Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn which is in the same block as the parks and an easy walk away. It came highly recommended which was a good thing because the Disney hotels were super expensive when we visited. :eek:

I would say that you could spend two days in Disneyland and at the time half a day in the newer park. I understand that it has been expanded a lot since we've been though. Disneyland is smaller but packs a lot into its more miniscule self. It was charming and maybe I'm too imaginative but I keep seeing Walt in everything. The food was not as good at the time (now it might be equal :sick: ) but it was edible.

Disney's best ride in my eyes is there. The Indy ride is amazing. I also loved Fantasyland and Toontown.

Thanks for the review we are considering it heavily,but we will definitely go in off season.Crowds and pricing is two biggies for us.Thanks again planogirl. Flicx

GRAND CALI GRAND CALI GRAND CALI ----simply the best.

Ok, give me a minute to compose myself....did I tell you we LOVE the Grand Californian. It is our absolute favorite disney resort, hands down.

3 years ago after we were married I finally convinced DH to try DL. He suffled his feet, whined it was so small, pouted and finally relented. I called our fellow Disney addicts (who loved DL as much as I did) and before you knew it....we were checking into the resort.

Hey....guess what I had playing on the car stereo as we turned into the entrance of the Grand Calif? You got it......"Now is the time".....from carousel of progress in WDW....(Hello, I'm Julie your cruise director!) princess: I always have a "musical tour" from the airport to WDW and DL...last time we arrived at WDW for Flower and Garden.....we drove under the Welcome to Walt Disney World sign to......Welcome Welcome Welcome (daily opening music for the MK). Oh my.....I got off track again. Sorry.

Ok, lets be serious now......

How can you NOT be overwhelmed when you first enter the lobby of the Grand Californian. It is a breathtaking hotel nestled into a teeny footprint of what was once the parking lot. There is a resort tour.....take it....it's worth the time.

What DH soon discovered, however, is there is a special magic at Disneyland. Sure, WDW IS bigger.....but size doesn't always matter. Disneyland park is Walt's park....he walked there....Miss Lillian thought there was not enough shopping so Walt built New Orleans square. When you are taking the train around the park and stop in frontierland, you can here the tapping sounds of the teletype. Guess what is being broadcast? "To all those who come here today, welcome. Disneyland is YOUR land". Remember Walt saying that on opening day?

Yes, it's compact...you transit from one land to another almost instantly. Hey, it's easy for those of us who no longer walk as well as other!

Main Street IS smaller......but it's also charming. The castle IS smaller....but you can walk through and stand on the very spot we have seen Walt stand in the picture. Did you realize Sleeping Beauty's castle was built and named 3 years BEFORE any work on the Sleeping Beauty movie started.

Want some trivia (from an EXCELLENT "Walk in Walt's footsepts" tour - high recommended).

They were building the castle and Walt wanted gold leaf on the tops of the spires. "It's the ONLY thing which will sparkle even on a cloudy day" he told Roy. Roy responded with something like....ARE YOU NUTS - DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH GOLD LEAF COSTS.....in a word, Roy said no. Walt was not one to give up on an idea easily. He simply waited until Roy's next trip to NY and had the castle outfitted with the gold leaf before Roy returned. And those spires continue to sparkle today.

Castmembers are happy, the place is clean (perhaps because they are so close to the big burbank guys). There are even a few rides which kick WDW's butt! Space Mountain - hands down soooo much better at DL. WDW-SM, put your tail between your legs and go home! Pirates...so great...and starting in front of Blue Bayou...very cool.

Now that they are finally finding a way to make California Adventure more than an afterthought, it's just a GREAT choice.

It took no time for DH to fall in love with it as well. We are now out there every 18 months or so between a few WDW trips.

Go with an open mind. You will find the gentle charm of THE magical place which.........."was all started by a mouse".

Bon Voyage!

Thanks donut thats a great review.We said we were gonna go once and we are gonna treat it like a once in a lifetime trip.Thats why the question about the californian.You should consider giving reviews for the company.I'm sold! Flicx

Well I found this site that lists the rack rates for 2005.

So let's compare rack rate from 2005 to discount rate for 2010

I just picked a date 10/03

2005 ~ Courtyard view ~ $255
2010 ~ Courtyard view ~ $207
2010 ~ Courtyard view ~ $345 (no discount)

I don't think I can like to the site here but if you google 2005 disney world rack rates you should get to it.

Of course I didn't get far enough to research if they had open to the general public room only discounts in 2005.

The rack rates have jumped,as have the tickets and food.I believe if someone did research on all disney prices there would be no doubt prices have increased faster than inflation.Heres a great fact from my grandma who stayed in the tower in the contemporary shortly after disney world opened.She told me the room was $25.00 a night when she stayed then!She forgot the view but remembered the price.Kinda neat!

In 1971 when the comtemp opened, the room rates were $28-44 a night.

http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/2010/01/29/a-contemporary-classic-by-chuck-mirarchi/

The average pay in 1971 was $6500. In 2010 it's expected to be about $43,400.

The price of a gallon of gas in 1971 was about .30 in case anyone wanted another price to compare.

She told me it was a special or something' she has a great memory apparently.I know they only stayed one night.I didn't really post to compare prices' just thought I would mention the memory.I will stand by my opinion of disney world prices go up way faster than inflation though!

Boma and Ohana buffett
$25.99

Double Stroller
$18.99

Turkey Leg
$4.99

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $15.99

One Day Ticket

$65.00 BEFORE TAX

Boma and Ohana buffett
$34.99 PLUS SURCHARGES most of the year!

Double Stroller
$31.99

Turkey Leg
$7.99

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $19.99

One Day Ticket

$82.00 BEFORE TAX

You really can't just compare inflation along with older date prices. There are so many other things to take into consideration.

Supply and demand must be considered as well as a consumers perceived value.

Inflation is NOT the only factor it just happens to be the factor most people are familiar with.

According to inflation ONLY my milk should have cost me 1.63 today compared to 1971. As we all know the number of Dairy Farmers (or farmers in general really) driving down the supply and thus up the demand.

The cost of laborers on the farm has gone up along with the cost of feed, equipment etc there by compounding inflation.

We as Americans are not looking for the 3% raise every year ~ correct? That is like an employer saying that even though you now have 10 years of experience working for me you are still only worth exactly what you worth to me 10 years ago assuming only cost of living raises. No one wants that. We all want to be better off than we were last year not the same.

Just some food for thought. I haven't sat down and done the economic graphing of prices or anything.

I just wish that my employer gave raises much less kept up with inflation. It's been more about layoffs and furloughs in my case. This has gone on while prices all across the board have for the most part skyrocketed.

True that Disney is just one factor but I have to pay my mortgage and utilities and so on before Disney gets any money. Those things take more which leaves me less left over while Disney steadily wants more. This is my reality and I doubt that I'm the only one.

Boma and Ohana buffett
$25.99

Double Stroller
$18.99

Turkey Leg
$4.99

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $15.99

One Day Ticket

$65.00 BEFORE TAX

Boma and Ohana buffett
$34.99 PLUS SURCHARGES most of the year! (inflation only adjustment s/b ~ 29.55 this I think has a lot to do with demand and free dining deals and such.)

Double Stroller
$31.99 (this I attribute to outside vendors, perhaps the cost of replacing strollers the higher demand for strollers because older kids are in them.... it is high but I sincerely think that there are other contributing factors)

Turkey Leg
$7.99 (this is higher than inflation only adjustment s/b ~ 5.66)

Trails End Buffett
LUNCH $19.99 (this is close to on par with inflation only adjustment)

One Day Ticket

$82.00 BEFORE TAX (inflation only adjustment would be at 73.36 not too terribly off)

Assuming you did all this stuff in one day at WDW:

In 2010 would be 177.96
In 2005 would be 130.96

Adjusting for inflation only it should be about 148.61

Again this is really thrown off by the double stroller ~ it'd be interesting to know when the outside companies started renting the double strollers.

But really over all I don't think it is that bad.... especially if with room discounts you are saving some over what you would have paid in 2005.

It be an interesting case study to do for my Economics research paper.

I just wish that my employer gave raises much less kept up with inflation. It's been more about layoffs and furloughs in my case. This has gone on while prices all across the board have for the most part skyrocketed.

True that Disney is just one factor but I have to pay my mortgage and utilities and so on before Disney gets any money. Those things take more which leaves me less left over while Disney steadily wants more. This is my reality and I doubt that I'm the only one.

how true! many people are taking pay CUTS and cuts in benefits, just to keep their job.

how true! many people are taking pay CUTS and cuts in benefits, just to keep their job.

We've been lucky and really only taken benefit hits. But I do know we are lucky and that is not the norm right now.

I'm lucky I should say that my DH is so in demand.... if it weren't for him I would be penniless and homeless probably. :guilty:

In a way, I compare the price increases at Disney to the increases to take your kids to see a pro. baseball game.
most families can't afford it anymore.

some prices for "family entertainment" have increased MUCH higher than the average families' pay increases. and it's a Gol' darn shame.

Our local amusement park is absurd. So we don't go. Sure we could... but I refuse to spend the money for what it is. It used to be free to go in and walk around and you could buy a bracelet for people who wanted to ride ~ it was 10.00 for a bracelet and now it is 35.00 mandatory bracelet to even get in the door.

We used to go play some games, grab a slice of pizza, watch the log flume. Not anymore. So we go to another venue to do the same thing for free.

The first time they tried to charge me to go in and I said "What?! Are you serious?" they said "you pay to park at Disney." Yeah, um, you are not even close!

see, now at 6 flags in Illinois, they CUT the prices. also, at Indiana beach (woosy park that it is).

Disney is definitely living in Fantasyland. They are constantly raising prices... on everything. Real estate is in the toliet, but they're pumping up the price on DVC.:confused3

Too many of the increases are beyond ridiculous. While, I can afford them, I can't justify it. Quality is down and prices are up. So, we spend less in WDW.

Thanks donut thats a great review.We said we were gonna go once and we are gonna treat it like a once in a lifetime trip.Thats why the question about the californian.You should consider giving reviews for the company.I'm sold! Flicx

Awwwww shucks! Thanks!

Few more tidbits.....

Grand Californian is Californian Craftsmen style. Like the Wildie, there is guest access at most levels overlooking the beautiful lobby. If you have some time, checkout the photo ops from multiple levels. You will find the variety of lamps beautiful...I had a full page in a travel scrapbook dedicated to the lamps at the Cali.

Take a look in the corners near each elevator lobby level. You will find artistic representations of birds which live .... at that level......eagles on the top floor for example.

One MUST DO when you arrive. You will go through the entrance....turn and look back. They are actually beautiful glass doors - beautiful californian scene in the afternoon sunlight.

Next look down.....the floor changes from stone to carpet....but the pattern follows seemlessly. Wait till you see the FIREPLACE....they have storybook readings INSIDE the fireplace in the evenngs for the children. You will understand when you see it. Piano in the lobby like the Grand Floridian and at the holidays the tree is spectacular!

We were there last December. I had just had surgery and was traveling on my decorated scooter with some pretty fantabulous pain pills (yes, all the photos of me had BIG smiles!......frightening thought.....when I take those types of drugs....I become....CHATTY - YIKES). We decided to wander down to the pool for a little break in the sun. THEY HAVE CUSHIONS ON THOSE POOL CHAIRS THAT MAKE YOU......want to slap your mama! Like 6 inches thick ...AND they will bring cocktails right to your pool lounge. (ok, didn't want to sound like the Clampits here). Needless to say, I didn't need a cocktail but DH took advantage of the Budweiser express!!

BIG BIG BIG advantage of staying at the Grand Cali? Direct access to California Adventure....and I mean direct. They have a private entrance. Now that they have added a 30 minute EMH in the mornings, that means you can get in line for WOC fastpasses.....before the non-disney resort guests.

Through the private entrance you are about 300 yards from Sorin...where we began each day.

Oh yes....WOC? I thought you would never ask. World of Color is Fantasmic on steroids....but better. It started a few months ago and is a tremendous hit. Stop reading right now and go to You Tube and watch the show.....about 25 minutes and standing room only every night (why the early grab of fastpasses is such a great deal).

At the Grand Cali you are just about as close as you can get to Disneyland...you actually walk out into DTD. About 7 minutes (including security) and you are standing on Main Street.

If this is a once in a lifetime, please consider Napa Rose. 5 star dining at the Grand Cali. The view from the dining room is beautiful, the entire restaurant is just lovely and food wonderful....even after some cutbacks.

Consider lunch or dinner at Blue Bayou. It's located in New Orleans Square but once you are seated, you realize you are actually sitting outisde (Disney outside) overlooking the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean.....there are even fireflys.

We stayed 6 nights last time.....with our DVC friends in a 2 bedroom villa overlooking the "da-- bear ride" (Like Kali River Rapids.....good thing, when you get soaked, you are 5 minutes from your room!)

6 nights is MORE than enough time for most people....but we toured the resort, DTD.....and I cannot do as much in a day in a scooter. 6 days is probably too much....but we loved every minute.

If you go in November or December.....they change two rides. Haunted Mansion is converted to a Nightmare Before Christmas theme and Small World turns into Small World Christmas.......two fun changes.

I hope you fall in love with it as we have.

There is a section here on the DIS for DisneyLAND guests......if you have any questions (airport transfers, up to date dining ideas, etc.) ask over there. The guests are very helpful.

I am sooooo excited for you!!!

Our local amusement park is absurd. So we don't go. Sure we could... but I refuse to spend the money for what it is. It used to be free to go in and walk around and you could buy a bracelet for people who wanted to ride ~ it was 10.00 for a bracelet and now it is 35.00 mandatory bracelet to even get in the door.

We used to go play some games, grab a slice of pizza, watch the log flume. Not anymore. So we go to another venue to do the same thing for free.

The first time they tried to charge me to go in and I said "What?! Are you serious?" they said "you pay to park at Disney." Yeah, um, you are not even close!

Okay, are you from Maine? You are describing Funtown USA to a T. And I feel the exact same way about that park. I haven't stepped foot in that "amusement" park in 15+ years. Place is a .......:sad2: And I heard the same thing to. But you'll pay X for Disney? Really? You don't even compare to Dinoland in AK....

Yes actually we probably live less than 5 miles apart! I live in Biddeford! We have taken DD's to Funtown ONCE ever - it is insanely expensive IMHO! We just go to palace playland instead and the girls ride a couple beach rides then we get pier fries and pizza all for less than one admission to Funtown.

Yes I agree that customer service is going to a disappointing level at disney. The staff act like its just a job,seem bored and will not go out of their way to help you. For example, when checking at Wilderness Lodge in April we asked for our dining reservations to be printed out, the lovely clerk said we would have to go to the other line to have them printed. Which is funny since there was no line when we were checking-in and past visits they would be willing to do this. Also I see time and time again the college-aged kids have no personality act rude to guests and go out of there way to avoid a smile. Really? I would have loved to have had the chance to be part of the disney college program!
It just seems no effort anymore.

I'm so glad someone gave me this link.

I just posted something on the boards about our past visit, yesterday actually.

I think Disney has definitely gone DOWN... DECLINED.. whatever the heck you want to call it.

I hate it!! I don't want it to go that way.

What happened to being happy to be there? What happened to decent CS food? (We got a see-through bun .... no joke)

No detail is really being paid attention to... not that I can see. I saw weeds, paint chipped... dust on everything....

I got yelled at in my car by the CM when I was parking b/c it was my understanding if you were staying on property that you could park for free... wow. Can you say embarrassing?

I understand quality comes at a price, and thats cool... but when things are declining .. and prices are raising... I wanna know where that money is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter