Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, a couple of things I'm noticing here...

First, those of us saying there has been a decline are not saying Disney sucks, so don't worry. I still go more than once a year even though I've been very vocal about many things. It's not a question of whether Disney is enjoyable, rather, whether it could be more enjoyable if certain things hadn't changed the way they did.

Secondly, and more importantly, I guess I really don't understand (and never will) the mentality of it is the way it is. Just deal with it and enjoy it. I'm paraphrasing here but many people have posted this sort of opinion. Honestly, that attitude is exactly why things are the way they are in many aspects of life--not just Disney. If you see something wrong, you should tell them about it. If you see something right, you should tell them about it. If you have ideas for changes, you should let them know as well. If we all had the, "it is the way it is," mentality, everything would get as boring as the food in Disney...

Great post, I couldn't have said it better.

thanks!
Brunette

The solution seems easy to me, stop increasing prices drastically while decreasing quality (arguably drastically as well).

Does anyone really think people are going to pay the current rack rates (plus Disneyfied inflation) or the current restaurant prices without any deals? I personally don't think so, atleast not as frequently as you see now.

I love Disney, but the prices (especially food) have gotten crazy for what you get, even building in a "theme park premium". The most prestigious steakhouse in my city's prices should not be comparable to Chef Mickey's (which was horrible last time I went). That's ridiculous.

First, those of us saying there has been a decline are not saying Disney sucks, so don't worry. I still go more than once a year even though I've been very vocal about many things. It's not a question of whether Disney is enjoyable, rather, whether it could be more enjoyable if certain things hadn't changed the way they did.

Secondly, and more importantly, I guess I really don't understand (and never will) the mentality of it is the way it is. Just deal with it and enjoy it. I'm paraphrasing here but many people have posted this sort of opinion. Honestly, that attitude is exactly why things are the way they are in many aspects of life--not just Disney. If you see something wrong, you should tell them about it. If you see something right, you should tell them about it. If you have ideas for changes, you should let them know as well. If we all had the, "it is the way it is," mentality, everything would get as boring as the food in Disney...

^^:thumbsup2 Yes, exactly! Status quo will get you more of the same - if something is wrong, keep at it til you are satisfied!

Well said!

I don't think that anyone is saying that Disney isn't still fun. Those that completely dislike what Disney is now probably wouldn't bother to post here. It's just not as special as it once was.

Some people do seem to be OK with everything no matter what because after all it is Disney and Disney can do no wrong! I don't agree - Disney is a company in the business of making money and that will always come first. Some of those cuts in order to maximize profit aren't always so great.

I'm left shaking my head as I have just read the tickets we always buy went up 7% this year! The rooms we like had a 3% to 6% increase also.Now when you figure in the 12.5% tax on the rooms and the 6.5% tax on the tickets it starts to add up in a hurry. I feel for the average working stiffs in the world who now will really struggle to put together a family vacation at disney.It is a shame as I feel this is a superb family destination that has been taken over by greedy execs!Can anyone on here tell me the last time disney didn't raise ticket or room prices in a year.I know I can't remember the year.

I'm left shaking my head as I have just read the tickets we always buy went up 7% this year! The rooms we like had a 3% to 6% increase also.Now when you figure in the 12.5% tax on the rooms and the 6.5% tax on the tickets it starts to add up in a hurry. I feel for the average working stiffs in the world who now will really struggle to put together a family vacation at disney.It is a shame as I feel this is a superb family destination that has been taken over by greedy execs!Can anyone on here tell me the last time disney didn't raise ticket or room prices in a year.I know I can't remember the year.

Great point. We're in one of the worst economic conditions we've seen here in the US--where most DW customers come from--and they continue to increase prices. This is something I just don't get. Oh sure, I get it from a profit standpoint but, come on, enough is enough already.

Not that long ago, a Disney vacation really wasn't horribly expensive. Now...not so much. If we didn't own a timeshare (outright), we'd probably not go as much to be quite honest. The room rates have gotten insane. The ticket prices have gotten insane as well. Add to that the prices of other things (mainly food since that's usually your biggest bill on vacation after a room) and it's become quite an expensive proposition.

I used to tell people Disney changes stuff all of the time to keep people like us coming back. Not as many changes in recent years to warrant people to make repeat trips. Maybe they're really just going after first-time visitors who figure Disney is expensive so they'll pay the outrageous prices? I really don't know....

We do the TIW because we are annual passholders. Only problem with TIW is that they automatically add a 18% tip. I think that it opens up the chance to have shoddy service.

Not if you don't inform the server before the meal that you have the TIW (which is not required, you can present it when you pay the check. Many people say they prefer to present the card before ordering, but I have never done it that way.)

I actually don't know why they wanted to make PI WS more family-oriented but if anyone knows, please let me know!

They didn't want to make PI more family oriented. It was another outsourcing move. What Disney wanted to do was stop running the clubs and lease the space to third parties so they could play landlord. They apparently had some prospective lessees lined up, but after the economy tanked they lost those prospects. (Since 2008, only one restaurant, Paradiso 37, has opened in the area, and from what I have heard the owner of that restaurant has just filed for Chapter 11.)

Not if you don't inform the server before the meal that you have the TIW (which is not required, you can present it when you pay the check. Many people say they prefer to present the card before ordering, but I have never done it that way.)

They didn't want to make PI more family oriented. It was another outsourcing move. What Disney wanted to do was stop running the clubs and lease the space to third parties so they could play landlord. They apparently had some prospective lessees lined up, but after the economy tanked they lost those prospects. (Since 2008, only one restaurant, Paradiso 37, has opened in the area, and from what I have heard the owner of that restaurant has just filed for Chapter 11.)

Hi! ARe you saying you don't have to pay the 18 percent if you give them the card after you recieve your check? Thanks! Brunette

Hi! ARe you saying you don't have to pay the 18 percent if you give them the card after you recieve your check? Thanks! Brunette

They will still add the 18% (which can be adjusted I believe) but the server won't take the tip for granted. Also to remember with TIW, the sales tax is figured on the discounted amount so there is a savings there as well.

Yes , you still have to pay the 18%.

I think that when you go so often (us too) and have been going for years, you see the changes more easily. My family also sees the many changes and I can't think of any that I would have wanted other than fastpass. I count my blessings that my boys were young when it was better.
We still love going to WDW but I feel sad that it is not the same one that used to be.

Yes , you still have to pay the 18%.

I think that when you go so often (us too) and have been going for years, you see the changes more easily. My family also sees the many changes and I can't think of any that I would have wanted other than fastpass. I count my blessings that my boys were young when it was better.
We still love going to WDW but I feel sad that it is not the same one that used to be.

yes, you can tell the difference. It was almost better (and less crowded) when it was just the MK!!!

The problem with Disney is that it is currently being run by finance people and not Imagineers. Greed is in the air and I don't see it going away anytime soon. Disney makes millions in profit and continues to make cut backs. :earsboy: Bill

This is looking at history through rose colored glasses. Disney was actually in big trouble since the death of Walt and had been the target of corporate raiders. Roy Disney brought in Michael Eisner and Frank Wells to turn the company around. They did it but you see the results of changing the emphasis from the animation cel to the spreadsheet. So the good news is that Disney is still around but you can file it under Mark 8:36 and enjoy what's left over.

On my last trip the only thing I noticed was that Toontown was in desperate need of a paint job. 5 months later the FLE was announced. Everything else was the way I remembered it from years past.

PI was a great place but I'm told one of the reasons for it's closure was less than savory local characters were showing up there and some were packing heat. Not exactly a family friendly environment unfortunately.

I still say get rid of that horrible free dining.

PI was a great place but I'm told one of the reasons for it's closure was less than savory local characters were showing up there and some were packing heat. Not exactly a family friendly environment unfortunately.

Completely off-topic, but I adore your name and your avatar. :worship:

That was not the reason for the complete closure of all PI clubs.

You still have to pay the 18%. However, the concern mentioned was that because the server knows you are a TIW member and are going to be paying 18% tip automatically there would be no incentive for good service. If the server does not know you have TIW until you pay the check, that problem doesn't arise (unless you are a party of six or more, which would pay the 18% anyway). If you then get bad service, speak to a manager or don't use the TIW.

I always thought it was strange that Disney maintained the West Side but still closed PI. The last time we were over there it was right after it closed and was quite the eye sore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter