Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I will be a first time Pop Century visitor with my boyfriend in May of 2016!! I have been to WDW many times in my life, but most recently Animal kingdom villas-kidani village 2012 and POR July 2014. Has anyone visited WDW in May? We are thinking may 24-28. Also, generally when do you think it's best to book room and tickets? Thanks!!

I'm sure others will chime in but from my May experience and from reading other posts, the first 2-3 weeks in May are pretty nice as far as crowd levels with the weekdays being the least busy. Because of the Memorial day holiday and some schools getting out the last part of May (summer break for Disney World crowds show to start around May 23rd), the parks get a lot more crowded toward the end of May. Looking back on the touring plans actuals for this past May. From May 1st-21st, most weekdays were crowd levels 2-4 and most weekends were crowd level 5-6. Starting May 22 the crowd levels jumped up with everyday being a crowd level 9 or 10 (with a couple of 7-8's sprinkled in during the middle of the week. If you are looking for a good time to go in May and you are flexible, it would be best to choose one of the first 3 weeks in May and if you can avoid a weekend, you would have the best crowd levels. Since May 1st is on a Sunday and some spring breaks finish up the end of April that may carry over into the first of May, if I were choosing dates in May, I would choose the 2nd or 3rd weeks in May with most of my dates falling within the week.

Hope this helps.

So it looks like I will be at POP on my fall trip. I try to stick to Values when I'm solo and POP will finish off the Value category for me. I thought it would be cool to have stayed at every Value, and you never know, maybe I'll get to POP and love it.

So a weird question for you in the know. I'm not a fan of the giant Icon décor. And not just in a not my taste of decoration way, but in a serious giant icons (especially those with faces/eyes) creep me out way. I'm the person at the Natural History Museum that walks around the edge of the room so that I don't have to walk under the giant whale hanging from the ceiling. I took the stairs (with luggage) at AoA so that I didn't have to walk by Ursula to use the elevator. I'm that serious about it. I've always had this phobia, from the time I was a child, there's not even some event to explain it, but it is what it is. Maybe too many Saturday morning, Godzilla import movies.

I won't have a panic attack or anything but I am uncomfortable even walking by them. At Music (my favorite value so far) there are no face icons and while I tend to walk faster if I have to go through those particular breezeways with the icons, I'm pretty okay with it. Which is why I'm willing to give POP a go, I know that there is a mix of icons there.

At the other values I've been lucky enough to either be in a building with object icons or was able to avoid most of the creepy face stuff by sticking to open walkways and the backsides of buildings. I was in the Surf area at Sports, Fantasia at Movies and Ursula (fail) at AoA.

I'm just doing a standard room, where would you suggest I request. Near the buses would be nice but honestly the avoidance of eyes would take priority.

I don't mind the smaller statuary, it's really just the giant (bigger than normal) stuff. I'm going to withhold judgment on the Foosball area but I don't like the pictures of it so maybe not. I have enjoyed all my value stays so this thing doesn't ruin a vacation for me or anything, I'm just trying to plan ahead and minimize the stuff I don't like.

So it looks like I will be at POP on my fall trip. I try to stick to Values when I'm solo and POP will finish off the Value category for me. I thought it would be cool to have stayed at every Value, and you never know, maybe I'll get to POP and love it.

So a weird question for you in the know. I'm not a fan of the giant Icon décor. And not just in a not my taste of decoration way, but in a serious giant icons (especially those with faces/eyes) creep me out way. I'm the person at the Natural History Museum that walks around the edge of the room so that I don't have to walk under the giant whale hanging from the ceiling. I took the stairs (with luggage) at AoA so that I didn't have to walk by Ursula to use the elevator. I'm that serious about it. I've always had this phobia, from the time I was a child, there's not even some event to explain it, but it is what it is. Maybe too many Saturday morning, Godzilla import movies.

I won't have a panic attack or anything but I am uncomfortable even walking by them. At Music (my favorite value so far) there are no face icons and while I tend to walk faster if I have to go through those particular breezeways with the icons, I'm pretty okay with it. Which is why I'm willing to give POP a go, I know that there is a mix of icons there.

At the other values I've been lucky enough to either be in a building with object icons or was able to avoid most of the creepy face stuff by sticking to open walkways and the backsides of buildings. I was in the Surf area at Sports, Fantasia at Movies and Ursula (fail) at AoA.

I'm just doing a standard room, where would you suggest I request. Near the buses would be nice but honestly the avoidance of eyes would take priority.

I don't mind the smaller statuary, it's really just the giant (bigger than normal) stuff. I'm going to withhold judgment on the Foosball area but I don't like the pictures of it so maybe not. I have enjoyed all my value stays so this thing doesn't ruin a vacation for me or anything, I'm just trying to plan ahead and minimize the stuff I don't like.

This map may help. It shows all the room categories along with were the icons are and you can see which locations would be closest to transportation. Just keep in mind that the play-doh building 3 does have large play doh animals in the icon (that doesn't show in the map). Also the 1st post on this thread is GREAT and shows pictures of each icon and that will give you an idea of what they look like. I think building 9 would be your closest to transportation with an icon with faces/eyes. I would say that building 10 (0-the big wheels building) would be a good location but then you have to go through the giant fuse ball people and they even freak me out. :rotfl:
http://s962.photobucket.com/user/br...PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg.html

Hope this helps :thumbsup2

Some of the 60s top floor rooms have a poor lake view. Many are obscured by trees/corner views. If Lake View is a priority, then maybe consider 50s and Lake view? If so, you may have an additional 3-5 min walk to the bus/cafeteria in the morning. Its not a big deal in the morning, but may be more of an issue going back to your room after a long day in the park. Personally, I will deal with the extra 5 min walk to the 50s if its in a location that I like. I have stayed in both 60s & 50s. I love the 60s for the easy walk & proximity to the bus. I love the 50s, top floor, lakeview for the view out the window including some partial fireworks view. Its all good & your choice simply depends on what you value most. All the best!

Just chiming in here. I definitely agree that the top floor, lakeview in the 50's is a great location, especially if you get building 3. We have always requested 50's, top floor, lakeview. Our first trip to POP we had the perfect room; building 3, top floor, lakeview in room 3434. Great location to watch the fireworks if we were back from the parks early enough. We loved that room. The next year we also got building 3, lakeview, top floor in room 3430. I think 50's, top floor has become a much more popular request; Since that 2nd trip, we have not gotten a top floor room in building 3 again. We have gotten building 3, lakeview on floors 2 & 3 and then during our past 2 trips, we have gotten building 2 on the 2nd floor on the side of the pool but at the very end closest to the lake and then last September we got lake view in building 2 on the ground floor. I love the 50's section but building 2 is really a long trek after a full day at the parks.

:tinker:Pixie dust that you get the perfect lakeview room!

Good points! I think we were in building 3 last time. I really liked that area. We were not top floor, I think 3rd floor. hmmm. I really liked that one. Maybe I'll suggest building 3 (or 50s section) and lakeview rather than top floor. But then again, I am not too picky with areas, and I kind of like seeing different sections. I've been to Pop 3 times, and I've been in building 5 then 4 and 3 last time. Lots to think about! So maybe lakeview and top floor. Hahahaha. (I was about to say I don't often make requests, but I think the last 2-3 trips I have.)

this is a question for those whom have deorated their room windows at POP, what did you use to hold up your lights and things in the windows? We are bringing fishing wire for the hanging things I have but can't figure out how to get the lights to stay.

this is a question for those whom have deorated their room windows at POP, what did you use to hold up your lights and things in the windows? We are bringing fishing wire for the hanging things I have but can't figure out how to get the lights to stay.

Haven't stayed at POP yet but I used small suction cups with hooks. I got them at Walmart for a few bucks.

You can just see them at the top of the ribbons, which were not light due to the weight of the pins.

image.jpg

Haven't stayed at POP yet but I used small suction cups with hooks. I got them at Walmart for a few bucks.

You can just see them at the top of the ribbons, which were not light due to the weight of the pins.

View attachment 100704

I didn't even think of that!!!! Great idea!!! Thanks!!! I know we are set for the door, last I checked it was metal and we have tons of cool magnets to put on our door. Very excited!!!

Hi. I have two types of questions about Pop. First, do we get magic bands free even if we just stay one night? Do we get them on check in? I am meeting the other three people sharing the room w me, and I will be there first one there and I am the person the ressie is under. When I check in do I get to collect everyone's MB then? If so then I can add them to MDE before the chaos (they) arrive, lol. So I'm hoping the answer to that is yes.
The second question is room location. I booked a non prefered pool view. Is there a section I should request that isnt in the prefered section but that is closest to the lobby and food court? I'm assuming that booking pool view means I will already be facing a pool? Is there anything else I should know about requesting a building/room at pop?
Thank you!

Does anyone know if POP food court has Original Silk Soymilk?

The only soy milk they had was the very very vanilla (which DD hated) and the chocolate (which she loved), they were over $2 for an individual. If buying a kids meal though that includes a drink you can substitute the soy milk for regular for no extra charge. The first time we picked up soy milk they charged us for it, after thinking about it I asked if we could swap it next time and the cashier said she could but did not speak for everyone, we never had a problem with it though no matter where we were.

Is it difficult to get a seat then? There will be 10 of us there Christmas week, and I, too, am starting to worry about the buses. Most of us are good to stand but I worry about my mom having to stand for too long on the bus. I guess we will see how it goes. My brother will have at least one of their cars available so we could always split up and half of us ride the bus and half go by car.

Most of the time someone gave up their seat for an older person or someone with a small kiddo, unless we were packed like sardines and there was no room to move around. But like a previous poster said, you can always step aside and wait for another bus if the current one is too full. I found that if you do have to stand, stay by the stairs, that way when the bus starts to move she can sit down.

Is that the best way? Or maybe a bus to another park, then grab the GF bus from there?

The quickest and easiest would be to take a taxi from Pop to GF. It would probably be about $19-$21 and take about 15-20 minutes.

Thanks for the responses! The taxi idea actually appeals to me. That way we could take our luggage with us to GF, and leave from there w/o going back to POP (we aren't going to the airport, but heading for a visit to the dark side . . . shhh.). Would we be able to leave our luggage with the GF bell staff even tho we aren't guests there?

A cab is going to be the quickest and easiest method to get there. We took a cab from GF to Pop on our stay after a long day and not wanting to deal with transfers. Total:$24.84 with 15% gratuity
We paid with a credit card and it prompted us to select a % of gratuity for the driver, I did not see a way to opt out and pay gratuity with cash but it was late and we were tired so I might have missed it.

This is going to sound crazy, but we used paper clips and string. We unbent the paper clips and used them similar to the shape of a Christmas ornament hanger and tied the string on one end. Then we used tape to tape down and hold the string where we wanted it. Some people are against using tape, and it should not be used where it would damage paint, or leave residue on the glass. We removed it all before we left and you could not see anything left behind etc.

I will say, I had planned on hanging them from the curtain rods with those paper clips, that was the original plan but it's not really a curtain rod so that did not work out. Thus the above last minute arrangement. :rotfl: I love bookgirl's suction cup idea and will be getting some of those for our trip this time!

We went to the dollar tree and got the off brand smallest command hooks. I think there were 6 for $1. Simple to stick and simple to take off and throw away. They worked great and they were clear so they didn't show which would have been no big deal even if they did.

Hi. I have two types of questions about Pop. First, do we get magic bands free even if we just stay one night? Do we get them on check in? I am meeting the other three people sharing the room w me, and I will be there first one there and I am the person the ressie is under. When I check in do I get to collect everyone's MB then? If so then I can add them to MDE before the chaos (they) arrive, lol. So I'm hoping the answer to that is yes.
The second question is room location. I booked a non prefered pool view. Is there a section I should request that isnt in the prefered section but that is closest to the lobby and food court? I'm assuming that booking pool view means I will already be facing a pool? Is there anything else I should know about requesting a building/room at pop?
Thank you!

If you live in the US, they will ship them to you. If you are from anywhere else, then you must wait until you check in to get your MBs. Add your reservation to your MDE account and see if you can select the color of your MBs.

Anyone else at POP recently and notice the constant pressure washing? Is this a normal thing? It woke us up 4 out of 8 mornings and was highly annoying. I asked the lady at check out and she pretty much said yes, it was constant, but good gracious it was LOUD. They didn't even have to be that close to our room. And why do they do it so early? I guess early is relative, but I'd think they'd maybe start a little later in the day.

Anyone else at POP recently and notice the constant pressure washing? Is this a normal thing? It woke us up 4 out of 8 mornings and was highly annoying. I asked the lady at check out and she pretty much said yes, it was constant, but good gracious it was LOUD. They didn't even have to be that close to our room. And why do they do it so early? I guess early is relative, but I'd think they'd maybe start a little later in the day.
They do it every day. They clean off the pool deck every morning.

I'm so glad I have found this thread to read though! My boyfriend and I are staying at POP in August and I'm super excited! I've stayed at the All Star hotels before but decided to change it up a little bit and stay elsewhere, and POP looked like it was right up my ally! We are able to check-in on-line in a week, so I've been trying to find things to look into to keep me occupied! I've only gone through a few pages, but very excited to see what everyone has to say!

I'm so glad I have found this thread to read though! My boyfriend and I are staying at POP in August and I'm super excited! I've stayed at the All Star hotels before but decided to change it up a little bit and stay elsewhere, and POP looked like it was right up my ally! We are able to check-in on-line in a week, so I've been trying to find things to look into to keep me occupied! I've only gone through a few pages, but very excited to see what everyone has to say!

Have fun. You will love Pop =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter