Do you use the busses or drive?

ILoveMickeyandMinnie

Mouseketeer
My family is growing and I think our our next trip to WDW we will probably be looking at staying in the cabins. :) My only concern is getting to the parks, I keep hearing that the busses are awful at FW and I don't want to spend forever on the busses. Would it just be easier to drive yourself to the park than wait on the busses? We've always enjoyed the busses during all of our previous trips, I'm just worried about time.

The boat to the Magic Kingdom is convenient. To get to the other parks depends on getting to the bus stop at the right time, if its convenient or not. If going to another resort DEFINITELY DRIVE YOURSELF, if its not on the boat transportation. WE find we save alot of time driving ourselves.

I never really had any complaints about the buses, every once in a while we would get to the stop just as the bus we wanted was leaving, and then you would have to wait for a while. But usually, it wasn't bad at all. Bedsides, DS loved the bus. If you are going to other resorts, then drive, they take longer. But park buses weren't bad.

never been on a disney bus, thank the lord

I personally don't have any problems with the busses. You just need to factor into your schedule that it can take as long as 45-60 minutes to get where you need to go. That is, if you're going to a park, DTD, or another resort. To get around inside FtW, count on 10-15 minutes.

Speaking of busses, when we were "freeloading" at FtW yesterday, we saw a hybrid bus. It was sponsored by Wachovia, - not a Disney emblem anywhere on it!!! It looked as if it took the same route as the Orange bus. The design was cool, and it was super quiet!!! We didn't take a camera, so I didn't get a picture.

Deb

we use the bus and boats quite often.

unless it is late and we want to go to ghiradellis for an ice cream :mickeybar . then we all hop in one vehicle to go. :drive:

The boat to the Magic Kingdom is convenient. To get to the other parks depends on getting to the bus stop at the right time, if its convenient or not. If going to another resort DEFINITELY DRIVE YOURSELF, if its not on the boat transportation. WE find we save alot of time driving ourselves.

You took the word right out of my mouth.

Always use Disney transportation. I'm easy to entertain. Some of our most memorable moments have been on the bus or boat. I remember one evening coming back from MK. There was a gentleman loading an ECV onto the boat. I'm not sure what the situation was....If he was loading it for someone else in his party or if he was a first time user. He had absolutely no idea how to safely operate it. ( Not that I do either ) But when he went to enter the boat, he went from a complete stop to full throttle and rammed into the pilot house area of the boat. Needless to say at this point he had everyones attention. He then proceeded up the isle way like he was one of those balls in a pinball machine. He hit several seats and ended up against the doorway in the middle of the boat. ( The ones they never open) It was a very dangerous situation for anyone jumping out of his way! But as an observer from the safety of the other side of the boat is was hilarious watching. The entire boat was in tears laughing by the time he shut that thing off. I do believe he pushed it off at the campground.:lmao:

Always use Disney transportation. I'm easy to entertain. Some of our most memorable moments have been on the bus or boat. I remember one evening coming back from MK. There was a gentleman loading an ECV onto the boat. I'm not sure what the situation was....If he was loading it for someone else in his party or if he was a first time user. He had absolutely no idea how to safely operate it. ( Not that I do either ) But when he went to enter the boat, he went from a complete stop to full throttle and rammed into the pilot house area of the boat. Needless to say at this point he had everyones attention. He then proceeded up the isle way like he was one of those balls in a pinball machine. He hit several seats and ended up against the doorway in the middle of the boat. ( The ones they never open) It was a very dangerous situation for anyone jumping out of his way! But as an observer from the safety of the other side of the boat is was hilarious watching. The entire boat was in tears laughing by the time he shut that thing off. I do believe he pushed it off at the campground.:lmao:
This sounds like a Tom Green skit or something...maybe the crew from PUNK'd was filming him!!

Don't drive to MK, whatever you do. At least, that's my advice. And if you do drive to MK, don't use the directions given by the tomtom, as you will end up in the employees only area.

After reading threads on the topic, we decided to take the buses. After taking the busses a couple of times, we decided to drive. One benefit of driving is that our kids fall asleep in the van in the 10 minutes it takes to get back to the campsite. They do not fall asleep in the 35 minutes it takes to wait for the bus, and since they aren't strapped into a 5pt harness on the bus, they don't fall asleep there either.

If you want to save time and not sit like sardines. Drive yourself everywhere from the Fort except The Magic Kingdom. The boat brings you to the front gates of the Magic Kingdom. Everywhere else takes way to long for my likeing.

actually, I've observed the people crammed in like sardines, trying to fit strollers and the like. People sweaty, irritated and uncomfortable. You'll never catch me on the bus. We always chuckle at the folks there.

As my good friend Bald Vinny once said

"The bus is for people short on money, but long on time"

We tried taking the busses to get to restaurants in the evening so that we could both have a drink.

We lasted 2 nights into our 14 night vacation!

Busses are crowded, noisy and slow. They take forever to get anywhere as they often have to make numerous stops around the larger resorts (we stay at POR) before they reach your stop and if you find a wheelchair user, they take forever to lower the ramp, strap them down etc.

If you have no other option (ie. you don't drive) then the busses are a great bonus but if you can drive, do so!

If going to the MK we usually ride our bikes to the docks or just ride the bus to the docks.

Any other park we drive.

We always drive whether we are at the Fort, or staying at DVC I like to travel on my time schedule and not someone else's. Also the DW, gets motion sick very easy :eek: , especially if she has to sit sideways on some of the buses.

Now if we are going to MK we will take the boat over.

I like the covenience of the busses and use them going to the parks. However, to get to a non-MK resort, I prefer to drive.

I use the buses pretty much all the time. Yes it may take a little longer, but I'm there to relax!!!! After I'm set up, my truck gets parked out in overflow.

I do use my hubby's ECV to scoot around Ft. Wilderness and just park it in golf cart parking. In October though I'll have a bicycle.

I use the buses pretty much all the time. Yes it may take a little longer, but I'm there to relax!!!! After I'm set up, my truck gets parked out in overflow.

I do use my hubby's ECV to scoot around Ft. Wilderness and just park it in golf cart parking. In October though I'll have a bicycle.

I agree Carol. It's nice just to sit on the bus and look at the posters for movies and abc stuff. If we're staying at Epcot after closing I do drive though because the bus is packed and sometimes you don't get on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter