• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does 8 ounces still= 1 cup?

For the most part, I like metric. But not Celsius. At 0C it is cold outside and 38C it is hot? Not a big enough of a range if you ask me.

It's all perspective that you get used to.

In your house in summer, you're cold at 72 and hot at 79.

But i also prefer F.

If your question is about why the huge lettering saying it's "STILL" 2 cups.... it's because some manufacturer's have started decreasing what you get in a bag of cheese (in lieu of raising the price). People grab a bag of cheese hoping to get what they always got, then find out when they get home that they have a little less than 2 cups. I had to make a run to the back of the store at the checkout recently when I realized the brand I was buying did not have the regular 2 cups in it as it always had. I just won't buy those lesser amounts. (Partly because I typically need a full 2 cups, and partly because I think the practice is deceptive).
I now buy the big block and shred it. The company's now hope you don't notice it. More time and energy and waste in gas to go back and get more. At least you can freeze the cheese.

What is funny is that as much as people in US seem to be against metric that is how I first checked the package. I looked at the metric after 8 oz and since it was in grams knew it was weight.

If you melted cheese and had a liter of it, I assume it wouldn't weight 1 kilogram or boil at 100C. (cheese melts at around 40 C, depending on the type of cheese). http://www.chow.com/food-news/347/ill-stop-the-world-and-melt-with-numerous-types-of-cheese/

For the most part, I like metric. But not Celsius. At 0C it is cold outside and 38C it is hot? Not a big enough of a range if you ask me.

I didn't post what you responded to, but it's cool. Things get wonky around here at times.

And then there's "nominal" measurements. I bought a tarp the other day. The packaging said it was a 9'x12' tarp; the packaging also said that was the "nominal" measurement. In reality, it was 8 1/2' x 11 1/2', the rest was taken up by hems. I seriously considering offering to pay a "nominal" price for it.....say $23 instead of $25. Doesn't that sound fair?

Sounds reasonable to me.

If a recipe calls for 2 cups of shredded cheese, when you get your block of cheese (which might be 8 oz in weight in a block), when you shredded it, it doesn't compact down because of the shape of the shredded cheese. 8oz of block cheese will typically yield 2 cups of shredded volume of cheese.

Kind of like how a teaspoon of coarse ground salt on your veggies tastes WAY different than a teaspoon of restaurant ground salt.

It's a marketing thing. Which looks more attractive at first glance?

Pork chops: $3.99/lb or Pork chops:$8.80/kg

Local red apples $1.49/lb or Local red apples $3.28/kg

Sirloin tip steak $5.99/lb or Sirloin tip steak $$13.21/kg?

In the store shelves these items are priced per kg. Produce is weighed in kg.

But it is true that you can still find local strawberries sold in pint and quart baskets. Or bags of potatoes that show both pounds and kilos.

The makes perfect sense. I haven't been in a grocery store in Canada in 3 years, but that store had both Seeing both, or actually pounds and ounces given the largest font in the Canadian ads is interesting.

There is nothing MORE confusing than the metric system. Which is why the meat and produce departments of Canadian grocery stores still list prices both ways 39 years after they converted to metric. They are on the second generation of Canadians who grew up with metrics and they still do both.

If you're confused by the metric system, then you've really got problems. Metric is so much easier than fractions and ounces/pounds/gallons. Heck if we'd at least switch to decimal inches I'd be happy.

The only time I dislike the metric system is with temperature, Celsius never seems as accurate because no one says "it's 26.67 degrees C", they just say "It's 26 degrees C", which can mean it's anywhere from 78 to 80-ish depending on if you're rounding up or down.

A "cup" is a measure of volume equal to 8 oz of water. The cheese you have isn't a liquid, and the solid density is probably less than water anyways. That package says "NET WT. 8 OZ".

The only time I dislike the metric system is with temperature, Celsius never seems as accurate because no one says "it's 26.67 degrees C", they just say "It's 26 degrees C", which can mean it's anywhere from 78 to 80-ish depending on if you're rounding up or down.
And in everyday conversation, do you remark that it is 78.38 degrees outside? I don't ever remember quibbling over whether it was 78 or 80 degrees. Outside of scientific situations, of course. But in a scientific situation you would be using Celsius. Or Kelvin. And decimals.

There is nothing MORE confusing than the metric system. Which is why the meat and produce departments of Canadian grocery stores still list prices both ways 39 years after they converted to metric. They are on the second generation of Canadians who grew up with metrics and they still do both.

Try doing just about any scientific calculation in any system other than metric. How about determining the wavelength of a given radio frequency? How many inches does light travel in a second? Now, how many centimeters?
Hint . . . Speed of light = 300,000,000 meters per second or 186,000 miles per second.

Try doing just about any scientific calculation in any system other than metric. How about determining the wavelength of a given radio frequency? How many inches does light travel in a second? Now, how many centimeters?
Hint . . . Speed of light = 300,000,000 meters per second or 186,000 miles per second.

Can't say in 58 years I have had to do any of those calculations. :)

If you're confused by the metric system, then you've really got problems. Metric is so much easier than fractions and ounces/pounds/gallons. Heck if we'd at least switch to decimal inches I'd be happy.

Yes, Fahrenheit is a scale that better describes temperature differences in a manner people can relate to. I did use metric measurements in a wine blending class I took in June. But they had charts set up so we didn't have to do any math because as the winemaker put it, "nobody understands the metric system". I had forgotten about that comment until just now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter