• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Universal have any deals that compare to Disney's free dining

Since you're only going to the park for two days, why not just stay a shorter length of time? As you said, there's not as many resort activities at Universal, so stay at Cabana Bay for three nights, go to the park for two days. A car service would be cheaper than renting a car, and then you'd have bus transportation to the parks.

I'm not one to tell people how to spend their vacations, but to me, traveling somewhere to stay for 8 nights and only go to things for two days seems kind of wasteful. You could do a "staycation" at home for the other five days and visit local attractions much cheaper.

10/1/16 to 10/4/16 (in the parks on 10/2 and 10/3)

Two adults, two kids - Cabana Bay room, plus 2 day park-to-park tix: $1272
Car service to and from the airport $120

Leaves you $600 for food/whatever else. Arrive early enough on the first day and you've got the whole day to swim at the resort, go to citywalk, etc.

I'm cheap. I'm not going to spend money on a hotel and food to hang out at the resort. I can do that at home.

Last edited:
We need down days. My son requires a huge amount of sleep and 2 park days back to back is too much. I don't want to go to the parks on arrival or departure days. I realize that we could cut down the number of nights, but we really enjoy relaxing at the pool hotels. It feels more like a vacation than theme park excursion when we have relaxing days planned. I understand that we could spend half the amount of time that we did at disney and spend the same amount, but that is not what I was looking for. I was looking for a deal at Universal that would be similar in price and number of days that we had at disney. It appears that it does not exist.

8 nights @ $70 per night off site $560
Rental car for 8 nights $240
Park to Park tickets (2 days) $770
Food for 8 nights $560
Parking in parks $40
Total $2170
This however still does not give us any express passes, we would also have to be frugal with food and eat some meals in and not have park snacks, would not have extra hours in the park (emh) and would cost us an extra $170.

Stay at a partner hotel with a free shuttle, and that'll save you $280 (rental car and parking). Now it's cheaper than Disney.

Edit: You'll need to take a cab or shuttle from the airport to the hotel, at approximately $100. So, it'll save you $180. Still $10 cheaper than Disney. :-)

You mentioned that you need a day of down time between park days, and that you won't visit the parks on travel days... So consider cutting it to 4 nights? Travel on day 1, parks on day 2, rest on day 3, parks on day 4, travel home on day 5? Still meets your requirements and cuts your hotel budget in half. Cabana Bay has an amazing pool area with the lazy river, so that may be another option if you do 4 nights instead of 8.

Last edited:
Stay at a partner hotel with a free shuttle, and that'll save you $280 (rental car and parking). Now it's cheaper than Disney.

You mentioned that you need a day of down time between park days, and that you won't visit the parks on travel days... So consider cutting it to 4 nights? Travel on day 1, parks on day 2, rest on day 3, parks on day 4, travel home on day 5? Still meets your requirements and cuts your hotel budget in half. Cabana Bay has an amazing pool area with the lazy river, so that may be another option if you do 4 nights instead of 8.

Still would need transportation to and from airport.
Are partner hotels transportation to parks frequent and reliable?
Again I realize that I could cut the number of days and make it close, but we enjoy the longer stay with relaxing days.

Still would need transportation to and from airport.
Are partner hotels transportation to parks frequent and reliable?
Again I realize that I could cut the number of days and make it close, but we enjoy the longer stay with relaxing days.
I just edited my post. :-)

Yes, when we did stay offsite at a partner hotel, the shuttle was very reliable. We had booked a HP package that included some very early mornings (6:00am entry every day, IIRC) and our shuttle was always ready to take us there!!!

Alright, now we are getting somewhere!!! Lose the car rental ($240) and add to hotel ($560) for $800 at Cabana Bay - wash - it gets you close to the action and Early Entry. And it is definitely themed. Read through the Cabana Bay threads about pool activities/parties/movies. Or Snoop's idea of partner hotels works as well.
$40 parking - use toward car transportation from MCO to Cabana Bay. Once onsite, no need to drive or park.
For $667 - 2 day base ticket, plus 2 days free on Undercover Tourist - you will lose the Hogwart Express. I hear you about your son, but with the 4 day ticket, there is no need to commando the parks, but you can use that additional early entry time on four days to see a lot of the park! And save over $100!! Head over on a bus, spend 4-5 hours casually seeing the park (or just spend a couple hours at HP), catch a bus back and sl

That is good to know that partner sites have reliable transportation. I still don't think it is cheaper than disney bc I have not been able to find a shuttle to airport under $120 RT. So not cheaper $10 more. We would also need to go to the grocery store to get food to make us stay within budget so a car might still be needed, although I think there are some services that will do a grocery stop. Not to mention all the work of planning meals and making lunches to keep food budget down.

Many services will indeed do a grocery stop.

At this point, I think we're pretty much splitting hairs. It seems like a similar vacation is indeed possible at Uni for approximately the same cost as your Disney trips. And especially if you do decide to perhaps try Cabana Bay (even if it means shortening the trip by a day or two if necessary to offset the cost), I think you'll be blown away by the theming and the pool/lazy river area, which sounds like it's right up your alley for non-park days.

Many services will indeed do a grocery stop.

At this point, I think we're pretty much splitting hairs. It seems like a similar vacation is indeed possible at Uni for approximately the same cost as your Disney trips. And especially if you do decide to perhaps try Cabana Bay (even if it means shortening the trip by a day or two if necessary to offset the cost), I think you'll be blown away by the theming and the pool/lazy river area, which sounds like it's right up your alley for non-park days.
I agree that Cabana bay theming and pool look pretty neat.
I disagree about similar vacation. Our family rarely eats out so it was really nice to have all meals included for 8 nights. I really enjoyed not having to meal plan and to be able to tell the kids yes to snacks in park. We definitely won't have that option at Universal. It looks like there are ways to keep Universal in our budget, but we will have to shorten our number of vacation days and have less resort time, substitute meals for sack lunches, skip snacks in the park and at resort and I will have to do extra work of grocery shopping and meal planning. To keep in budget we may have to skip Hogwarts Express, which will greatly disappoint the kids. The trade off will be a nicer hotel and amenities. Unfortunately, this is not as important to our family. I don't know if we will be willing to sacrifice all these perks of disney for Universal this year. We may wait a couple years until DD is 11 year old (officially old enough for Hogwarts). Hopefully Universal will offer some better discounts in the future.

I guess I'm of the mindset that if $180 (the difference between 2-day park-to-park tickets and 2-day single park tickets for a family of 4) is going to make or break a vacation (especially for a party of 4....), then perhaps it's not a great time to take that vacation.

I completely understand having to budget for a vacation, but I'm also just sort of flummoxed by the very rigid expectations and the rebuttal of every suggestion (and there have been many good ones in this thread!) that would help to create a vacation at Universal that is still, by my account, quite similar in scope to your Disney trips.

I hope that you will be able to find a solution that fits your needs, whether it be soon or in the distant future.

I am frugal. We have the money to spend an extra $180. The reason we have a nice sized savings is because I try to find good deals. Yes, I understand that we can make sacrifices to keep within budget and do Universal. My original question was if Universal offered any spectacular deals like Disney's free dining. I believe from all the responses the answer is no. I don't want an argument, but I do want the topic to stay open because I was hoping to find a great deal. Again, it appears there are no frugal options like disney's free dining. We will just have to sacrifice those if we decide on Universal.

I know you are not bothered about a fancier hotel but would say that cabana bay is ideally suited to your wish for a resort stay. We spent alot of time in the pools/lazy river, they have the smores toasting around the firepit nightly, movies by the pools. The bowling is on our to do list and is $9 weekdays 12-4. We did a 7 night stay last year and check in Wednesday for 10 nights. A lot of people seem to think Universal is a 1 or 2 day thing but we found plenty to do for the week.

They also have mini golf at citywalk 2 courses easily comparable with disney's. The golf and dine deal is $24 and includes a game of golf, entree (we ate at margaritaville), soft drink tax and tip. The universal dining deal isnt great but worth considering if you want to eat breakfast at the harry potter places $20 gets you a meal with drink plus extra snack and drink.

We have done disney free dining many times our last onsite stay was 2013 at all star movies. Our DD is 9 now and adored Universal mainly due to harry potter. She chose Universal not disney this year.

Link to my 2014 trip report which has lots of budget minded ideas

http://www.disboards.com/threads/sh...october-2014-universal-food-complete.3418576/

Free dining as an option is also becoming less frequent with fewer resort options. I wouldn't always count on it for future vacations.

Free dining as an option is also becoming less frequent with fewer resort options. I wouldn't always count on it for future vacations.
Very true. This is another reason why I am thinking of waiting a couple years to do universal. If we try Universal, we never know if we will be able to get free dining the next year.

Everyone is different but for us, our Disney trips are much longer than our Universal trips. We would be bored with 8 nights at Universal, there's just not as much to do. With that in mind, you may want to consider doing a shorter trip or a split trip where you spend part of your week at Universal and the other half either at Disney or doing other things Orlando has to offer. Also may be a way to keep your costs down. We are satisfied with 3 days/2 nights at Universal usually, but I might recommend 3 nights for a first trip.

Cabana Bay is the cheapest onsite option, but we think Royal Pacific is worth the upgrade. It will also give all of you unlimited express pass for each day of your stay, including your check in and check out days. With express pass, your days in the parks will move faster too, meaning more time to repeat rides, etc.

Everyone is different but for us, our Disney trips are much longer than our Universal trips. We would be bored with 8 nights at Universal, there's just not as much to do. With that in mind, you may want to consider doing a shorter trip or a split trip where you spend part of your week at Universal and the other half either at Disney or doing other things Orlando has to offer. Also may be a way to keep your costs down. We are satisfied with 3 days/2 nights at Universal usually, but I might recommend 3 nights for a first trip.

Cabana Bay is the cheapest onsite option, but we think Royal Pacific is worth the upgrade. It will also give all of you unlimited express pass for each day of your stay, including your check in and check out days. With express pass, your days in the parks will move faster too, meaning more time to repeat rides, etc.

The OP has stated multiple times that they only go to the Disney parks for two days and then spend the rest of the time relaxing at the resort.

The OP has stated multiple times that they only go to the Disney parks for two days and then spend the rest of the time relaxing at the resort.

Ok...Sorry I missed that, but it doesn't make my post any less valid. A 2 day park to park ticket would still save them over an AP and the need for a dining plan would be considerably less, since in-park dining would be out as an option.

It costs us $100 by cab return including tip from the airport to Universal.

I understand about being frugal. However, value is very important. I would much rather spend an extra $200 and have a fabulous vacation than just an average vacation. When you look back, you're not going to remember those couple hundred bucks but you will remember the fabulous resort and the wonderful time you had.

I think it also depends on how you eat. We've gone to Disney during Free Dining and not chosen to do free dining because it would have cost us more! (Since then we need to do a package through them). When we go, there's free dining or a good discount off onsite hotels for Disney. We aren't table service people and three of the five of us aren't big eaters. So we save more with Disney taking the hotel discount since we can easily spend less on food than the average.

For Universal, we stay at Royal Pacific Resort. Whether Disney or Universal, we do split stay to save money, with some on-site and some off-site. We've found RPR at fairly good rates every time we've gone. We were sent a PIN code for our upcoming trip for 35% off. (And later were mailed one for 50% but it had too many limitations on days - making the final cost actually be more than our 35% off).

I spent ten days in Orlando this July... Yes, I realize this was a poor life choice, but it had to be done. There was a convention and I had to go, so free trip to Orlando for me! Doing Universal cheaply is totally possible - and it puts the classic time-money tradeoff to work. I am a teacher on a budget, and this was a splurge trip for which there was nearly no budget.

I took advantage of my free plane tickets and went a day early and stayed two days longer than I needed to be there, plus I had a friend in town who was happy to join me for evenings in the parks.

For Universal, I'd get Power Passes for everyone and plan on 2 trips for each pass by planning the next just before the pass expires. That knocks all of your park tickets for two trips down to $90 per person - no matter how many days you go, and everyone can make their own decisions about it each day if you want. I went ahead and got the preferred pass because it had no blackout dates and was STILL cheaper than four days in the parks over two visits, plus I got parking and discounts for food and suchnot. If one of you got one of those, that would save $$$ on your food as well, and you might even find the savings enough to justify an on-site hotel like Cabana. With an unlimited-use pass, you do not have to decide which two days you'll go flat-out through the parks. You can decide to go this morning or that afternoon, and relax other times, breaking up the times you're in the park and allowing people some chances to make some decisions.

I stayed at three different hotels for the various parts of my trip. For the Universal part at the end, I stayed at the Country Inn, about a mile and change down the road from the Citywalk, and it was about $60 for the night and included a continental breakfast. There's a shuttle that goes a few times in the morning and a few in the evening, or you can take what's called the I-Drive Trolley, a little-spoken-of transport mode sponsored by the I-Drive chamber of commerce or something, and run by the MEARS mafia. You pay $14 per person for the week and ride as often as you want. It'll actually drop you off fairly close to the entrance of Citywalk, which is the only way to get to Universal. There's some hoofing it, but it's manageable. Littles may have an issue unless you have a stroller. Also, a cab or Uber ride to/from the hotel is cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking each day.

Food on Citywalk is nothing like the Disney situation. You have all sorts of normal, average, run-of-the-mill type places like Panda Express and some Yogurt place that escapes me at the moment and Cowfish Sushi, which I'd consider to be at the upper end of the dining options on Citywalk. You can eat in the parks and it's a little bit more expensive, but I didn't find it to be gougey like Disney's prices. Also: Citywalk food is absolutely nothing to write home about, while I still have dreams of my Le Cellier steak of 2013 and am counting down the days until I can have Baklava in Morocco again. Seriously. Disney food is amazing. You don't go to Universal for the food - you go for the rides, and the fact that it's way less marketed to the littles because so many of the rides have height requirements. You can also score gift cards for the restaurants on Citywalk on Restaurant.com and various other redemption sites. This could be a great way to get some of your meals covered.

And for your transport from the airport? Consider the local public transit, known as Lynx. It goes to International Drive, and connects into the trolley system that can get you to your hotel. I got from the Airport to my hotel near Sea World (Red Roof Inn, then Doubletree by Sea World) in about 40 minutes in a one-seat ride for $2. The bus driver was super-friendly and so were the locals on the bus. Pack your patience, because they only leave every half-hour, but they're cheap. When I told the 300 delegates of the Washington Education Association that they could ditch their $22 shuttle for a $2 one-seat ride to the airport in about the same time, it brought down the house and everyone was clamoring for more information on it.

Frugal is fine, and if Free Dining gets your family the vacation they want with the budget you want, then I get that. Disney relies on that ease to keep capturing your dollars, and Universal is doing its best to be different, which means that it works differently. You WILL end up spending more time trying to save money at Universal, but if your family wants a slightly different vacation, and some variety to it, consider that there are other ways to do it outside the Disney bubble. :) Good luck!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter