Does Universal have any deals that compare to Disney's free dining

^^^A fabulous post with lots of great ideas.

The first year that I owned an AP, I absolutely did make sure to squeeze two full trips out of it. I finished my second trip on literally the very last day before the pass expired. :-D What a great idea for the OP to save on ticket prices.

Eating at the respectable variety of "cheap & quick" dining options both in and out of the parks, and especially at Citywalk, is another great suggestion.

The reality is that if the OP simply wants Universal to recreate exactly the same vacation for exactly the same price, it's just not going to happen. That being said, even Disney may not have the exact same pricing next year. But I do think this thread has contained some wonderful ideas that hopefully LOTS of people can take advantage of in order to make their next vacation more affordable!!

The reality is that if the OP simply wants Universal to recreate exactly the same vacation for exactly the same price, it's just not going to happen. That being said, even Disney may not have the exact same pricing next year. But I do think this thread has contained some wonderful ideas that hopefully LOTS of people can take advantage of in order to make their next vacation more affordable!!
Yup...and if Disney ever decides to end Free Dining in the near future...well...you figure it out. ;)

^^^A fabulous post with lots of great ideas.

The first year that I owned an AP, I absolutely did make sure to squeeze two full trips out of it. I finished my second trip on literally the very last day before the pass expired. :-D What a great idea for the OP to save on ticket prices.

Eating at the respectable variety of "cheap & quick" dining options both in and out of the parks, and especially at Citywalk, is another great suggestion.

exactly..and Disney is possibly going to start tiering park tickets to how busy it is..I think a lot of changes are on the horizon for both parks

I spent ten days in Orlando this July... Yes, I realize this was a poor life choice, but it had to be done. There was a convention and I had to go, so free trip to Orlando for me! Doing Universal cheaply is totally possible - and it puts the classic time-money tradeoff to work. I am a teacher on a budget, and this was a splurge trip for which there was nearly no budget.

I took advantage of my free plane tickets and went a day early and stayed two days longer than I needed to be there, plus I had a friend in town who was happy to join me for evenings in the parks.

For Universal, I'd get Power Passes for everyone and plan on 2 trips for each pass by planning the next just before the pass expires. That knocks all of your park tickets for two trips down to $90 per person - no matter how many days you go, and everyone can make their own decisions about it each day if you want. I went ahead and got the preferred pass because it had no blackout dates and was STILL cheaper than four days in the parks over two visits, plus I got parking and discounts for food and suchnot. If one of you got one of those, that would save $$$ on your food as well, and you might even find the savings enough to justify an on-site hotel like Cabana. With an unlimited-use pass, you do not have to decide which two days you'll go flat-out through the parks. You can decide to go this morning or that afternoon, and relax other times, breaking up the times you're in the park and allowing people some chances to make some decisions.

I stayed at the Country Inn, about a mile and change down the road from the Citywalk, and it was about $60 for the night and included a continental breakfast. There's a shuttle that goes a few times in the morning and a few in the evening, or you can take what's called the I-Drive Trolley, a little-spoken-of transport mode sponsored by the I-Drive chamber of commerce or something, and run by the MEARS mafia. You pay $14 per person for the week and ride as often as you want. It'll actually drop you off fairly close to the entrance of Citywalk, which is the only way to get to Universal. There's some hoofing it, but it's manageable. Littles may have an issue unless you have a stroller. Also, a cab or Uber ride to/from the hotel is cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking each day.

Food on Citywalk is nothing like the Disney situation. You have all sorts of normal, average, run-of-the-mill type places like Panda Express and some Yogurt place that escapes me at the moment and Cowfish Sushi, which I'd consider to be at the upper end of the dining options on Citywalk. You can eat in the parks and it's a little bit more expensive, but I didn't find it to be gougey like Disney's prices. Also: Citywalk food is absolutely nothing to write home about, while I still have dreams of my Le Cellier steak of 2013 and am counting down the days until I can have Baklava in Morocco again. Seriously. Disney food is amazing. You don't go to Universal for the food - you go for the rides, and the fact that it's way less marketed to the littles because so many of the rides have height requirements. You can also score gift cards for the restaurants on Citywalk on Restaurant.com and various other redemption sites. This could be a great way to get some of your meals covered.

And for your transport from the airport? Consider the local public transit, known as Lynx. It goes to International Drive, and connects into the trolley system that can get you to your hotel. I got from the Airport to my hotel near Sea World (Red Roof Inn, then Doubletree by Sea World) in about 40 minutes in a one-seat ride for $2. The bus driver was super-friendly and so were the locals on the bus. Pack your patience, because they only leave every half-hour, but they're cheap. When I told the 300 delegates of the Washington Education Association that they could ditch their $22 shuttle for a $2 one-seat ride to the airport in about the same time, it brought down the house and everyone was clamoring for more information on it.

Frugal is fine, and if Free Dining gets your family the vacation they want with the budget you want, then I get that. Disney relies on that ease to keep capturing your dollars, and Universal is doing its best to be different, which means that it works differently. You WILL end up spending more time trying to save money at Universal, but if your family wants a slightly different vacation, and some variety to it, consider that there are other ways to do it outside the Disney bubble. :) Good luck!!

Thank you so much. This is the the advice that I was looking for!! It looks like we may be able to make this work. Very good to know that the food is not priced like Disney. I will look into the transportation options listed. Now I just wish I knew if disney was going to have free dining in a few more years :)

You're welcome! I'm glad it will help.

A few things:
There are plenty of people who have gotten discounted tickets from a reputable reseller, and turned around to turn them into power passes for a few more dollars, getting them the annual pass benefit for roughly the price of a two-day ticket at gate prices. Check the boards out for that information. I just went straight through Universal because I wanted the payment plan. You will see significant benefit to a family of four by making one of those passes a preferred annual pass. It gets you generous hotel discounts (my discount has already paid the difference in the pass cost, plus my extra hotel nights in July and we're about to head out again), and discounts on food.

For that one annual pass, you might also consider the payment plan. It's available on the Preferred pass, and you pay half up-front, then $17 per month for the rest of the year. For the budget purposes, the first half is this year, and the monthly cost is next year's vacation budget for one set of tickets already taken care of.

Free dining was something that started when Disney needed to drive traffic, and it's very clear to me (and the devout Disney-watchers) that free dining is fewer weeks at fewer hotels each and every year. Expect that they are weaning the public off of it, as they do not need to lure guests to hotels during the slow times as much, and that it will be a thing of the past as soon as Disney can fill their hotels without giving away the food. I'd plan for vacations without it and consider getting it a bonus. Also, look into using a grocery service to deliver things that your family typically buys in the parks like bottled water or granola bars. You'll pay for delivery unless you get a special free-delivery offer or hit a threshold, so maximize the order and you won't feel the pinch as much.

I can't think of the equivalent to the irresistible "Mickey Bar" or Dole Whip at Universal, so go wild with the granola bars and don't feel like you're missing out. They do have a really big Coca-Cola Freestyle Cup that you can buy for $12.00 or so for the day, and get unlimited refills in the parks. You can reactivate it each day for another $6.00, and you can make those stretch by bringing other cups and refilling those with the one. Your potential preferred pass will get you discounts on the cup and reactivation as well. We're bringing ours back for this visit, and reactivating instead of bringing another home.

You're welcome! I'm glad it will help.
I can't think of the equivalent to the irresistible "Mickey Bar" or Dole Whip at Universal, so go wild with the granola bars and don't feel like you're missing out. They do have a really big Coca-Cola Freestyle Cup that you can buy for $12.00 or so for the day, and get unlimited refills in the parks. You can reactivate it each day for another $6.00, and you can make those stretch by bringing other cups and refilling those with the one. Your potential preferred pass will get you discounts on the cup and reactivation as well. We're bringing ours back for this visit, and reactivating instead of bringing another home.

*I'd budget for ice cream at Florean Fortescue's in Diagon Alley. :-) Yummmmmm-o!!!!

*If OP's family are soda drinkers, the Freestyle cup is a great deal. If they tend to stick to water, any quick service food/beverage location with a soda fountain will give you a glass of water (with or without ice) for free. Especially when we're traveling during the summer heat, we make a point to stop at just about every food/beverage kiosk we see to grab glasses of water and drink them as we stroll to the next attraction!

For me, it's the butterbeer ice cream. So, so good. Perhaps I misspoke on the statement you quoted. :D I can't wait for my ice cream this trip. Hubby is going to LOVE that there's a specialty drink for him that's nonalcoholic.

PS: 9 days until we leave. SQUEE!!!!!

As much as I love Freestyle (Diet Vanilla Barqs, yum!) we're going to opt for the smaller regular refillable cups that are good for multiple days.

For me, it's the butterbeer ice cream. So, so good. Perhaps I misspoke on the statement you quoted. :D I can't wait for my ice cream this trip. Hubby is going to LOVE that there's a specialty drink for him that's nonalcoholic.

PS: 9 days until we leave. SQUEE!!!!!
For me it's the earl grey & lavender. Oh, my, yum.

Thank you so much. This is the the advice that I was looking for!! It looks like we may be able to make this work. Very good to know that the food is not priced like Disney. I will look into the transportation options listed. Now I just wish I knew if disney was going to have free dining in a few more years :)

There are other ways to save money at the parks. I didn't realize that's the info you wanted. I thought you were looking for room/ticket deals.

There are some really good meal options. Volcano Nachos at Margaritaville can feed a family of 4 for under $20. Pizza at Louie's can also feed a family of 4 for under $20. Meals at the Bula Bar at RPR are easily splittable. There is a Burger King and Panda Express with lower cost foods. Bring your own breakfasts and you will save a lot there too. The refillable cups at Cabana Bay will save you money as well. I certainly would not buy one per person.

Free water is available at all the Freestyle Coke machines at the park.

If you stay at Cabana Bay, bring along your own blow up floating devices for the lazy river. The attendants will fill them for free.

Can you explain the refillable cups at Cabana Bay? Is it similar to WDW where you pay for the cup for the length of stay and then get refills? or is it some other way. Is it only available at CB, not other resorts?

Can you explain the refillable cups at Cabana Bay? Is it similar to WDW where you pay for the cup for the length of stay and then get refills? or is it some other way. Is it only available at CB, not other resorts?

The refillable cups are similar to the way Disney used to be with a cheaper 1, 2 and 3 day price then length of stay. It is only available at Cabana Bay. The biggest difference with Disney is that you can refill with FreeStyle Machines or Icee's

As far as food goes, 2 meals are disney are enormous as you can substitute a side or dessert for a drink. So with every large entree we would get two desserts or side and dessert at resorts since meal came with refillable mug.

I read nearly everything and either I missed it or that's a new option. Or was an exception.

Also, we find food at Uni to be very generous in portion.

we really enjoy relaxing at the pool hotels. It feels more like a vacation than theme park excursion when we have relaxing days planned

Please stay onsite then. The resorts at Uni are proper resorts.

it appears there are no frugal options like disney's free dining.

Fwiw many see FD as a gimmick. Pay full price for the hotel and they toss in food. Over the years many people have done better by paying for food (especially for those who would not eat the way the dining plan is set up...if you are substituting and bringing home snacks, you don't eat the way the plan is set up) but finding a deal on the hotel. You, and I assume you have compared discounts before booking FD along with really working out the cost of how you would eat if paying directly for it, so far have found it to be frugal. Many others do not see it that way.

When I get off my mobile and on my computer l'll share the Loews link I use to book the hotel. I never go through the UO site.

Drat. Double post.

Well I was coming back anyway! :)

http://uo.loewshotels.com/en/booking/uo?hotel=UEPBH,UEHRH,UERPR

I book through there, room-only, for onsite stays.

I missed when you're planning on going, but if you book through Loews and you check later and there's a better deal, you can change it. You can play around and SEE if there's an AP rate for the time you're going (they generally show up, if they are going to show up, maybe 4 months out?) by putting "APH" into the code field. If you suddenly notice that there is an APH rate for your dates and it would still be a deal even when you upgraded someone to a Power Pass or Preferred (PP if the blockout dates don't impact your trip), you can book it. Then just show the Power/Preferred at some point during your stay.

Be sure to check out the menus thread in the "sticky" thread area here, to see, well, menus. :)

Last edited:
Drat. Double post.

Well I was coming back anyway! :)

http://uo.loewshotels.com/en/booking/uo?hotel=UEPBH,UEHRH,UERPR

I book through there, room-only, for onsite stays.

I missed when you're planning on going, but if you book through Loews and you check later and there's a better deal, you can change it. You can play around and SEE if there's an AP rate for the time you're going (they generally show up, if they are going to show up, maybe 4 months out?) by putting "APH" into the code field. If you suddenly notice that there is an APH rate for your dates and it would still be a deal even when you upgraded someone to a Power Pass or Preferred (PP if the blockout dates don't impact your trip), you can book it. Then just show the Power/Preferred at some point during your stay.

Be sure to check out the menus thread in the "sticky" thread area here, to see, well, menus. :)

I have a question about booking. I have looked at the prices of the rooms and the best deal is for staying 7 nights or longer. But it is a non-refundable booking, otherwise I can book the refundable room for about $10 more per night. Will they give me a better deal on the non-refundable room if I found one or only on the refundable room?

?? I've never seen a nonrefundable room on the Loews website. Are you sure you're not on Orbitz or another booking site?

I'd head straight to the Loews site and see what you can do. I've changed my reservation six times to get the type of room at the price I want, and I always just rebooked it every time. And I've got a standard room with an annual passholder rate, which is now in a sold-out Royal Pacific Resort. :)

Can't you get the tickets from undercover tourist? The 2 day get one free. It makes no sense to get just a 2 day ticket when you can get 3 for the same price. If you use it once, then you can upgrade to AP if you like for what the cost difference is between a 3 day and the AP. I can see not getting hoppers at Disney but these parks are so close to each other. It is NICE to go back and forth as you choose. The base ticket on undercover tourist is buy 2 get 2 days free.

I think Universal is WAY cheaper than Disney. We've stayed at the Holiday Inn at Kirkman which is directly across the street from the parking garage. We walked to the park daily. I have AAA so got 10% food and merchandise. A taxi cost about $100 for round trip to the airport. There are cheaper options than taxis for transportation, though.

Where are you looking? I've never seen anything like that on the Loews site.
Sorry, shouldn't be posting late at night. It's for the Sea World portion of the trip. Not a Lowes hotel. Looking at Residence Inn Orlando at SW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter