Does your family stay on-site or off-site when you travel to Walt Disney World?

I've done both, I love both...

so basically if we are not using our points we stay offsite. For our dollar we get more value offsite. Now we don't use Disney transportation nor do we do the DDP so those are not perks for us. We also are AP and AAA diamond members so we don't pay for parking, so the only true perk that we even use whether on or off site is EMH.

agree. (and i'm DVC also.)

i don't like the DDP, but do like letting disney do the driving when i'm onsite (even if it is often slower).

but offsite is much less expensive for more space when i trade my non-disney timeshare. onsite is great but i'm willing to make a deal to visit the parks more often...

On site. Our first stay was offsite. I don't like to drive at wdw, so I prefer the convience of letting Disney do the driving.

Onsite only for us.

We've had "Free Dining" our last 5 trips and when you factor that in it's a no brainer. At rack rate there may be a signifcant savings to consider, but with Free Dining the small savings isn't worth considering. As others stated, we would probably vacation elsewhere if we couldn't s get the deal we wanted onsite. We really enjoy everything about the entire onsite experience, a WDW vacation isn't just the parks for us.

Onsite because I refuse to drive. It's just not happening.

I did two off sure stays before I truly learned about Disney.

Stayed offsite the first 4 trips but since 1998 have stayed onsite except for 1 night. We did 1 trip when we stayed 1 night at a Courtyard in LBV before checking into POFQ. We wanted to check out Citywalk and have dinner at Emeril's . It was before we used MDE so we had a car . Since that trip we use MDE and stay onsite. Since it is just the 2 of us the savings for eating and staying offsite aren't big enough to deal with driving, parking and time lost plus the cost of a car However if we spent time at Universal or Seaworld I could see us doing a split trip.

Last edited:
always on-site. My husband took some convincing at first, but after he rode the Magical Express and his travel anxiety, we'll never stay off property. Plus there's a certain magic about staying on-site you'll never feel off-site. It's an experience you're paying for.

Another similar thread is currently active on the budget board:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/havent-been-since-2013-still-worth-it-to-stay-offsite.3400108/

We've stayed both onsite and off. After experiencing several different offsite properties, I can't fathom staying onsite ever again. I can't rationalize paying three times as much for less space and less amenities. The Disney buses hold zero appeal (as does the dining plan) and we hate being trapped on property for our entire vacation. We adore the luxury and tranquility of our offsite resort.

We stay onsite. We've tried off-site but it's not the same. Staying in The World is wonderful!

I have done both and concur. The magic is just totally different when you are immersed in it!

Now, if I were going as an adults only tour - then I'd go off site. But I have a 5yr old and a 6 yr old. I want them to feel like we're *IN* the world!

We've done both too. Our first family trip was offsite, and DH said, "no more". The last 2 have been onsite, as well as our 2017-planned trip. It's a matter of convenience for us--the buses, shipping purchases back to the resort, etc. And we love the theming. Every vacation is different, and we love that.

We've stayed on-site for years but recently tried staying off-site. We were so afraid we were going to lose the magical feeling but we saved so much money and didn't miss the "bubble" at all.

We've stayed off twice. The first time the entire trip was off and we had a rental car. The last time we went we had to split the trip. The first 4 days were at BC then we had to move to the Gaylord for my husbands convention. We didn't have a car and we were at the mercy of the hotel shuttle (which was NOT convenient!) I'm sure with a car I would've been happier. But my vote is still to immerse myself in all things Disney.

Onsite only for us. We enjoy immersing ourselves in the Disney "bubble".
DH stayed onsite for the first time when our oldest was young and made me promise him that we would never stay offsite. His memories from childhood of WDW were very long, hot days with cranky siblings and parents and no breaks, and then needing to drive back to wherever they were staying at night. Even as a kid, he didn't enjoy it

On property! Wouldn't be the same anywhere else. We want to be completely immersed in the Disney experience.

That said, we have stayed off-property ONCE.... Quick trip for my DD's 10th birthday and only because there were 2 other on-property trips that same year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter