Do you use the busses or drive?

We found out Sunday night that if there is a VERY long line for the boat to MK, just get on the Contemporary/WL boat. We got on the first boat, whereas we would have been on boat #2 for the MK. We went to Contemporary first, then walked to MK.

Much easier.

This is in the evenings. In the morning, the launch may go to WL first.

I agree, the boat to the Contemporary is much faster than the MK boat. :)

No, DD is on a different lake, so there are no boats that go from FW to DD.

And the "Beach" resorts (Beach Club/Yacht Club, Boardwalk) are all on another lake!! So, their boats do not go to FW or DD either!

There are 3 lakes. Each lake has it's own resorts, with it's own boat system.

I have stayed at Fort Wilderness in the past. Never thought I would stay anywhere else again. But I am far away in Canada and travelling alone with my daughter. Therefore I have chosen to fly and stay at POR. Now here is my question... How can I get to my favorite campground on earth from POR quickest? I am thinking bus to MK, boat to Fort. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Hoping to use Disney transport exclusively. I cannot leave without at least a quick visit!!! I have no idea how I am going to stand being in a hotel room after always travelling in my pop up.:confused:

TIA

I have stayed at Fort Wilderness in the past. Never thought I would stay anywhere else again. But I am far away in Canada and travelling alone with my daughter. Therefore I have chosen to fly and stay at POR. Now here is my question... How can I get to my favorite campground on earth from POR quickest? I am thinking bus to MK, boat to Fort. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Hoping to use Disney transport exclusively. I cannot leave without at least a quick visit!!! I have no idea how I am going to stand being in a hotel room after always travelling in my pop up.:confused:

TIA

You got it right!! Plan an afternoon break from the MK at the Fort!! Just take the boat over from the MK, have lunch or an early dinner at Trails End, go to the movie/singalong, and if MK is still open reverse the process!!

Thanks for the reply, Carol. I have to tell you I love your trailer! Perhaps when the kids are gone. Looks like it is perfect tor 2.

12 days:cheer2:

If you drive your own vehicle while staying at FW----

1) where is your vehicle parked while you're staying at FW and how do you get to it? Doesn't that in itself take awhile?

2) how much does it cost to park at the parks and the resorts if you drive yourself?

If you drive your own vehicle while staying at FW----

1) where is your vehicle parked while you're staying at FW and how do you get to it? Doesn't that in itself take awhile?

2) how much does it cost to park at the parks and the resorts if you drive yourself?

You can park 1 vehicle on your site, resort guests park free.

You'll get a parking pass at check in. Keep it in your car and show this at the entrance booths to the parks and you don't have to pay.

You're allowed to park one car on your site or at your cabin. You'll need your KTTW card to open the gate and drive back into FW when you return, so keep it handy. :)

We had no complaints about any of the transportation methods found at WDW which included buses, monorails, boats and our own two feet.

The buses were not crowded at all and very often we were the only ones on it {end of January camping might have had something to do with it}. We threw caution to the wind and our car keys in the pop-up and didn't start the car until it was time to go home.

That's what we do every trip. It's just more relaxing to not have to worry about driving to the parks. Just plan for the extra time needed and go for it. Even when they are crowded, it's never been that awful.

I will amend this to say that the only time we drove ourselves was to MK 1 time and that was because we had very-early Cinderella Breakfast reservations and even the CM that checked us in suggested we should drive since the Disney transportation likely wouldn't start up or get us there in time.

Other than that, we let Disney do the driving. Once we got the hang of it, we even turned it into a 'ride'. From EPCOT we took the monorail to the TTC, then the ferry to MK and a boat back to FW. Had a great time and good conversations with lots of people.

The boat starts running to the Contemporary at 6:45 AM then you can walk to the MK from there if you have early b/fast ADR's.

Just be aware that the walk from the dock at the Contemporary to the turnstiles at the MK is a 3,600 foot walk (that's twice as far as from the turnstiles to Space Mountain!). Add 1,200 feet to walk from the Settlement Depot to the FW Dock, and 1,300 feet from the turnstiles to CRT and you are talking some serious walking to start your day! Just allow time and energy for it.

Ok, it has been many years since I have been to the Contemporary ( we stayed there when it first opened in 1971 (or was it 1972?) anyway - can't you take the boat from FW to Contemporary and then hop the monorail to MK or Epcot? Or am I totally out of the loop now?
21 days and counting to first FW stay - can't wait!!!!!

Yes you can take the boat from FW to the Contemporary then take the Monorail to the Epcot or MK but if you are are going to the MK from FW take the boat it is much faster. We always take Disney transportation because I am on holiday let someone else drive.

Just be aware that the walk from the dock at the Contemporary to the turnstiles at the MK is a 3,600 foot walk (that's twice as far as from the turnstiles to Space Mountain!). Add 1,200 feet to walk from the Settlement Depot to the FW Dock, and 1,300 feet from the turnstiles to CRT and you are talking some serious walking to start your day! Just allow time and energy for it.
My gosh how do you know that? LOL

Don't foget the 20 feet or so if you have to make a side trip to stall #2
:rotfl:

At first we thought we'd take Disney transportation BUT we also thought we couldn't have our tow vehicle at our site! Such noobs we are. LOL
now I think we've decided that with previous experience at how LONG it takes using internal buses, then the buses to the parks just VISITING FW that except for MK we're gonna drive and get there faster.

Haven't you heard, I'm the numbers guy! I measured all these distances in Google Earth.

can't you take the boat from FW to Contemporary and then hop the monorail to MK or Epcot?

You can, and we've done it lots, but it's not the quickest way to MK. Just the walk from the Contemporary boat dock to the monorail is a hike in itself (which I always forget until the first time we do it each trip)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter