Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We plan to stop at DisneyLand on our way to Hawaii next year. As a couple day kind of thing as I have heard it is quite small and doesn't take too long to do it all.

We want to do the same thing! We've already been to Hawaii, but want to take the kids - DVC Aulani! So, we also thought we would go to DisneyLand for a few days before, as we've never been. It will break up the extremely long flight we have to Hawaii. A stop at DisneyLand is a great idea!

Hope you have a great trip! Tiger :)

Things have changed at Disney sure, things change everywhere. I miss back in the late 80s early 90s when you could get a terriyaki burger and waffle fries in Magic Kingdom. I miss Minnie Mia's Pizzaria at Downtown Disney and I miss the old favorites like Universe of Motion, Horizon and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride but as a local I am in the parks as often as possible and I still enjoy so many things and I do not feel that Disney is headed "downhill"

We eat on property regularly in the last 2 weeks I've been to DHS, Epcot and Magic Kingdom ate at counter service places at each of those parks and truly enjoyed what I had. I also chose - even though I only live ten minutes away from Disney - to spend a weekend at POR to celebrate my birthday. Me and my husband had a fabulous time. We ate delicious meals and spend all of our time at the resort where the CM's were friendly and chatty and our room was clean and wonderful. This is not a choice I would make if I felt the quality was bad.

I haven't actually been. I have a friend who much prefers Disneyland to the World.

I don't think *gasp* she is a member here though. ;)
Should I admit this? I found that I liked Disneyland better than any single park at WDW and I enjoyed California more than Florida. Overall WDW is nicer though and I understand that my other fave Universal is much nicer in Florida too.

Check it out sometime!

after 17 trips to WDW, I SO want to try disney land!!!! something different.:rotfl2:(my grown kids would laugh; they keep telling us to go somewhere different.)

I started reading this thread and several of the responses were along the lines of, people are still coming! Its fine!

Fast forward to now, when the discussion is about how empty the parks are. I'm going at the end of this week so I certainly hope that is the case, and this is traditionally a slow time of year, but...to respond to those posts at the beginning of the thread, no, clearly some people AREN'T still coming.

The economy has a lot to do with that. But for some time now, the Theme Park division of Disney Co. has been unhealthy and the numbers are getting worse. Theme park attendance has been consistently down. I do think the downward trend in quality and value at Disney Parks and Resorts has a hand in that.

What troubles me are two things--one of them costs money, the other doesn't. The first is basic maintenance. My last trip last year, we witnessed multiple incidents of just basic things not working--we had more rides go down in that one trip than in 5 previous trips combined. We had several buses break down. Several monorails get stuck. And so on. Here and there, its bad luck. That many instances is a trend--clearly Disney is cutting costs and not putting enough money into keep these things running.

The other troubling trend is an ever-increasing number of cast members that don't seem to get it or have bad attitudes. It used to be rare to encounter one that wasn't extraordinary, now, for the most part they are average with standouts on both ends--and way too many standouts on the negative end. This will be our first stay in a deluxe resort in many years so I am curious to see if we notice an improvement--I hope so. Of course, back to that vicious cycle--this year we can actually afford to stay in a deluxe because pricing is so aggressive!

But yes, things have gone downhill. I really hope I see some improvements this trip.

YOU DIDN"T LIKE BOMA? :scared1: LOL! I guess it may be too spicy or cinnamon'y for some people.

Ohana is good so is Prime Time Cafe. :wizard:

I liked a lot of the food @ Boma, but my DW has Colitis so she has to kind of be weary of what she eats and she is a little picky. This is why we do mostly buffets for the variety. She is not a big fan of "different" food. Also, to me at least, Boma was okay but not worth the price tag.

We love this time of year!! No waits!! Woot - woot! Can't wait to go! Sept rocks!

We have gone to WDW mostly in May. Crowds at that time, IMO, are medium to light. The big attractions, IE Soarin etc are busy, but everything else is 20 mins or less. We've walked on BTR 6 times in a row before, Buzz had 5 mins, Test Track had 5-10mins etc.

We also went once in Dec. Crowds were pretty light then. Again, Soarin etc were bust but everything else was 5-10 mins.

We did have a trip for May but had to cancel. So we rescheduled for Sept w/ free dining. We hear that the crowds are the lowest at this time, but it can be hot/humid/rainy. Oh well, we can deal with the heat etc for low crowds. I hope that everyone is right.:cloud9:

And on the topic at hand.

Disney going dowhill is still very subject IMO. I read a lot about Disney cutting costs etc., they're not giving what they used to etc. WDW is going downhill etc. IMO the things that WDW have cut are minimal and most you cannot notice unless you are really looking for it. Even with the "cuts", WDW still provides an amazing experience and an experience that is better than most other "theme" parks and vacation spots.

"We" as WDW guests want too much and contradict ourselves. "We" want heavy discounts, free DDP, free this, and free that. "We don't want to pay "rack" rates. BUT then "we" complain that WDW took away this or that, or removed certain things from the menu etc. Where do people expect the $$$ to come from to suppliment all the discounts etc? You can't have both.

Oh, and don't get me going on the WDW needs new attractions and things need to be updated followed by the OMG, why is this closed during my vacation, why is this being renovated during MY vacation etc. UGH!!:headache:

In this bad economy, WDW has had discounts and extended discounts, pretty much all year for the past few years to keep attendence up. Of course, other things may suffer or need to be cut to balance it out. I can't wait to see what happens when WDW can finally scale back the discounts that guests have become used to. That should create some backlash too, actually I can see the thread on these forums about that subject hitting thousands of posts overnight. ;)

Again, never experinced a truly rude CM, so I cannot comment. CM's, IMO, have always provided a great experience for my DW and I.

And on the topic at hand.

Disney going dowhill is still very subject IMO. I read a lot about Disney cutting costs etc., they're not giving what they used to etc. WDW is going downhill etc. IMO the things that WDW have cut are minimal and most you cannot notice unless you are really looking for it. Even with the "cuts", WDW still provides an amazing experience and an experience that is better than most other "theme" parks and vacation spots.

"We" as WDW guests want too much and contradict ourselves. "We" want heavy discounts, free DDP, free this, and free that. "We don't want to pay "rack" rates. BUT then "we" complain that WDW took away this or that, or removed certain things from the menu etc. Where do people expect the $$$ to come from to suppliment all the discounts etc? You can't have both.

Oh, and don't get me going on the WDW needs new attractions and things need to be updated followed by the OMG, why is this closed during my vacation, why is this being renovated during MY vacation etc. UGH!!:headache:

In this bad economy, WDW has had discounts and extended discounts, pretty much all year for the past few years to keep attendence up. Of course, other things may suffer or need to be cut to balance it out. I can't wait to see what happens when WDW can finally scale back the discounts that guests have become used to. That should create some backlash too, actually I can see the thread on these forums about that subject hitting thousands of posts overnight. ;)

Again, never experinced a truly rude CM, so I cannot comment. CM's, IMO, have always provided a great experience for my DW and I.

You're right. Guests demand discounts, and in the next breath they complain that Disney isn't what it used to be. Of course it isn't! "Disney" and "discount" were never in the same sentence in those glory days. You paid premium prices for the rooms, the food and the tickets. If you couldn't afford it, you didn't go and oddly enough...people still went. Summers were still crowded, holidays were still busy. People now want more and more "magic" but they want to pay less for it. It's just common sense that you can't have it both ways.

:thumbsup2

BUT, the cost of a WDW vacation has risen much faster than inflation, me thinks, even with discounts. JMO.........
I was thinking that too. Plus it could be argued that those discounts to make the trips more affordable have actually led to WDW going downhill.

I was thinking that too. Plus it could be argued that those discounts to make the trips more affordable have actually led to WDW going downhill.

Very true because the discounted $$$ has to come from somewhere. And another point. Disney increases prices every year, even in the down economy, BUT they continue to offer discounts to get people in the parks and their resorts. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe it's all just some devious plot by Disney.:idea:

Maybe, just maybe, Disney keeps increasing prices each year so that they can offer these discounts to make us think we're getting a deal but we're just paying the prices that Disney truly wants us too...:laughing:

If someone has the time, I would love to see what the prices w/ all the discounts today compare to day 5 years ago where their weren't so many discounts running around.. 2010 w/ discounts vs 2005 w/o. Hmmmm...makes you think...:teacher:

I do not believe that WDW per say has gone down hill, In so much as more of the patrons have. After all...."Is this not, the Me Generation"?

BTW, we still continue our travels to WDW. We can be happy or unhappy, anyplace, including WDW. :hug:

:thumbsup2

BUT, the cost of a WDW vacation has risen much faster than inflation, me thinks, even with discounts. JMO.........

I think that is a fact.A trend that I think won't be going away soon.There are few other things that people have mentioned I really don't agree with though.I remember discounts since the early 90's.The 90's also had probably the biggest addition of parks and attractions in disney world history too.I personally think now it is a higher management issue more than anything.I believe they are in a money grab mode more than ever now!I think they are living on there past reputation and unfortunately they are developing a new one.

I would bet that the average guest expenditure to attend Disney per day has outpaced inflation. Inclusive of parks, resorts, etc.

It seems to me that Disney is regularly increasing rates because there are certain times of the year that the parks come close to capacity and will do so almost regardless of what they charge. So they are maximizing their revenue during those times of the year when they can. The rest of the year is seeing discounts that are really the equiavelent of eliminating prior year increases down to a certain baseline.

On the dining side, prices seem to have risen so much that I'm of the opinion that non-promotional guests (who aren't on free dining) are now basically subsidizing those that are. I eat at a lot of restaurants in a lot of different places and Disney's prices are way out of line with the quality of the food and for the most part the experience. There's no way they aren't making a ton on guests who are paying "rack" rates for food.

Name me one thing that hasn't gone downhill in the last few years. A #4 at Mcdonalds 5 years ago was $5.50 now it's $8.00 and half the size. I hope it all turns around soon.

What is a #4?

Okay, I found the answer to my question. I stopped at McDonalds today. A #4 value meal is a double quarter pounder/w cheese, fries and drink @ $6.29. The most expensive value meal is $6.49 and is the crispy chicken club.

Geesh...I know McDonald's prices vary, but that's quite a bit.:eek:

Should I admit this? I found that I liked Disneyland better than any single park at WDW and I enjoyed California more than Florida. Overall WDW is nicer though and I understand that my other fave Universal is much nicer in Florida too.

Check it out sometime!

So Plano you have been to both.Did you stay at the grand californian.How many days to do both parks in the offseason.Did you think the magic kingdom and disneyland were very different. We have been weighing this one for a while and i know we will go eventually.I am kinda curious to see the differences in service, food, costs etc.Thanks for your input in advance!

So Plano you have been to both.Did you stay at the grand californian.How many days to do both parks in the offseason.Did you think the magic kingdom and disneyland were very different. We have been weighing this one for a while and i know we will go eventually.I am kinda curious to see the differences in service, food, costs etc.Thanks for your input in advance!

GRAND CALI GRAND CALI GRAND CALI ----simply the best.

Ok, give me a minute to compose myself....did I tell you we LOVE the Grand Californian. It is our absolute favorite disney resort, hands down.

3 years ago after we were married I finally convinced DH to try DL. He suffled his feet, whined it was so small, pouted and finally relented. I called our fellow Disney addicts (who loved DL as much as I did) and before you knew it....we were checking into the resort.

Hey....guess what I had playing on the car stereo as we turned into the entrance of the Grand Calif? You got it......"Now is the time".....from carousel of progress in WDW....(Hello, I'm Julie your cruise director!) princess: I always have a "musical tour" from the airport to WDW and DL...last time we arrived at WDW for Flower and Garden.....we drove under the Welcome to Walt Disney World sign to......Welcome Welcome Welcome (daily opening music for the MK). Oh my.....I got off track again. Sorry.

Ok, lets be serious now......

How can you NOT be overwhelmed when you first enter the lobby of the Grand Californian. It is a breathtaking hotel nestled into a teeny footprint of what was once the parking lot. There is a resort tour.....take it....it's worth the time.

What DH soon discovered, however, is there is a special magic at Disneyland. Sure, WDW IS bigger.....but size doesn't always matter. Disneyland park is Walt's park....he walked there....Miss Lillian thought there was not enough shopping so Walt built New Orleans square. When you are taking the train around the park and stop in frontierland, you can here the tapping sounds of the teletype. Guess what is being broadcast? "To all those who come here today, welcome. Disneyland is YOUR land". Remember Walt saying that on opening day?

Yes, it's compact...you transit from one land to another almost instantly. Hey, it's easy for those of us who no longer walk as well as other!

Main Street IS smaller......but it's also charming. The castle IS smaller....but you can walk through and stand on the very spot we have seen Walt stand in the picture. Did you realize Sleeping Beauty's castle was built and named 3 years BEFORE any work on the Sleeping Beauty movie started.

Want some trivia (from an EXCELLENT "Walk in Walt's footsepts" tour - high recommended).

They were building the castle and Walt wanted gold leaf on the tops of the spires. "It's the ONLY thing which will sparkle even on a cloudy day" he told Roy. Roy responded with something like....ARE YOU NUTS - DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH GOLD LEAF COSTS.....in a word, Roy said no. Walt was not one to give up on an idea easily. He simply waited until Roy's next trip to NY and had the castle outfitted with the gold leaf before Roy returned. And those spires continue to sparkle today.

Castmembers are happy, the place is clean (perhaps because they are so close to the big burbank guys). There are even a few rides which kick WDW's butt! Space Mountain - hands down soooo much better at DL. WDW-SM, put your tail between your legs and go home! Pirates...so great...and starting in front of Blue Bayou...very cool.

Now that they are finally finding a way to make California Adventure more than an afterthought, it's just a GREAT choice.

It took no time for DH to fall in love with it as well. We are now out there every 18 months or so between a few WDW trips.

Go with an open mind. You will find the gentle charm of THE magical place which.........."was all started by a mouse".

Bon Voyage!

If someone has the time, I would love to see what the prices w/ all the discounts today compare to day 5 years ago where their weren't so many discounts running around.. 2010 w/ discounts vs 2005 w/o. Hmmmm...makes you think...:teacher:

Well I found this site that lists the rack rates for 2005.

So let's compare rack rate from 2005 to discount rate for 2010

I just picked a date 10/03

2005 ~ Courtyard view ~ $255
2010 ~ Courtyard view ~ $207
2010 ~ Courtyard view ~ $345 (no discount)

I don't think I can like to the site here but if you google 2005 disney world rack rates you should get to it.

Of course I didn't get far enough to research if they had open to the general public room only discounts in 2005.

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn which is in the same block as the parks and an easy walk away. It came highly recommended which was a good thing because the Disney hotels were super expensive when we visited. :eek:

I would say that you could spend two days in Disneyland and at the time half a day in the newer park. I understand that it has been expanded a lot since we've been though. Disneyland is smaller but packs a lot into its more miniscule self. It was charming and maybe I'm too imaginative but I keep seeing Walt in everything. The food was not as good at the time (now it might be equal :sick: ) but it was edible.

Disney's best ride in my eyes is there. The Indy ride is amazing. I also loved Fantasyland and Toontown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter