• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend September 4-6, 2015 10th Anniversary

I am curious from anyone who has participated in any of the runDisney events at Disneyland where they would recommend staying for the race weekend? I want something that is definitely in walking distance, ideally, not more than 10 mins away. I currently have reservations at the Howard Johnson, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, and could get reservations to the Ramada Plaza (not maingate), or either Best Western Plus Pavillions or Stovalls.
All suggestions are appreciated!!

I think the only hotels that will get you within a 10 minute walk (of the race precinct I assume you mean) are the Disney owned ones, the closest being the DLH.

Out of the hotels you've listed, BW Stovalls is probably closest to the race precinct, followed by Fairfield Inn. The walk from the closest Harbor hotels to the corrals is about 20 minutes (we did it last year), but it takes longer to get back if the race hasn't finished yet because you need to cross the course several times through DTD and go through bag check when you cross the entry plaza. Honestly, the worst part for me wasn't walking to and from the start/finish line - it was standing around for an hour once we got there waiting for the race to actually start. But of course the shorter your walk is, the longer you can sleep in on race morning!

If you're talking about proximity to the parks, Fairfield Inn and HoJos are definitely closest and well within a 10 minute walk.

I think the only hotels that will get you within a 10 minute walk (of the race precinct I assume you mean) are the Disney owned ones, the closest being the DLH.

Out of the hotels you've listed, BW Stovalls is probably closest to the race precinct, followed by Fairfield Inn. The walk from the closest Harbor hotels to the corrals is about 20 minutes (we did it last year), but it takes longer to get back if the race hasn't finished yet because you need to cross the course several times through DTD and go through bag check when you cross the entry plaza. Honestly, the worst part for me wasn't walking to and from the start/finish line - it was standing around for an hour once we got there waiting for the race to actually start. But of course the shorter your walk is, the longer you can sleep in on race morning!

If you're talking about proximity to the parks, Fairfield Inn and HoJos are definitely closest and well within a 10 minute walk.

Thank you for the response!

I did the Glass Slipper Challenge in February so I understand the waiting for the race to start. At least for this race it isn't be here, then wait for the corrals to open, then walk a bit to the corrals and then wait some more! This seems a little more straight forward and just walk to the corrals, if I'm not mistaken.

I can see how the walk back could be tough trying to get back to the hotels if the race is still going on - that's something I didn't consider.

I am curious from anyone who has participated in any of the runDisney events at Disneyland where they would recommend staying for the race weekend? I want something that is definitely in walking distance, ideally, not more than 10 mins away. I currently have reservations at the Howard Johnson, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, and could get reservations to the Ramada Plaza (not maingate), or either Best Western Plus Pavillions or Stovalls.
All suggestions are appreciated!!

Based on your list, I would go w/ either Stovall's or Fairfield. HoJo's is close but a little bit further than Fairfield and Pavilion's is further than Stovall's. Something also to consider is how close you want to be to the parks if you're going to the parks. In that case, Fairfield is the closest on your list. Like Zanzibar mentioned, Stovall's is closet race-wise and to get back to the hotel, you'll have to cross the course near Paradise Pier. They do a really good job letting the people cross, but it can be a drag if it's warm out and you just finished running. On the other hand, if stay at Fairfield's you'll have to go through the security line, and while they've gotten better about letting runners through w/o checking their drop bag, if there are a lot of people in line, you'll have to wait.

So - question for all y'all experienced Disneyland Halfers!

What can I expect crowds to be like following the half on Sunday?

I ask because - brunch is pretty much my most favorite meal, so I'd like to have a nice brunch post-race. So, I'm just torn with whether to do breakfast/brunch right away OR to hit the parks first for a bit, and then try to grab the latest breakfast/brunch reservation I can get - and I'm thinking of Steakhouse 55.

Any thoughts? I'm going to post the same query on the W.I.S.H. thread too, so I apologize in advance for the double post!

So - question for all y'all experienced Disneyland Halfers!

What can I expect crowds to be like following the half on Sunday?

I ask because - brunch is pretty much my most favorite meal, so I'd like to have a nice brunch post-race. So, I'm just torn with whether to do breakfast/brunch right away OR to hit the parks first for a bit, and then try to grab the latest breakfast/brunch reservation I can get - and I'm thinking of Steakhouse 55.

Any thoughts? I'm going to post the same query on the W.I.S.H. thread too, so I apologize in advance for the double post!
I've found that even though it's a 3 day weekend, while there are crowds, it's nowhere near a holiday-esque crowd or even like SW or Avengers. A lot of that is b/c all the APs except the premium are blocked Sun. I was there through Tues a few years back and Mon was actually more crowded than Sun.

As for parks 1st or eat 1st, that's a hard one. If you'll be really hungry after the race, go for food 1st, but if you can go a little bit w/o a big meal, I'm like that, then parks for a bit and catch the monorail back over to the hotel for Steakhouse. Another thing to keep in mind, is that there'll probably be more runners eating later rather than earlier b/c everybody's finishing/showering, so it might be easier to score a ressie earlier rather than later.

I've found that even though it's a 3 day weekend, while there are crowds, it's nowhere near a holiday-esque crowd or even like SW or Avengers. A lot of that is b/c all the APs except the premium are blocked Sun. I was there through Tues a few years back and Mon was actually more crowded than Sun.

As for parks 1st or eat 1st, that's a hard one. If you'll be really hungry after the race, go for food 1st, but if you can go a little bit w/o a big meal, I'm like that, then parks for a bit and catch the monorail back over to the hotel for Steakhouse. Another thing to keep in mind, is that there'll probably be more runners eating later rather than earlier b/c everybody's finishing/showering, so it might be easier to score a ressie earlier rather than later.

Thanks, Kim!!

I've found that it's taking me anywhere between 2-3 hours post long run before I'm ready for food. The husband, on the other half, devoured to large brunch plates less than an hour after we finished on Saturday.

I was pleasantly surprised by the crowds last year. The Saturday was our last day in the parks, but up to that point, it really wasn't too bad. Sure, there are plenty of runners there, but a lot of them are preparing for/recovering from running and don't spend all day and all night in the parks.

Last year we had an 11:30am ressie at Blue Bayou for our post 10k celebratory 'brunch'. It was actually pretty good timing. Immediately after the run we got a couple of lighter options from the hotel breakfast (I think Mum and I shared a bagel). We had plenty of time for the 4 of us to leisurely shower and change, and hit the park with enough time to get photos with Pluto, pick up FPs for Indy, and attend a short DisMeet before checking in at BB. By that time we were all hungry enough for it to be worth it. I'm like you, I can't eat anything big or heavy immediately after a big run.

Of course, that was after the 10k, so after the half there wouldn't be as much time, but you could always get ready at not quite such a leisurely pace lol!

I'm considering booking a WOC lunch package at Carthay Circle for this year's post-run celebration :thumbsup2

Could you please add me and my DH to the list of runners.
This will be our 9th yr running this race and only wish we did it the very first year.

Please add me to the list of runners as well. This will be my second DLH marathon and my second Coast to Coast as well.

Like princess_jamie, I also have two reservations, one at the Fairfield Inn and the second is at the Candy Cane Inn. Any thoughts on distance from the Candy Cane to the start/finish?

Please add me to the list of runners as well. This will be my second DLH marathon and my second Coast to Coast as well.

Like princess_jamie, I also have two reservations, one at the Fairfield Inn and the second is at the Candy Cane Inn. Any thoughts on distance from the Candy Cane to the start/finish?
I think CC is a little further than Fairfield, but still walkable race morning. It's easier to go up DTD like you would w/ Fairfield than down Katella and up DL Drive.

Could you please add me and my DH to the list of runners.
This will be our 9th yr running this race and only wish we did it the very first year.

Getting you both added now!

I have to say, with W&D registration this morning I'm feeling blue that I backed out of this event this year. Boo!

I have to say, with W&D registration this morning I'm feeling blue that I backed out of this event this year. Boo!

Oh no! What happened?

I keep seeing all these upset posts about reg on different groups but don't get what the issue was/is. It sold out fast, all the rD events sell out fast. And after EE next month combined w/ no TOT, it's the only nighttime race at WDW so of course it's going to sell out faster than ever. I don't get the surprise. :confused3

Oh no! What happened?

I keep seeing all these upset posts about reg on different groups but don't get what the issue was/is. It sold out fast, all the rD events sell out fast. And after EE next month combined w/ no TOT, it's the only nighttime race at WDW so of course it's going to sell out faster than ever. I don't get the surprise. :confused3

I more meant that with the excitement of it all and being bitten by the runDisney bug again I'm sad I'm missing out on this one ;)

But that being said, it's just the hullabaloo about it. Man I have never heard so many people gripe about registration before. A sell out, and a quick one at that, is nothing new. At least not in my experience for the Disneyland events. It's so confusing, but I wish people put as much effort into finding alternative ways into the event (legal alternative ways, like TA's and Charities) as they do complaining about it. I get the need to vent frustrations but some people made it out to be the end of the world.

For the running pros out there, what do you do between big races to keep up with the training? We're running a half at the end of May, then the DL half in September. We'll probably sign up for a race here or there in between, but for weekly training, what do you recommend?

For the running pros out there, what do you do between big races to keep up with the training? We're running a half at the end of May, then the DL half in September. We'll probably sign up for a race here or there in between, but for weekly training, what do you recommend?
You could cut back during June and do maintenance runs, then pick back up July and Aug. Depending on what you're doing now for training and how often you'd like to run, you could do 3-4 days per week. Smaller runs for 2-3 days and for your long runs do 8-9 every other week and on the other weeks 6-7. Another option could be run the 1/2 and see what worked or didn't work for you and what you want to do better in DL, then work on that during June. For example you want to get stronger, so you could do a lot of hill runs and incorporate strength training if you're not already doing that or you want to get faster so do a lot of speed work. Hope that helps!

Which one are you running?

You could cut back during June and do maintenance runs, then pick back up July and Aug. Depending on what you're doing now for training and how often you'd like to run, you could do 3-4 days per week. Smaller runs for 2-3 days and for your long runs do 8-9 every other week and on the other weeks 6-7. Another option could be run the 1/2 and see what worked or didn't work for you and what you want to do better in DL, then work on that during June. For example you want to get stronger, so you could do a lot of hill runs and incorporate strength training if you're not already doing that or you want to get faster so do a lot of speed work. Hope that helps!

Which one are you running?

We're running in the Calgary Marathon, well, the Calgary HALF Marathon.

We ran 10 miles/16km yesterday, mostly so we could go home and polish off the pie in the fridge.

We're running in the Calgary Marathon, well, the Calgary HALF Marathon.

We ran 10 miles/16km yesterday, mostly so we could go home and polish off the pie in the fridge.

Are you from Calgary? I've never done the half but I did the 10k a couple years ago before my first ever half marathon and it was a great day!

Are you from Calgary? I've never done the half but I did the 10k a couple years ago before my first ever half marathon and it was a great day!

I am from Calgary. I assume you are too? This will be my first time doing any of the distances at the event. I only ran my first 5km last year in August!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter