Do you use the busses or drive?

This is sort of like the "thread that never ends", lol! I may have posted in this thread already, I am not sure. Anyways...

When we were at Fort Wildernes in October 2008 (already a long time ago...:sad1: ), we used all the transportation options. Taking the boat from Fort Wilderness to Magic Kingdom is a requirement - just too cool not to do it.

During our stay, crowds were not bad. Buses within Fort Wilderness were rarely if ever "crowded". Related to this... we didn't rush to get going in the mornings, I think on numerous days we showed up after the crowd had already rushed out of FW to the various parks. We ended up having some neat conversations with other people on the buses. A couple times when waiting for a awhile at the Settlement for the correct color bus, I asked the driver of a different bus about where "our" bus was, and Voila! He just reached over and changed his bus to the color we needed!

Buses to other parks and to Downtown Disney did take a little while, but maybe because this was all new to us we really didn't notice. Also, as someone else posted, the drivers were all great. One driver in particular insisted that we see the Stunt Show at Disney Studios, and I am thankful for that as it was a great show.

It took my wife a couple times to realize what was happening, but she finally asked why it seemed we were going the "long way" a couple times... I was intentionally "making" us have to take the Monorail! A note about that... when you take the boat from Fort Wilderness to the Contemporary in order to take the monrail, it is a longer walk than I thought from the dock to the monorail station.

We also drove to and from Pop Century, where we hung out with relatives a few times watching TV, and to Typhoon Lagoon. Really no problems driving around, once we figured out our routes... as previously mentioned, the layout of the roads is sometimes rather odd. As to parking anywhere in Disney World, no problems -- just keep your Fort Wilderness vehicle pass on your dashboard and keep your park pass / ID card thingys with you.

So, after writing all that... the transportation system is very, very good. Disney WILL get you to where you want to go. You may have to wait a few minutes -- but if the wait seems too long, ASK!! You may be in the wrong spot to wait, and/or a Disney person will see that you are helped out.

I think after we (hopefully) go a few more times, the "newness" of the transportation system will wear out, and we will drive more. But for now, it is all part of the experience.

When at the fort i am not doing any driving. Except for the golf cart. I only bring my golf cart and no car. If i wanna go anywhere I let Disney do the driving. People you are on vacation, if you are in that big of a hurry, then stay home. It will leave more availability for the rest of us that just want to relax and enjoy the fort.

We consider the transportation to be part of the nightly rate...get the most out of your $$...why use your gas?

If this thread really is going to be around forever, could the OP please fix the title... the plural of bus is buses, not busses (which is a real word, ala fuse busses). Ugh, this has been driving me nuts for months! I know, I'm sad. Oddly, I feel better having vented.

Actually now both are correct.

bus1   /bʌs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [buhs] Show IPA noun, plural bus⋅es, bus⋅ses, verb, bused or bussed, bus⋅ing or bus⋅sing.

The Disney Bus in question?

DisneyBus2.jpg

We always have a car at the Fort, and we usually drive to the parks. Occasionally we'll take the buses, and they're usually great. Sometimes it's standing room only, and sometimes you might have to wait awhile, but if the timing gods are smiling on you, the bus is sometimes faster than driving, parking and getting to the entrance. All of that said, we like to get to the parks for rope drop and I prefer to drive - more certainty that we'll be there when we want to be.

Actually now both are correct.

bus1   /bʌs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [buhs] Show IPA noun, plural bus⋅es, bus⋅ses, verb, bused or bussed, bus⋅ing or bus⋅sing.
And THIS is why little kids are more confused in school these days.
(and Judge Judy was right the other day when she mentioned how they keep updating and changing the dictionary)
:lmao:

I think I asked somewhere- maybe this thread? In any case I can't find it... so I'll ask again.

Is it HARD to find your way from FW to all the parks and BB (excuding MK which we'll use the boat)? We'd rather drive- and it's not about being in a hurry.. it's about we'd rather use that bus time sleeping in, having a nice breakfast in our TT, and getting there when we want to- not depending on luck (because we usually have bad luck) on how long it will take to get there. That's just less stressful for us and it can't be using NEAR as much gas as if we were home driving to work/etc. :) But I'm not fond of the idea of getting lost and driving around forever trying to find the right way to get to the park we want to...

They will give you a map of the world and there are lots of signs, so getting around is pretty easy.

I agree they do give you a map. Use it, learn it back and forth. We also use GPS. We bookmark all the destinations before we leave home. That way we let it guide us. It has taken us a few different ways that was a bit quicker. The signs heard you like cattle so everyone will go the same way. Sometimes out of your way a bit but still way faster than the buses.

There are signs everywhere and it is easy to find your destination just using them. The one instance I can think of where you don't want to follow the signs is FW to DtD and back. For some reason Disney wants to direct you through the MK toll gates. Instead, when leaving FW take a left and take the first right (Bonnet Creek), DtD will be on your right in a couple miles.

Only possible way to get lost is if you have a condition that prohibits you from being able to read enormous purple & red signs! :rotfl2:

Worst case if you miss an exit you may need to go around the long way, but the signs will always get you there.

Definitely take Shan-man's suggestion about DTD-FW, though. Much quicker and more direct. :thumbsup2

There are signs everywhere and it is easy to find your destination just using them. The one instance I can think of where you don't want to follow the signs is FW to DtD and back. For some reason Disney wants to direct you through the MK toll gates. Instead, when leaving FW take a left and take the first right (Bonnet Creek), DtD will be on your right in a couple miles.
Do you have to pay the toll? is that why they want you to go that way?
Maknig a note about how to get to DTD- we are planning on going there atleast one day/evening if not more. Thanks!

Not if you have already checked in and have a parking pass... or if you are about to check in you just tell them where you're going and they wave you through.

Bus. Boat. Monorail. Not in that order, but often more than one.

I am on vacation. I'm not driving, I'm not dealing with someone else driving and trying to park, I'm not dealing with turn here or turn there. I'm on vacation. Someone else can drive and I am more than happy to plan for a little extra travel time if needed!

For us, no car for the bulk of the trip, no GC, in 7 days we had one truly bad bus experience and I can't see how that was a Fort issue. One day it took 40 minutes for an AK bus to show up. While the one day we had a car there were some nice things about it, in a way there was way more work (for me) I thought. I can't think of a single instance, during Presidents week where the parks were PACKED that I was in a standing room situation.

I can however vividly recall that kind of crammed bus from my one day at ASM.

Personally, I had zero issues with getting to resorts. But we planned our resort dinner reservations in ways that made it easy. Boma after AK, Poly after MK, etc. Spa services at MK resorts which were a boat or 2 away. I suppose it would depend on the resort you are trying to get to but really, if planned right, all would be pretty simple I think :)

I am on vacation. I'm not driving, I'm not dealing with someone else driving and trying to park, I'm not dealing with turn here or turn there. I'm on vacation. Someone else can drive and I am more than happy to plan for a little extra travel time if needed!

I'm right with ya on that!!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter