• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you feel some threads try to make you inadequate??

Status
Not open for further replies.
DawnM said:
Ah, good! I know very few people who have a ring that cost less than mine did! You wouldn't believe how many needed to comment on that alone! Oh, and then there was my "cheap" wedding (according to DH's family). We spent less than $4,000 on the wedding and we had over 250 people come. We served a full buffet lunch, no alcohol.

I don't know many people who have a less expensive ring than mine, either. :)

I am really surprised that anyone would comment on your ring! I wouldn't care as far as mine - I am proud to say how cheap it was. It looks like a diamond, is just about as hard as a diamond, etc. I am actually more sensitive to people saying that I spent too much on something, not too little.

That is great on your wedding! Including the photography, ours may have been closer to $3000. But it was a great wedding, on a farm (they do weddings and other events there) and also included us staying one night in the apartment loft of their barn (set up for couples). I bought my wedding dress on Ebay for like $75. I'd thought about doing the wedding ourselves, but this ended up being easier.

As far as the whole thread - I would guess that most people here are middle to upper middle class, that is now where I'd fit in. But a couple of years ago, I was only earning about $10,000 a year and having to live on that. Then again, my expenses were much lower too (I had a roommate who was thrifty, which helped). There wasn't much to save, though.

DawnM said:
Ok, I want to know.....where can I find this census rating of how much people make?

Dawn

Never mind, I found it:

How much income does it take to be in the top 20%, in the top 5%?
If your household income before taxes in 2002 was $84,016 or higher, you were in the top 20% of the nation's households.
If your household income in 2002 was $150,002 or higher, you were in the top 5%.

Below is a table showing the income limits for each quintile (fifth) of the nation's households in 2002.

Quintile Yearly Income Range in 2001
Lowest $0 - $13,478
Second $13,478 - $25,847
Third $25,847 - $44,451
Fourth $44,451 - $79,562
Highest $79,562 and higher
Top 5% $162,351 and higher
Top 1% $383,407 and higher
Top .5% $581,019 and higher
Top 400 ind. $87 million and higher

Dang, Now should I feel inadequate because we are not in the top .5% of income? :rotfl2:
Some of these posts are down right ridiculous, especially since it is a forum with a lot of different views, economical backgrounds and educational opportunities.

Where's the link for the earnings report?

I would like to know where we stand - I'm curious.

tinker&belle said:
For the record, I wasn't 'picking' on the person using this name, I was just shocked to see that someone made up a name to attack another diser...I'm backing away now... :grouphug: (I think we need it)

Me too! I all of a sudden started to get scared about being thrown off the Disboards or worse, being in Dis purgatory.

There's no need for calling names. Anyone who's been on this board for any length of time knows who can be obnoxious at times. Everyone that is, but them. Either they don't see if or don't care. Regardless, calling people out probably isn't the best way of expressing your feelings.

After reading that census, I have one last thought on this subject. Anyone who makes over a 1/2 million dollars a year, should have a lot of money in savings & retirement. Credit card debt shouldn't be a problem either. There's nothing the least bit impressive about them being able to do this. The person who makes $30,000 a year & is able to accomplish these things is the one to be impressed by. :teeth:

nbodyhome said:
Only 1700? :) Mine is moissonite, just $300! My husband wasn't comfortable buying an American diamond due to the way they treat workers at diamond mines and such, so I looked online and found moissonite. It looks the same to me, and cost a lot less.

I had a geography clas years ago and my professor did all his research in Africa so we spent the bulk of the semester on that continent. If I took nothing else away from that class, I have a WHOLE new opinion of diamonds . . . and it isn't a good one. For one, if I ever go diamond shopping it'll be for "clean" diamonds. The horror stories about rebels and the atrocities that happen to the people in these countries over the diamond mines. . . I couldn't live with myself for contributing to that! And then take the actual value of a diamond. . . artificially inflated. VERY inflated. According to this professor, the De Beers corporation (actually not affiliated with the stores) owns the large percentage of diamond mines and therefore control how many diamonds make it into the market. If they'd just release what they have in vaults, we're not even talking about what's still left to be mined, the value of a diamond would be about the same as cubic zirconia.

So good for you and your hubby!! So few people know or care about the story connected to those rocks.

Truth Teller said:
Yes and I like what I see.

I am only pointing out the person because everyone else is tip toeing around it.

How about you do everyone a favor and not try to speak for anyone but yourself. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be lumped in with you as green is just not my color.

And while you're looking in the mirror, why don't you turn around and check out that yellow stripe.

I have just spent the last 6 years digging myself out of debt because my son was very sick and we had huge medical bills. When I finally thought we were in the clear financially my mother became ill and I am trying to pay her bills and my bills. Back in the hole I go.

I don't know if some of the threads are made to make people feel inadequate. Do they make me feel inadequate? Never! My son beat the odds and is still alive. My mother is still alive even though she has been in an ICU unit for months. I have a great husband and supportive friends. My family always has enough to eat, gas, electric, etc.

This thread has been nasty at times and I don't understand why. Instead of looking at what I don't have I try to look at what I do have. I know far too many people who spend their whole life basing their happiness and worth on how much money they make or don't make. There is a lot more to life than money.

*puts on flame resistant suit*

WOW! Spend a few hours having dinner with the in-laws, going to church, and watching some real QUALITY programming (The Ultimate Coyote - if you don't know, you don't want to. :blush: ), and I get on to find THIS!!! Things have really gone down hill since this afternoon, haven't they?

Does anyone think that there is ANY chance of this thread getting back to being a reasonable discussion? Does anyone want to try?

BethR said:
WOW! Spend a few hours having dinner with the in-laws, going to church, and watching some real QUALITY programming (The Ultimate Coyote - if you don't know, you don't want to. :blush: ), and I get on to find THIS!!! Things have really gone down hill since this afternoon, haven't they?

Now, I just have to know. What is The Ultimate Coyote? I'm assuming you're not referring to your MIL as a vicious animal who eats people alive. :rotfl:

tarheelmjfan said:
I'm assuming you're not referring to your MIL as a vicious animal who eats people alive. :rotfl:

:lmao: Sprite almost through the nose..... :rotfl:

Yes, do tell about this Ultimate Coyote...

tarheelmjfan said:
Now, I just have to know. What is The Ultimate Coyote? I'm assuming you're not referring to your MIL as a vicious animal who eats people alive. :rotfl:

:rotfl: Well, DMIL can have a very sharp tongue, but hasn't yet eaten anyone alive. :teeth:

The Ultimate Coyote is a reality contest thing - like the model thing or the Apprentice - but it is essentially a search for new girls for the Coyote Ugly Bars. And the one who is the winner is "The Ultimate Coyote."

See, I told you you didn't want to know! :dance3:

BethR said:
:rotfl: Well, DMIL can have a very sharp tongue, but hasn't yet eaten anyone alive. :teeth:

The Ultimate Coyote is a reality contest thing - like the model thing or the Apprentice - but it is essentially a search for new girls for the Coyote Ugly Bars. And the one who is the winner is "The Ultimate Coyote."

What channel is that on? I love reality shows LOL

I think the Ultimate Coyote is a reality type show where women compete for a job at a Coyote Ugly bar. I've never seen it, but some friends were talking about it once.

I guess I need to type faster. Sorry about that!

BethR said:

Soooo. . . the girls that aren't the "ultimate" coyote. . . do they feel inadequate?

Bad joke I know. . . someone slap me, the lack of sleep this week is finally getting to me.

MyGoofy26 said:
Soooo. . . the girls that aren't the "ultimate" coyote. . . do they feel inadequate?

VERY Good, Carrie! : :rotfl2:

Now, do you all think that it is safe for me to go to bed, or should I just put this thread to bed?

BethR said:
Now, do you all think that it is safe for me to go to bed, or should I just put this thread to bed?

I don't know. There's a Coyote Ugly in Ybor City, not far enough away from here. Since you seem to be an expert in the field, we may need to call on you to keep the predators at bay, when the ladies do their thing. :rotfl2:

BethR said:
Does anyone think that there is ANY chance of this thread getting back to being a reasonable discussion? Does anyone want to try?

Why are Truth Teller's posts being tolerated? Is this not a clear violation of DIS posting guidelines WRT personal attacks?

By the way, this person couldn't have provided a clearer illustration about what I was talking about earlier. This is just not a very nice place to be anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter