• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I know last year when I booked and stayed at the Pops' for a trip for February 2015 I believe I received 15% off if I'm not mistaken. Do moderate resorts such as POFQ get more off around that same time of year (February). Maybe 20 or 25% off? Just curious. Thank you.

I know last year when I booked and stayed at the Pops' for a trip for February 2015 I believe I received 15% off if I'm not mistaken. Do moderate resorts such as POFQ get more off around that same time of year (February). Maybe 20 or 25% off? Just curious. Thank you.

Yes, the discount for the moderates is generally about 10% higher than the values. However, POFQ doesn't always get a discount, and I have seen discounts there as low as 5%, when the other mods had a 20-25% discount. So it's not always a straight percentage across the board. Usually they tell you in the fine print when you look at the offer online, if there are any resorts getting a discount different than the main offer. Or if it's a very limited offer (a few years back, they had an AP offer only on Epcot resorts) then the fine print will tell you specifically which resorts qualify for the discount.

Yes, the discount for the moderates is generally about 10% higher than the values. However, POFQ doesn't always get a discount, and I have seen discounts there as low as 5%, when the other mods had a 20-25% discount. So it's not always a straight percentage across the board. Usually they tell you in the fine print when you look at the offer online, if there are any resorts getting a discount different than the main offer. Or if it's a very limited offer (a few years back, they had an AP offer only on Epcot resorts) then the fine print will tell you specifically which resorts qualify for the discount.

Why is that? I think I read that one year that free dining wasn't offered when staying at pofq. Is that true? If I booked for February of next yr at some time all I'm looking for is the discount of the hotel.

They sell enough rooms without the discounts. POFQ is the smallest of the four moderates so there aren't as many rooms to fill

They sell enough rooms without the discounts. POFQ is the smallest of the four moderates so there aren't as many rooms to fill

And it's also worth considering that Disney looks at the already-booked occupancy levels before deciding what discounts to offer at which resorts (in order to help sell the empty rooms). So people who book a room early anyway, hoping they may be able to 'switch' to a discounted rate later, are actually reducing the likelihood of any discounts being offered.

Andre

And it's also worth considering that Disney looks at the already-booked occupancy levels before deciding what discounts to offer at which resorts (in order to help sell the empty rooms). So people who book a room early anyway, hoping they may be able to 'switch' to a discounted rate later, are actually reducing the likelihood of any discounts being offered.

Andre
That is why I jumped on booking POFQ again back in December with the BB offer and got 30% off our trip coming up in exactly 17 days:yay:

We just got back from a week stay at pofq, here are my thoughts. We are a family of 4, this was our third disney trip in the last 8 years. Previously we had stayed at POR, and CBR.
Pros
-the resort size is perfect. Nice and compact. We were on the back side of building 4 and it was a great location for getting around (but a little noisy).
-the resort theming is fun, the grounds are beautiful. I loved the cobblestone walkways.
-kids (9 and 6) loved the pools. Loved, loved loved. The lifeguards were so awesome and attentive, which as a bit of a neurotic mom made me feel great.
-room size was sufficient for us, didn't find it small at all.
- transportation on busses and ferrys was good, no delays, no problems.

Cons
-as stated above, we had a fair bit of noise. If you are a light sleeper the back side of building 4 probably isn't for you. It overlooks the bus depots and also the delivery area for the food court. Back up beepers around 4 am every night. But, we could also see fireworks every night at 9.
-the beds / mattresses are old. My husband had a really difficult time with the beds, said he could feel springs and boards.
-the food. At its best it was edible, and for the most part it was just gross and expensive. Everything is clearly premade, frozen, from boxes / cans, etc. the eggs were pretty gross, I would guess a powdered egg product. Most of the food was reheated when you ordered, which leaves you with dry, tasteless, junk. The food really was just gross. We tried to ordered pizza delivered to our room one night. It was just before 5 pm, so not really what one would consider dinner rush time. It would have been a 95 minute wait. Ouch.
- The bathroom was so very small, you could barely fit far enough in to close the door. The shower head was a really wide style, over a very narrow tub. It was messy, especially with the kids.
- this is a weird one, but a huge safety issue in my eyes. It rained several days while we were there, and the walkways and staircases turn as slick as ice. It was completely insane. My husband fell halfway down a slick staircase. I don't know exactly why this is, but I have a guess. My guess is that the painted concrete walkways are washed whith some sort of soap that never gets rinsed off, and becomes soapy/ slick when wet. You could see bubbles in some areas. At any rate be very, very, very careful. I nearly fell several times, lucky for us we are used to icy New England conditions and slipping and sliding without falling is something we know how to do.

Overall I like the resort pretty well, but considering the food options I would probably not stay there again. Unless I had a car. I think I would stay again if I ever did a solo trip, where I didn't have to try to find somewhere for hungry kids to get a decent meal in a quick time frame.

Would anybody have pictures of building 85 for a king room with a garden view. We stayed last year in building
17 at Port Orleans but found alligator bayou a little dark. This trip in May we wanted to try the MagnoliaTerrace.
Love the resort it was so peaceful and relaxing.

That is why I jumped on booking POFQ again back in December with the BB offer and got 30% off our trip coming up in exactly 17 days:yay:

Was it two years ago that it reversed and it was POR that sold out and POFQ got the discount....I think it was because that's the year I actually did booked POR.

I was there last October and booked BB for WL this coming Oct, but we then couldn't decide if we really wanted WL so in Jan I booked another BB for POFQ because I have no faith in a public discount for POFQ. I could only get a River View but that was still $100 cheaper then WL and I believe it will also still be cheaper than rack rate or the smaller discount that FQ usually gets.

Yes, it does. I was able to book a discounted room there for a trip later this month. They just tend to be few and far between, and sometimes not as much of a discount as POR.

How how how? I have been calling every week to see if any discount is available to me. Not even AAA is available. What is the secret?

Would anybody have pictures of building 85 for a king room with a garden view. We stayed last year in building
17 at Port Orleans but found alligator bayou a little dark. This trip in May we wanted to try the MagnoliaTerrace.
Love the resort it was so peaceful and relaxing.

You'll need to hop over to the Riverside thread for that. Only 7 buildings at POFQ. ;)

I agree with the slick staircases!! There were also some huge standing puddles on the landings. They really need to look into that!

I did find the beds very comfortable, but the pillow were another story!

We just got back from a week stay at pofq, here are my thoughts. We are a family of 4, this was our third disney trip in the last 8 years. Previously we had stayed at POR, and CBR.
Pros
-the resort size is perfect. Nice and compact. We were on the back side of building 4 and it was a great location for getting around (but a little noisy).
-the resort theming is fun, the grounds are beautiful. I loved the cobblestone walkways.
-kids (9 and 6) loved the pools. Loved, loved loved. The lifeguards were so awesome and attentive, which as a bit of a neurotic mom made me feel great.
-room size was sufficient for us, didn't find it small at all.
- transportation on busses and ferrys was good, no delays, no problems.

Cons
-as stated above, we had a fair bit of noise. If you are a light sleeper the back side of building 4 probably isn't for you. It overlooks the bus depots and also the delivery area for the food court. Back up beepers around 4 am every night. But, we could also see fireworks every night at 9.
-the beds / mattresses are old. My husband had a really difficult time with the beds, said he could feel springs and boards.
-the food. At its best it was edible, and for the most part it was just gross and expensive. Everything is clearly premade, frozen, from boxes / cans, etc. the eggs were pretty gross, I would guess a powdered egg product. Most of the food was reheated when you ordered, which leaves you with dry, tasteless, junk. The food really was just gross. We tried to ordered pizza delivered to our room one night. It was just before 5 pm, so not really what one would consider dinner rush time. It would have been a 95 minute wait. Ouch.
- The bathroom was so very small, you could barely fit far enough in to close the door. The shower head was a really wide style, over a very narrow tub. It was messy, especially with the kids.
- this is a weird one, but a huge safety issue in my eyes. It rained several days while we were there, and the walkways and staircases turn as slick as ice. It was completely insane. My husband fell halfway down a slick staircase. I don't know exactly why this is, but I have a guess. My guess is that the painted concrete walkways are washed whith some sort of soap that never gets rinsed off, and becomes soapy/ slick when wet. You could see bubbles in some areas. At any rate be very, very, very careful. I nearly fell several times, lucky for us we are used to icy New England conditions and slipping and sliding without falling is something we know how to do.

Overall I like the resort pretty well, but considering the food options I would probably not stay there again. Unless I had a car. I think I would stay again if I ever did a solo trip, where I didn't have to try to find somewhere for hungry kids to get a decent meal in a quick time frame.

I agree with the slick staircases!! There were also some huge standing puddles on the landings. They really need to look into that!

I did find the beds very comfortable, but the pillow were another story!

It rained a lot when we were there last fall and we saw a lot of poeople fall. And this was mostly at the parks. I think it does have to do with the painted sidewalks.

I've just updated the FAQ in the first post as I needed to restore some formatting that the recent DISboards upgrade had broken (they said it could not be fixed by their board-wide batch task, so I manually edited it). I've also updated the content, as some bits were a bit out of date. If someone could give it a quick read over and check everything's now OK with both the formatting/punctuation and also the information (did I miss out anything vital?) that'd be a great help. Thanks!

Andre

I've just updated the FAQ in the first post as I needed to restore some formatting that the recent DISboards upgrade had broken (they said it could not be fixed by their board-wide batch task, so I manually edited it). I've also updated the content, as some bits were a bit out of date. If someone could give it a quick read over and check everything's now OK with both the formatting/punctuation and also the information (did I miss out anything vital?) that'd be a great help. Thanks!

Andre
Looks great to me!!! I just booked three stays at POFQ because DD21 was accepted into DCP! We wanted to make sure we had rooms for Food & Wine and Christmas to visit her!!

The first post looks good to me. The room pics in a later post are outdated though, but probably something you can't fix.

I just called and added my requests to our reservation. I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot. Dh is invisibly disabled and a midday nap and early bedtime are essential. I asked for a quiet location and defined that as: not a connecting room, not next to a stairway, not facing the pool or the area where the movies are shown and not Buildings 1 & 2 (because of the boat horns) or 4 (because of the delivery trucks). I had already requested first floor. I also asked that we not be near a DSA because of dh's lungs. I studied your room maps at portorleans.org and there are rooms in 3, 5 6, and 7 that do fit the bill. Hopefully the room assigners will bestow upon us some pixie dust and give us the perfect room.

I hope you manage to get your requests met - although I think you have probably narrowed the choice down to about half a dozen rooms. :)

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter