Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think expensive is very personal - I happen to think that paying $5.00 for a Latte at Starbucks is ridiculous, yet millions of people do it everyday. I happen to think that paying $100,000 for a car is crazy, yet there are many of those in my neighborhood. I happen to think that paying thousands of dollars to sit on a beach in Mexico and drink yourself silly is nuts, yet many people take part in those vacations each and everyday. I happen to think that paying for Disney's tickets, considering all of the entertainment value that is there, is good value for my money. My mileage may vary, but considering most of us on here love Disney, I would venture to say that most of us do still find value in Disney, but we might just see less of it, over the years.

Lots of interesting variables to discuss with this topic, but for me, seeing ticket prices as they are, it doesn't make me believe that Disney is going downhill. It tells me that there are serious expenses to pay, margins have to be made up, and Disney has to make up for heavy discounting the past few years. Where will the cut off be? I think since so many people purchases MYW packages, the 1 day ticket cost is not a huge deal, as it's not really a huge variable for many. Most people will package tickets with resort and food, so they don't even see a per cost per day price. Many of us in this discussion, don't purchase 1 day tickets either, so it's not really a relevant variable to use, and I would hate to see it cause people to go into a frenzy about it, IMHO.

Tiger :)

You're right "expensive" is very personal. As I've probably said a few times on various threads. I look at overall value as opposed to ticket prices.

My problem is becoming that for what disney offers for that price and lately I've seen a decline.

1) cutbacks in entertainment. Fantasmic almost takes an act of god to see since they've reduced the number of days showing. Now you have to either shell out extra bucks for a dinner package or arrive 2 hours ahead of time (time is money) to ensure seeing it.

Other live entertainment has been cut. Just a few years ago, before most "live" shows you got a live "pre-show". anyone remember the group 4 for a dollar that use to perform prior to "beauty and the beast"? Now you get zippo, you just sit. Same thing with Indiana Jones. there were always comedy acts to entertain the guest prior to beginning.

2) cutbacks in venues. I hated losing the adventurers club and I could have at least understood it, if they replaced it with another entertainment venue but now you have simply more stores.

3) Merchandise... on the topic of stores. A few years ago and I'm not talking long, souviener shops sold unique items to the stores, now pretty much every thing is homogonized. Do I really need Hannah Montana and the nightmare before Christmas in every store? why have it in the experdition everst shop? You get 1 theme for shirts and it's every where. Don't even get me started on quality.

4) food. this has been beaten to death so I'll just say, I'm glad we get a villa at least this way, if I get mediocre food it will be my fault. :rolleyes1

Anyone of these thing by themselves probably wouldn't be noticeable but you start having a cut back here and then a cut back there.... big problems.
so as much as we do love the world we are really living off it's reputation. We're going less and less. this is the 1st year in almost 12 that we did not take an annual trip. So I worry in 7 more years, it will become just like great adventures and wouldn't that be a shame.

Just wanted to put into perspective a few things about tickets:

1. Length of stay - I would guess that most guests average 5-7 days at WDW, and so most guests are not subject to the $87.00/day (tax included) ticket price. We all know that Disney discounts the longer you stay, but so do mostly all other entertainment venues: zoos, museums, etc.

2. Types of tickets - Adding extras brings the costs up, no doubt. But, for our purposes here, I think we need to compare apples to apples, so base tickets only.

3. Costs of tickets - Most guests are going to pay between $60.00-$38.00/day (base ticket only/tax included) for their tickets. There is a difference because as we know, Disney discounts the longer you stay. Is this expensive? It depends upon what you consider expensive - for what you get, I don't think it's expensive on a per day basis, but as we've already discussed, when you add in those costs for all family members, it does get more expensive. If you purchase a 10 day with no expiration option, you are looking at a bit of savings as well, as per day is approx. $50.00/adult (tax included).

I feel badly for those people who can't take advantage of 7-10 day tickets, or, Annual Passes like us, as they don't get the crazy savings that we get on tickets. Plus, don't forget, there are also discounted tickets available from Authorized Ticket Agents, such as Undercover Tourist or local Orlando hotels.

Bottom line, is that ticket prices have gone up quite a bit over the years, but as my hubby and I were saying, perhaps they were too low? Sea World, Universal and Disney, are all at close to $90.00/day adult for a 1 day ticket, but I'm sure they don't sell tons of 1 day tickets. Should Disney make all ticket days the same price? I'm not sure about that either?

I think expensive is very personal - I happen to think that paying $5.00 for a Latte at Starbucks is ridiculous, yet millions of people do it everyday. I happen to think that paying $100,000 for a car is crazy, yet there are many of those in my neighborhood. I happen to think that paying thousands of dollars to sit on a beach in Mexico and drink yourself silly is nuts, yet many people take part in those vacations each and everyday. I happen to think that paying for Disney's tickets, considering all of the entertainment value that is there, is good value for my money. My mileage may vary, but considering most of us on here love Disney, I would venture to say that most of us do still find value in Disney, but we might just see less of it, over the years.

Lots of interesting variables to discuss with this topic, but for me, seeing ticket prices as they are, it doesn't make me believe that Disney is going downhill. It tells me that there are serious expenses to pay, margins have to be made up, and Disney has to make up for heavy discounting the past few years. Where will the cut off be? I think since so many people purchases MYW packages, the 1 day ticket cost is not a huge deal, as it's not really a huge variable for many. Most people will package tickets with resort and food, so they don't even see a per cost per day price. Many of us in this discussion, don't purchase 1 day tickets either, so it's not really a relevant variable to use, and I would hate to see it cause people to go into a frenzy about it, IMHO.

Tiger :)

I actually do not think it is personal at all. Granted for some people price 5 years ago was too high and for some price in 15 years will still be OK, but it does not change the FACT that prices went up too fast, too much. Many parks including Universal and Six Flags(just those I know) kept their prices same for years. Universal increased prices right now but they had a very good reason. Prices on food and hotels also jumped up. Yes they do discounts but only to even this jump, and even with discounts you pay more then you paid couple of years ago. All this game with discounts reminds me Kohls, you never pay what is on a tag, they make you feel like you save.
I do not compare Disney to other destinations, they are different.
As for value, cuts, cuts, cuts. I am not happy to pay a fortune for a Applebees quality food or run after mousekeeping or wait forever for a bus after fireworks, and fireworks, Illuminations look naked. I went for 9 days this trip, I only went to park for 6 days, just did not want it, spend most of the time at the pool and DTD. I can definitely feel that value to cost is not that great anymore.

I actually do not think it is personal at all. Granted for some people price 5 years ago was too high and for some price in 15 years will still be OK, but it does not change the FACT that prices went up too fast, too much. Many parks including Universal and Six Flags(just those I know) kept their prices same for years. Universal increased prices right now but they had a very good reason. Prices on food and hotels also jumped up. Yes they do discounts but only to even this jump, and even with discounts you pay more then you paid couple of years ago. All this game with discounts reminds me Kohls, you never pay what is on a tag, they make you feel like you save.
As for value, cuts, cuts, cuts. I am not happy to pay a fortune for a Applebees quality food or run after mousekeeping or wait forever for a bus after fireworks, and fireworks, Illuminations look naked. I went for 9 days this trip, I only went to park for 6 days, just did not want it, spend most of the time at the pool and DTD. I can definitely feel that value to cost is not that great anymore.

Illuminations looked naked?? So I am guessing that our choice to not stay for Illuminations on our recent trip was a good idea...What changed...We use to LOVE Illuminations...:sad1:

Illuminations looked naked?? So I am guessing that our choice to not stay for Illuminations on our recent trip was a good idea...What changed...We use to LOVE Illuminations...:sad1:

You made a right decision. Illuminations used to be our(OK mine)favorite show. Do you remember how sky was getting light because there were so many fireworks, not anymore. The lenghts is same, the music is same but much less fireworks. It missing WOW factor now, simply not spectacular. We watched it on a second day of our trip when we stayed for extra evening hours, after that, we did Epcot 2 more days and left before fireworks. Wishes are same however.

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about VALUE. Value is a calculation as individual as our fingerprints. No one else can calculate it for us.

Sure, Bill Gates and the Vanderbilts will probably never think Disney is too expensive. The other side of the coin....there are many who have already been priced out of Disney trips the way they enjoyed years ago.

The bottom line.......guests will continue to find a way to visit Disney parks as long as they feel they receive "value" for their travel dollar. How long will we continue to feel we are receiving "value" for our $$$$ as Fellow Castmember Bob and his henchmen....(and henchwomen) continue their relentless cutbacks?

We base our Disney holidays on castmember discounts and benefits. If we had to add the cost of tickets.........plus castmember discounts on food, rooms and shopping......I doubt there would be value for us anymore.

Quite simply, there are just too many other REALLY COOL things to do which cost buckets less than Disney.

It's not just a case of finding "value" IMO. I suspect that those $100,000 cars are worth the money and have that value to their purchasers. That still doesn't mean that I will be able to enjoy that value by purchasing one of these cars. A business has to charge what the market will bear. Hence the discounts.

I do agree that we do still find enough value in the parks to pay the prices at this point. It's slipping though. Consider Epcot. Did anyone here see Epcot when it was a newer park? It had so much to offer; an interesting premise, lots of well-maintained popular rides, interesting food in some places, entertainment all over the park. The premise is diluted and a bit confusing now. Rides are often shuttered or poorly redesigned. The food is usually homogenized and mediocre. The entertainment has been cut. I see all of this as less value while prices have consistently gone up.

It's not just a case of finding "value" IMO. I suspect that those $100,000 cars are worth the money and have that value to their purchasers. That still doesn't mean that I will be able to enjoy that value by purchasing one of these cars. A business has to charge what the market will bear. Hence the discounts.

I do agree that we do still find enough value in the parks to pay the prices at this point. It's slipping though. Consider Epcot. Did anyone here see Epcot when it was a newer park? It had so much to offer; an interesting premise, lots of well-maintained popular rides, interesting food in some places, entertainment all over the park. The premise is diluted and a bit confusing now. Rides are often shuttered or poorly redesigned. The food is usually homogenized and mediocre. The entertainment has been cut. I see all of this as less value while prices have consistently gone up.

Agree, Epcot does not feel the same. Innovations are boring. WS merchandise not unique as it used to be. I can find same selection of tea in my local supermarket...for less. What is next, replacing WS merchandise with keychains?

And in planning our upcoming trip, I found out that in a five day period Fantasmic is offered only one time...didn't it used to be featured every night?

Just back second year in a row and 4 in total. The title of this thread is has Disney gone down hill in the last few years and I say the answer is a definite NO! I think people that make such comments are looking for something to complain about because if are looking to pick at every little thing you will find it anywhere. I think you have issues if you can't have the time of your life at Disney and should not return.

Personally, I think your opinion in which you expressed is just as frivolous as those who habitually complain about the littlest of things. To complain just to complain is pointless; and to blindly follow and accept the status quo when it is failing to meet it's self set high standards (as WDW has done and boasts) is also pointless.

Personally, I think your opinion in which you expressed is just as frivolous as those who habitually complain about the littlest of things. To complain just to complain is pointless; and to blindly follow and accept the status quo when it is failing to meet it's self set high standards (as WDW has done and boasts) is also pointless.
Not to mention complaining about complainers.

I wonder though, with all of you frequent guests, what will make you happy? Do you want new stuff? Better stuff? That will cost $$$, and so ticket prices may go up.

What I am getting at, is that with frequent trips, might come boredom. We are frequent guests, but don't really get bored of much at Disney. We still find stuff to do! We do take breaks from certain things, and don't do everything each trip either.

For us, there is less value in some areas, but we still feel that you get a lot of stuff for the money. Disney has always cut down on fireworks and such during slower periods, so I can't really comment on that, as we are always in WDW during the summer for 2 weeks, and we see stuff every night, with the exception of Fantasmic, as that has been dwindling the past few years. No biggie to us, as we don't think Fantasmic is all that great anyway.

I can compare Disney to when we first started going, and there are more parks, more resorts and more restaurants, so in that regard, there is more value for the dollar, on a grand scale, but on a micro scale, we do see maintenance and quality issues here and there.

So for me, I won't say Disney is going downhill because there aren't fireworks each night - it's more than that. I look at the bigger picture: ride maintenance, clean parks, resort management, restaurants, etc. There are so many facets to Disney, and I don't think it's fair to assess Disney in that way.

YMMV, Tiger

And in planning our upcoming trip, I found out that in a five day period Fantasmic is offered only one time...didn't it used to be featured every night?

From what I have seen. Fantasmic is only shown two nights a week now with one of those nights having 2 showings (sometimes). This was one the "cutbacks" that was a disappointed for us. DW and I and I loved Fantasmic and would see it every trip. We've seen it 5-6 times and haven't seen it in a few years now.

With Fantasmic showing only twice a week, those days at DHS are pretty crazy crowd wise now and we AVOID DHS on those days. :confused3 Oh well, we've seen it and it hasn't change so no loss.

Hi,

Sorry I just started a new thread when my post would probably fit here better.

I just got back from a very short notice suprise visit to Disneyworld for the weekend, just hubby and I. We had a great time and loved the weather and crowds at this time of your but I have one observation...... Background - I have been three times in the last three years and then there are quite a few not so frequent earlier trips over the last 20 years. I don't yet have trip fatigue and do something different each time as well as visit my favorites. These last three trips though the magic just doesn't seem the same and this time I nailed it down to the attitude of the cast members.......my observation is that the more of the CM just don't seem as happy and customer service friendly as they once were.

I don't know if it is because lot more of the cast members seem to be retirees and they are older and sorry to say this can be a little cochety, (sorry to generalize I really don't have anything against older people and would like to work there when I retire). While I generalized the older people it isn't just the older people. Hubby and I were in a store on Main Street browsing the goodies, it was pretty busy and we inadvertantly got in the way of a young CM with a cart on her way to stock some shelves and she was just pissy, we apologised but she just gave us the most awful look of disgust. This is just an example of what we experienced.

I know these are likely to be minimum wage jobs but haven't they always been minimum wage/entry level positions? Maybe the training isn't as good as it used to be or maybe the management isn't as good. The CM's at the gates, in the stores, at the restaurants don't seem as happy and perky as I once remember. To me their morale seemed low, it isn't eveyone but to me it's on the increase, yes they are doing their jobs but there are more that just seem to going through the motions and not adding to the Disney experience which is how CM's were to me and it was something I loved. Their enthusiasm made my trip even more enjoyable.

What is going on? Is anyone else of the same opinion? Am I wrong?

I wonder though, with all of you frequent guests, what will make you happy? Do you want new stuff? Better stuff? That will cost $$$, and so ticket prices may go up.

What I am getting at, is that with frequent trips, might come boredom. We are frequent guests, but don't really get bored of much at Disney. We still find stuff to do! We do take breaks from certain things, and don't do everything each trip either.

For us, there is less value in some areas, but we still feel that you get a lot of stuff for the money. Disney has always cut down on fireworks and such during slower periods, so I can't really comment on that, as we are always in WDW during the summer for 2 weeks, and we see stuff every night, with the exception of Fantasmic, as that has been dwindling the past few years. No biggie to us, as we don't think Fantasmic is all that great anyway.

I can compare Disney to when we first started going, and there are more parks, more resorts and more restaurants, so in that regard, there is more value for the dollar, on a grand scale, but on a micro scale, we do see maintenance and quality issues here and there.

So for me, I won't say Disney is going downhill because there aren't fireworks each night - it's more than that. I look at the bigger picture: ride maintenance, clean parks, resort management, restaurants, etc. There are so many facets to Disney, and I don't think it's fair to assess Disney in that way.

YMMV, Tiger

1. We're not bored or we wouldn't keep going.
2. Yes, there are more parks and more resorts. There seems to be less emphasis on keeping those 2 things clean.
3. Food quality has definitely gone down. There should also be a level for those who don't mind paying cash to get the quality of food that used to be available. It's gone from decent to Golden Corral-edible but not great quality.

1. We're not bored or we wouldn't keep going.
2. Yes, there are more parks and more resorts. There seems to be less emphasis on keeping those 2 things clean.
3. Food quality has definitely gone down. There should also be a level for those who don't mind paying cash to get the quality of food that used to be available. It's gone from decent to Golden Corral-edible but not great quality.

Yes, I agree with this. We went in Feb and purchased APs. We had an alright time but WDW lacked in the areas mentioned above plus the CMs at WL (my favorite resort) lacked at the front desk as well as housekeeping.

We are returning (reason for AP that we actually got before checking in) in Nov for the week after Thanksgiving-hope things are better or we will consider other options next year. Disney is something we have done for most years since 1976 as well.

YMMV, Tiger

I do not want to look for value and areas where it is STILL good, I want it to be good overall. Universal and Six Flags(again only parks I know) add rides all the time but they do not raise prices. Parks add rides/attractions to keep parks fresh. Disney raise prices every year and in addition it cuts in areas. I do not care about little things as well but there are cleaniness issues and resort management issues and food issues. I cannot justify hotel rates anymore, they just ridiculous. What I pay for and what I get just doesn't match anymore. I do not say Disney gone down hill but it definitely going there.

IMO Disney has changed their business model and has decided that there is more money to be made by focusing on quantity and less on quality.

Process as many guests as possible and you will make money. They even changed the chairs at Pecos Bill's so guests would sit for a shorter time.

There are fewer full time Cast Members and more outsourcing. All Cast Members when hired would attend "Traditions" a week long history lesson on Disney and the Disney way. I have been told that the class has been shortened and takes less than a day. :sad1:

:earsboy: Bill

Hi Goofy4Prez!!!:wave2:

Long time no see. Glad to see you pop in over here. Hope everyone is doing well.

Brunette:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter