Doing Disney overweight

I also am worried about this. I have not been to Disney for many years and want to go with my grandson in June. Reading this has made me feel a bit better. Do you know anything about Its a Small world?
Thanks

Rode it a couple of weeks ago... DM and Myself sat in the same row of our boat.... I am about 280 and she is about 245... we had no problems

I also am worried about this. I have not been to Disney for many years and want to go with my grandson in June. Reading this has made me feel a bit better. Do you know anything about Its a Small world?
Thanks

I had no problem in any of the boat rides. In fact, I think those may be my favorite rides. I am pretty pooh sized, but had no issues at all. Disney is the only place I don't have to be fearful about getting kicked off a ride due to size. I don't even worry anymore. Have fun!

I haven't seen this question answered. What about the chairs and loungers around the pools at the resorts? Are they able to hold 300 plus pounds?

Hey guys -- I rode Journey into Imagination yesterday, and actually had a little bit of trouble getting in the ride.

Basically, its the same seats as Spaceship Earth...BUT they are higher off the ground...so instead of having the small space at the entrance into the ride vehicle around your legs...its around your gut if your short. I'm 5'6.

So...you can still get in, but you have to make kind of a weird move to get it. I had to manage to get my whole person up on that platform inside the ride vehicle so that I could go over the door instead of through it. That's kind of tough to get yourself all on the inside, if you can't get on the inside. I'm about a size 26.

The opening is about 10" inches I'm guessing.

So...it can be done. I did it. The vehicle is not moving so you have a little time, and the cars are very wide and comfortable once you get in it.

Hey guys -- I rode Journey into Imagination yesterday, and actually had a little bit of trouble getting in the ride.

Basically, its the same seats as Spaceship Earth...BUT they are higher off the ground...so instead of having the small space at the entrance into the ride vehicle around your legs...its around your gut if your short. I'm 5'6.

So...you can still get in, but you have to make kind of a weird move to get it. I had to manage to get my whole person up on that platform inside the ride vehicle so that I could go over the door instead of through it. That's kind of tough to get yourself all on the inside, if you can't get on the inside. I'm about a size 26.

The opening is about 10" inches I'm guessing.

So...it can be done. I did it. The vehicle is not moving so you have a little time, and the cars are very wide and comfortable once you get in it.

Thanks for the info! I've never been on that ride, that sounds weird and awkward. I can't even picture it.

Thanks

Small World is a knee killer for me, it seems to be much more cramped than the other boats in my opinion. But width wise you'll be fine. And there is a turnstile when you're exiting but there is a handicap exit right next to it you can use. :thumbsup2

I am very pooh sized and the only ride I had a problem getting onto was the haunted mansion turn styles. I learned the hard way that they are not "friendly " for pooh sized people. But never fear you can go in through the handicappe enterance, the CM are great and they are very helpful.

I am very pooh sized and the only ride I had a problem getting onto was the haunted mansion turn styles. I learned the hard way that they are not "friendly " for pooh sized people. But never fear you can go in through the handicappe enterance, the CM are great and they are very helpful.

What I find wierd is that I am very Pooh sized too, and I didn't have trouble with any turnstiles. I thought for sure I would. Maybe I am just taller???? I don't know! Odd. I expected to have trouble b/c of what everyone said on the DISboards. I thought maybe I didn't notice the first time we went, so I paid attention this last time. I guess maybe it comes down to where we carry our weight??? Mine is all in my belly and chest. hmmm....

i don't think they are so unfriendly to the plumpy. The thing is that they are so to all regardless of your weight.

I'm going to Disney in October and I'm taking my son for the first time in 20 years. He is 29 and although he has lost 150 lbs, he still has a ways to go. he is 5'8" and now weighs 356 pounds...Will he be able to ride the majority of the rides (if the walking don't kill him)? He has a very big middle. I really want him to have a good time..We are also going to HHN at universal, but I know for sure he can't ride much there. Anyone around that size that can give me insight ,I would appreciate it! :worship:

You are absolutely correct that your son will be able to ride the majority of things at WDW, and very few at Universal.

Rides I would anticipate issues with:
Haunted Mansion - bar won't close with any significant girth around "the middle"
Space Mountain - if he's agile, he might be OK to climb in and out, but the ride vehicles are LOW to the ground, and can be hard to get out of once in. I just don't ride as it's not a good enough ride to deal with the hassle.
Teacups - the spinning plate will hit right at mid-abdomen level, and be very uncomfortable if not impossible to spin.
It's a Small World / Pirates - Not a ton of leg room in these, but they are manageable.

Everything else is pretty much fine. I am shorter than your DS, but close in weight (I weigh less) with almost all of my weight in my belly and rear. I can make pretty much any other ride at WDW work with a little maneuvering accept for the ones above. I would even go so far as to say he might be fine on Space Mountain if he is able to get up and down easily, but I have a bum knee and much prefer Space Mountain at Disneyland anyway so it's just not worth it for me.

Universal is a completely different story. I ride about three things there as motion and movie rides (like Star Tours) make me horribly nauseous, and none of the coasters are designed for anyone of size. I CAN ride Spiderman, Men in Black, Despicable Me, the Simpsons ride and most of the stuff in Suessland, but I pretty much only ride ET and the Cat in the Hat because everything else makes me sick.

I live about 2 miles from Universal and have APs, and I'm a CM @ WDW so let me know if you have any other questions. I'd love to put your fears to rest so that you can focus on having a magical time! :wizard:

Thank you Shauna. You have helped to ease my mind a bit..I hate to hear about the Haunted Mansion...I hope he can squeeze on..what happens if the bar wont close..the ride is moving..I assume they stop it. ..well we won't know unless we try! When we get back, we'll have to post a report.:thumbsup2

Thank you Shauna. You have helped to ease my mind a bit..I hate to hear about the Haunted Mansion...I hope he can squeeze on..what happens if the bar wont close..the ride is moving..I assume they stop it. ..well we won't know unless we try! When we get back, we'll have to post a report.:thumbsup2

Basically, the bar hits mid-belly for me; right at the widest part of my body. If they can't close the ride vehicle, they won't let him ride. Your DS is taller than I am so he might be able to maneuver the bar so it fits under or over the wide part of his body. I was walked the last time I tried to ride, and I honestly don't like the ride well enough to try again. I wish you both luck if that is one you are excited to try!

Do consider at least budgeting for an ECV.

Some of us bigger folks have a lot of trouble with our feet and some of us don't. If your son makes it totally fine at local festivals and a full day of Christmas shopping at the mall...then he may be fine. If he chooses to stay in the car everytime you go to the grocery store...go ahead and order the scooter.

It wouldn't hurt to start a walking regimen now.

PS, over the weekend my niece and nephews asked me what my least favorite word was. They guessed walking and exercise. That irritated me greatly. They didn't understand why I didn't go with them to the fair. They thought I was lazy. They didn't understand that I had already walked and stood for 2 hours at a local festival and that my feet were really red and swollen and hurt very badly.

We always buy new gym shoes for a Disney Trip and start walking on a regular basis at least 3 months ahead of time. We learned one trip how bad blisters can be!
Now we break in the shoes, legs and feet ahead of time!
And no need to join a gym as we use the neighborhood and even a shopping mall to walk!

Love this thread! I feel much more comfortable about our upcoming trip. My husband was worried that he wouldn't fit in a couple rides. I have had it happen at SF and it was embarassing. I CANNOT wait for our first trip to Disney:banana:

Basically, the bar hits mid-belly for me; right at the widest part of my body. If they can't close the ride vehicle, they won't let him ride. Your DS is taller than I am so he might be able to maneuver the bar so it fits under or over the wide part of his body. I was walked the last time I tried to ride, and I honestly don't like the ride well enough to try again. I wish you both luck if that is one you are excited to try!

I just wanted you to know we had a great time at Disney last October. My son was able to ride everything we tried at Disney..including Haunted Mansion..they did have to stop it and push down, but it did close..he rode Space Mountain with no problem..Expedition Everest..he was concerned and did not ride until he tried the test seat..no problem.the bar adjusted to him.
HHN was a different tale..it was hot and he struggled with the heat and just all the standing..he rode Simpsons and MIB, but the bar would not close on Despicable me..it was embarrassing. I felt so bad for him, but he wasn't upset..just me and my sister..i don't know why Universal can't design their rides to fit the larger person..because there are a lot of us!
we are actually planning a trip for December..it will be cooler and I think it will be easier for him..he still weighs about the same, but hopes to get off more weight by then.Thank you again for your help..it really eased my mind. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter