Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Been staying at POFQ the past few trips, returning next month for Christmas, but stayed at Riverside last week. I have a silly complaint that I'd love to see addressed at some point - the coffee makers are terrible! :crazy2: lol DH likes a cup of coffee while getting ready and the machine barely makes half a cup. Very difficult to fill the reservoir. Myself, I like a cup of tea before bed. I always bring my own tea bags (seems only Deluxe resorts include tea at the inroom machine) but the taste from the machine was horrendous, even after running a few clear cycles. Definitely forced me to use the food court for tea, but I do like the convenience of being able to have an additional cup in my room.

I admit - silly complaint. But... :cutie:

Do you know if they usually offer a room only discount for Riverside in November?

Sometimes they do, but discounts are a little unpredictable for POR as it is such a popular resort they sometimes either omit it from offers or only make certain room-types available. It's hard to say what they will do for any particular offer.

Andre

Sometimes they do, but discounts are a little unpredictable for POR as it is such a popular resort they sometimes either omit it from offers or only make certain room-types available. It's hard to say what they will do for any particular offer.

Andre
Thank-you so much!

I wonder if the price increase for POR rack rates in 2016 will affect its popularity. Seems like it's considerably more expensive than the other moderates most of the time. Hard to imagine demand dropping despite the price increase - it's just that wonderful there! But still...I'm curious to see what happens next fall with this.

I wonder if the price increase for POR rack rates in 2016 will affect its popularity. Seems like it's considerably more expensive than the other moderates most of the time. Hard to imagine demand dropping despite the price increase - it's just that wonderful there! But still...I'm curious to see what happens next fall with this.
I am also most interested to see if Disney has overpriced POR for the fall months next year. The standard and garden view didn't increase that much but the other room categories have significantly increased. River view is up around $50 per night for most October 2016 dates.

With no AAA discounts for 2016 and October and November 2016 are currently blacked out for room only bounce back discounts, doesn't seem like there will any discounts offered for fall.

Last edited:
We're exactly 2 weeks away from our trip and have been trying to come up with a room request. I really want to stay in the mansions section of the resort, we've booked a standard view. I saw some people talk about the touring plans room request fax, what exactly is this?
I believe there is a fax# for POR on the info section of this thread, page 1. I would fax myself after having a look at the resort map.
We love the mansions too, so for any room view my request is pretty much the same:
Acadian Place or Magnolia Terrace, room as close to Old Man Island bridge as possible.

There used to be a Por fax thread, but I'm not sure where it is anymore. Basics are fax 4-5 days before arrival.
Include your dates, name, phone # and res #
Make no more then 2-3 requests in order of importance.

There used to be a Por fax thread, but I'm not sure where it is anymore. Basics are fax 4-5 days before arrival.
Include your dates, name, phone # and res #
Make no more then 2-3 requests in order of importance.

The thread is still there, but the person who created it is rarely about here any more. I do have similar information in www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php, but the one thing I don't go as far as suggesting is using a template fax - send something a bit more personal.

Andre

The thread is still there, but the person who created it is rarely about here any more. I do have similar information in www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php, but the one thing I don't go as far as suggesting is using a template fax - send something a bit more personal.

Andre
Yes, I add something a little personal too. What I meant about basic, it what info to be sure to include. But prob didn't come out that way. Thanks for clarification.
I'm sure going to miss my POR trip this January :-( sometimes work gets in the way of life!! This is the first time in forever that I can't get away in January, ugh.

Can we all talk about the song that they play every so often at the food court? "Here At the Riverside" or something like that? My husband and I found this hilarious.
I have been home from my trip for exactly a week and it is still in my head and I catch myself singing it out loud lol

The planned dates for the Port Orleans Riverside Ol' Man Island pool closure are now set as 11 January 2016 to 4 March 2016. This includes the hot tub and the Muddy Rivers pool bar, but the campfire, kids' playground, fishing hole and walkways will remain open. The work could potentially run a little longer, but that's the most accurate information I have at present.

Andre

Hello Port Orleans friends! We are staying there for the first time at the end of February. We are booked in a garden view room. I haven't made any requests but I think I'd like to stay in one of the Magnolia Bend rooms rather than Alligator Bayou. Is this an option when I do online check in, or should I call to have it noted? Also any other suggestions for two adults staying at this resort for the first time are welcome! I know requests are only requests and not guaranteed but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

We are booked in a garden view room. I haven't made any requests but I think I'd like to stay in one of the Magnolia Bend rooms rather than Alligator Bayou. Is this an option when I do online check in, or should I call to have it noted?

No, sadly the online checkin system does not allow you to request AB vs. MB. I was talking to someone there more than a year ago and the technical team were trying to implement it then, not sure why it should be so tricky - although at the time they did mange to break the whole system when they tried to do it at the Poly, and this popped up for Riverside and other resorts:

upload_2015-11-22_16-38-28.png

The best thing to do would be to phone in your request and get it added to your reservation, and then perhaps send a fax 3-5 days before arrival if you are especially concerned.

Andre

I wanted to share my excitement, I will most likely book a trip to POR for next May, sometime this week! (just need confirmation from my husband that the week we'd like is approved for him at his new job.). I figured you guys would understand my excitement!:yay:

We went to POR in May 2014, and had a room in AB building 38, which we LOVED. :love: When we decided to return to Disney, it was no question we would return to POR (though to be fair, we did discuss possibly trying POFQ, but POR won in the end). Anyway, now as I'm about to actually book our stay (garden view), I am torn as to what to have noted in the reservation for preferences. Our 2014 AB room was assigned by fate, pretty much, as we hadn't requested anything in particular. Part of me wants to request AB again, because we just loved our room, and the themeing, and the location so much, and faxing more detailed requests closer to our trip to ensure as similar a room as last time. But at the same time, I wonder if I should put it in the hands of chance, and see what we get, and if we get a Magnolia room, then we'd get something different, and maybe really like them (I find the mansions really pretty!). But what if we spend the whole time thinking "this isn't as nice as our AB room last time"?:confused3

It is a silly dilemma, I know, but we've really deserved this trip, it's been a really rough year for us, and I just get a little too excited over details! :teeth:

We are just over a week away! Last time went four years ago we stayed at Pop Century. I liked it but it was a really busy resort. I am really excited that POR may be a of a quieter resort.

Our 2014 AB room was assigned by fate, pretty much, as we hadn't requested anything in particular. Part of me wants to request AB again, because we just loved our room, and the themeing, and the location so much, and faxing more detailed requests closer to our trip to ensure as similar a room as last time.

I would leave it to chance, the mansion building rooms are fun too. If you want to make a request, ask for fairly close to main building.

Andre

Arrived yesterday for a quick 3 night visit to see DD. Originally booked FW cabin because nothing was availBle, but kept looking online and a PO Riverside opened up. Stayed here years ago when it was still Dixie Landings. It's a handicap corner room. Not thrilled about that. Only one sink & it's one big bathroom with a roll in shower. I must admit, I prefer PO French Quarter much better. This place is just too big/spread out for me. I'm glad I booked our Christmas trip early enough to stay at POFQ.
I know its all personal preference but we stay at PORiverside quite often and we never get the feeling its too big, we got that feeling at CB but not here. It must be the way its laid out the river going through. It always seems very peaceful and relaxing and a nice easy way to get to Disney Springs. My wife and I just love POR.

We surprised our oldest in 2012, it was great. Said we were taking a friend to the airport to visit her sister and she was just there to take our car home.
We surprised them last year by giving it as a Christmukkah present and we were going 9 days later.

Right now, our oldest thinks we are going in October, but we are really going in May and it's going to be a pick him up at school early for a "doctor" appt and head to the airport. Hopefully it works!
I'm surprising my son in June with a trip. It will be just him, my mom and I. Daddy and little sister are staying home. It is really hard keeping this from him. I can't wait to tell him that morning when I wake him up and say come let go were leaving.....

I have a dilemma. It was noted on here a few weeks ago that Ole Man Island is closing for refurb on Jan 11, 2016 and will be out of order until later in the spring. This isn't a huge deal for our group as we're not swimmers. However, this morning I got an email from Disney notifying us of the refurb. In the email it mentions the pool, spa, waterslide, and muddy rivers bar being out of order, then it mentions something that does matter to us. It says that certain pathways will be closed periodically. I'm wondering if this means the island and its footbridges will not be available for use. This would make for some very long walks to get from the main building to the hotel rooms. Our Disney TA asked if we wanted to move to a different resort because of this. I'm seriously thinking about saving a few bucks and switching to Caribbean Beach. I looked at French Quarter, but it does not have any King rooms left. Am I making too big of a deal out of this? Has the island ever been down for refurb before? Any past stories?

It says that certain pathways will be closed periodically. I'm wondering if this means the island and its footbridges will not be available for use. This would make for some very long walks to get from the main building to the hotel rooms.

I've been told that the major through-routes over the island will remain open, along with the fishing hole, campfire and kids' playground. I assume there may be odd times when access may be diverted as they move stuff about though.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter