Does anyone plan on paper anymore?

ammag

DIS Veteran
In the past I've been fine with a notebook but did most of my planning in my head or on the computer but this time around I cannot wrap my head around anything but a big wall size planning grid. I hung papers for each day and I have ADRs and events on sticky notes to move around.

I don't know if it is just me or if other people are very visual and plan this way? Curious!

Every year I do an excel spreadsheet. It's one page with every day listed with an excel "block" for every hour. Then I color code everything from ADR's, Counter Service meals, Fast Pass times, parades, fireworks, etc. I used to carry a copy with me to the parks, but now I just save this file on my phone to view. Works pretty good and it's easy to see everything at a glance and move things around during the planning stages. :-)

I found planning sheetson pinterest, an dprinted those off, plus the menus to correspond with each day - all together in a big binder

I start with a notebook and the park hours up on the computer screen. I love your paper and post it idea! I use post its for packing. I have them stuck to the walls above suitcases reminding me what else needs to go in. They will be stuck to the fridge telling me what to take out for the drive. I'm post it crazy! I also do online planning but still write it all on a trusty note card just incase with ADRs and fp times.

I have a graph paper notebook I use to sketch out the week, including arrival and departure days. I do it in pencil and change to ink once something is finalized. I start with planning parks, then ADRs, etc etc. Eventually I transfer it to excel. Then I usually forget to pack it. So thanks, MDE. I like planning everything in advance to the minute but once I am there I find it is all in the head and I feel much better about being flexible on the go.

I am also a paper planning fan, I have an entire notebook for planning then have my own calendar/schedule that I take with us when we leave that I draw out on graph paper.

I think your paper idea is extremely helpful! I'd do that if there was somewhere I could lol

I still print paper confirmations and such though

I have our itinerary on my iPhone, but I also use an old school method that has never failed me. I have an index card for each day with our ADR's, FP+, and any specific 'to do' items for each park. There have been times when issues arise with phones, so the index cards are my plan B.

Yeah, I plan on paper, but not wall-sized. I don't plan out every hour, just list all the park hours, FP, which parks I plan to go to, and any ADRs. Usually a 8 X 10 sheet, which I rewrite with the final schedule at the end. No Excel for me, but then I do my taxes myself without software also, I use the fill-in forms.

Every year I do an excel spreadsheet. It's one page with every day listed with an excel "block" for every hour. Then I color code everything from ADR's, Counter Service meals, Fast Pass times, parades, fireworks, etc. I used to carry a copy with me to the parks, but now I just save this file on my phone to view. Works pretty good and it's easy to see everything at a glance and move things around during the planning stages. :-)
This is what I did, too, except I used Google calendar as my spreadsheet, but everything is color coded. I did use a notebook too to list rides and possie FPs, then I wrote a list to have beside me on FP+ night so I wouldn't have to go between my spreadsheet and MDE on my screen.

I buy a new notebook for every trip. I like to see everything right in front of me. I also still write down my ADR numbers, just in case of a computer glitch, or in case my phone decides to stop cooperating.

I use what my husband calls my "notebook of crazy" LOL. I do an Excel spreadsheet too, but my favorite way to do it is in your standard college notebook. I also write out ADR confirmation #s, hotel reservation #s, and flight #s. I just like to have everything in one place. I also print out a map of the resort we're staying in to stick in there.

This year I have a Monsters U notebook :) I used it from the moment I got the idea of another WDW trip. I will have room for our trip to DLR in Oct. I use It for everything - from keeping track of flight rates all the way down to packing lists.

DH bought me a binder that zips all the way around and I put any print out and the notebook in it. I also got a pencil bag that goes in the binder where I keep all of my reward/miles etc cards. I started decorating it with stickers of places we've been to.

I am very much a paper and pen person when it comes to planning. I'll type it all up on the computer to send to others who travel with me- but everything still goes into one notebook with all my information from ALL the trips I take in it. It's everything from my flight information, hotel confirmation numbers, fastpass times, ADR times...You never know what could happen (phones dying, apps not working..) so I feel safer having the information available at all times at my fingertips. I'm the same way in everyday life though too. I still use a notebook planner instead of my phone. Just easier for me to visualize and remember everything that way.

hqdefault.jpg

:duck:

Last time we went I pretty much didn't plan beyond which park we were going to and our ADRs. I didn't even really know about FP- and we highly under-utilized it.

Total opposite this time. I've gone from writing it in list form to putting it into a calendar in a monthly view to planning it out with the days broken out by hour to actually using the touring plans subscription I bought. I'm definitely finding it handy with the touring plans site because it is easy to move stuff around and at least get an idea of how changes will affect the day. We aren't going to follow it right down to the minute but at least having the general ideas of when we need to head to shows, FP+ reservations and ADRs will be super helpful. We did way too much criss-crossing of the parks last time and my feet told me that from day 1.

There's a decent chance I'll print out the plans as well, just in case we have phone issues.

Started off with paper and still use paper. DD24 keeps trying to get me to do spread sheet but no. I have my notebook with my plans, then I re plan, make changes until it's finished. The notebook goes with me and even though I have my adr con #printed out and there on my phone, I only trust my notebook!

I start off with paper and make a big grid. Once we finalized our plans as to when we are going where, I put it into my phone and the MDE app.

I just use the basic old windows xp letter template and do a day by day schedule of which park, ADRs with full ressie no in smaller printer, my fastpass+ and extra magic hours. I also record flight info, flight confirm no., seat reserv no., airport shuttle info or where my car is parked at the airport, disney hotel tel number, my travel agent tel no & name plus disney booking number. I print 3 copies: 2 for me to take (1 is with me in my cross body bag every day and 1 as a backup in my suitcase) plus leave the 3rd copy with family at home. Should there be an emergency in a park, eg a false alarm situation that causes the park to be evacuated, or a bus accident, at least my family can tell if I was supposed to even be in that specific park that day so less worries. Since we are now so pre-booked and scheduled . . . sometimes nearly half a year in advance . . . at least I can use that pre-planning to ease any worries family at home may have since I often travel on my own. I just give them the info. While I take my itouch to look at my disney experience app and make any fastpass+ changes on the fly or change up reservations, wi-fi just isn't reliable. I frequently refer to the dog-eared printout of my vacation schedule because it is faster to just grab it out of my bag then fire up the itouch & open up the app. I have also had to show at least one restaurant my full ADR ressie number to prove I had indeed made a reservation. In February, the Disney Dining system only showed a few weeks worth of advanced reservations. They then had to flip through a huge paper master list to find ressies made months before. It saved all of us time for me to have the res number handy.

Momma Bear and I are blessed to have a DDIL who does all of the planning for our trips to the World. She uses an Excel spreadsheet of her own making after we have told her what we would like to do. We stopped doing ADRs after our last trip as they just do not fit the way we like to visit the park so meals are easy. Typically, we split the GrandGirls between parents and grandparents for FP purposes. It makes planning much easier on her.

Her Disney planning skills are not the only reason we love and appreciate her but they sure come in handy when the family travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter