Does 8 ounces still= 1 cup?

If your question is about why the huge lettering saying it's "STILL" 2 cups.... it's because some manufacturer's have started decreasing what you get in a bag of cheese (in lieu of raising the price). People grab a bag of cheese hoping to get what they always got, then find out when they get home that they have a little less than 2 cups. I had to make a run to the back of the store at the checkout recently when I realized the brand I was buying did not have the regular 2 cups in it as it always had. I just won't buy those lesser amounts. (Partly because I typically need a full 2 cups, and partly because I think the practice is deceptive).

Don't confuse fluid ounces (volume) with ounces (weight).

8 fl. oz= 1 cup.

8 oz= 1/2 lb.
this

also when measuring flour , you always use a cup with exact measure and skim off excess with knife-don't use a glass measure cup

this

also when measuring flour , you always use a cup with exact measure and skim off excess with knife-don't use a glass measure cup

And use a spoon (or something like that) to fill the cup (rather than scooping up the flour directly with the measuring cup). This prevents the flour from being packed too densely (and, thus, being more than you actually want).

Not everything that weighs 8 ounces will fill one cup. The 8 ounce equals one cup applies to FLUID ounces....things like milk and water. A cup of flour does NOT weigh 8 ounces. :-)

You can thank the FDA. They require most food be labeled by weight, even though it is measured by volume in recipes. Are you supposed to pack cheese like you do brown sugar??? The answer is YES! Who measures cheese anyway!!
British recipes (and I'd assume most or all European-source recipes) go by weight. It's a much more reliable approach, particularly for baking.

View attachment 120683 if that is still true, could someone explain this package of cheese I bought? Look at the note on the package and then look at the weight:confused3

:confused3 An 8 oz. package of shredded cheese has always said it contains two cups, as far as I remember.

Like others have mentioned, a cup of volume does not equal 8 oz. of weight. A cup of molten lead weighs much more than a cup of corn flakes.

Weight is weight. A pound of water weighs exactly the same as a pound of cheese.

But the volume (fluid ounces or cups) of a pound of water is certainly not the same as the volume of a pound of cheese.

This is why I like the metric system. Much less confusing when you're dealing with grams and mililiters instead of ounces and fluid ounces.

The US was supposed to be fully metric by 1980 or so. We were learning it in elementary school and junior high. I've since forgotten most of the conversions.

I always thought a pound of rocks weighed more than a pound of feathers. ;)

Here's one: Which has more calories, a bowl of regular corn flakes or a bowl of Sugar Frosted Flakes?

Or more specifically, 3 oz of regular corn flakes vs. 3 oz of Sugar Frosted Flakes?

This is why I like the metric system. Much less confusing when you're dealing with grams and mililiters instead of ounces and fluid ounces.

There is nothing MORE confusing than the metric system. Which is why the meat and produce departments of Canadian grocery stores still list prices both ways 39 years after they converted to metric. They are on the second generation of Canadians who grew up with metrics and they still do both.

There is nothing MORE confusing than the metric system. Which is why the meat and produce departments of Canadian grocery stores still list prices both ways 39 years after they converted to metric. They are on the second generation of Canadians who grew up with metrics and they still do both.

They don't around here (Ontario). The only measures and costs are in grams/kilograms.

With all due respect, here is the ad for Safeway in Ottawa. Same thing, pounds are used. Postal code K1H 7J3 which is where my Aunt and Uncle live.

http://www.safeway.ca/sixframeset.asp?page=specials&postalcode=KIH+7JZ&submit.x=83&submit.y=20

When you said "meat and produce departments", I assumed that you meant the actual departments (i.e. in the store). The stores I shop at only show metric. Some flyers (possibly many) do show both.

However, that still doesn't suggest that the metric system is more confusing that the imperial system (as per your post - "There is nothing MORE confusing than the metric system"). The imperial system, in and of itself, leads to confusion (e.g. oz. being both a volume and weight measure). The metric system does not.

The metric system is far superior, it just takes a lot to get used to when you have grown up with an entirely different system that permeates almost every aspect of your life.
1 mile = 1760 yards - 1 yard = 3 feet - 1 foot = 12 inches - Inches are broken down to x/4's, x/8's, x/16's or x/32's depending on the precision needed
vs
1 kilometer = 1000 meters - 1 meter = 100 centimeters or 1000 millimeters

It's a no-brainer. Even conversions make perfect sense:

1 liter of water weighs 1 kilogram and takes up 1000 cubic centimeters (So 1 ml = 1 cc)....and it boils at 100 C and freezes at 0 C.

Then you have Gallons, Quarts, Pints, Cups, Tbsp, tsp .........

Having said that, there's not a chance that I'd want to switch over here in the USA - I just wish the switched had occurred a generation or two before mine. ;)

When you said "meat and produce departments", I assumed that you meant the actual departments (i.e. in the store). The stores I shop at only show metric. Some flyers (possibly many) do show both.

However, that still doesn't suggest that the metric system is more confusing that the imperial system (as per your post - "There is nothing MORE confusing than the metric system"). The imperial system, in and of itself, leads to confusion (e.g. oz. being both a volume and weight measure). The metric system does not.

Certainly is my opinion, although I heard that from my family in Canada too. But given that it has been nearly 40 years since the switch, it is odd that one of the biggest grocery chains in Canada still puts the price per pound larger, and the price per kg almost as a footnote.

1 liter of water weighs 1 kilogram and takes up 1000 cubic centimeters (So 1 ml = 1 cc)....and it boils at 100 C and freezes at 0 C.

If you melted cheese and had a liter of it, I assume it wouldn't weight 1 kilogram or boil at 100C. (cheese melts at around 40 C, depending on the type of cheese). http://www.chow.com/food-news/347/ill-stop-the-world-and-melt-with-numerous-types-of-cheese/

For the most part, I like metric. But not Celsius. At 0C it is cold outside and 38C it is hot? Not a big enough of a range if you ask me.

Certainly is my opinion, although I heard that from my family in Canada too. But given that it has been nearly 40 years since the switch, it is odd that one of the biggest grocery chains in Canada still puts the price per pound larger, and the price per kg almost as a footnote.

It's a marketing thing. Which looks more attractive at first glance?

Pork chops: $3.99/lb or Pork chops:$8.80/kg

Local red apples $1.49/lb or Local red apples $3.28/kg

Sirloin tip steak $5.99/lb or Sirloin tip steak $$13.21/kg?

In the store shelves these items are priced per kg. Produce is weighed in kg.

But it is true that you can still find local strawberries sold in pint and quart baskets. Or bags of potatoes that show both pounds and kilos.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter