Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

For the trip back to the airport, the luggage check stand in the resort is part of the airline system, not part of the Disney system, so the airlines are responsible for claims.

For the trip to Disney, the DME luggage handling is part of the Disney system. Of course Disney wants to deny as many claims as possible and formally disallowing non-DME guests' use of the luggage service allows a chunk of those claims to be denied quickly.

However once the yellow tagged luggage gets to Orlando, it is easier for DME to deliver it all to the resorts instead of recull that belonging to non-DME guests and leaving it behind.

I may still need more coffee this morning, but for the life of me, I can't see what you're saying here. What in heaven's name would non-Disney guest luggage have to do with anything?
HH is correct....luggage handling for DME is going to be costly. The handling of tagged bags goes through several different areas..which means each bag gets 'touched' by several different pairs of hands..which in turn means more payroll..somewhere down the line. It takes more than one person to process the bags for up to 40+ guests (the number of guests on a bus at any given time), but only one person to drive the bus with those guests on it.

As far as claims go...sure, this is the sticking point with not riding the bus but sending your bags with DME. If you don't check in at the DME counter (or CM by the line), DME has no idea you are there, they aren't 'looking' for your bags. Yes, they will move every yellow tagged bag that comes through. Each bag is supposed to be scanned at several points. Now, when you get to DME checkin, they will ask you how many bags you checked...yes, I have been asked that when bypassing the counter line. So...you tell them you have 5 checked bags. They imput it into the system..at least that's what it looks like they're doing to me. As your bags come through the 'system', each one is scanned and it shows as arrived in the system. If only 4 bags get scanned, out of your 5, they will know that one is missing. Now....this may not happen, it is just how I have been told it works. So, now they are looking for that one missing bag.
But...if you don't check in, and your 5th bag doesn't show up..how the heck do you suppose DME is going to realize you are missing a bag??? So, the only way it will become obvious is when you get to your room, possibly many hours later, and realize you are missing a bag. If you go to the resort, checkin and then head to a park, you won't know until very late that a bag has not made it to your room.
Does this happen often? No. I think many bags are delayed due to airline handling, but the guest hangs the blame on DME being late with baggage delivery. If they get a bag or two late, they tend to think DME just didn't handle the baggage quickly enough, when it may very well have been that the airline delayed, or misdirected, those bags.

I may still need more coffee this morning, but for the life of me, I can't see what you're saying here. What in heaven's name would non-Disney guest luggage have to do with anything? .
Arriving guests may stop at the food court or otherwise dilly dally on their way to the DME welcoming area. So, in order to get the luggage in general to the rooms more quickly, the step of verifying that each party has checked in prior to loading its yellow tagged luggage on the trucks is either complex or omitted.

Yes, it is wonderful guest relations to go ahead and deliver the luggage of non-DME guests to the rooms when it found its way into the DME luggage stream.

I have no issue at all with renting a car. I prefer to do it at WDW but that's my choice.
The one thing I will take issue with, in your report, is that DME allows luggage only service back to the airport where they don't from the airport to the resort. That's not true. RAC is an entirely different service than DME. DME doesn't provide luggage transfer from resort to airport. You take your bags with you, they are stored under your bus..that's as far as Disney goes. If you use the RAC system (checking bags at your resort for your return home flight) you are using a completely different service, not tied in with DME at all. Yes, they wear DME outfits but they aren't DME. RAC is actually curbside service...provided by various airlines.

So what is your main reason for renting a car? Is it the time-saving?

Yes, I realize that DME and RAC are 2 different things, but I meant it in the big-picture way. Some Disney person (outsourced or not :laughing:) takes just your luggage upon departure, but won't "officially" take just your luggage upon arrival. As a customer-service process that just doesn't make sense. It is confusing and against common-sense.

Arriving guests may stop at the food court or otherwise dilly dally on their way to the DME welcoming area. So, in order to get the luggage in general to the rooms more quickly, the step of verifying that each party has checked in prior to loading its yellow tagged luggage on the trucks is either complex or omitted.

Yes, it is wonderful guest relations to go ahead and deliver the luggage of non-DME guests to the rooms when it found its way into the DME luggage stream.
Sorry Alan...I misunderstood, sort of anyway. Thought you were saying guests that weren't going to WDW. Really need more coffee in the morning. In any case, the baggage handlers don't wait until someone is checked in before they start handling the bags. The bags get scanned as they come along...and then get scanned several more times. Each scan, to the best of my knowledge, is logged somewhere so that CMs can tell if bags have arrived yet. Then, once the guest checks in at the DME area, and gives the number of bags checked, the system can be checked to see if all 4 of the listed bags per the guest, have arrived, later on.

So what is your main reason for renting a car? Is it the time-saving?

Yes, I realize that DME and RAC are 2 different things, but I meant it in the big-picture way. Some Disney person (outsourced or not :laughing:) takes just your luggage upon departure, but won't "officially" take just your luggage upon arrival. As a customer-service process that just doesn't make sense. It is confusing and against common-sense.
When I say rent a car at WDW, I mean that I prefer to rent onsite at WDW vs MCO, for the most part. I don't usually rent a car unless I am heading someplace at the end of my trip, or am coming from someplace else to start the WDW stay.

DME baggage handlers will take your bags even if you aren't riding the bus. That isn't the issue. The issue is that Disney wants you, the guest, on their bus. They don't want you renting a car. I realize that some think that many, many people rent cars there and Disney doesn't care. But, they do. If you ride the bus, to your resort, there is no reason to believe you will be tempted to go off-site to US/IoA, or SW or to eat at the nearest Appleby's. And yes, that is exactly what happens when guests rent cars. They see the huge crowds at MK and say 'Oh the heck with it today. Let's head over to SW for the day.' I've seen it happen. Even I almost used the Mears shuttle last Dec to get to US/IoA rather than deal with the crowds in Dec!!! Disney doesn't want to make it easy for you to spend your vacation dollars elsewhere in Orlando. Believe me...Disney is not providing DME as a wonderful thing to be nice to it's guests. That's not the way Disney does business. They are paying for each person that uses DME. It is not free for them to run shuttle buses to and from MCO. The airport charges them to park buses there. But, that's neither here nor there regarding baggage only.
Disney/DME will move your bags even if you aren't on the bus. They would prefer you to be on the bus, but as of this moment, there isn't anything that will stop you from doing this.

The issue is that Disney wants you, the guest, on their bus. They don't want you renting a car. I realize that some think that many, many people rent cars there and Disney doesn't care. But, they do. If you ride the bus, to your resort, there is no reason to believe you will be tempted to go off-site to US/IoA, or SW or to eat at the nearest Appleby's. And yes, that is exactly what happens when guests rent cars. They see the huge crowds at MK and say 'Oh the heck with it today. Let's head over to SW for the day.' I've seen it happen. Even I almost used the Mears shuttle last Dec to get to US/IoA rather than deal with the crowds in Dec!!! Disney doesn't want to make it easy for you to spend your vacation dollars elsewhere in Orlando.

I think I went to US in California once in the 1970's and once to SW in the 1980's. Never eaten at Appleby's. I am a Disney fan, all other parks pale in comparison and hold no interest for me. During my last trip, my husband said, Why would I eat at Steak & Shake if I can eat at Wolfgang Puck Express! And my husband is NOT a Disney fan, just a DH. :rolleyes1 I come to immerse in Disney and de-stress. My non-Disney fan DH is trying to convince me to return at Christmas. My first response was, "you do know the parks will be mobbed!" His response was, "I don't care. Couldn't we just walk around and soak in the ambience!"

Also, it was not lost on me that on my last trip, my husband's 4 day park-hopper-and-water-parks ticket was within a couple dollars of my 10 day park-hopper-and-water-parks ticket. If I already have 10 days included in my ticket why would I shell out a big bundle of money to go to US or SW for 1 day? Have you seen their tix prices!! I would prefer spending the cash on a meal at Victoria & Alberts instead. :yay:

I rent a car because it allows me to do more things at Disney, not to go off-property. I would think Disney knows there are many people like me.:cloud9:

And I'm sure there plenty of others like you. I also love immersing myself in WDW when I'm there. But, there are plenty of others who like to go offisite. There are plenty of people that don't care for the restaurants in DTD or the 'nicer' spots within the confines of WDW. Eating at WDW is one of my dh's favorite things to do. He is not an attractions kind of guy. He goes to WDW to humor me and our dd.
But, believe me...Disney realizes that many, many guests who rent cars go off site to eat and to shop. There are a ton of posts asking about nearby grocery stores and WalMarts.
DME is never going to work for everyone. It is not ever going to be perfect. It is what it is...a very good service for which we, the guest, pay nothing out of pocket for. THe cost of DME is all bound up in room rates...everyone is paying a small amount towards things like DME.

But, believe me...Disney realizes that many, many guests who rent cars go off site to eat and to shop. There are a ton of posts asking about nearby grocery stores and WalMarts.

And I know where most of them are. In 40+ trips to WDW we have only been totally without a car for 2 of them - and we will be for our upcoming December trip until we move to Bonnet Creek for the 2nd week. We've used DME a lot (I can't remember exactly how many times :lmao:) but we rarely make the return trip to MCO and we most often get the car at the CCC when we actually need it. The best thing about DME is their luggage service. We will continue to use it for our trips!

Well. Even I use the local Winn Dixie for bottled water and milk!

Ah Ha!!! See, I knew you bought off-site for something!!! :lmao: Kidding.

But that's because WDW does not have a grocery store where you can buy 6-packs of sports-top-bottled-water, quarts of Perrier, and 1/2 gallons of Simple Smart milk. If they did, I bet you I would go there! ;)

I'm sorry for such a newbie question, but we are flying southwest and arrive at 9:35....if we check our luggage with the special tags and the flight is late what do we do about our luggage?

thanks

I'm sorry for such a newbie question, but we are flying southwest and arrive at 9:35....if we check our luggage with the special tags and the flight is late what do we do about our luggage?

thanks
If the flight arrives after 10pm, your tagged bags won't be picked up and delivered to your resort. They may be allowed out onto the regular public baggage carousel and then taken to the unclaimed luggage area if no one claims it that night. But, DME personel will collect it in the morning and deliver it.
When arriving after 8pm, I would be hesitant to tag my bags...just because flights can be late and I want my bags that night.

After 10 the bags, yellow tagged ones and all, should be allowed out into the carousel area. Otherwise numerous baggage claims will (should) be filed by guests when they finally give up and leave for the welcoming area.

How special is the DME experience? In other words, when you step on the bus, do you feel the "WDW experience?" What's the ride to WDW like? Is it something my kids will really enjoy? Our 1st trip...:cool2:

How special is the DME experience? In other words, when you step on the bus, do you feel the "WDW experience?" What's the ride to WDW like? Is it something my kids will really enjoy? Our 1st trip...:cool2:
Well, I'm not sure I would say it was a truly 'magical' experience. But, it does start the trip off in much more of a Disney way than say, a towncar or a rental car.
When you board the bus, you do feel like your fun is starting. As you leave the airport area, a video will start. It has all the pertinent Disney characters telling you all about WDW. They show the checkin process with a lot of Disney silliness. The kids really seem to enjoy the video....it does make for a festive atmosphere.

It shouldn't take any longer than 90 mins from your gate to your resort. In the majority of cases, it will be more like 70 mins. I have used DME many times and it usually takes 60-75 mins total. Only one time has it taken more than 75 mins...that one time we were the last of three resort stops, with each stop taking about double the time due to there being so much checked luggage to unload and disburse. For some reason, there were more than the usual number of families on the bus that had their many checked bags with them, rather than allowing DME to transport the bags for them to their respective resorts.

DME is a good way to start your WDW vacation. It's especially nice to save that $100+ for food or fun stuff vs a towncar ride.

"Why in heaven's name didn't they tag the bags before checking them at home, and then not worry about them..but no, they lugged them from baggage claim and onto the bus with them. To put your tags on the bags before boarding the DME bus shows a decided lack of information. I have to wonder if people even read the DME booklet."

I can think of a reason...maybe they didn't fly to MCO? Sounds crazy, but this will be my situation in May. I'm flying one-way to Daytona to attend a conference, and want to tack on a Disney vacation at the end. Since I won't have a car, I'm planning to take the airport to airport shuttle (Daytona to MCO) and hopping on ME to get to my resort. That way I can get back to MCO on ME to fly home.

If anyone spots a flaw in this plan, please let me know! I'm getting ready to finalize it.

Regina

"Why in heaven's name didn't they tag the bags before checking them at home, and then not worry about them..but no, they lugged them from baggage claim and onto the bus with them. To put your tags on the bags before boarding the DME bus shows a decided lack of information. I have to wonder if people even read the DME booklet."

I can think of a reason...maybe they didn't fly to MCO? Sounds crazy, but this will be my situation in May. I'm flying one-way to Daytona to attend a conference, and want to tack on a Disney vacation at the end. Since I won't have a car, I'm planning to take the airport to airport shuttle (Daytona to MCO) and hopping on ME to get to my resort. That way I can get back to MCO on ME to fly home.

If anyone spots a flaw in this plan, please let me know! I'm getting ready to finalize it.

Regina
No problem doing what you want to do at all. Many people do just that. The issue with putting those yellow tags on the bags as they wait in line to board the bus??? Those yellow tags go on checked luggage at your home airport...this alerts baggage handlers at MCO to put these tagged bags aside as they come off the plane, so they can be taken by DME baggage people to a different area so as to disburse them to the appropriate resort. There is no need to put these tags on bags as you board the bus. They have nothing whatsoever to do with going to the resort via the buses. They are specifically for baggage handlers.

There is no need to put these tags on bags as you board the bus. They have nothing whatsoever to do with going to the resort via the buses. They are specifically for baggage handlers.

OK, that's what I figured. Thanks for the reply. I guess when people have those tags, they feel like they gotta use them! Even if it doesn't make sense. Heh.

I haven't flown before, and haven't used DME at all either, so bear with me please. :flower3: I've been reading up on the yellow tags and luggage and *think* I have it straight now. :)

So, my flight gets into MCO around 9:00 pm at night. So for bags that I bring on the plane with me, I just take them straight to the DME check in desk and they will check me in and I will be on the bus with my bags, correct? And they don't need yellow tags, right?

And for bags that I check, if I use a yellow tag then it goes straight to DME and I don't need to do anything other than collect it the next morning? But what If I want to collect the bag myself from the baggage claim area - can I claim it myself if I don't put a yellow tag on it? Or is it better to wait until the next morning to get the bag?

TIA!
Karen

I haven't flown before, and haven't used DME at all either, so bear with me please. :flower3: I've been reading up on the yellow tags and luggage and *think* I have it straight now. :)

So, my flight gets into MCO around 9:00 pm at night. So for bags that I bring on the plane with me, I just take them straight to the DME check in desk and they will check me in and I will be on the bus with my bags, correct? And they don't need yellow tags, right?

And for bags that I check, if I use a yellow tag then it goes straight to DME and I don't need to do anything other than collect it the next morning? But what If I want to collect the bag myself from the baggage claim area - can I claim it myself if I don't put a yellow tag on it? Or is it better to wait until the next morning to get the bag?

TIA!
Karen
Almost right!! Yes, you take any carryon bags with you to the DME counter and then onto the bus with you. If they are larger carryons, like a rollaboard, then the driver will put it under the bus.
Any checked bags that you tag with the yellow DME tags will be taken from the plane, sorted and put on resort trucks for delivery. You can expect them, in your room, up to 4 hrs after resort checkin. Later in the evening it usually takes less than that. If your flight arrived after 10pm, then your DME tagged bags would remain at MCO until the next morning, and then be delivered to you.
If you want to claim your own bags, at baggage claim, just don't tag them. When you get to MCO, head to your baggage claim area, get your bags and then head to DME checkin. Your bags will go under the bus. Keep in mind that any time a bus driver 'touches' your bag(s), they are going to expect a tip.
Hope this helps a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter