• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend September 4-6, 2015 10th Anniversary

Training is going pretty well at our house. We're back up to 10 miles after my surgery-induced running hiatus. I've cut back the number of runs I've been doing each week, but I should really stop slacking on hill day though.

We're only running one race, the half marathon. No costumes for us because we're lame like that. Maybe a mouse ears headband, MAYBE...

We made one dinning reservation. We're doing a WoC dinner package on race day. I'm hoping i'm not asleep by show time.

We're staying at the Del Sol, mainly because it was the only "across the street" hotel left in our price range when we got around to booking. I'm sure as long as there's a bed, shower and lock on the door it'll be fine.

Well, everyone! You're only a few weeks away now. I'm excited for everyone. I'm just about to go through and make sure I have updated the runner list correctly (can't wait to find out everyones corral placements in the near future) but I was wondering ...

Is anyone interested in trying to put together another small Disneyland DIS board meet? I just need some day/time suggestions from those of you running, as I will simply be working this year.

Asking this over here - since this thread seems a little more DL-related than the W.I.S.H. thread!

So - PhotoPass+. I know I want to purchase it in advance - but is there any reason why I shouldn't buy it now or should I wait until a little closer to our trip?

Also, we'll be sharing it with our entire 8-person group. I know they give you one card to show photographers, but for ride photos and things when we split up, is there a way we can link it all back together?

I know you asked this a while back, but I didn't see anyone mention what to do about the ride photos. If I happened to skip past it, sorry! The tips about the general PP photos out in the area and having everyone grab their own regular cards and getting them added is perfect, but it won't work that way with attraction photos as there you pay up front per photo, meaning they have to physically have the PP+ card to get a photo added without being charged. Just have everyone collect the photo numbers and at the end of your trip (or each day as you go along) have the person "in charge" of the card go to the attraction and get the image added. They physically have to have the card in their hand, it can't be a photo or anything like that. But otherwise super simple!

I have not done a darn thing as far as training (although I don't "run" for time)... just hoping I don't get swept. This is my one and only 10K

I would love to meet some of you folks but since it falls on Labor Day weekend and I have only a deluxe AP, the only day I will be in the parks is Friday

I'm in the same boat, ten6mom. I used to say I was training for a 10k, but my husband told me I couldn't call the app on my phone that I use once a week "training." This is my very first 10K, I have never done anything over a 5K. I enjoy running but I am very slow....so I'm also praying to just finish without getting swept, I don't care how long it takes.

I'm in the same boat, ten6mom. I used to say I was training for a 10k, but my husband told me I couldn't call the app on my phone that I use once a week "training." This is my very first 10K, I have never done anything over a 5K. I enjoy running but I am very slow....so I'm also praying to just finish without getting swept, I don't care how long it takes.

Ha! I was thinking about this today. I have achillies tendonitis that I was stressing over and today I am at peace with it. I'm not looking to PR my 5k this trip. I'm just going to enjoy!

This training has been some of the best but also some of the hardest I have done. I completed 5 half marathons from September 2014 to January 2015, but never had back to back training days like the DDD training plan calls for. The only training days I missed were in the first week of June because I was in WDW. :) I am trying my best to get in the full 45 min during each of the weekday runs, but since I have to run after work, I have had a few days where I was lucky to get in the minimum 30 min.

I added a mile to each of the Saturday "walks" before the Sunday long run. I did not feel that building up to 5 miles would prepare me enough. I am also adding in short running intervals since I plan on using them during the 10K. I have 4 miles on Saturday and 11 on Sunday, so this will be the hardest yet. I am thinking about trying to get up early on Fridays to get in a long walk before work since I will also be doing the 5K.

I have a countdown timer on my phone. Just 43 days 8 hours until my plane leaves for SNA!

I have not done a darn thing as far as training (although I don't "run" for time)... just hoping I don't get swept. This is my one and only 10K

I would love to meet some of you folks but since it falls on Labor Day weekend and I have only a deluxe AP, the only day I will be in the parks is Friday

You guys will do great! There's still time to get a lot of runs in. It's for a 1/2 but Women's Running had an article about starting training for a 1/2 late w/ 1 or 2 months left. You can cut down the mileage to help.

Ha! I was thinking about this today. I have achillies tendonitis that I was stressing over and today I am at peace with it. I'm not looking to PR my 5k this trip. I'm just going to enjoy!

Have you tried KT or Rock Tape for the back of your ankle to help? Hope it gets better soon!

This training has been some of the best but also some of the hardest I have done. I completed 5 half marathons from September 2014 to January 2015, but never had back to back training days like the DDD training plan calls for. The only training days I missed were in the first week of June because I was in WDW. :) I am trying my best to get in the full 45 min during each of the weekday runs, but since I have to run after work, I have had a few days where I was lucky to get in the minimum 30 min.

I added a mile to each of the Saturday "walks" before the Sunday long run. I did not feel that building up to 5 miles would prepare me enough. I am also adding in short running intervals since I plan on using them during the 10K. I have 4 miles on Saturday and 11 on Sunday, so this will be the hardest yet. I am thinking about trying to get up early on Fridays to get in a long walk before work since I will also be doing the 5K.

I have a countdown timer on my phone. Just 43 days 8 hours until my plane leaves for SNA!

Nice job on getting all the runs in! It definitely helps your confidence come race weekend. I'm hoping for a good run for the 1/2 and close to, if not breaking a pr.

I just saw the medals and I love them! Hubs and I are doing the 5K this year and training through Couch 2 5K to reach our goal. We want to use this race and the Avengers to pace our goal of running the 10K at the Tink event. We're skipping Star Wars due to timing - not great with vacations and such.

I hope to one day be running a half marathon like the rest of you. For now we'll enjoy our plastic medals and celebrate our accomplishment of completing a 5k!!

Have you tried KT or Rock Tape for the back of your ankle to help? Hope it gets better soon!

Yes and thank you! Works great. Yesterday I tried to run without it and I was pretty stiff at the end of the day. I'm going to just use it for the duration.

I just saw the medals and I love them! Hubs and I are doing the 5K this year and training through Couch 2 5K to reach our goal. We want to use this race and the Avengers to pace our goal of running the 10K at the Tink event. We're skipping Star Wars due to timing - not great with vacations and such.

I hope to one day be running a half marathon like the rest of you. For now we'll enjoy our plastic medals and celebrate our accomplishment of completing a 5k!!

Don't ever feel like you are 'only' doing a 5k. That is a huge achievement and something to be very proud of :goodvibes And yes, love the medal this year!

The Disney 5K's are so much fun! If they weren't always on a Friday I would do the 5K every time. My kids and I do a couple 5K's in So. CA during the year so we could make it a whole family event. Last year the Avenger's race worked out great for us because there was no 10K for the Inaugural run and the 5K was on Sat. So I ran it with my 7 year old. It was a blast, we took our time and enjoyed it. We didn't do character pictures but we took pictures at every mile marker, all the cool Disneyland and DCA spots (castle, ferris wheel). Sadly I can't justify pulling my kids out of school 4x's a year just for a Disney race :(

My husband and I are supposed to run the 10K together, but our sitter (my MIL who we asked months ago) is already backing out and we don't have anyone else. So it might be he will have to sit it out (he's running the 10K for Avengers alone in Nov). Now I'm double nervous and a bit bummed. But, there's still several weeks left so hopefully we can find someone to watch the kids for us.

my daughter and I will be volunteering for the first time for this, She just moved back to Cal., and I thought this was a good way to go visit and find out about the run Disney events before we do the Tinkerbell in May.
Thanks for volunteering!! :yay:

You are going to have so much fun at Tink, rD races are the best and so addicting. :goodvibes

I just saw the medals and I'm soooo excited! The Half Marathon medal is legit! Also, put me down, tentatively, for another DIS meet up. I'd like to meet up, but depending on work schedule and other stuff, it'll probably be a last minute decision for me.

You all seem experienced with going to DL in September. I see the fireworks are now on the schedule every night at 8:35.Does that sound about right? The rest of the schedule is still TBA so I'm a little nervous about the accuracy and I'm making dining reservations. I'd hate to miss the fireworks.

You all seem experienced with going to DL in September. I see the fireworks are now on the schedule every night at 8:35.Does that sound about right? The rest of the schedule is still TBA so I'm a little nervous about the accuracy and I'm making dining reservations. I'd hate to miss the fireworks.
Where are you finding the fireworks schedule?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter