't say the same for some others around here.

liz- We did about a 12:00 and neither of us really liked the pace. Not quite a walk and not quite a run. I think we are going back to the original plan. But now DH wants to extend the first segment to 10 miles instead of 6 miles. Or do a 2-1 mile run/walk ratio instead of 1-1. :sad2: I know he's pushing me like I asked him to...but by the end of this race I may end up pushing him right off that overpass before Epcot! :laughing:

Lady - WooHoo!:cheer2: Glad to hear you're back on!

Duckling - Welcome back to the grind!

Joe~Lol, you could wear a Morphsuit...
2 people had those on for last weeks Wicked Halloween race and one was the skinless version, it was a little disturbing.:(

Karen: I'm glad you got your power back.

I have had a good week so far, yesterday I swan 600 yards (24 laps) and it tired me out. Back in my teenage years I swam twice a day and put numerous yards behind my speedo :eek:. I am going work on building up more laps.
I did 5 miles on the track today, it was my first indoor run in over a year.
It's a different feeling running indoors on a track than outside.

Have a good week.

Joe

For those heading south this weekend:

Enjoy and have a great run!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!
Enjoy the weather

To those down for the W&D, have a great race! Hope your weather is great!

Joe, enjoy the swimming!

Good luck to everyone running this weekend. I hope the weather is great and you have a terrific run.

Good luck to all the Ducks running this weekend. :thumbsup2 Say hello to the Mouse for us!

DH and I just signed up for the Reindeer Run 5K in Baton Rouge on Nov. 30th and the Ole Man River Half Marathon in New Orleans on December 15th. The Reindeer Run should be fun. They are doing a toy drive, tree lighting and fireworks downtown before the run, so we're bringing the kids.

We are in a down week, so we only have to do 10 miles on Sunday. :cheer2: Man, I can't believe 10 miles feels like a break. Happy Trails!

Jeni

Good morning, Ducks!

Good luck to all of our racers this weekend. :cool1:

I think I have finally kicked the sinus infection. Took two weeks, but feeling much better. So, 14 on tap for tomorrow and the Timberlake Half Marathon next Saturday.

Liz - Missed the 21 miler last week as I was feeling poorly. WTG with the back-to-back.

Carolyn - Congrats on completing your second Half! :thumbsup2

Joe - WTG with the swimming. I have an itch to do a triathlon. I've been working out the logistics so I can start training after the marathon.

Karen - Glad your power is back on. You guys continue to be in our thoughts.

Duckling - Welcome back!

Everyone - Keep up with the great training! :thumbsup2

:)

Well, I know I'm not the Ugly Duckling. Or the Only Duckling. But I'm here, where dreams and wishes come true, as a Defiant Dashing Duck. Ready to run the W&D Half! :thumbsup2

Got here on Friday and immediately went to the expo for packet pick up and did some grocery shopping. Checked into BLT, then walked over to the MK. Took a spin on Space Mountain and the People Mover. :cool1: Main Street smelled wonderful! pixiedust: New Fantasyland was open to wak around in, but nothing was especially open (except the shops! :lmao:). Popped down to the hot tub for a while, then had dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe (first time there for me). Pasta, of course.

And I slept well, despite the hellions in the room next to me. Who lets their children screech at the tops of their lungs continually?!? :confused3 Slept in a little bit. Was woken up by the MK train whistle.:) Mickey waffle for breakfast - a runner's true breakfast! ::yes::

I'm gonna hang around the resort today. Maybe go do some shopping on Main Street later. Then off to the race this evening! The weather looks perfect. I have a Sweet Sundays breakfast and cooking demo scheduled at Epcot F&W Festival at 10am on Sunday morning, so I'm not sure what I'm doing about the after party tonight.

For all the Mickey Marathoners-in-Training. Way to go on your long runs and back-to-backs. Simply amazing! :worship: Good luck this weekend - and stay healthy!

I'll report after the race (okay, maybe a day or two after the race). In the meantime, quack on!

Okay, W&D Half is in the books and all went well. Last year I pulled my calf around mile 6, but this year I managed to run injury-free. Not real fast, but injury-free. 2:28 and change.

They didn't have the cool guys on stilts in the middle of the road on the road to and from AK this year. Just some people waving huge butterflies on the side of the road this year. Lame. Maybe someone got knocked over in the past?!?:confused3

Overall, it was lots of fun. I rode Spaceship Earth and Soarin' afterwards. Didn't make it to WS before I crashed and headed back to the resort. I'm sure there will be a fourth W&D Half in my future. ;)

The COOLEST thing happened later in the week. On Monday, I had Lunch with an Imagineer at the HBD in DHS. Nice lunch, good discussion, yada, yada. Flash forward to Friday, four days later. I decide to have a bite at the Main Street Bakery before I fly home (and before Starbucks takes over...:(). And who's having breakfast with colleagues at the Bakery, but the Imagineer from my Monday lunch! I said hello as I passed his table, grabbed some napkins, and sat down on the other side of the room. 10 minutes later, he walks over, pulls out a chair, and proceeds to tell me about how he redesigned the Bakery several years ago when they expanded it. He then asks me if I'd be interested of a tour of the glass blowing shop next door that he also designed when they expanded. 30 minutes later, we're still standing in the Crystal Arts shop discussing wood floors, reclaimed bricks, wallpaper, and photoshopped pictures on the walls. Totally amazing! When he got done, he said, "And now you're one of about 10 people who know the whole back story of this shop!" Way cool! Not as cool as my W&D medal, but cool, nonetheless. ::yes::

Hope all the Ducks have a very blessed Thanksgiving holiday. Run safe and fast! And don't let anyone roast you (you're a duck, remember?!?)! :rotfl2:

Hi Ducks! Happy Thanksgiving! For the first time in years we are not hosting. I am thrilled. It's an exhausting holiday for the host! We'll be at my inlaws who live in South Carolina, just over the state line so only about a 20 min drive from us. Where will all of you be tomorrow?

I was diagnosed with bronchitis this morning so my planned 10/20 back to back this weekend will have to happen next week or the following weekend. We'll see how I feel I guess.

Renee~What a very cool experience you had! That'll be a great Disney memory forever. :goodvibes Congrats on W&D!

Happy Thanksgiving! Ducks and to the Ducks north of the border, Happy Thursday!.

Renee: WTG on the Wine & Dine finish. How cool is that getting an unplanned tour of the glass store. If we are all together at the MK someday, I want you to give us that tour and don't leave anything out.

Liz: pixiedust: for a speedy recovery.

I had a awful long run 2 Saturdays ago. My training schedule called for a 20 run, but that wasn't going to happen. I set out to do 15 miles and if things went OK, try to stretch it out to 17. At mile 10 my thighs seized up and the running slowed down. I kept going and finished with 15 miles, but a couple time I contemplated calling Debbie to pick me up at the park. I made the mistake of swimming the day before after work and I must have worked my legs too much.
I have been doing good with the cross training, 2 days of swimming, a short run with working on speed then some weights and core training and another day running on the track. This is the first time in over a year and a half that I have been doing the cross training and not just running 3 days a week. I think it will help in the long run as soon as I get over the soreness.

Have a great day everyone and enjoy the day.

Joe

Hi Everyone!

Happy late Thanksgiving to everyone! It's been a while since I was able to post since my life has been pretty crazy! Jack and Zoey are doing really well and getting bigger every day, it seems. Big sister Alexa adjusted after a couple of weeks and is now a big help and will try to play with the twins if we aren't too careful...she turns two in a few weeks! My exercise routine has consisted of hour long walks with Alexa and never sitting down while trying to take care of all three kids. Just moved the treadmill to our new home theater room so hopefully I'll be able to stat sneaking some runs in during naps!

Hope everyone is doing really well and enjoying your day of shopping or hanging with your families!

Hey Ducks!!

I am stuffed from a food filled weekend!!

PHILLYPHIL: so happy to hear about the twins!! Everyday is an adventure!!

As for me, I have no races planned or scheduled, I am a mess!! I miss Disney but unless I win the lottery or something I can't get there until possibly next ToT race. I am a little sad at this thought.

Happy holidays to every one of you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter