Doing Disney overweight

I am with you there.... had a similar problem at Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN.... I was actually able to squeeze into the ride but it was so painful and embarrassing that the rest of the day just stank! When we started planning our trip to WDW I worried about the same thing, but I found the article on WDW at Large on Allears.net and felt much better about it.

What ride was it? We live about an hour from there, and are planning on going this July. My husband and I are both pooh sized. Glad to know we won't have any problems at Disney!

What ride was it? We live about an hour from there, and are planning on going this July. My husband and I are both pooh sized. Glad to know we won't have any problems at Disney!

The year before last I went on the Legend the first time and last... I barely got in the seat and was so embarrassed I vowed never to ride it again.... last year I avoided it but tried to ride the new Voyage... didn't get embarrassed because I did that thing with the seat belt that I was able to get in faster and didn't have to have a worker help me with the belt... but the seat was sooooooo tight that it pinched me and basically ruined the ride for me. I personally carry a lot of weight in my hips and thats where my problem lies with these rides (seats are only 15"-16" wide and I am more of an 18")

I decided to post because all of the pooh-sized people here seemed to be a lot taller than me! I am a size 22/24, but I am only 5'4". The size isn't quite the same when you are, say, 5'7". Anyway, reading this thread made me feel A LOT better about my trip (which I just returned from a couple weeks ago). I just wanted to share that most of my weight is in my hips, butt and thighs, so I was REALLY worried about the seat sized, seat belts and turnstiles. If you are more top heavy, those things tend (I would think) to be less of a problem. So, for all those pooh-sized people who carry the weight low, like me, don't worry at all!!! I went on pretty much every ride in MK, epcot and a number of rides at Hollywood Studios. While one or two of the rides may have been a wee bit snug, there wasn't one ride that I didn't fit in. Same goes for the turnstiles - I had no problem - not even with the Haunted Mansion (which from other posts, evidently posed a problem for some people). Anyway, don't spend a minute worrying about it - Disney fits us all!!

Thankfully, WDW is very Pooh sized friendly. I know my husband has had trouble at places like Six Flags with fitting into the safety devices there. We have never had any problems at Disney.

I was wondering if someone could pass on a list of rides that would be questionable when riding with a small child, such as sharing a lap bar that would or wouldnt securely keep the little one in? I know I would have my arms on the little one constantly, but just wondering if there were "rides" to be aware of?

Thank you

I was wondering if someone could pass on a list of rides that would be questionable when riding with a small child, such as sharing a lap bar that would or wouldnt securely keep the little one in? I know I would have my arms on the little one constantly, but just wondering if there were "rides" to be aware of?

Thank you

The 2 rides that I know about are BTMRR and Goofy's Barnstormer. I've ridden BTMRR with a chunky 8 yo, and Goofy's with a normal sized 8 yo. I would not have ridden BTMRR with a normal sized 8 yo, and was a little uneasy about it with a chunky child. There was 6" - 8" between the lap bar and the child, but I had my arm around her and she had a bit of her own mass to keep her in the car. I also pushed that lap bar down as far as I could. She cried afterwards, but I think that is because her 6 yo nephew cried too, and that was their 1st big coaster.

You still have to clutch your arms around a child on Goofy's, but you aren't particularly afraid that the child will fly out of the car.

I suspect EE has a lap bar system as well.

If riding with a small child it may be hard to get the bar down for them to be safe on some rides but most are fine. I was nervous on BTMRR and Test Track.

We have been going to WDW since 1992 with my Dsis. I'm 5'6 and she is 5'2 and both of wear anywhere from a 22-28. We have ridden every ride without a problem. We have also taken Dnieces and Dnephew. Ridden the rides with them again without a problem. The lap bar doesn't come down on the kids, but they won't fall out or be in danager on any ride. Some rides, I agree like BTMRR and Goofy you will have to hold on to the little ones or they will slid across, not down the seat.

Don't worry about being "Pooh Sized" at WDW. Now Disney's CA is a different story.

The 2 rides that I know about are BTMRR and Goofy's Barnstormer. I've ridden BTMRR with a chunky 8 yo, and Goofy's with a normal sized 8 yo. I would not have ridden BTMRR with a normal sized 8 yo, and was a little uneasy about it with a chunky child. There was 6" - 8" between the lap bar and the child, but I had my arm around her and she had a bit of her own mass to keep her in the car. I also pushed that lap bar down as far as I could. She cried afterwards, but I think that is because her 6 yo nephew cried too, and that was their 1st big coaster.

You still have to clutch your arms around a child on Goofy's, but you aren't particularly afraid that the child will fly out of the car.

I suspect EE has a lap bar system as well.

EE has individual lap bars. I am Pooh sized and it fit fine even with my white knuckled grip. :) My 11 year old niece was next to me but had her own lap bar (and insisted on flinging her arms in the air instead of clutching it with a white knuckled grip.... :) ).

By the way, Journey to Atlantis at Seaworld is fine too. Shared lap bar though if that makes someone nervous but you don't really feel like you need it too tight anyway.

We have been going to WDW since 1992 with my Dsis. I'm 5'6 and she is 5'2 and both of wear anywhere from a 22-28. We have ridden every ride without a problem. We have also taken Dnieces and Dnephew. Ridden the rides with them again without a problem. The lap bar doesn't come down on the kids, but they won't fall out or be in danager on any ride. Some rides, I agree like BTMRR and Goofy you will have to hold on to the little ones or they will slid across, not down the seat.

Don't worry about being "Pooh Sized" at WDW. Now Disney's CA is a different story.

Is Disney's CA that much different in the size of the rides?

We were there last year and there were a couple of rides that we couldn't go on. I remember there was a "swings" type ride. That was not happening and something else, but I don't recall it now. It is still a great park though. Califorina Screamin' is a great ride. Almost better than EE !!!

Does anyone from this thread know if there is a similar thread focusing on DLR rides more than WDW?

Thank you in advance!!

:thanks: Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!! My mom, sis, and I are traveling together. All three are "Pooh sized" patrons though mom has been eating less hunny lately and is soon to be less than pooh sized. Actually, it's one reason we decided to stay off site. I couldn't bring myself to pay for the deluxe level rooms just to get the queen sized beds we needed (and I didn't want to pay extra for a roll away plus the extra person per room fee :().

The information on these boards is priceless. :disrocks: Thanks again.

Jamie:flower1:

I encourage anyone who is afraid of not fitting on the rides at disney to go to www.allears.net and click on the AT LARGE tab. They have so many wonderful tips/suggestions for people of size. You can even look at pics of the ride seats. It tells if there is a lapbar, shoulder harness, bench seats, etc. I found this website very helpful on my last trip.

One thing I would add is that while I did fit fine on all the rides, I was riding with my little sis who is about 125 pounds. On rides where two people sit together in one seat (like a bench style seat with or without a lap bar) such as Big Thunder Mtn., Splash Mtn., Goofy's barnstormer, etc. I would be careful about who you set next to. If the person you are riding with is also a large person you could have a problem. When the cast member is loading you into the ride vehicle they will ask how many people. If you are concerned you both won't fit together you can just say 1 and you will have a seat to yourself. Just another heads up. Hope that helps someone. :goodvibes

nice to see this post. I am pooh size and recently gained too much weight after and accident which also caused me to stop breast feeding.
The combination of the two has been terrible. In only one week I gained 5lbs.

Thanks for all the support on this thread for everyone.

DW is about the same size as you and had no problem riding everything she wanted to. Just dont wear shorts that are too big for you to the park.:rotfl: That was her only problem.

I am also "pooh" sized and had no problem with anything (but the walking) at Disney.I rode everything with comfort. They really know how to treat people of all sizes. First year we went, 2005, spent first day at AK, and got shin splints, needless to say I rented a EVC the rest of the week. Last Dec. I rented one from the start. But now with the price raise in renting EVC's I'm trying my hardest to take some of this weight off for our trip in Aug. and then even more for our trip in Dec. Then i will have 300$ extra to spend on what I want and not a EVC.

:woohoo:

I went last year as a size 22, and unlike most themparks, I didn't have to squeeze my hiney into any seat or suck in for the lap bar, etc even for the kiddie rides (Dumbo, etc). I rode most every ride with my then 6 year old.

I am also "pooh" sized and had no problem with anything (but the walking) at Disney.I rode everything with comfort. They really know how to treat people of all sizes. First year we went, 2005, spent first day at AK, and got shin splints, needless to say I rented a EVC the rest of the week. Last Dec. I rented one from the start. But now with the price raise in renting EVC's I'm trying my hardest to take some of this weight off for our trip in Aug. and then even more for our trip in Dec. Then i will have 300$ extra to spend on what I want and not a EVC.

Sporting goods stores sell walking and running socks that have extra padding in the heels and under the toes. They also remove moisture from the feet. I've always drudged on without an ECV, but have needed one desperately.

The good socks and good shoes has postponed my misery until day 3 instead of mid-morning on day 1. I've also found that muscle cream helps alot for when you get back to your room.

Good Luck!

How much have the cost of renting a EVC gone up?? I figure we would rent one for my mom from the boardwalk inn (I think that's the name of it) or one of the rental places off site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter