• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you ever skip a park?

We are skipping AK this year. I've done a half day every other trip but this time just totally decided against it and we are doing a waterpark instead.

We wouldn't dream of skipping HS. We are all Star Wars buffs. I went to SWW last year without my daughter! Plus tower of terror is her favorite ride and we are highlu competitive family so we go nuts on Toy Story Mania.

I'm going soon with my 3 yo and I plan to do one AK/EP split day and two MK days. We were just at WDW last fall and I think there are more things he will enjoy at AK and EP than HS.

We skipped AK on our last trip, which was 8 days. There just wasn't enough for a 2 1/2 year old to justify going there. We'll do a half day at AK next month since she'll be tall enough for Kali and Dinosaur.

If your DD is more into animals and MK then yes, skip DHS.

Yes, she is more into animals.

The only rides she will be able to do is Great Movie Ride (which can be frightening for a small child), TSM (join the marathon at RD for a FP or risk waiting hours in line) and the backlot tour (which our DNiece and Dnephew proclaimed "boring") She will likely be too short for TOT, RNR and ST2.

She is tall enough to do all those rides, however, I don't think she is emotionally ready for them. She gets frightened of scary things (like the dark, spooky sounds etc.). I was thinking she may be bored with everything else and since the trip is primarily to celebrate her birthday (turning 5 in the park) I want to make it the best experience for her.

She may enjoy the Beauty and the Beast show and the Little Mermaid show, however, with the new Fantasyland attractions, these attractions may be a little less attractive (sorry for that...it's been a long day!) if you don't have park hoppers, it's probably not worth it to spend a day here for the Disney Jr show and to meet characters. There are a few characters at DHS that you won't find in the other parks, but it is worth it? Probably not! have a great trip! Your DD will love BBB and CTR!

We've seen the Beauty & the Beast Broadway performance several months ago and it took her a while to really get into it. She was fidgety the whole time and wanted to leave half way through. I'm certain she would do the same again. That was my dilemma, there are soooo many shows that seem great, but just won't work for her personality. I would love to see the Ariel show, however, she has never seen the movie and only knows Ariel as a bath time toy. Thanks Disney Vault! lol.

Everything I've read has said it's not worth the extra expense of Park Hoppers if this is your first visit. I think we may be slightly overwhelmed with all the parks have to offer. I grew up going to DisneyLand, but from what I've been told, WDW is a million times more awesome.

I can't wait to take her to BBB and CRT! I will probably be crying! Need to add waterproof mascara to my packing list!

not intentionally.... in 2011 i was at AK and got sick around 11am and left...really saw only Lion King show...and was sick for about 4 days so i never got back....

It's all about what you want to do. If you plan on going back, skipping a park is not a bad thing, but if you don't know if or when you may be back I would try to do them all. HS does have, IMO, some of the best thrill rides at DW, but if that's not your thing then skipping might not be too bad. I am headed down in sept and will be spending our entire trip at MK, but we go every year so skipping a park is no big deal. Just do what you think is best for you.

I would like to plan a trip back...but I guess that depends on how the first visit goes. lol!

We are not huge thrill seekers and enjoy relaxing and dining out on vacation. We have been all inclusive resort & cruisers for a long time with an annual family beach trip and mountains trip so one or two of those would have to go in order to fit in WDW again.

We are considering skipping Epcot this year. I don't think my kids will be into it at all, and DH isn't interested in going there. I think you should do whatever fits your family. We love HS, but my boys are into Star Wars, Toy Story, RnR, and Indiana Jones, so it suits us. :)

If its your first time, do you really wan to go to MK 3 times and miss a whole park? I would consider swapping out that last MK for HS.

Well, the first day we will arrive to the park around noon and since she has no idea we are taking her to WDW (which she associates primarily with "the Castle") I'm sure that will be the first thing she will want to see. The second day is a full day at MK because it's her bday and I have BBB & CRT and several other special things lined up to make her feel like a Princess on her special day. Turning 5 is kind of a big deal. lol

The last day I'm sure she will want to go to MK and just enjoy the castle and her favorite characters.

There is lots of good shows at HS (Fantasmic, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones). Also there are great character meet and greets there as well as some great rides!

That was one of the reasons why I keep going back and forth on skipping HS or not. I would enjoy the shows...my DD would be antsy/fidgety and the hubs has no interest in them an is not a (wait for it) Star Wars fan. She is tall enough to ride most everything, but knowing her personality, she would be terrified. Maybe in a couple of years she will be ready for it (emotionally).

Just missing the whole experience of HS I wouldnt risk on my first time.

--Thor

I wish we had more time there...

OP, is you daughter really into animals?

Yes, she looooves animals. I really think she would enjoy the safari and the Affection section. She's also really into Dinosaurs & Bones (we took a trip for her birthday last year to see Dinosaur Bones) and I think she will love that section of AK. It's also the only place to meet Pocahontas (which she is obsessed with).

If not, I would go to DHS. There are not a lot of rides in either park, but if she likes princesses and Disney Junior, she will find plenty of things to do at DHS. DHS has a ton of great character meets that can't be found in any other park, as well. DHS has always been my kids' second favorite park and we have gone every year since they were 2 and 4 (now 8 and 10). I would thoroughly research each attraction at both parks and make a list of what she would like. My guess is that your list for DHS will be much, much longer. Happy planning! :goodvibes

She also loves Disney Junior Characters. I've researched and looked at both parks. What are your kids favorites? What are the favorites for dining? My DD is 4 and will turn 5 during our trip. This trip is to celebrate her birthday soI want it to be special, memorable and perfect for her! :)

With DS aged 7 we went 1 st time and skipped HS. We looked at the options and decided together. We both actually enjoyed Epcot and of course MK. We have an animal park close by and it was August so AK wasn't our favorite except we both loved Lion King. I'm not much for thrill rides but I think next time ill have to do some with DS as he is getting to like them :(
Depending on heat/crowd index and if you have a good zoo near home you can swap Ak and HS. Some people of course love each one and think each is full day- I've never been to HS (prev trips were over 20 years ago) so I can't say.

We will be going in April (supposed to be 70's/80's) and we do not have a Zoo close by. She is really into animals so I guess we will stick with that.

:)

IMO, you are doing the correct thing for a 3-year-old.

Aside from shows, the only thing she may enjoy is Toy Story Mania. With the typical waits for that particular ride, it probably would not be worth it for a child her age.

Having recent experience with my preshool grandchildren at WDW, I think your plan looks great.

Enjoy your trip and don't fret about missing HS. It will be there when your DD is older.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using DISBoards

I think she would enjoy TSM but not much else. She will be 5 and is tall enough for the thrill rides...but she's not emotionally ready for that. She would be terrified!

I think I'll stick with the touring plan and not tweak it. I wish we had more time, but if we like it, perhaps we will go back and add HS to our list. :)

Yes, she looooves animals. I really think she would enjoy the safari and the Affection section. She's also really into Dinosaurs & Bones (we took a trip for her birthday last year to see Dinosaur Bones) and I think she will love that section of AK. It's also the only place to meet Pocahontas (which she is obsessed with).

She also loves Disney Junior Characters. I've researched and looked at both parks. What are your kids favorites? What are the favorites for dining? My DD is 4 and will turn 5 during our trip. This trip is to celebrate her birthday soI want it to be special, memorable and perfect for her! :)

In AK, my kids do the safari, Kali River Rapids, Triceratops Spin (identical ride setup as Aladdin's carpets in MK). They like the Lion King show and Nemo, but they both think the Nemo show is a bit too long. We've only done the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch one time. That is where we met Pocahontas. Both kids agreed that there wasn't a reason to do it again. My kids like animals, but not overly so. We have been to many zoos and the Cincy zoo is nearby with much better and closer animal viewing, so the kids don't like to do the trails because they can do that at home. They also like the parade. Last year the only characters we met at AK were Russel and Dugg.

At DHS, they do..

The Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast stage show (this is good because it is outside and if you sit toward the back then your daughter can walk around a bit and not have to stay still)
Disney Junior Live (you sit on the floor and kids can get up and dance, so not very structured in terms of having to sit still)
Disney Junior EMH dance party (only available during PM EMH-awesome event)
Fantasmic!
Animation academy
Lights Motor Action
HISTA playground (great for letting kids burn off some energy)
Muppetvision 3D (we do this more than once a day)
Backlot Tour
Pixar Parade (ends on April 6th, though)
Disney Channel Rocks (also ending April 6th)
Toy Story Midway Mania
The Great Movie Ride
Star Tours (even though they have never seen the movies, they LOVED the ride)

Character meet and greets...

Disney Junior characters
Phineas and Ferb
Buzz and Woody (the queue has 4 or 5 GREAT photo spots, too)
Monsters, Inc.
members of the Fab 5 in their Hollywood attire
Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope
The Incredibles
Sorcerer Mickey
Characterpalooza (last year we saw Pocahontas and Meeko there)

Those are just the things I can think of at the moment. There might be more that I'm missing. :goodvibes

For food, we eat at Pizza Planet and the ABC commisary at DHS. At AK, we usually do Pizzafari. We are one of those oddball families that actually loves Disney's pizza. :rotfl:

If you are looking for TS meals, Hollywood and Vine does a Disney Junior breakfast that is good. We've never had a TS at AK, but most people like Tusker House.

Hope that helps. :goodvibes

I think she would enjoy TSM but not much else. She will be 5 and is tall enough for the thrill rides...but she's not emotionally ready for that. She would be terrified!

I think I'll stick with the touring plan and not tweak it. I wish we had more time, but if we like it, perhaps we will go back and add HS to our list. :)

You are making the right call. When my girls were 3 and 6, they hated it. Next trip they were 12 and 9. Except for my older one, who loved RNR and TOT, they didn't love anything there (they thought TSM was ok). Trust your instincts.

We either do only a half day at AK or skip it entirely. We are just not big fans of that park save for a few of the attractions....
That's us, too.
In AK, my kids do the safari, Kali River Rapids, Triceratops Spin (identical ride setup as Aladdin's carpets in MK). They like the Lion King show and Nemo, but they both think the Nemo show is a bit too long. We've only done the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch one time. That is where we met Pocahontas. Both kids agreed that there wasn't a reason to do it again. My kids like animals, but not overly so. We have been to many zoos and the Cincy zoo is nearby with much better and closer animal viewing, so the kids don't like to do the trails because they can do that at home. They also like the parade. Last year the only characters we met at AK were Russel and Dugg.

At DHS, they do..

The Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast stage show (this is good because it is outside and if you sit toward the back then your daughter can walk around a bit and not have to stay still)
Disney Junior Live (you sit on the floor and kids can get up and dance, so not very structured in terms of having to sit still)
Disney Junior EMH dance party (only available during PM EMH-awesome event)
Fantasmic!
Animation academy
Lights Motor Action
HISTA playground (great for letting kids burn off some energy)
Muppetvision 3D (we do this more than once a day)
Backlot Tour
Pixar Parade (ends on April 6th, though)
Disney Channel Rocks (also ending April 6th)
Toy Story Midway Mania
The Great Movie Ride
Star Tours (even though they have never seen the movies, they LOVED the ride)

Character meet and greets...

Disney Junior characters
Phineas and Ferb
Buzz and Woody (the queue has 4 or 5 GREAT photo spots, too)
Monsters, Inc.
members of the Fab 5 in their Hollywood attire
Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope
The Incredibles
Sorcerer Mickey
Characterpalooza (last year we saw Pocahontas and Meeko there)

Those are just the things I can think of at the moment. There might be more that I'm missing. :goodvibes

For food, we eat at Pizza Planet and the ABC commisary at DHS. At AK, we usually do Pizzafari. We are one of those oddball families that actually loves Disney's pizza. :rotfl:

If you are looking for TS meals, Hollywood and Vine does a Disney Junior breakfast that is good. We've never had a TS at AK, but most people like Tusker House.

Hope that helps. :goodvibes
Smitch, I swear that we are kindred. My husband and I actually look forward to Disney pizza at least once on our trips.

We skip Animal Kingdom. I have never really cared for the park and my husband knew that. The first time my husband and I went was when we were dating. A group of friends all decided to go between college semesters. We had a blast at MK, Epcot, and MGM (because it was still MGM). For our honeymoon, my husband had always wanted to go to WDW, so who was I to argue?:goodvibes He told me that he wanted to go to Animal Kingdom since he had never been before. We went there our first day, and were there for maybe an hour before he goes, "Is this really it? I expected so much more from Disney." We left after about 2 hours and headed to DHS. We even had a running joke at our house whenever we had to do something we hated. He would say, "Just think - you could be at Animal Kingdom right now". Now, we really don't hate Animal Kingdom, but we don't want to waste time there when there is so much more that we enjoy at the other three parks.

Well, we were planning our large family trip this past December and I knew that my parents wanted to go to Animal Kingdom. I decided to have a different attitude since I was worried that my feelings for Animal Kingdom influenced my husband's. This go round, I was telling him all about the great stuff at Animal Kingdom that he hadn't done. He even started to get excited about the safari, Festival of the Lion King, Pangani, and Kali. Unfortunately, it was too cold for Kali. He did like the safari, FOTLK, and EE, but wasn't a fan of Pangani. He also like Dinosaur. Unfortunately, he still doesn't really care for Animal Kingdom. We won't be going at all during our June trip and are talking about going for a half day in January if the weather is nice enough to try Kali. Otherwise, it just isn't for us. At least, not with the other parks so close by. Now if Animal Kingdom was located an hour from our house, we would likely be there every weekend. We just feel Disney could do better with the animals and get away from this "Nahtazu" junk and make it "Disney does a zoo". I know that they could knock it out of the park.

It might be noteworthy that I am clearly the odd duck of the board, though. DHS has been my favorite park since I was 8 years old and Great Movie Ride has always been my favorite ride. My husband is equally odd in that he has loved Epcot since he was a little boy because of all of the math and science and learning that went on.

She is tall enough to do all those rides, however, I don't think she is emotionally ready for them. She gets frightened of scary things (like the dark, spooky sounds etc.). I was thinking she may be bored with everything else and since the trip is primarily to celebrate her birthday (turning 5 in the park) I want to make it the best experience for her.

This sounds exactly like my daughter and it's why we're skipping HS next time. Figure we'll try again in a few years when she might be ready for more of the big attractions but right now, it's not worth it. MK/AK is more her speed.

Yes, she is more into animals.

She is tall enough to do all those rides, however, I don't think she is emotionally ready for them. She gets frightened of scary things (like the dark, spooky sounds etc.).

I can't wait to take her to BBB and CRT! I will probably be crying! Need to add waterproof mascara to my packing list!

It's Tough to Be a Bug might be a scary thing at AK just as an FYI. My DD1 (7 rs old) loves Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, etc but was scared out of her wits at ITTBAB.

BBB and CRT are awesome. Both of my girls did birthday makeovers and then got to meet their favorites dressed up as them. Special memories for sure.

We have frequently skipped AK. It seems to be our least favorite park.

We now skip AK. We tried it three times and each time had a worse experience than the last.

We are going for 6 days this summer. I've left AKL for the last day and we may skip it altogether if the rest of the family would rather revisit another park. There never seems to be enough time to see all 4 parks in one trip the way I'd like to :confused3 Just another reason to come back, I guess!

It's Tough to Be a Bug might be a scary thing at AK just as an FYI. My DD1 (7 rs old) loves Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, etc but was scared out of her wits at ITTBAB.

BBB and CRT are awesome. Both of my girls did birthday makeovers and then got to meet their favorites dressed up as them. Special memories for sure.

Thanks for the heads up on It's Tough to Be a Bug. She hasn't seen A Bugs's Life but she does like Miss Spider's Sunny Patch. I'll research that a little bit more. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter