Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning,

After a week of being a lame duck, I finally sucked it up and got my cortizone shot and z-pack yesterday. I'm finally getting over this cold! :banana: My Doc is a marathoner. When I told him I had the Reindeer Run on Friday and a 12-miler on Sunday (and after he heard me hacking for 15 minutes in the waiting room) he immediately pulled out the script pad and started writing. :laughing:

OK - I am really starting to worry about my mom. She started running this summer and is doing the WDW Half. SO pround of her. She has NEVER exercised in her life. But she's hovering between a 16 and 16:30 pace. :confused3 She is having a hard time breaking into 15. We are both afraid of the sweapers. I signed her up to do a local Half in December with no time limit. That way she will definietly be able to finish at least one Half after her training. She had no qualifying time, so I put a 15:00 pace when I signed her up for WDW. Any ideas about when the bib numbers are coming out? If she's in the last corral, what are odds I can sweat talk her into one or two corrals up at the expo so she has a little cusion?

Hello Ducks!

Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving.
I took full advantage of time off and put in a few days of 3 to 4 miles jogs.
Definitely burned off that Turkey.

Signed up for my 2nd Half This Saturday. Great weather forecast. Less than 500 people so this will be much less chaotic than WDW Half in Jan. :) Looking forward to that. Hoping to get a better time on this event to turn in for Jan. As long as I feel well enough. Got some kind of stomach crud. Drinking plenty of fluids to get rid of it. Crossing fingers.

Hope everyone else is feeling good and have great runs.

TTFN

Happy Thursday Ducks! Gosh, only a couple days left until we are in DECEMBER! :eek: Can't believe it!

I am on the road to recovery from my bronchitis. I finished the z-pack on Sunday (but I guess it stays in my system until tomorrow). I started running again yesterday, did 3 miles. And today did 5 miles. I felt tired during those runs! My running partner is dealing with some stuff, too, so we are both needing to go slow. It makes my confidence level drop when I have to go slow.

I have to figure out when I can do the 10/20 back to back that I postponed from last weekend. I WANT to do them this weekend, but I don't know if I'm up for it. But, if I don't do it this weekend, it may never get done, and I NEED to get it done. I need to do my two planned "big" back to backs in order to feel mentally ready for Goofy. They just feel so daunting right now, even though the 9/18 I did a few weeks ago went great!

I am feeling like this is why Goofy may be my one and only full marathon ever. This training is not easy (mentally more than physically). Training for a half feels like a cake walk now. 10 miles for the longest training run? EASY! Twice that far, ugh!

Joe~I'm sorry that long run didn't go as planned. I hope your next one is better! That's great your crosstraining is going well though!

Phil~
I'm glad things are going well with your three kiddos, albeit chaotic! :) Hang in there, hope you can squeeze some running in!

Karen~I'm sorry you don't have any Disney races planned right now. The good thing is that time flies and I'm sure you'll be planning one before you know it!

Jeni~Get well soon! Yay for antibiotics (sometimes!) Lol!
My memory is awful so I can't remember when we've gotten bib numbers in the past. Perhaps the adrenaline of race day will help your mom with her pace. That's good she's doing a local half first, I think, to get that experience under her belt.

Colleen~I hope you get over your bug asap so you can rock your half this Saturday! Take extra good care of yourself!

Liz: Glad you're feeling better!
I absolutely agree with you about the Goofy being more mental.
I skipped some runs (O.K. a lot of run) just due to the fact I was losing all motivation & it wasn't fun anymore.

My longest so far is 12.5, but I'll do 14 this weekend.

I'm sorry I have posted much.
Hope everyone is well and enjoying the holiday season! :santa:

Good morning guys!

Glad you are feeling better, Liz.

Maddy: I am there too! Blah.

Mickeyfan: Good luck on your race! My last half had only a few hundred people and it was nice. :)

Phil: You sound like your guys are doing really well. Kuddos!

I'm hanging in there, myself. Knee is pretty good. Running these days means cold and windy weather. Blech. THis weekend I have 10miles scheduled on Sat and 6miles on Sunday - it is a pullback weekend for me.

Littlest is sick and I am hoping I don't follow him.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hey folks! So pumped. PR'd at the Reindeer Run 5K tonight!!! 29:44 :banana: mostly pumped because I am still getting over the crud. Woohoo!!!!

Good morning Ducks!

Glad to see everyone is doing well with their training.

Mine, not so well. Was scheduled for 24 yesterday with the Galloway group. Made it just under eleven when my left knee said it had enough. This is the same issue I had with my right knee after the Donald this year, and the only thing I can do is rest it (not something I want to do at this point in time). But, one's got to do what one's got to do. This getting older deal sucks!

Jeni - WTG with the PR. :thumbsup2

Carolynn - Hope your 10 and 6 milers went well.

Karin - Hang in there.

Liz - Glad you're feeling better. Hope you were able to get your training in this weekend.

Colleen - Hope your race went well.

Phil - Glad to hear the young'ins are doing well.

Joe - WTG with the cross training.

Everyone - Keep up the great work!

:cool2:

Hi Ducks!!

Jeni: Nice job on the PR :thumbsup2
Vic: Hopefully the knee will mend quickly.

I did a 19 mile run yesterday, the swimming must be working, because I didn't have any leg pain during and after. My feet on the other hand feel like someone hit them with a stick. Just under 4 hours of pounding the pavement really beat up the feet. I am going to try another long run next week with another pair of shoes and see if that makes a difference.

So what is everyone doing the full plans to fight off hunger? I ate like I normally do before a long run, but by mile 10 I was starving. I ate a Cliff shot bloc that helped a little and had a chewy granola bar at mile 16 but that didn't sit well. Do they have anything other than Gu available during the run or should I stock Debbie up with snacks and hope she finds me on the course?

Have a great week everyone!

Joe

Joe-
As I recall, there are bananas offered around mile 14/15 or so. Then around mile 22 or so, there's chocolate candy, licorice, and sugar stuff. There's probably bananas again, I don't remember. But that's pretty much it.

AK is about mile 13, so I don't even think we'll see spectators there. New course, so no clue. BUT - she could meet you in the parking lot (if they allow it) or somewhere near the McDonald's under the bridge along Osceola. Otherwise she'd have to wait until WWoS, mile 17. We'll have to wait and see where they advise spectators to go when we get the official race program.

You may have to bring your own food!!

Happy Monday Ducks! :)

I did my half marathon Saturday posted time was 3:16

So I kept my usual walking pace. I was hoping I'd do better but having recovered from a stomach bug I figured that was great! At least I feel a whole lot better and I'm not really sore :) Maybe I should be going into full marathon training. Seems like 13 miles could be a walk in the park. But not jumping the gun yet. I think I can improve my time first on the halfs before I think about a full. :)

Happy training everyone. Feeling ready for the Half in Jan!!

Colleen

Oh, I'm also headed to Disney with DH for 4 days next week! At Shades.

Busy 4 days with MVMCP and checking out the New fantasyland, and Blue Man Group show! Our christmas present to each other

I'll let you know how that was.

Oh Ducks I am a happy quacker right now!! I got my 10/20 back to back DONE!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I did 10 yesterday in 2:09:10 and 20 today in 4:16:56. I just wanted to finish the 20 in under 4.5 hours so I am thrilled! I actually got a tiny bit choked up when I finished. It was daunting and I am proud of myself. I can only imagine how it will feel to finish the full! :sad: Lol!

The conditions today were not ones I prefer for running....full sun and warm. It was in the low 70's for the last several miles. Phew! I drank three 16.9oz waters during the run (so not including what I drank before and after). And I must have soaked them all in because I only needed to stop once for the bathroom...and that was actually at the beginning of the run (at 5 miles). If Marathon Weekend turns out to be warmish, I think I will need to carry a water bottle with me. I was taking sips every quarter mile during those last few miles.

Oh and I did my fueling as if I were in WDW. From after dinner last night through my run I only ate what I know I'll have available down there. I had a large bowl of granola cereal this morning before my run (I can bring the granola with me from home) and water. During the run I carried with me and ate two-6 packs of cherry (with caffeine) Clif Shot Bloks and a Luna Bar. Oh and of course the waters. That was apparently enough fuel because my stomach never growled (which is amazing for me!) and my energy was great through to the end. Don't get me wrong, I was tired, but I was "ok". I could have gone longer. Yay!

Karin~I hope your 14 went well!

Carolynn~I hope your runs went well and that you didn't catch your little ones bug!

Jeni~Way to go on your PR! That is awesome!

Vic~I'm really sorry about the knee. Having had lots of injuries myself, I understand your feelings. Keep up that great attitude you have!

Joe~Way to go on your 19! As you read above that's how I handled my fuel for my 20. And that's what I'll do for the full, only have more of it. I'll carry 2 packs of the shot blocks and 2 luna bars. I'll take the bloks at miles 5 and 15 and the bars at miles 10 and 20. (Or so.) I wore my iFitness belt and my Fuel Belt today to hold everything I will carry on race day, and that worked out well. I was comfortable.

Tanya~How are you doing?

Colleen~Way to go on your half! You are right to be proud that you accomplished that while getting over illness!
You're going to have a great trip next week! Oh how I love WDW at Christmas time. That'll be fun to check out Fantasyland. I don't know when I'll get a chance to do that! (No parks for me over marathon weekend, and we don't have our next family trip planned...we may even skip WDW next year! gasp!)

Doing well, Liz. Thanks for asking! Had a great T-giving at Bonnet Creek, but only ran once during that week. Came home and did a mini back to back 6/12. This week I will do 9/18. So, doing well. Maintaining my running and keeping up with the kids. So normally exhausted, ya know? ;)

Just keep swimming....

Duh- forgot to say Awesome job on your 10/20!! You know you can do the full 26 now, right?! Great feeling, isn't it? :)

Tanya thank you! It is a great feeling. Yes I think I can handle Goofy now!
I'm glad your trip was good. Sounds like training is going well for you! I hope your 9/18 is easy peasy! :)

Hello Ducks! Good to hear of all the great training you guys are doing! I hope the knee gets better, Vic. Joe, sounds like swimming is helping you out. I think it helped me with my breathing. And you Goofy People, sounds like you will not have any problems. Me, I have been slacking way off running-wise. The weather just doesn't motivate me to go out and run. I did just get back from a lunch time run, but it has been weeks since I went at lunch. I have been doing races, a 5K Turkey Trot, and a Toy Trot on Sunday, and times are sill there. But I have to increase the mileage a bit! Glad I am still biking and swimming. Renee, congrats on the W&D, and very cool story of the Imagineer! I dined with one a few years ago, but never ran into him again as you did, that was really nice.

Keep up the great work! Five weeks (and a few days) to go!

Augie I know you kick butt with all of you're biking so I'm sure you'll do great at the full even if you don't go super high (over 18) with the training runs.

Wow, you're right, only about 5.5 weeks to go! Holy...! It's coming up so fast now.

Happy Thursday Ducks! December 6th, already!

I took the past two days off from running after my big Monday run, but it's time to get back to it. So I'm doing 5 miles this morning.

:)
The other day, I said to someone, "oh I just have to do an easy 5 and then I'll be done for the day." Their reply was, "5.... miles? Oh my god, that's really far!" It's a walk in the park now, isn't it? :thumbsup2

Yes! It is amazing how my perspective has changed now that my goal distance is 26.2. Last month I realized that 5 miles is my "new 3". 5 seems so short now and 3 is nothing! When I have to do 3 due to not feeling well or not having time for more, it feels like a waste.

This is actually something I've been thinking about. After the full is done will my perspective go back to what it was, or will it be permanently changed? I like how I feel about the distances right now and I don't want to lose that. But I wonder, does one need to keep doing fulls on a regular basis to keep it?

This is actually something I've been thinking about. After the full is done will my perspective go back to what it was, or will it be permanently changed? I like how I feel about the distances right now and I don't want to lose that. But I wonder, does one need to keep doing fulls on a regular basis to keep it?

My quick answer is no. Been there, done that, no need to repeat. But then, I should talk - here I am training again for a marathon. :rotfl:
There's definitely a need to keep up the running upon completion of the race, but there's really no need for the mileage to remain so high. Especially for us injury prone runners. ;) Knee surgery, anyone? (it was hurting me today after 10, and I've got 20 on tap for tomorrow. Yes, I upped it from 9/18)

Last time for myself for post-marathon running, I maintained 5 miles mid week and did about 7 for a LR. Kept that up for 2 weeks until I couldn't handle the hamstring pull anymore. Then I just stopped completely for 2 weeks, and came back to 3/4 miles mid week and 5 for a LR. I pretty much maintain that all the time when not training for a big race anymore.

But everyone's different, you'll have to think about it and do what you feel is right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter