Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Yes, faxing on an Saturday is fine. If anything I'd suggest avoiding Sunday/Monday, but it really doesn't matter.

Andre
Thank you again! I used the template as a guide, but modified it to make it more personable. I will plan to send the fax this Saturday. I am so thankful to be getting ready for another trip to POR and for all your help here on the DIS!

I just booked the "Family Vacation Savings" package for POR for 4/1-4/10, when our (newly adopted from Colombia) twin teens have their Spring Break from school. It includes room and tickets, but not dining. I can get two airline tickets free with credit card points, but the other two tickets will be a little expensive due to spring break (~$500 each). We are very excited to take the girls to WDW, as it will be their first WDW visit. Also their prior lifestyle was pretty basic, to say the least. They love Disney, and both dressed up as Minnie Mouse for Halloween. I know they will love the pools and the boat ride to Disney Springs, but they probably won't know English well enough yet to fully appreciate Yehaw Bob.

See what I mean:

Twins Minnie 11-2015 small.jpg

I know they will love the pools and the boat ride to Disney Springs, but they probably won't know English well enough yet to fully appreciate Yehaw Bob.

I wouldn't bet on that, Bob is pretty infectious whatever language you speak. He does some Disney covers these days which they may well know the songs, and his other music has a lot of repetition ("Wine? BEER!") which I'm sure they'll get into in no time. Don't rule it out anyway.

Andre

Been staying at POFQ the past few trips, returning next month for Christmas, but stayed at Riverside last week. I have a silly complaint that I'd love to see addressed at some point - the coffee makers are terrible! :crazy2: lol DH likes a cup of coffee while getting ready and the machine barely makes half a cup. Very difficult to fill the reservoir. Myself, I like a cup of tea before bed. I always bring my own tea bags (seems only Deluxe resorts include tea at the inroom machine) but the taste from the machine was horrendous, even after running a few clear cycles. Definitely forced me to use the food court for tea, but I do like the convenience of being able to have an additional cup in my room.

I admit - silly complaint. But... :cutie:

Not silly at all!

I'm a true blue tea drinker (must be my UK ancestry...). There is absolutely NO way that you can run water through a coffee maker and use it for tea...you will never, ever get the coffee taste out of it (even though the coffee doesn't run through the water reservoir). It's crazy, but true. I have to bring my own tea, and electric kettle when I want a proper cup of tea. Also, the water has to be boiling for a good cup of tea...you want to steep the tea, not stew it. :)

Not silly at all!

I'm a true blue tea drinker (must be my UK ancestry...). There is absolutely NO way that you can run water through a coffee maker and use it for tea...you will never, ever get the coffee taste out of it (even though the coffee doesn't run through the water reservoir). It's crazy, but true. I have to bring my own tea, and electric kettle when I want a proper cup of tea. Also, the water has to be boiling for a good cup of tea...you want to steep the tea, not stew it. :)

This wasn't even a "coffee taste" - it was indescribable! lol I bring my electric teakettle when we are driving somewhere, but I've never flown with it in my luggage. lol I'll just have to stick with the food court for my Earl Grey! :coffee:

Well I am certainly hoping things get better here tomorrow. We arrived at 10pm from HS without a room assignment and pop sent our bags to FQ by mistake. Refrigerator reeks of mildew and we can't do anything about it until tomorrow as my 5 year old is passed out already. I'm hopeful things are better tomorrow. We had an amazing first day in the parks and this made me frustrated. Oh well!

I wouldn't bet on that, Bob is pretty infectious whatever language you speak. He does some Disney covers these days which they may well know the songs, and his other music has a lot of repetition ("Wine? BEER!") which I'm sure they'll get into in no time. Don't rule it out anyway.

Andre

We will give it a try, they will have fun even if they don't get the language subtleties!

We're here now and not 100% happy either. First although we sent a request for mansions bldg 85 we were put in the back of alligator bayou 39 which is far from pretty much everything. I know requests are not guaranteed but its like they didn't even read our fax. I asked for a room near transportation. We were offered to move the following day but they couldn't tell us where we'd be moved, just out of 39. We slept on it and since we had early morning plans we just stayed in 39. Smh. I regret it now.

This room is far from everything. We stupidly bought the refillable mugs but have only used them 1x since the food court is not close at all.

Room cleanliness and towels have been a problem. The room is just not clean, I'm not expecting spotless but it's dusty and there's food crumbs, dead bugs and dustballs in corners, especially the bathroom which sleeves me out. We have had to call and ask for extra towels every night. Every. Night. Which usually takes about 40 minutes for them to bring.

Tonight I picked up one of the disposable cups to get some water and looked inside it....it was filthy like someone had dirt in it. We have not used the cups up til now and I'm so disgusted to think that my dd8 might have been the one to grab a cup to get a quick cup of water and not looked in it first. It was obviously used by someone and put in the stack of clean cups.

We have 4 more nights here....

We're here now and not 100% happy either. First although we sent a request for mansions bldg 85 we were put in the back of alligator bayou 39 which is far from pretty much everything. I know requests are not guaranteed but its like they didn't even read our fax. I asked for a room near transportation. We were offered to move the following day but they couldn't tell us where we'd be moved, just out of 39. We slept on it and since we had early morning plans we just stayed in 39. Smh. I regret it now.

This room is far from everything. We stupidly bought the refillable mugs but have only used them 1x since the food court is not close at all.

Room cleanliness and towels have been a problem. The room is just not clean, I'm not expecting spotless but it's dusty and there's food crumbs, dead bugs and dustballs in corners, especially the bathroom which sleeves me out. We have had to call and ask for extra towels every night. Every. Night. Which usually takes about 40 minutes for them to bring.

Tonight I picked up one of the disposable cups to get some water and looked inside it....it was filthy like someone had dirt in it. We have not used the cups up til now and I'm so disgusted to think that my dd8 might have been the one to grab a cup to get a quick cup of water and not looked in it first. It was obviously used by someone and put in the stack of clean cups.

Please phone housekeeping and tell them your room isn't being cleaned properly, There's a button on the phone. I'd also go to the front desk and ask to speak with the Duty Manager. Tell him about all the dirt & dead bugs too. Gross. If I had a dirty room I would have had something done the day we got there. That is unacceptable.

As for buildings, I know it can be difficult sometimes, they might be full and didn't have any room in requested building your check in day. But they should have been able to tell you what building was available to move into the next day. It happened to us at Poly in August. We moved the next day and were told what building we were going to.

Any problems are best addressed while you're there and resort has the time to rectify it. No reason to live in a dirty room.

Last edited:
Please phone housekeeping and tell them your room isn't being cleaned properly, There's a button on the phone. I'd also go to the front desk and ask to speak with the Duty Manager. Tell him about all the dirt & dead bugs too.

Any problems are best addressed while you're there and resort has the time to rectify it. No reason to live in a dirty room.

Absolutely! Go up as high as it takes (and now, not when you get home) to get the situation resolved to your satisfaction; ask to speak to a senior housekeeping manager if possible, and if not then the guest services manager. And take some photos on your phone to show the manager.

Andre

We called housekeeping last night to speak to them about the dirty room, dirty cup and ask for towels. They just said they would "let someone know". I forgot to mention that we only had one small trash can in the room when we got here, I thought there was only supposed to be the one can so I made my own trash bag in the bathroom area. We asked about it last night just out of curiosity while on the phone with housekeeping and they were confused, there is supposed to be 2 trash cans. They brought a 2nd one when they brought towels. How does a room lose a trash can? Lol When I opened the door to housekeeping when they came with towels (and trash can) I said hello and was met with "here" as they handed me the towels. Lol that is all she said. It was so weird that it was funny. Not hello back or anything, just "here".

Is it worth a mile walk to the main building to talk to someone at the front desk? We check out Friday.

I have the dirty cup still if they want to see it but I brought my own lysol spray and clorox wipes and cleaned a lot of the room when we got here. That's another reason we hesitated to switch rooms because I would have to spend time cleaning another room not ro mention we have 10 days worth of stuff with us to move. Ugh.

Also, not sure if this is the norm but buses are atrocious. They'be all been full-ish when it gets to us, I haven't had a seat yet. I don't know if this is normal as this is our first time at wdw in December.

We called housekeeping last night to speak to them about the dirty room, dirty cup and ask for towels. They just said they would "let someone know". I forgot to mention that we only had one small trash can in the room when we got here, I thought there was only supposed to be the one can so I made my own trash bag in the bathroom area. We asked about it last night just out of curiosity while on the phone with housekeeping and they were confused, there is supposed to be 2 trash cans. They brought a 2nd one when they brought towels. How does a room lose a trash can? Lol When I opened the door to housekeeping when they came with towels (and trash can) I said hello and was met with "here" as they handed me the towels. Lol that is all she said. It was so weird that it was funny. Not hello back or anything, just "here".

Is it worth a mile walk to the main building to talk to someone at the front desk? We check out Friday.

I have the dirty cup still if they want to see it but I brought my own lysol spray and clorox wipes and cleaned a lot of the room when we got here. That's another reason we hesitated to switch rooms because I would have to spend time cleaning another room not ro mention we have 10 days worth of stuff with us to move. Ugh.

Also, not sure if this is the norm but buses are atrocious. They'be all been full-ish when it gets to us, I haven't had a seat yet. I don't know if this is normal as this is our first time at wdw in December.

You still have several days their I would talk with the front desk.

I hope out fridge is changed when we get back. Our room was clean at least. I'll be complaining about our issues this afternoon.

Is it worth a mile walk to the main building to talk to someone at the front desk? We check out Friday. [/QUOTE said:
Management assumes thing are going well unless someone informs them otherwise. I definitely think it is worth it to let the management know that their lower level staff is not taking complaints seriously. I feel like we pay quite a bit for those rooms and while the room location and buses cannot be guaranteed, the cleanliness of the rooms surely should be.

Last edited:

Any resolution today? We were very happy to get back to our room to find a brand new fridge and towel animals and all of my daughter's dolls and things arranged festively by Mousekeeping. I'm so relieved that they took care of our issue. Hope things were better for you, too!

You stayed most of your 10 day stay without bringing this up with a manager????? That's sad. It all could have been rectified and you would have had a much more pleasant stay had you followed up on this at the beginning rather than waiting till the end of your trip.
Yes, it's still worth going to desk and asking for a manager. Don't really understand why you waited till end of trip to do so :confused3

We spoke to jonathan at the front desk and he said he would have the head of housekeeping take care of it, he'd supervise the cleaning of our room and make sure we have extra towels for our stay. He agreed that the dirty cup was disgusting and understood that we had a lot of little things that needed to be addressed.

We didn't say anything at first because I cleaned the room after check in and honestly we don't like to be complainers or people out to get something because things aren't perfect. Its just how we are. The dirty cup was the last straw though, so gross. We did return from the parks to a cleaner room but like I said, I brought lysol and clorox wipes with me and had gone over everything even before they did. They had no explanation of the dirty cup other than that they'd talk to our housekeeper about it. They did leave us a towel animal and a picture of mickey and minnie, not signed or anything, just a picture. Hope the last few nights go well

We spoke to jonathan at the front desk and he said he would have the head of housekeeping take care of it, he'd supervise the cleaning of our room and make sure we have extra towels for our stay. He agreed that the dirty cup was disgusting and understood that we had a lot of little things that needed to be addressed.

We didn't say anything at first because I cleaned the room after check in and honestly we don't like to be complainers or people out to get something because things aren't perfect. Its just how we are. The dirty cup was the last straw though, so gross. We did return from the parks to a cleaner room but like I said, I brought lysol and clorox wipes with me and had gone over everything even before they did. They had no explanation of the dirty cup other than that they'd talk to our housekeeper about it. They did leave us a towel animal and a picture of mickey and minnie, not signed or anything, just a picture. Hope the last few nights go well
I bring disinfectant wipes too, but it doesn't help with dirty floors and dead bugs. I kinda draw the line at that. I only walked into a dirty room once at POR, on arrival I noticed crumbs and hair on the floors, trash left in room. Hair bands on floor by beds, and hair in bathroom. No amount of wipes will fix that. I went to desk immediately.
I'm glad I did. They gave me a different room. Not 5 minutes after we got to new room the Duty Manager came to talk to me. He apologized, and said he went to the room to inspect it, and spoke with housekeeping. Turns out the housekeeper assigned to that room didn't understand he was supposed to do a full clean for a new guest, and only did a return guest clean. Meaning just a tidy up, trash & towels. We would have been sleeping on dirty sheets from past tennent. Yuck. I didn't get any compensation other then a clean room, nor did I expect or ask for anything. Just a clean room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter