• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

My concern with Expedia and Orbitz is that I'very seen people at hotel check-ins (not Disney) having trouble with their reservation and the desk person telling them that they can't fix it for them because they didn't book directly with the hotel. I think there is too much risk with third-party vendors and I'm not sure I want that risk with a trip that costs so much. I guess I like the security of booking directly with Disney.

I usually end up booking a couple trips a year through Expedia, and I haven't had any issues with my reservations. The only inconvenience is having to call Expedia to get the Disney confirmation number so I can link everything in MDE. I also book through Disney if the rate is better, and haven't noticed any difference in my check in experiences booking through one or the other. I will say that I'm one of those people who doesn't generally make changes to a reservation once it's made, and that may make a difference when it comes to problems later. But everyone has a different comfort level, and some people want to have immediate access to make changes (which isn't an issue for me).

I haven't booked other than Disney through them though, so I don't have experience with non-Disney third party reservations. I am a HHonors member, so I usually book through Hilton when I travel elsewhere.

Does anybody have recent allergy meal issues at POR?
I ask because their lists from Special diets now list a pancake mix, ("cup4cup" so not even top 8 free) a gluten free hot dog bun and a gluten free hamburger bun. Those are the only 3 items on ANY of the lists I checked (wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanut, treenut) Do they still have a pasta? Do they do allergy mickey waffles?
I had just gotten excited about staying here and it looks like they took nearly everything my son can eat away from this one resort, but not the others.

So excited as I read these posts! I think it's been since 2008 that we've stayed at FQ, and I've always wanted to go back. Really looking forward to it. :flower1:

Andre,

I agree with your suggestions for reducing the non-themed music at the pools. I enjoy a mid-day resort time to get away from crowds at the parks but don't really care for the music at the pools. Not all guests are kids. (maybe at heart). And it can be loud. Also, a walking path to DTD is a great idea. I do love the boat and stay at PO (either R or FQ) because of that great feature but having a walking choice would be a terrific option too. Thanks for all your great info!

Just back from our first stay at FQ. Overall I liked the resort. Arrived at 11 am, knew our luggage would take awhile. At 4 I called, was told it just arrived by bus and would be at our room in 20 minutes (we were all pretty wet since it had been raining). By 6 still nothing, went to Bell Services, was told they were understaffed and then he laughed when some guy drove by with a cart of luggage.... said, he probably has it.....great so am I supposed to run after him and get it??? Finally made it to our room at 8. Two nights walking back to our room (building 3) rats ran in front of me.....I know most places have rats but generally you don't see them. Bus service was less than impressive. If you couldn't squeeze yourself onto first bus to MK forget making the opening show....plan on arriving 5 minutes after it's over.....long morning lines most days on days that showed crowd calenders between 3-5. We ate less at the Food Court this stay.....had a breakfast sandwich day two....had too visit alot of bathrooms at AK. Ordered spinach/artichoke dip at the bar.....it was a runny, brown consistency, seriously. Great bartenders at the pool bar, Shelley and Jodi....but I think I came home with whatever illness Jodi had. We still enjoyed our family time but this trip definetely didn't have the magic off our past trips.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your French Quarter stay. It is one of our favorite resorts. I have never seen any critters there and hope I don't this time either. We are heading there on Friday and really hope it was just an unusual event. I have not been to POFQ for my last two visits so I am really excited about returning. Fingers crossed! :flower1:

We are currently at POFQ half way through an 8-night stay. This is our third stay here and we are having a fantastic time.

Haven't used either bar (yet!) and only ordered pizza at Sassagoula (which has been good). The bus service has been really good except for the morning we tried to get to the Magic Kingdom by opening. That was ridiculously slow and we didn't make it. Also, I told my daughter last night I thought I saw a rat scurry in the bushes (I was semi-joking with her!) but after reading the other post, I guess it probably was!

French Quarter is absolutely my favorite Disney resort. I love the size, the theming and the proximity to everything.

I thought maybe I was seeing a squirrel without a furry tail but when I mentioned it to a CM I was told the resort was aware of the critters and confirmed what I thought they were. My son also came across an overly friendly raccoon who rolled on his back kicking his feet in the air, posed casually against a tree and walked over and laid on my sons foot. I'm assuming other guests have been feeding him and he's used to performing for it. All in all I would stay here again......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Great picture! We haven't seen the raccoon yet. Maybe we'll take a walk around the grounds when we get back from the Magic Kingdom tonight. Then again, not sure that I want to encounter another rat so maybe we'll just go back to the room!

Great my two biggest fears...rats and raccoons. I'd be out of there lickety split if I saw either one.

Just booked for 10/9-10/13!

We got the dining plan. What are our options for getting beignets? I know you can get 3 for a snack credit. Any quick service credit options for breakfast? Can you get them as your dessert for lunch/dinner? Thanks.

French Quarter is absolutely my favorite Disney resort. I love the size, the theming and the proximity to everything.[/QUOTE]
We are currently at POFQ half way through an 8-night stay. This is our third stay here and we are having a fantastic time.

Haven't used either bar (yet!) and only ordered pizza at Sassagoula (which has been good). The bus service has been really good except for the morning we tried to get to the Magic Kingdom by opening. That was ridiculously slow and we didn't make it. Also, I told my daughter last night I thought I saw a rat scurry in the bushes (I was semi-joking with her!) but after reading the other post, I guess it probably was!

French Quarter is absolutely my favorite Disney resort. I love the size, the theming and the proximity to everything.
Maybe it was a large mouse with big ears

Last edited:
Great my two biggest fears...rats and raccoons. I'd be out of there lickety split if I saw either one.

We saw a rat at Epcot in January. It ran out of the bushes to get food and someone stepped on it. Another poster reported seeing a rat at Epcot (I think) as well.

I wonder if Disney is currently having a rat problem. I have never seen them before; I haven't even seen bugs.

We will be at POFQ in less than 2 weeks. I have a DD4 and DS 9 and my husband's 2nd trip since he was 6. I'm nervous about the resort... as I've read some horrible stories about food. Should I be worried? What do you love about this resort?

Just booked for 10/9-10/13!

We got the dining plan. What are our options for getting beignets? I know you can get 3 for a snack credit. Any quick service credit options for breakfast? Can you get them as your dessert for lunch/dinner? Thanks.

the 3 for a snack credit was plenty to me and my sister; we shared 1 order for breakfast several days. We had the DP too and that was lot of food so we ate "lighter for breakfast.

Only about 20 minutes. It's actually just under a mile from the southern end of the POFQ parking lot over to the DTD parking lot area to the north of Cirque du Soleil, following the existing paved pathways and footbridges adjacent to the golf course (except for that missing 130 yard section). It surprised me too!

View attachment 81219

Andre

This would be fantastic. How does this even get brought up for consideration?

Any quick service credit options for breakfast? Can you get them as your dessert for lunch/dinner? Than

Yes, it's 3 for a snack credit. There are plenty of other CS options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

One thing I've noticed living in the south: their rodents (rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc) are BIGGER and their deer are SMALLER. I know raccoon can be mean and dirty little things, but I would jump for joy if I friendly one put on a show for me.

Yes, it's 3 for a snack credit. There are plenty of other CS options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

One thing I've noticed living in the south: their rodents (rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc) are BIGGER and their deer are SMALLER. I know raccoon can be mean and dirty little things, but I would jump for joy if I friendly one put on a show for me.

Sorry for not being clear. I was wondering if there were any other dining plan options for getting beignets other than 3 for the snack credit. For example, as a breakfast entree or lunch/dinner dessert for a counter service credit.

Sorry for not being clear. I was wondering if there were any other dining plan options for getting beignets other than 3 for the snack credit. For example, as a breakfast entree or lunch/dinner dessert for a counter service credit.

Ah! I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure you can get 6 for a CS credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter