• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you feel some threads try to make you inadequate??

Status
Not open for further replies.
nbodyhome said:
Only 1700? :) Mine is moissonite, just $300! My husband wasn't comfortable buying an American diamond due to the way they treat workers at diamond mines and such, so I looked online and found moissonite. It looks the same to me, and cost a lot less.

I'd rather spend more on memory-making events (like trips) than stuff. I am very proud to tell everyone about my $300 ring!

I don't know if I mentioned this, but it was really funny - when we got married in 2004, I bought roses for the wedding. My mom, a few days before the wedding, asked if I was sure I should spend the money on roses (I believe this was prompted by my sister, who had things to say previously about our photographer - of course, my sister spent like $1000 on her flowers!). I was like "is $30 too much for flowers? That pretty much shut her up. :) For $30 or $40, we had enough roses for the bouquet, and flowers for the tables (we only had about 50 people total). Sams Club is great! We got our cake and cupcakes there too.

That's awesome!! I've seen a lot of moissonite rings lately and they are really really pretty. HSN had some nice ones on last night.

You know..QVC has some REALLY nice wedding sets done in diamonique. When I got married, I just had a traditional wedding band, but I saw a really pretty ring on QVC and my husband ordered it for me. It was white gold with a large stone in the center and 2 on either side. It was beautiful and I got soooo many compliments on it! No one knew it wasn't made of real diamonds ;)

I also have some diamonique princess cut earrings and I get a ton of compliments on those as well. I had real diamond earrings that I got for xmas a few years ago, and guess what..I lost one!

Lorikr65 said:
I have to agree with the people who say you can give advice and not brag - it has been done so it can be done!! It's funny because you see threads like this and the same people post the same story each time!!

Exactly. I do have a feeling this is going to go the way of the "holier than thou" thread and be closed.

I am sorry for that, but when the same people say the same things you would think once it would click with to stop.

Truth Teller said:
Yes, I do feel like people here like to talk about how much they make, how much they have, etc. dvcgirl is one. I am so sick of hearing about how great she is doing when it hasn't been asked for.

Yes, she can be put on the ignore list, but why should she have to be? Does anyone really need to bring up in EVERY thread their portfolio? Then, say that they have nothing to be ashamed of and it's "just discussion".

We have a man in our town who is beyond wealthy. He owns pretty much the whole town, but you would never know it to look at him (or hear him speak). He doesn't brag or boast. He doesn't find a way to bring his income into every conversation.

You can't tell me that a person can't give advice without telling their whole financial history (over and over again).

I do think that the mods do a great job here. I also think that people need to reexamine what they post, why, and how often.

Wow...you went to the trouble to make a new account to blast one individual. The OP only was talking about the tone of people IN GENERAL...wow. :sad2:

I've always kind of felt that people who take offense to others' life choices or think that they're "made to feel inferior by what Mr./Mrs. X" does or has to say are overly invested in their own navel gazing (defined by the American Heritage Dictionary as "excessive introspection, self-absorption").

Do what you do, live your life and, to the extent that your choices don't impact others, don't worry so much about external validation. Outside approval doesn't feel as good as being secure internally, anyway.

Truth Teller said:
Yes and I like what I see.

I am only pointing out the person because everyone else is tip toeing around it.

I don't think the OP said she felt it about one individual (unless you are the OP?) but it is hard to discuss with you since you are using an alias.

tinker&belle said:
I don't think the OP said she felt it about one individual (unless you are the OP?) but it is hard to discuss with you since you are using an alias.

I know this isn't about one person, I said she was ONE of them. There are others, but she is here and can defend herself (the others aren't).

I think some people really don't understand that cable, cell, etc...ARE luxuries. Many of us grew up without any of these extra things. I sometimes take it for granted that these are "necessities" and they just plain aren't!

We could make an endless list of these items. We had 1 TV (black & white for a while) growing up, 1 vacation per year - camping, no dinners out, no extra-curricular sports, and on and on...... All these things we spend money on now are not "necessities", but they are things that many people include in their expenses (me included). I understand it completely, but pick & choose where I spend so I don't over do it.

I've never had one of my threads closed :sad2:

DVCgirl - I'm sorry you have no tolerance for people who aren't like you. I don't have credit card debt, I pay my bills on time, what else I have is noone's business. I dont' know how I rate on the US census because I never really cared or thought to find out - it doesn't matter to me. I don't have to compare myself to others because I love where I am right now, it fits like a glove. We watch guys that my husband works with compete for who will have the largest house - they're probably up to $750,000 - waste of time.

Truth Teller - I hear where you are coming from - you can only take so much!! Sorry I got you annoyed and "picked on"!! You were just speaking you mind which others are also doing.

For the record, I wasn't 'picking' on the person using this name, I was just shocked to see that someone made up a name to attack another diser...I'm backing away now... :grouphug: (I think we need it)

Ah, good! I know very few people who have a ring that cost less than mine did! You wouldn't believe how many needed to comment on that alone! Oh, and then there was my "cheap" wedding (according to DH's family). We spent less than $4,000 on the wedding and we had over 250 people come. We served a full buffet lunch, no alcohol.

I could go on and on.....but we are the ONLY remaining married couple of DH's six siblings (one hasn't married yet)! They are all divorced. Too much focus on money and appearances.

Good for you!,

Dawn

nbodyhome said:
Only 1700? :) Mine is moissonite, just $300! My husband wasn't comfortable buying an American diamond due to the way they treat workers at diamond mines and such, so I looked online and found moissonite. It looks the same to me, and cost a lot less.

I'd rather spend more on memory-making events (like trips) than stuff. I am very proud to tell everyone about my $300 ring!

I don't know if I mentioned this, but it was really funny - when we got married in 2004, I bought roses for the wedding. My mom, a few days before the wedding, asked if I was sure I should spend the money on roses (I believe this was prompted by my sister, who had things to say previously about our photographer - of course, my sister spent like $1000 on her flowers!). I was like "is $30 too much for flowers? That pretty much shut her up. :) For $30 or $40, we had enough roses for the bouquet, and flowers for the tables (we only had about 50 people total). Sams Club is great! We got our cake and cupcakes there too.

Lorikr65 said:
I've never had one of my threads closed :sad2:

Truth Teller - I hear where you are coming from - you can only take so much!! Sorry I got you annoyed and "picked on"!! You were just speaking you mind which others are also doing.

I am sorry that your thread is probably going to be closed. It always happens when this topic is brought up.

You didn't get me annoyed at all and I can handle anyone here. I don't measure myself against them.

Oh, and I am NOT the OP.

Truth Teller said:
I am sorry that your thread is probably going to be closed. It always happens when this topic is brought up.

You didn't get me annoyed at all and I can handle anyone here. I don't measure myself against them.

Oh, and I am NOT the OP.

If you were, that would mean I was talking to myself!!

You know, this may sound like I am a complete idiot....but I honestly didn't KNOW about such things when we were getting married. That was 12 years ago. I had never owned much jewelry in my life and had never shopped for it before....it was all given to me. If I had known I might have gone for it.....although we did have the money at the time. We were both working full time, no kids, etc...

Dawn

summerrluvv said:
Only $1,700? Pfft, who needs real diamonds, get a Diamonique..a ring is just a ring. What the ring symbolizes is what is important, not the rock itself ;) :teeth:

Ok, I want to know.....where can I find this census rating of how much people make?

Dawn

Never mind, I found it:

How much income does it take to be in the top 20%, in the top 5%?
If your household income before taxes in 2002 was $84,016 or higher, you were in the top 20% of the nation's households.
If your household income in 2002 was $150,002 or higher, you were in the top 5%.

Below is a table showing the income limits for each quintile (fifth) of the nation's households in 2002.

Quintile Yearly Income Range in 2001
Lowest $0 - $13,478
Second $13,478 - $25,847
Third $25,847 - $44,451
Fourth $44,451 - $79,562
Highest $79,562 and higher
Top 5% $162,351 and higher
Top 1% $383,407 and higher
Top .5% $581,019 and higher
Top 400 ind. $87 million and higher

I just wanted to add that I was not even thinking of anyone on this thread when I posted. I was thinking about people I know, decisions they've made and lifestyles they maintain and their perceptions of me based on those same topics.

I think I've learned and thought about a ton of things that people have discussed on this board and have never looked at any of them with disdain.

branv said:
Why does this same kind of post pop up every few months? I have to tell you, I rarely see anyone "rubbing anyones noses" in their wealth/savings. Half the time, when they share their means, it was because the post ASKED for people to share. They don't start a post saying "haha, look what a financial genius I am!"

I have spent alot of time over the years on boards, and am amazed at how oversensitive some people are. For instance, I was once on a wedding board when I was planning my wedding. I was talking about the plans I was making, and shared that a relative had suggested to me using fake flowers. I then said in the post that I would never use fake flowers because I don't like them. Suddenly, I'm getting responses about how I'm looking down on people who like fake flowers. Now I'm a snob against all those poor souls who can't afford real flowers for their wedding. Excuse me? I never said anything like "anyone who uses fake flowers is tacky" all I said was that I,Me, myself do not like fake flowers. I think it's the height of insecurity and self absorption when someone assumes that anothers choices, personal opinions or tastes are somehow in existence just to make them look or feel bad. I've seen on here over and over again that someone can't state their opinion simply without it somehow being an intentional slam on someone else.

If someone says, "I would never take a vacation unless I had the money in advance." That does not mean someone else is slime for doing so. It means that's their personal choice and opinion. But woo-hoo, watch a bunch of people get their knickers in a twist anyway.

It was already said on here and I'll say it again...no one can make someone feel inferior without your permission. I wish more people would take responsibility for their own feelings instead of assuming people are out there just to make them feel bad. And half the time I think when they DO get defensive it's because they know their doing something that isn't in their own best interests..if their convictions were so strong on the matter, why would they care what some stranger thinks about it?

In my case, my DH works, and I go to school full time. I don't have children, and yet I'm not working! *gasp* oh the horror! What a slacker I am, that I don't work and go to school at the same time. I know there are some on here who would think I should work as well, but it's a personal decision that works for me and my DH. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. But if I come on here talking about how I can't pay a bill, and I really want to know how to afford to go to WDW, then I SHOULD expect someone to offer a suggestion that they think I should get a job...and not spend money I don't have. This is a bulletin board, not a private support group, if people don't want to hear any suggestion that might come their way, they shouldn't ask for opinions. If someone feels insecure reading about how others make more money or save more, then don't read posts titled, "how much savings do you have". The only way anyone can survive the society of a bulletin board is to take responsibility for their own feelings, be ready for anything (Esp. when you ask an opinion), and if you have to, move on to the next topic.

Very well said. :sunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter