Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Hello. We are going to be staying at POR in March 2016. Can someone answer if the boat service to Disney Springs is operating? They don't show the boat symbol on the Disney site when it comes to transportation for this resort, and I thought it used to. That's one of the reasons I booked this resort was because I thought it would be fun for my son to take a boat ride down the river. Thanks.

great! thank you! I was getting worried when I didn't see the boat transportation icon anymore for Port Orleans

Orlando Theme Park News is reporting that the bus route at POR has recently been changed.

"New Routing for Port Orleans–Riverside
New routing has begun at Disney's Port Orleans Resort–Riverside. Service from Riverside to all 4 theme parks will begin at West depot then proceed to North, East, and South all day. Disney Springs buses will service the South depot immediately after the first stop at the French Quarter."

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/12/bus-route-changes-around-walt-disney.html#more

Last edited:
"New Routing for Port Orleans–Riverside
New routing has begun at Disney's Port Orleans Resort–Riverside. Service from Riverside to all 4 theme parks will begin at West depot then proceed to North, East, and South all day. Disney Springs buses will service the South depot immediately after the first stop at the French Quarter."

That sounds interesting indeed. If true, it would make for a much more logical travel system and ease some of the guest confusion. And it implies no sharing with FQ any more at any time of day.

Andre

You may want to reconsider staying at POR in January, February and possibly even March of 2016. The main pool will be closed. But they are generously going to provide golf carts to haul you over to POFQ if you don't want to walk or boat over. This will also have an impact on guests at POFQ having to share the pool with the guests from their sister resort. Letters went out two days ago about this inconvenience. If you don't plan on using the main pool/snack bar no worries.

You may want to reconsider staying at POR in January, February and possibly even March of 2016. The main pool will be closed. But they are generously going to provide golf carts to haul you over to POFQ if you don't want to walk or boat over. This will also have an impact on guests at POFQ having to share the pool with the guests from their sister resort. Letters went out two days ago about this inconvenience. If you don't plan on using the main pool/snack bar no worries.

I've known that for weeks. It's not new information. The pools are shared anyway. We already planned on going to POFQ so our little one could enjoy the theming at the pool there. It's not a huge deal for us, and I suspect most folks traveling in mid-winter are less pool-focused than other times of year.

I've known that for weeks. It's not new information. The pools are shared anyway. We already planned on going to POFQ so our little one could enjoy the theming at the pool there. It's not a huge deal for us, and I suspect most folks traveling in mid-winter are less pool-focused than other times of year.
We were there one year when the pool was closed. It was winter so no big deal, esp since there is the option of going to one of the quiet pools. They did have the carts going back & forth that we used once, but not to get to the pool, but to POFQ food court :-).

I just booked the "Family Vacation Savings" package for POR for 4/1-4/10, when our (newly adopted from Colombia) twin teens have their Spring Break from school. It includes room and tickets, but not dining. I can get two airline tickets free with credit card points, but the other two tickets will be a little expensive due to spring break (~$500 each). We are very excited to take the girls to WDW, as it will be their first WDW visit. Also their prior lifestyle was pretty basic, to say the least. They love Disney, and both dressed up as Minnie Mouse for Halloween. I know they will love the pools and the boat ride to Disney Springs, but they probably won't know English well enough yet to fully appreciate Yehaw Bob.

I've known about the planned work for about six months, and had the official information available on my website (and here on the DIS) back in October. It's only the Ol' Man Island feature pool that is closing (along with the associated hot tub and Muddy Rivers pool bar). However there are five other pools open around Riverside, and the main River Roost bar will open longer hours to compensate for Muddy Rivers' closure (which actually happens quite often during colder weather anyway). Some guests may go over to use the FQ pool (as you say, transport will be provided) but I don't think it will become especially busy there given that this is January/February (except for maybe Presidents Week).

The estimated work dates are 11 January - 4 March 2016 at present, however the currently ongoing work on the new children's splash play area beside the FQ pool is running slightly behind schedule and not now due to be completed until 19 January, so they possibly may not want both sets of work to overlap.

Keep an eye on this thread, or http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php, for the latest updates.

Andre

Are the quiet pools heated? Wondering how cold they will feel at the end of March when we are there.

Are the quiet pools heated? Wondering how cold they will feel at the end of March when we are there.
As Andre says, all pools are heated, but it's the air temp when getting out that may be cold. I'm not sure what the temps are in March. We go in The end of January & August. Temps in January fluctuate. I have swam mid day in January when it's warmest. Can get into high 70's.

Andre...Looking forward to being at my Home Sweet Home on Dec. 17th :-)! I have read through your port orleans website about faxing room requests. Do you suggest a template, or just writing a short letter? If a template, where can that be found? Thanks for all your help!!!

Andre...Looking forward to being at my Home Sweet Home on Dec. 17th :-)! I have read through your port orleans website about faxing room requests. Do you suggest a template, or just writing a short letter? If a template, where can that be found? Thanks for all your help!!!

There is a template here on the DIS (see FAQ post at start of thread for link) but personally I'd suggest writing your own, it's more personal that way.

Andre

I think this was addressed before, but I am sorry I forget the response. Our 5 days out will be on a Saturday. It is ok to fax on a Saturday, as the employees doing this our 7 days a week, correct? Or, should I fax on the Friday before or Monday after? Thanks much!!!!

Yes, faxing on an Saturday is fine. If anything I'd suggest avoiding Sunday/Monday, but it really doesn't matter.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter