Doing Disney overweight

We have never been to WDW, only DL. I am Pooh plus size. I could fit everything except the teacups. I was Ok with that.

I have a sister that is Pooh size and she had no problem on the airplane, any of the rides or anything else while at Disney. Just make sure you have something comfortable to wear on your feet. :thumbsup2

Another thing Pooh sized disney patrons might want to check out is something called Bodyglide. When ever I go to WDW my inside thighs get rubbed completely raw and usually start to blister something awful! I have used deodrent to help with this...but according to a tip post I was reading BodyGlide is supposed to be fantastic! It is avaible for purchase at drugstore.com. I just looked it up and the price is 8.99. I will be purchasing some of this before my next trip. :dance3:

We are both pooh sized, and had no problems anywhere atWDW. We rode everything, and I have 2 knee replacements!
100_0893.jpg

It sounds to me like you're doing the right things to get yourself ready for the trip. I'm sorry about all your injuries.

My one suggestion is to invest in a good pair of sneakers/walking shoes...for me they can make all the difference.

Since I retired from the Army nine years ago, the weight has piled on. I went from a size 9/10 to an 18 but am now down to a 14. But last year when I went to WDW I was an 18 and my feet killed me. But a huge help is a good pair of shoes. I swear by my Merrel's. Right out of the box they wear like slippers. They aren't very attractive shoes, but you can't beat the support and comfort. And don't be fooled by the look-alikes. Nothing is as comfortable as the real thing.

My last trip to Disney I weighed around 240. The only thing I had a tough time was getting the seatbelts adjusted and on quickly enough on Test Track. The best way to handle seatbelts is to grab it and pull it all the way out before you sit, that way you can buckle it and adjust it without much trouble. The other thing that I second is the bodyglide or some equivalent. Before i knew about chafing gels I got chaffed so badly on my inner thighs that i was in terrible pain for a few days...now i know better. Even though I have lost a bit of weight since my last trip (I am now 180 and still working at it), I still plan on using chaffing gel as I am not taking any chances again.
In any case, you should not have too much trouble. Good luck and have a ball!

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes I'm really glad to see that i'm not the only one that worries about these things!!

I'm a UK size 28 and have only been to WDW once but, i found that i didn't really have a problem on any of the rides that had lap bars but, i have yet to brave the rides that have bars that go over the shoulders.:eek: :eek:
Normally i wouldn't have had any concerns as most of the time i forget that i'm bigger than most - until i had a bad experience at Alton Tower (UK Theme Park) :scared1: They have a ride called Air that tips the seats so that you are lying almost flat and then the roller coaster spins so that whilst you are going round you are lying on your front and then on your back but the rest is the same as a normal, very fast,inverted roller coster.

It looks like a fantastic ride but, unfortunately i didn't get to find this out for myself as the overhead bar was not going to close over me - i was mortified and have since not tried overhead bars. I couldn't bear the thought of having to get off a ride for being too big!!:scared1: :scared1:

I found last year (my first trip to the world) that i didn't even have a problem with the walking as long as i kept to my own pace. We wanted to see all the shows in the parks anyway so the combination of pace with lots of rest stops (disguised as entertainment yippee!) i was fine. I slept like a log though each night and didn't put on a single pound all holiday, even though i didn't watch what i ate (american food is so much different from UK) I really thought that i would balloon on holiday but all the extra exercise seemed to cancel it out.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

After all that rambling :lmao: :lmao: i guess my advice would be to take it at a reasonable pace, do as many shows as possible for the rest stops (they're great anyway) and enjoy yourself. Don't spend time fretting that you're too slow or too big - you're not. Have fun
xx:laughing:

My last trip to Disney I weighed around 240. The only thing I had a tough time was getting the seatbelts adjusted and on quickly enough on Test Track. The best way to handle seatbelts is to grab it and pull it all the way out before you sit, that way you can buckle it and adjust it without much trouble. The other thing that I second is the bodyglide or some equivalent. Before i knew about chafing gels I got chaffed so badly on my inner thighs that i was in terrible pain for a few days...now i know better. Even though I have lost a bit of weight since my last trip (I am now 180 and still working at it), I still plan on using chaffing gel as I am not taking any chances again.
In any case, you should not have too much trouble. Good luck and have a ball!

congrats on your weightloss. Currently I weigh 240 and I want to be 175-180 by the time of our next trip in January. For that to happen I need to lose 6lbs or so each month. How did you lose the weight?

I have bad knees (from years of playing soccer and two pretty sever knee injuries. I did not gain weight until AFTER I had to stop playing due to the knee issues) and I am terrified I won't have the stamina! Recently I started a healthier diet and am exercising a bit (doing a TON of walking on campus) so hopefully that will help.

You can rent scooters at the parks for people who need a little extra umph to get around.

I have a related questions here .. about pooh sized people ( love that one! lol) fitting ok in ecomomy plane seats (32") .... I am a UK size 26/28 (thats US size 24/26) and am starting to have nightmares about fitting ok in these seats .... anyone done this and lived to tell the tale?

I flew in the states in September (not first class) and had no trouble with the seats or seat belts on either of the planes on the first trip. On the return trip one of my seatbelts was not long enough to close. It was very frustrating. I called an attendant and told him and he kindly brought me a seatbelt extender. I have no idea why the seatbelt on one plane out of 4 wasn't large enough as they were all the same make, model & airline. Perhaps it was an older plane?

congrats on your weightloss. Currently I weigh 240 and I want to be 175-180 by the time of our next trip in January. For that to happen I need to lose 6lbs or so each month. How did you lose the weight?

I know you didn't ask me, but I thouoght I would add my two cents. I had to really wach my weight while serving in the Army. My best advice for loosing weight to to increase your exercise slowly and do things you enjoy like maybe walking a little more each day. Also, never deny yourself anything. Never say "I can't eat any more potato chips." Just eat them sparingly and in moderation. Buy them by the snack bags instead of the big bags. It's easier to control your portions that way. Also, start cutting back your meal portions just a little at a time. If you normally eat a foot long sub, cut about 1/4 of it off and save it for a snack later. Drink a large glass of water before each meal. You will not only stay well hydrated, but you will start your meal already pretty full. And please, please, please ... never starve yourself or skip meals. It never works. Your body goes into starvation mode and makes it even harder to loose the pounds, but it's also very unhealthy and you will end up putting all the weight right back on when you start eating normally again. I hope this helps. Just never give up. Take it one pound at a time and know there will be some weeks that you won't loose anything or maybe even put a pound or two back on. Just keep going and you will eventaully meet your goals. Good luck!

Just one thought about safety, though. I don't know how old and what size your children are, but if you should pair up with a small child, the rides with lapbars didn't seem to me to be safe for the small passenger. Although I was glad that I could fit all the rides, I became concerned with my child's safety in rides with lapbars because my legs were much larger than a child's and the lapbar only goes down as far as the top of the largest person's legs. Thank God nothing happened; but I definately didn't do those rides twice, if you know what I mean. :goodvibes

When I has at DL a few years ago on that one coaster in California adventure..Mulholland Madness.They has this round thing that they put on the bar to take away the extra space between the bar and my son.

I was a size 28 on my last trip to disney in 2004 and I didn't have any problems at all on any ride I went on. I rode Splash MTN, Tower of Terror, Big Thunder MTN and many many more. I have not ridden Rocken Rollercoaster, Everest, Space Mtn., Mission Space, or Soarin. I was afraid of RNR because of the shoulder harness and Space MTn because of the small seats. I think I'm going to just let go and go for it in May when we go back. It seems like other people my size are riding these with no problems.

What is a chaffing gel? I've never heard of them. I'm pooh sized and sweat a bunch, Gold bond and Johnson w/corn starch doesn't seem to help I always have to bring a bunch of extra clothes so I don't chaff. We are heading down the first weekend of May and I hope it wouldn't be really hot and humid.

I have read that alot of people are using bodyglide. I have not tried it but have read many posts that see it is great for chaffing. I've also read that you can use roll on deo. for the same purpose.

Bought Bodyglide - will let you all know how it works! :) Oh! I DID try it when I wore a pair of slingback heels that always seem to bother my toes by the middle of the day. I put it on around 6:30 am and I was wishing I could reapply by around 3:00. I bought the regular size (about the size of a stick of deoderant) but I may go buy the mini one to bring into the park for reapplying.

I am currently a size 14, but have been to Disney every size from 14 to 28. I will tell you most of the rides have a tester seat. if you want to check for comfort but do not want to chance having to get off of the ride in front of the crowd, let the CM know you are concerned about should harnesses etc. not fitting. Thye will let you try a seat out away from the crowd.

I rode everyhting in all sizes though; including my favorite Rockin' Rollercoaster.

When ever I go to WDW my inside thighs get rubbed completely raw and usually start to blister something awful! I have used deodrent to help with this...but according to a tip post I was reading BodyGlide is supposed to be fantastic! It is avaible for purchase at drugstore.com. I just looked it up and the price is 8.99. I will be purchasing some of this before my next trip. :dance3:

I couldn't find BodyGlide locally, but what I found was Monistat's Soothing Care chafing relief powder gel. It's sold along with the other Monistat products in the women's care aisle. For guys--other than the location of the item at the store, it is guy friendly. No perfumes or anything like that. So I would recommend it for both Men & Women who are prone to chafing.

You can get a free sample here:
http://www.monistat.com/soothingcare/request_sample_buffer.htm

My sample came with a small trial packet and a $1.00 off coupon. I used the coupon to purchase the full size version, and was ever so glad that I did. I put it on in the morning and it lasted all day long and no chafing what so ever!

I am also glad that I purchased a pair of Beach Crocs on the day of my departure. I only had those and my worn-in sneakers. The first day we didn't even do Disney, we just walked around our complex and then went out to dinner at Universal. Just from that short amount of walking my feet were hurting with the sneakers. I wore my Crocs from then on. My feet were a little sore at the end of the day. (I didn't wear socks with mine.) On the trip home (we drove) I wore my sneakers, and my feet started to hurt terrible just from walking from the hotel room to the car while loading the luggage. If I hadn't worn the Crocs I would have been absolutely miserable the first day we went to the parks, not to mention all the rest of the time there.

Bought Bodyglide - will let you all know how it works! :) Oh! I DID try it when I wore a pair of slingback heels that always seem to bother my toes by the middle of the day. I put it on around 6:30 am and I was wishing I could reapply by around 3:00. I bought the regular size (about the size of a stick of deoderant) but I may go buy the mini one to bring into the park for reapplying.

I've used BodyGlide on my thighs and feet for several years' worth of Disney trips. I haven't had a blister since I bought BodyGlide. You'll love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter